“Price and Value”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Hi all! So if you are reading this page than you are considering booking at Catalonia Yucatan resort. I have been travelling thru out Mexico now for the last 15 years and have stayed at many, many all-inclusive resorts. I do usually book last minute as I find you can get some awesome deals that way. My spouse and I booked via air transit this resort from April 9th –April 16th. For the price I paid for two 1738.00 Canadian, again last minute, booked April 1st, I believe this was a pretty good deal.
What you should know about this hotel-You must, must, and again must upgrade to a privileged room! Basic rooms have no mini fridge and have terrible locations and feel very close to each other. This is what happened to us, upon arrival, thank goodness we were the first in line as booking in is very , very slow, I asked for a room with a mini fridge, they said there is no fridge , I would have to upgrade to a privileged room. Normally this would cost an extra 350.00 but at a special price of only 150.00 they would do this for me, this seems to be their catch line, since we were under budget we decided to upgrade, here is the snag,- I wanted to pay cash for the upgrade as I do not like to use my credit card in different countries, no could not pay cash must use credit card, so I did but because I was using Amex they had to charge a convince fee came to 170.00 with the exchange. If you book privileged you also get access to separate bar, beach chairs, beach service, restaurants and way better room location..So let’s talk about room location after being assigned to our room staff assisted us with our luggage he put the room key in and the next thing we know a lady comes to the door asking what we were doing, seems our key fit in the room but the room was already assigned to someone else. When we went back to the counter advised showing concern that we could have walked into an already occupied room, the desk manager immediately apologized and said ok here is a better room, which location wise it really was (building 7 room 7013) I would recommend building 6, 7 or 8 perfect location. The rooms are really basic, tiny , great shower pressure at all times, who needs an elaborate room only in it to sleep, but all 4 star resorts should include a mini fridge , this is the only one we had to upgrade to get the fridge.
The beach, well as you have read, rocky and more rocky, something took a bite of my spouse’s foot, I scraped my ankle and bottom of foot on rocks.. if you have every swam in lake Erie (many years ago) Long beach it is about as rocky as that, you really do need water shoes, kids cannot play in it at all. You can go to the Dreams resort area, which is about a 3 minute walk to the right, sandy and you can walk into but shallow and small area. Snorkeling off to the left of the resort-average.
We found the buffet food average as in all resorts, you should really try the al carte`s the steak house was our favorite. No reservation, you should go at 6 pm to get in, if already booked they will take your ticket and tell you when to come back. This was not a problem for us as we would just have a couple of drinks while waiting. I found the food in the al cartes to be really good.
We took bicycles(which are supplied free, should tip) by the resort, rode into the marina area, had a fabulous lunch , ordered a seafood plate was so fresh, awesome…had 3 coronas and 3 glass of really good white wine bill was 75.00 a bit pricey but super good and lots of food La Chaya Puerto Aventuras chef Ricardo Garrido-server/ host Hector Tririno, I highly recommend this as an out of resort lunch/supper.
The one thing I would complain about is how they divide their clientele, while I was at the Chill out bar( used for preferred members only, special colour wrist band) a woman approached the bar and ask for a water refill, the bartender was not rude, however he apologized and told her he could not server her was for a preferred member. How terrible this was…. I really did not like how the resort clearly treated the different room types, for that reason and bad beach I would not go back to this resort. There are many more resorts with beautiful long beaches that don’t make you feel like a second class person that I would and will chose in the future. All in all, good food, sun was shining ocean was warm and we were out of the snow and cold…….happy travels

Room Tip: upgrade to priveleged a must, building 6, 7 or 8 Yucatan side
8  Thank kmckmc
Write a ReviewReviews (2,076)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Food - Quite simply the food was excellent - Totally agreeable. Tres agreable

The staff - They were fantastic- very friendly and helpful. Especially the cooks on the front line and the bar tenders at all the sites. And the waiters and servers were top notch. Any business owner would be proud of such effort.

The amenties - The a la cartes, the bicycles, the sailing, the pools the proximity to the dolphins, sea lions and manatees all made me quite happy

Also there are many opportunities to meet new people. Wish I had booked two weeks.

Room Tip: the reception made a good choice
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Patrick O
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Patrick O.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Sincerely

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Due to the terrible beds that were rock hard and the awful pillows, it was difficult to enjoy this vacation.
It is a fairly congested hotel layout which may suit city people but if you have a touch of claustrophopia , the grounds are concentrated around the pool area.

The room was okay. The tile floors everywhere are very slippery especially when wet.

The front desk is the worst we have ever encountered. No problems are solved there.

We asked for a 5 A.M. wake-up call on the departure date.. The phone rang at 3;20 A. M.

The a la carte restaurants are good. We did not try the Japanese.

The buffets are repetitive but there is a lot of choice.

Manuel , the bartender ,at the swim-up bar near the Mekado is excellent.

There is a two-tier guest system- the prilileged and the not privileged. If you can , upgrade because the regular is not good. Unfortunately there have to be privileged rooms available with beds that do not kill your back. When we tried to upgrade , there was no availability.

We would like to know if an upgrade is necessary to sleep decently.

The elevators do not work. One was an open hole with no tape across ( on the first floor).

If you have an 4th floor room, be ready to climb stairs.

Nothing broken seems to get fixed e.g. the panini press in the merkado buffet.

Don't go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade and be sure the elevator near you works. Or do not go.
6  Thank Maryann483
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2015

Dear Maryann483,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great Staff at this Hotel but the Beach not the best. This location was recommended by a travel agent but we had wanted a better beach. The main beach area is not sheltered and the heavy wave action makes it unusable for adults and dangerous for kids to be near. The small lagoon beside it is ok but a small area.

The best thing about this Hotel we found was the Staff. Very friendly and helpful. The Chef staff were first class in providing Gluten-Free food options and are to be commended. Restaurant was excellent for food and service.

The worst thing about this Hotel was the extreme beach chair wars. We're used to it but the crazy guests here were brutal because there is not enough shade on the beach so chair upon chair is crammed side by side and some guests will tear your stuff off and throw it on the ground unless you were actually in the chair. The other bad thing the Hotel does on the beach is throw everyone off the beach for wedding's or wedding pictures.....given the competition for the chairs once you get up its gone. That alone is a reason not to come back. I would say this Hotel is better described as a Pool place with a view of the Ocean and leave it at that.

A concern with this hotel is they do play the upgrade pressure game. Book a base room pkg and it seems most shown the worst room at the back on a service walk way with an noisy fan running. Ugh....no good and you pay the extra $120 for an ocean view room.

So not the best resort for us given the negatives around spending a day "on" the beach. Main Hotel itself is fine, Pool good, Food Good... but don't expect to relax Oceanside comfortably.

PS.....Playa Del Carmen has sure developed since we were there last. Quaint touristy town no more.

Room Tip: If you book a base room pkg....plan to upgrade. What you will get otherwise is not likely appealing
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TM643
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I and three other family members recently returned from our second two-week stay at the Catalonia Yucatan Beach. The service and food were excellent, and the quality of the rooms was the same as the first time (one year ago): clean and comfortable. This year, however, Hoteles Catalonia (HC) has been implementing a new "PRIVILEGED" class of service, and this significantly detracts from the experience for me. One of the things that I most appreciated from the previous year was that there was never any sense of "class distinction" - all areas of the resort were open to all guests. But now there are "Privileged Exclusive Areas" that were previously open to all, but now guests must pay additional $$$ to use them.

I've got no problem with the resort having additional pay-as-you-go services, such as in-room courtesy bars, etc. But having "exclusive" areas on the beach and in the restaurants creates a visible form of elitism that detracts from the previously welcoming, casual atmosphere. The beach area isn't huge, and now it's segmented so that only "privileged" members have full access. The El Mercado buffet dining room is also segmented in this way - only "privileged" guests can be seated at a window. Non-"privileged" members must stay out of the "privileged" areas.

To add to this, there is a frequent presence of staff members hawking membership packages for the whole HC chain where they will offer inducements for guests to attend 90-minute presentations showing the advantages of their packages. (Sounds a bit like "timeshare" to me.) The last thing I need on a vacation is to have resort personnel trying to hustle me. We get enough of that in the street markets in Mexico; there's no need for it in the resort. As well, this year we noticed that staff was closely scrutinized by supervisors - it was very obvious and often made us feel uncomfortable for those under observation.

(One other relatively minor complaint is that the facility WiFi service is very unreliable, although from what I understand that problem is quite typical of the service in the area.)

After last year's stay, I was anxiously looking forward to another visit to the Catalonia Yucatan Beach. I regret to say that I will now be looking for alternatives.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank DenmanGuy
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Loved this hotel. Check in we received much needed welcome drinks. The staff were all so lovely and falling over themselves to help out. The day time pool activities were great fun. The buffet food was delicious with a wide range of food. By day 12 we were a bit fed up but isn't that the case with most all inclusive?! We received 4 al a carte meals per week but didn't use these all up as the buffets were really nice. Our favourite was the spanish tapas but as we weren't privileged we had to pay $15 each. Drinks were plenty and not watered down. Room was large and cleaned throughly daily. Never had a problem getting a sunbed though people do reserve them very early and not go on them till late afternoon, this is not the hotel's fault but it would be good if the hotel did remove these but like I said we didn't struggle for a sunbed anyway.
Lovely gated community felt very safe. Plenty of excursions- would recommend Xplor above all.
Will certainly return.

3  Thank Lenben123

Sincerely

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Loved this resort, small and friendly, Rafael at the PURE Lounge bar was great...The beach was nice, small but you definately need water shoes to go in, rocky... Water clear and you can snorkel. There is a lagoon within a 3 minute walk. The resort is well located, not too far from Playa Del Carmen (bargain your cab for $10 us dollars). Located on Puerto Aventuras location, you can go see the dolphins, lots of restaurants on site. We needed that because the food was terrible, no variety, never hot, always things missing (bacon, pancakes, fruits) for breakfast. Same meals everyday.. Tried à la carte restaurants, steakhouse was very good but Mexican, not that good. We went out most of the time to eat, what is the use of getting all-inclusive resort to eat elsewhere??? Third time in Mexico and I would recommend this resort if you are not too picky with food (I am not and found it terrible).

Room Tip: Privileged 3100, good view, good location, jacuzzi on the balcony
4  Thank angie888666
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!