“Good place....but not for the beach.” 4 of 5 stars

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lameque
“Good place....but not for the beach.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel form april,13 -20 2014
That was our second time at this hotel. We were there 7 years ago and at this time, they had a nice beach and right now the beach is gone but still have the little lagoon , very nice if you have young kids. The food at the buffet is alright and a la carte id ok. not a lot of choice at the buffet.
The hotel is clean but the room need to be refresh. If your lay near the lagoon and the gril. Ask Valerio for the service. He is very friendly and you'll never need to walk to the bar for a drink....hihi.
CON: there some kind of timesharing a the hotel so when you are in vacation you don't want to loose a day for a visit and meeting....Stay away from them.

Room Tip: We were on 2104, nice place and very close from the lobby and main pool. Good view of the garden.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank sbouee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Polish first
Nelson, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Hands down the WORST all inclusive we've ever stayed at. Run down! But there is significant effort to get ppl to upgrade to PRIVILEGED at a mere $100/night extra. Our "garden view" was staring at the building wall in front of us. Balconies had danger tape across many of them deeming them dangerous/unsafe. Rooms were horrific. Beds are like sleeping on cement. Pillows are almost non existent. Paper thin walls and critters in walls. Moldy curtains, water damage (air conditioner mold, too?). All the doors and locks are sketchy and consistently look like someone's tried to kick them in. Buffet food is of low quality and most often at the wrong temperature. Heard and overheard nothing but complaints from other guests the entire time we were there other than one couple who had apparently not travelled before. Some real horror stories. Many who arrived during our stay found the hotel overbooked and they were redirected to another hotel for a few days then returned to this one, eating into their holidays in transit. Airport shuttle failed to show. This is NOT a four star resort! The plus side? Friendly staff (it's not their fault) and the ala carte restaurants were well worth it. Regardless, we will NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: At a different resort
6 Thank skh847
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in December 2013 and had a fantastic time. I am a travel agent, so have stayed in many, many hotels & resorts, and the Catalonia Yucatan was a great experience. There are two hotels side by side (Catalonia Yucatan and the Catalonia Riviera Maya) with 2 lobbies, but once inside, you can't tell that there is a difference and can use the facilities at both resorts. I would rate the room as a 4 star, the service as a 4.5 star and the food as a 5 star. The beach was good, but the ocean wasn't great for swimming as there were some rocks and the waves were quite high. However, the pools were good. They have a quiet pool (on the Yucatan side) and a more active pool (karaoke, pool volleyball, etc) on the Riviera Maya side. There are 2 buffet restaurants (one air conditioned and one open-air with nets to keep the birds out) which were always great with tons of options, plus the creperie which didn't require an ala carte ticket. Then, we were allowed four of the following options: Tappanyaki (Japanese) (fantastic!), Italian (very good), Mexican (very good) and the steakhouse (we never went). There is also a Tapas restaurant, which charges a premium, but with the other options being so good, we didn't bother to go. There were plenty of sports activities, both water and land based. They even had a library that you could use. There was a foreign exchange office and an ATM on site. They also brought in a night market approx 4 times during the week we were there. They had a show every night (OK), plus a live music act (really good) in the lounge just outside the showroom. They also have a disco on site, but we never went.

They don't have a hot tub, but do have whirlpools in both main swimming pools (they also have a kid's pool). They have a kids program, but we never saw too many kids there.

The area of Puerto Aventuras is a perfect location. The entire area is walled and gated, so safety is not an issue. We borrowed bicycles from the resort (hi Raul!) and spent 2 hours riding around the area - even happened across a small Mayan ruin (an old lighthouse-type thing). They are developing the southern end of Puerto Aventuras (where the ruin is), so I am sure there will be more fantastic resorts popping up soon.

The town of Puerto Aventuras (a 10-min walk from the Catalonia) was great! They had a dolphinarium, several gelato and convenience stores, a great Catamaran company (Fast Catz - really good tour - thanks Oscar!) a little restaurant and a bar. Lots of other shops too. Very laid back and slow-paced. Not like Playa del Carmen at all!

We went to Coba on a day tour (Coba Mayan Village) with Magic Tours (I believe) which was EXCELLENT (thanks Ariel). We also went to Rio Secreto and had the best tour guide there (although I can't remember her name for the life of me!) Overall, we had a wonderful experience and would definitely go back. I have recommended this property to several of my clients and have booked it repeatedly since I got home. I have never had a complaint!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach. If you get one by the road (like we originally did), ask to be c...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BonnieTravelAgent
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Bonnie Travel Agent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely

St. Catharines, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Hi all! So if you are reading this page than you are considering booking at Catalonia Yucatan resort. I have been travelling thru out Mexico now for the last 15 years and have stayed at many, many all-inclusive resorts. I do usually book last minute as I find you can get some awesome deals that way. My spouse and I booked via air transit this resort from April 9th –April 16th. For the price I paid for two 1738.00 Canadian, again last minute, booked April 1st, I believe this was a pretty good deal.
What you should know about this hotel-You must, must, and again must upgrade to a privileged room! Basic rooms have no mini fridge and have terrible locations and feel very close to each other. This is what happened to us, upon arrival, thank goodness we were the first in line as booking in is very , very slow, I asked for a room with a mini fridge, they said there is no fridge , I would have to upgrade to a privileged room. Normally this would cost an extra 350.00 but at a special price of only 150.00 they would do this for me, this seems to be their catch line, since we were under budget we decided to upgrade, here is the snag,- I wanted to pay cash for the upgrade as I do not like to use my credit card in different countries, no could not pay cash must use credit card, so I did but because I was using Amex they had to charge a convince fee came to 170.00 with the exchange. If you book privileged you also get access to separate bar, beach chairs, beach service, restaurants and way better room location..So let’s talk about room location after being assigned to our room staff assisted us with our luggage he put the room key in and the next thing we know a lady comes to the door asking what we were doing, seems our key fit in the room but the room was already assigned to someone else. When we went back to the counter advised showing concern that we could have walked into an already occupied room, the desk manager immediately apologized and said ok here is a better room, which location wise it really was (building 7 room 7013) I would recommend building 6, 7 or 8 perfect location. The rooms are really basic, tiny , great shower pressure at all times, who needs an elaborate room only in it to sleep, but all 4 star resorts should include a mini fridge , this is the only one we had to upgrade to get the fridge.
The beach, well as you have read, rocky and more rocky, something took a bite of my spouse’s foot, I scraped my ankle and bottom of foot on rocks.. if you have every swam in lake Erie (many years ago) Long beach it is about as rocky as that, you really do need water shoes, kids cannot play in it at all. You can go to the Dreams resort area, which is about a 3 minute walk to the right, sandy and you can walk into but shallow and small area. Snorkeling off to the left of the resort-average.
We found the buffet food average as in all resorts, you should really try the al carte`s the steak house was our favorite. No reservation, you should go at 6 pm to get in, if already booked they will take your ticket and tell you when to come back. This was not a problem for us as we would just have a couple of drinks while waiting. I found the food in the al cartes to be really good.
We took bicycles(which are supplied free, should tip) by the resort, rode into the marina area, had a fabulous lunch , ordered a seafood plate was so fresh, awesome…had 3 coronas and 3 glass of really good white wine bill was 75.00 a bit pricey but super good and lots of food La Chaya Puerto Aventuras chef Ricardo Garrido-server/ host Hector Tririno, I highly recommend this as an out of resort lunch/supper.
The one thing I would complain about is how they divide their clientele, while I was at the Chill out bar( used for preferred members only, special colour wrist band) a woman approached the bar and ask for a water refill, the bartender was not rude, however he apologized and told her he could not server her was for a preferred member. How terrible this was…. I really did not like how the resort clearly treated the different room types, for that reason and bad beach I would not go back to this resort. There are many more resorts with beautiful long beaches that don’t make you feel like a second class person that I would and will chose in the future. All in all, good food, sun was shining ocean was warm and we were out of the snow and cold…….happy travels

Room Tip: upgrade to priveleged a must, building 6, 7 or 8 Yucatan side
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank kmckmc
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Food - Quite simply the food was excellent - Totally agreeable. Tres agreable

The staff - They were fantastic- very friendly and helpful. Especially the cooks on the front line and the bar tenders at all the sites. And the waiters and servers were top notch. Any business owner would be proud of such effort.

The amenties - The a la cartes, the bicycles, the sailing, the pools the proximity to the dolphins, sea lions and manatees all made me quite happy

Also there are many opportunities to meet new people. Wish I had booked two weeks.

Room Tip: the reception made a good choice
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Patrick O
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Patrick O.

Sincerely

Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Due to the terrible beds that were rock hard and the awful pillows, it was difficult to enjoy this vacation.
It is a fairly congested hotel layout which may suit city people but if you have a touch of claustrophopia , the grounds are concentrated around the pool area.

The room was okay. The tile floors everywhere are very slippery especially when wet.

The front desk is the worst we have ever encountered. No problems are solved there.

We asked for a 5 A.M. wake-up call on the departure date.. The phone rang at 3;20 A. M.

The a la carte restaurants are good. We did not try the Japanese.

The buffets are repetitive but there is a lot of choice.

Manuel , the bartender ,at the swim-up bar near the Mekado is excellent.

There is a two-tier guest system- the prilileged and the not privileged. If you can , upgrade because the regular is not good. Unfortunately there have to be privileged rooms available with beds that do not kill your back. When we tried to upgrade , there was no availability.

We would like to know if an upgrade is necessary to sleep decently.

The elevators do not work. One was an open hole with no tape across ( on the first floor).

If you have an 4th floor room, be ready to climb stairs.

Nothing broken seems to get fixed e.g. the panini press in the merkado buffet.

Don't go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade and be sure the elevator near you works. Or do not go.
6 Thank Maryann483
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, February 22, 2015
Dear Maryann483,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great Staff at this Hotel but the Beach not the best. This location was recommended by a travel agent but we had wanted a better beach. The main beach area is not sheltered and the heavy wave action makes it unusable for adults and dangerous for kids to be near. The small lagoon beside it is ok but a small area.

The best thing about this Hotel we found was the Staff. Very friendly and helpful. The Chef staff were first class in providing Gluten-Free food options and are to be commended. Restaurant was excellent for food and service.

The worst thing about this Hotel was the extreme beach chair wars. We're used to it but the crazy guests here were brutal because there is not enough shade on the beach so chair upon chair is crammed side by side and some guests will tear your stuff off and throw it on the ground unless you were actually in the chair. The other bad thing the Hotel does on the beach is throw everyone off the beach for wedding's or wedding pictures.....given the competition for the chairs once you get up its gone. That alone is a reason not to come back. I would say this Hotel is better described as a Pool place with a view of the Ocean and leave it at that.

A concern with this hotel is they do play the upgrade pressure game. Book a base room pkg and it seems most shown the worst room at the back on a service walk way with an noisy fan running. Ugh....no good and you pay the extra $120 for an ocean view room.

So not the best resort for us given the negatives around spending a day "on" the beach. Main Hotel itself is fine, Pool good, Food Good... but don't expect to relax Oceanside comfortably.

PS.....Playa Del Carmen has sure developed since we were there last. Quaint touristy town no more.

Room Tip: If you book a base room pkg....plan to upgrade. What you will get otherwise is not likely appealing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 stars 7,319 reviews

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!