WINNER WONDERLAND

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
moose4774
“Fantastic get away. Better then I expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

After reading a few bad reviews I was apprehensive upon arriving to the resort. It turns out my doubts were unfounded. I shall start out with the staff, everyone treated my girlfriend and I with respect and were friendly beyond belief, they were simply put amazing. The resorts grounds were very clean and it seemed they took pride in it as they were always out tending to it. For the food, the buffet, we found the food to be good. The breakfast omelette was very tastey. We did a few a la Cartes, and enjoyed them very much. The Japanese one the chef was very entertaining. I read a review previously that someone complained about leaving the room for another table to have desert. Well if they think about it they can only serve so many people per night, it's not a hardship. I loved how the resort is within a very short walk to a marina where they had dolphins and manatees where you could swim with. We swam with the manatees and that was unreal. I liked the security was good, it made you feel secure. I shall mention the room now, we did not do the upgrade but do regret that decision. The room was simple but clean. And to be honest were only there to sleep anyways. The bathroom was a good size and also very clean. The pools were nice and warm and very enjoyable. I have a sunburn beyond belief cause of my self inflicted fun lol. I only had minor things that bothered me but don't consider game changers, there wasn't bacon every day and you had to wait to be seated at the buffet. As I said these were not game changers. One last point, the cappachinos at breakfast was addicting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank moose4774
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Moosde 4774

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We took a package deal to this resort Mar.12-19/2014
The 72 km. trip from the airport to the hotel took 80 minutes with a stop at another hotel.
Check in was painfully slow with no welcome drink to soothe the pain.
When we got to our room we discovered there was no daily drinking water supplied (you can't drink the water from the faucet- if you want water after your 2 litres of alloted water run out, you must go to the Bar!) no refrigerator,coffee maker or iron which was a surprise because it is rated as a 4 star resort. The room safe costs $ 3.00/day but you can't pay in U.S. cash, just pesos, CDN.dollars or credit card.
This hotel works on an upgrade system, where they try to sell you upgrades before you can get your room key....very irritating
The room and beds were tired looking but clean. The pillows were skinny blobs of foam chips.
The bathroom was clean but again tired looking and we discovered later that the aged toilet didn't flush. It was rectified on the 2nd day after 3 trips by the maintenance staff.
After our toilet was fixed we resolved to try to enjoy ourselves and we did.
The Catalonia Yucatan resort is joined to the Catalonia Riviera Maya resort next door and the facilities are shared. The Yucatan seems to be the older of the two and consists of two 4 storey buildings where as the Riviera Maya has multiple smaller 3 storey buildings + a modern newer
exclusive section at extra cost.
We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the buffet restaraunts to be good and the a la carte
restaraunts to be sometimes excellent. The ony problem is that there is no booking system for the a la carte restaraunts, so you must show up and wait for a table.
It would make a lot of sense to put an online booking system in considering there is free Wi-Fi
(of varying stengths) available throughout the resort.
The nightly entertainment at the theatre was excellent compared to most all-inclusives and the
entertainment staff were friendly and very energetic.
There was also good live entertainment in the lounge outside the theatre before and after the
nightly show.
The beachfront was quite windy the week we were there were sea urchins in the water so water shoes are advised. There is a man made lagoon where I didn't see any sea urchins and has
a safe shallow beach of its own.
I tried snorkelling on one of the less windy days and explored the clumps of coral out front of the main beach, but the coral was mostly dead and there wasn't much fish life.
There were actually more fish in the lagoon and many more minnows.
the resort is within the Puerto Aventuras gated community, which has a Golf course,Marina and Dolphin attraction within 10 minutes walk of the hotel, there are also small shops a pharmacy and cafe's around the Marina.
We walked the entire perimiter of the community in aprox. 75 minutes.
There is a fitness centre at the resort which looked quite good plus a luxurious spa facility at extra cost.
The resort was very busy the week we were there, at times too busy.as we prefer quieter resorts.
We probably will not return as we prefer to be within walking distance of a town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank GWToronto
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I thought this resort was awesome. Very enjoyable stay. I upgraded to the suite, which included some benefits throughout the resort.

FOOD
Food at this resort was very good. I am a fish eating vegetarian and had no issues finding food to eat. There are a lot of options for places to eat at this resort. There are two buffets, four a la cartes, a tapas restaurant and La Creperie, which serves crepes and ice cream. I only went to La Brisa for the buffet, but I assume the food at both buffets were pretty similar. The food seemed to vary a bit from night to night. For dinner they had a grill station which would offer different meats and fish cooked on the spot, a pasta station and then a variety of other foods. I loved the cheese selection. I tried three of the four a la carte restaurants:
Mikado, the Japanese one. This one was my favourite for the meal. It was a fun time watching them cook the food, and it is a good size meal that tasted really good. The dessert was average.
Bellavista, the Italian one. I enjoyed this place a lot. I had the gnocchi, it was delicious. And the dessert was amazing!
Alebrijes, the Mexican one. I tried the shrimp tacos. Normally I love shrimp tacos but they were stewed shrimp and it tasted kind of odd. My boyfriend had the fajitas and loved them. Again, dessert was amazing. I had the chocolate leaf thing, recommend that if you go here.
We also tried the tapas bar and creperie. The tapas bar has the most adventurous menu, with some items that I normally wouldn't eat. But it was really good. I only tried a banana split at la creperie, but it was very good. My boyfriend had a crepe and loved it. Both of these places didn't open until the evening according to the schedule, but the creperie was open at random times some days. I think they should both be open at lunch as the tapas bar has an amazing view of the ocean but when you are there at night you can't see anything, and the creperie does ice cream, and I wanted ice cream in the middle of the day when it was hot.
There was also a pool side snack bar. I loved this place. It doesn't have much variety, but it has plenty of chips and guacamole, which were delicious.

BEACH
The beach here is awesome. The sand is nice, the sun is hot. If you like to go in the ocean bring water shoes as it is very rocky. Its even hard to go out with water shoes with all the rocks there. There is a diving group on the beach too which do complimentary pool introductions to diving and offer trips you need to pay for. You also can rent snorkels and kayaks for an hour for free from here, and sign up for a free catamaran ride. The catamaran will book up if the resort is busy, so book your time early.
Also, if you feel like waking up early, go down to the beach to watch the sunset once. It's beautiful.
If you upgrade you get to sit in a special section of the beach. The beach chairs are much more comfortable, bean bag chairs, and there is a bar that's only for upgraded people's use. It was awesome.

POOL
There are many pools at the resort. My favourite pool was the one with Margaritas bar in it. Margaritas bar is its name, it serves other drinks than just margaritas. Friendly staff and delicious drinks. There was lots of entertainment. They had a aqua fit class, dancing, and water polo everyday, and then one day during the week there was karaoke. I found it very hard to get good chairs near the pool due to limited seating, but i wanted to sit in the pool anyways so it wasn't a big deal. There is also a ping pong table near both pools.

ROOM
We upgraded to the suite, which was awesome. There was a hot tub on the balcony, but we only ended up using it two or three times as we were out of the room so much. The balcony also had a nice sitting area. Having a suit you also get a mini bar which is stocked daily with beer, pop and water, and get a safe included with the room. I also think the room service was included because we were in a suite. The room service was good and quick. Not a huge menu but it tasted good and was nice when we stayed up late. It was mostly food like burgers, sandwiches and other simple things like that.
The maid service did a good job. The room was nice and clean and we had a nice towel decoration made everyday. My only issue was we left our beach towels to be exchanged one day but they were not exchanged. I am pretty sure we could have just taken them down to the towel hut and changed them though.

ENTERTAINMENT
Every night there was a show put on in the theatre, which is easy to find as there are signs everywhere. It was fun, usually some sort of dance show, one night was karaoke, which turned out to be pretty funny.
One of the nights they had Mexican night where they had games set up where you could win fake money and bid at an auction at the end. There was also a mariachi band. It was fun.
The disco at night was a lot of fun. It didn't have a lot of people there whenever I was there though. But still fun to go dancing and not have to leave the resort. The disco doesn't open until 11, but you can go to the sports bar until then, which is conveniently located right beside it. The sports bar isn't particularly exciting, there's pool tables and giant checkers, so it's good to kill some time before the disco. There was also a golf simulator, but it never looked open.
Vendors set up some nights at the resort. Usually the same people selling blankets, jewelry, carved figures, plates, bowls.... They tell you they're only there one night a week but they were there three or four nights the week I was there. It's nice to go and look at the stuff and if you aren't planning on going into Playa del Carmen you can pick up some souvenirs.
There is also a Marina down the road, like a 10 minute walk from the resort. It's all in a gated community so it is fine to go to. There's a few shops, dolphins and manatees you can pay to swim with, restaurants. All there for tourists. Its a nice little walk around.

There was a wedding at the resort that week too. Looked very beautiful. They seemed to provide music and snacks on the beach for it. Lots of people watch from a distance (including myself).
The resort is nice and quiet. It doesn't feel packed and you see the same people around a lot as it is a very small resort.
Most of the staff were very friendly and never really seemed to expect a tip.
You can easily catch a cab at the front lobby to Playa del Carmen, it was $22 one way. The lobby staff will call a cab for you. The cab gets there very quickly.

Overall we had a great week. We only left the resort for one day, so we spent most our time hanging out around the resort. I recommend it. The suite upgrade was really nice, but we only got it because it was half price. If you're paying full price I am not sure it would be worth it. You can find coupons on the resort's facebook page for room discounts on room upgrades, the spa and wine.

Room Tip: The Tequilla Bar seems to be loud at night, and there are lots of rooms located near it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CubaJen
Dear CubaJen

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited this resort for a week at the end of February. In shore, the staff was amazing, the food was great, the rooms were clean and modern and the grounds were spotless.
We booked through Noli Tours and had a Noli Plus Priviledged room. We enjoyed the priviledges such as the private beach area and Chill Out Bar. We were also given a pass to the Tapas restaurant. Our room was room 456 in Building B. It was quiet and had two double beds. We didnt need the two beds but used the space to keep us organized!! We had an in room safe and our fridge was restocked with beverages everyday. We were also given preferred seating in the restaurants. The beds were very comfortable and we had a pillow menu.
The staff always had a smile on their faces and greeted us when we passed on the pathways. We felt very safe on and off the resort in Puerto Aventures.
The food was great. We always found amazing food. I gained 5 pounds so something must be good!! Our favourites were the steak house and japanese grill. Just as the reviews say, there are no reservations but we didn't wait for longer than half an hour for a table at any of the restaurants. For the most part, we were seated right away!
The direct entry into the ocean is rocky but we spent most of our time at the lagoon where it is sandy and you can swim into the open ocean from there. I enjoyed the snorkling in the lagoon and ocean right in frount of the resort!
There are activities which you may want to join but we easily relaxed by the pools and beach with no noise.
The hotel is located inside Puerto Aventures which is a gated community. We walked to the marina and stores a couple times. We watched the dolphins and manatees from the walk ways. It is a very safe area.
We booked a snorkling tour to Akamel & Garden of Eden cenote through the dive shop in the hotel and a private tour to Coba & Tulum through Canadian Tours. Both tours took very good care of us and made sure we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves.
We were so tired at the end of the day so we did not see the entertainment.
There are several bars in the resort including two swim up bars.
We will definately be going back.
I would recommend reading the posts about what to expect when you land in Cancun. It helped us tremendously and ensured we were not pulled into time share presentations, etc.
If you have any specific questions, please message me and I will try my best to answer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chatham Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I cant say enough good about this resort, the staff, location, snorkelling, food all where excellent I was never once approach once to buy in but I did see the white shirted guys floating around talking to other people
You do need water shoes for the ocean
Noli tours where excellent we had a bottle of tequila waiting in our room from them as a gift
the food was plentiful tasty with tons of options

Room Tip: up grade when you get there it is worth the extra bring water shoes as the shore is very rocky bri...
Dear Mr Belguimcdn

ontario canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just got back from a week at this Resort. We went there to celebrate our daughters 30th Birthday. The weather was very hot 28-30 C on all the days. There were 3 pools. We usually swam in the first pool from the lobby. The Ocean was refreshing and it is advised that you do bring water shoes as the shore here is rocky. I tried snorkeling, I really wasn't that good at it, however I did see some colourful fish. The specialty restaurants were great. They don't take reservations, we always were able to get in with a minimum wait. If you go try the crepe bar, amazing crepes. Everly was our waitress and she is so sweet, always smiling. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant the best. We took a ride into Playa de Carmen. Got a free ride, stopped at the Jewelry factory where you could get some great deals if you were looking for them. Playa de Carmen is a real touristry area. I did not buy anything. All around good trip had by all.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, choose a room on the higher floor- 2nd to 4th. Better view. of the ocean. W...
1 Thank rosemary51
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

We vacationed at this resort mid March and will not return. We liked the size, the pool and dining room staff were all excellent, very accomodating, the rooms clean but the positive ends here. They are more interested in hooking new clients then upgrading them to priviledge, the front desk staff bordered on rude and there was very little variety in the food, pork being the main staple, no miini fridge. We were 3 travelling together and we were given 2 bottles of water, 1 small gingerale and a bottle of tequila..We asked for another bottle of water (imagine only a bottle of water for each) and were told only 2 bottles were allowed per room!! Housekeeping was hit and miss, day 2 at 4pm I asked front desk why my room was not done and the response was they work from 9 - 6, did I request earlier??? Day 5 room was not done by 6pm despite a request for earlier, no towels or toilet paper, front desk said reason was we had do not disturb sign on our door, first we didn't have a do not disturb sign and second it was on the room next door!! There was no shuttle to 5th Ave for the poor people.. Thus no return...

Room Tip: Upgrade to privilidge if you hope for service, rooms on opposite side of tequila bar are quieter.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#91 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,352 reviews
Barcelo Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Barcelo Occidental at Xcaret De...
#69 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,896 reviews

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!