“Very Good Value :)” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Burlington, Canada
“Very Good Value :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just got back from Catalonia Yucatan on saturday and had a great time with my boyfriend, I will itemize my review by category:

Staff: Amazing! Especially Pablo in the steakhouse and Jose in the sportbar! They really go above and beyond with service and are so genuinely happy to help. I was also very impressed by how EVERYone working at the resort (waiters, cleaning staff, groundskeepers etc.) says ola!

Gardenview Rooms: For the first 4 days that we were there we were in a basic room and honestly, it was dreadful. The hairdryer, wi-fi, remote controller, and shower head didn't work. There were tiny little bugs all over the place and the bed was literally sitting on a massive piece of ply-wood. Also our "gardenview" room was overlooking this big ramp leading up to the lobby bar and theatre. It was so noisy that on 2 of the nights we ended up just going and sitting up there because attempting sleep was useless. The other thing I didn't like about this whole room situation was that the staff wouldn't help at all. We complained about our amenities not working THREE seperate times and in the end we just upgraded simply to get a decent nights sleep! Not really good enough :(

Upgraded Room: For $20 US per night we upgraded to a priveleged room and it was the best $60 we could have spent! The bed was the most cozy, squidgy MASSIVE thing ever and the pillows were brilliant. The bathroom was entirely marble and beautiful and so CLEAN. the view was much better and no bugs at all! Also we got a mini bar that was restocked every day free of charge (mainly sodas but a couple of beers as well, and bottled water!! This is a big deal because in the regular rooms you get ONE bottle and then have to BUY more! rip off especially as they specifically tell you NOT to drink the tap water)

Room Upgrades: My advice for the upgrade though is check the price each day, the first 3 days we checked they were offering an upgrade rate of 20% off (so $32 per night) but then one day it was randomly 50% (so $20 a night!) so we snapped it up (it depends entirely on the manager on duty at the time). They also have an upgrade to a honeymoon suite for $5 more and you get champagne, chocolates and a massage!

Food: For an all inclusive it was great! I've been to all-inclusive resorts in Cuba and Dominican and gotten ill both times (and i'm pretty smart with my choices I don't eat 'weird' foods if that makes any sense) but here neither me or my boyfriend got ill at all, the buffets had good selection and the staff were very friendly and attentive! The a la cartes were terrific too! I'd specifically recommend the japanese (dinner and a show!), the steakhouse (incredible choice and the best chicken wings i've ever tasted) and the tapas (so romantic overlooking the ocean and incredible service!)

Drinks: Incredible, Knowledgable and amusing bartenders who will make you literally ANYthing that they have the ingredients for, and constantly offering you new shots and cocktails to try out. Brilliant.

Pool: Very clean and spacious, lots of room to just chill and not be bothered by other people, and there was only really one 'activity' pool so if you didn't want to get involved the reps would leave you alone to relax.

Beach: Great for snorkelling and calm enough to just float about and swim but EXTREMELY rocky, I wore water shoes and still managed to slip and cut my leg :( Just be careful and make sure you take at least flip flops to wear in. There are plenty of little fish and wildlife to see though which is really nice :)

I hope this review is helpful! Sorry it's a bit long just wanted to share as much as I could :) Any questions feel free to ask!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade! Totally worth the money to make it an imaculate trip!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank victoria f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had posted this review a month ago and realized i forgot to add it to Catalonia Yucatan as it is connected to Catalonia Riviera Maya. My boyfriend and I stayed at Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort and Spa last month and we're still talking about it!

First, I want to say how beautiful this resort is, its breathtaking. The hotel is located in Puerto Aventuras which is a private area with high security- very safe! When we arrived to Catalonia Yucatan we upgraded our room from standard to privileged (not suite) and we we're glad we did. We got a nicer bathroom and a bigger room with a flat screen tv. They also provided a complimentary tequila bottle. We got to peek at the standard rooms, they are okay but if you want a more comfortable stay you won't regret upgrading. The only difference between the privileged rooms and the suites is that the suites are located in a more "private" area to the far side of Catalonia Riviera Maya. They come with a "jacuzzi" on the patio/balcony area, but its more like a tub and it is not private.

The pools are great, there are 2 on the Catalonia Yucatan side and 2 on the Catalonia Riviera Maya side. There are 2 swim up bars, the Margaritas bar and the Tequila bar. The Margaritas bar was always fun and we met lots of people there during our stay from many places. The staff is nice and they attend you fairly quickly. The pools are also kid-friendly with shallow ends for the kids and barriers for smaller children who cannot swim.

The restaurants at the hotel were great, with some exceptions. We got 4 vouchers plus a voucher to the Terrace restaurant which came with our room upgrade. We went to the Mexican restaurant- Los Alebrijes and it was just okay, nothing special. The portions were small and some of the food we ordered were flavour-less. The Italian restaurant- Bellavista was the worst one we went to. They gave us bruschetta to start which was pretty good but the rest of our meal was horrible. We were talking to other people staying at the resort and they felt the same way. My boyfriend had the lasagna and it was cold. I ordered the risotto and it was a mush of rice and cheese, not appetizing at all! We ordered tiramisu for dessert and it was amazing, that was the only good part of the meal. We went to the Bomboleo Steakhouse and it was very very good! the New York steak was good and so was the fish. The Japanese restaurant was our favourite!! It was fun and delicious. We liked it so much we went twice. Our chef was Guillermo and he was hilarious, we recommend asking for him when you go. The food was very tasty! The Terrace Tapas Lounge & Bar was also very good if you've tried tapas before (Spanish appetizers). We ordered lots of them and liked most of them. This restaurant is located on the roof-top with an ocean view. Finally, The Creperie was deeeelicious! We went there almost every night and the service was awesome. The buffet was really good too switching up lots of items each day.

The beach is beautiful, don't miss out on the lagoon. There are plenty of fish there and its not rocky at all!

The entertainment staff is fun and the shows are enjoyable.
If you are looking to party we suggest going to Coco Bongo although we decided not to go many people that were staying there at the time said it was very worth it.

The staff is very friendly, don't forget to tip. They are dedicated to their job and they deserve it.

ps: there are many reviews about the beach being rocky and to be honest it is. If you think you won't be able to handle it I would suggest bringing water shoes just in case.

If you are deciding on whether you should visit Catalonia Yucatan/ Riviera Maya I would say you won't be disappointed. It is a vacation you will remember forever! I would definitely go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: upgrade if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea P
lisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband, son and I just returned from a 7 day trip at this hotel. I am still dreaming of our vacation. It was wonderful from the moment we arrived to when we left. The front desk staff were very accomodating and helped us to change our room overlooking the Tequila Bar, which tended to be a bit noisy. The first thing we noticed was how clean the resort was kept. The entire staff were very hard working and always greeted you with a smile and an "ola". Our son is 15 and we thought he might be bored but there was lots for him to do. He especially enjoyed the free catamaran, snorkelling and kayaking. One day we signed out the free bikes and rode to the nearby marina to do some shopping and to watch the dolphins swim. This is all within the resort and so it's very safe. My husband was pleasantly surprised at how fast, efficient and friendly the bar service was. He wasn't keen however on the process for washing the plastic drink cups, there seemed to be too much soap, even when rinsed thoroughly. The only other thing that was a negative was the type of music that was played at the Tequila Bar. It was very irritating, hard rock which wasn't very relaxing. We would have loved to hear some mexican music, traditional or current. There are 2 buffet restaurants which we enjoyed. The outside one was more casual while the Mercado was a bit more formal. The food was amazing and there was a good variety of dishes. We really enjoyed going to the show each night and felt the entertainment was of a high quality. We would return in a heartbeat. Love you Mexico and your people!

Room Tip: Just beware of the rooms overlooking the Tequila Bar, north side. The resort kitchen is behind those...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank jshodgson
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Let me tell you this hotel is fabulous and the staff are very friendly. I have been to the Catalonia almost 2 years ago on Sept 17th 2011 for a week. I have met my girlfriend there and we have booked once more and we will be celebrating our second year anniverssary at the Catalonia in the week of September 14th to 21st.

We have both travelled quite a lot and we agree that this is the most pleasant site to spend a vacation. As I said before staff is very friendly and you really don't feel it's an effort for them to say Hi or to hepl you with anything. The food is great with a lot of variety and you can find something for you at any time of day or evenning. I personally really enjoy the snack bar by the pool. The entertainment team is very present but very respectfull of the people not as envolved in the activities so it's really just a show to enjoy for all.

We can't wait to get there and enjoy life.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but the privileged ones are worthed just for the bathroom and special showers.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Nicolas T
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Sincerely
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We were very apprehensive in going after reading some not so nice reviews.
Upon arrival, we were given welcoming drinks. We decided to do the previledged room, which we are very happy about. Because we did not checked in by the Mayan side we were not given the package and keys from the Mayan side because they had already had our envelopes at the catalonia ' s lobby. Its was abit confusing as we were not given the coupon for the Spanish restaurant and the cards for our towels. After we went to see the previledged room, we liked it and decided to take it but I feel we should have taken to the mayan lobby side to do the check in because like I said the envelope given to us was for the standard room without the Tapas coupon because when we went to the Tapas , we were told that we needed the coupon. Having two kids and being told we needed this coupon to get in. Anyways my husband ended up going to the Mayan checkin and got it. We were under the impression that once we get to the Tapas they would indentified our hand bands. We had sweet Luis that took us to our room with our suitcases. He ended up getting our key cards at the Mayan side for us because the keys were not given to us from the Catalonia side. We waited few minutes on our way for him to get it for us. Its not negative but I thought I let you know these little details.
Overall, we had a great time. The kids enjoyed the mini club. Those two ladies are the best, full of energy and great joy and laughters. My twins had a blast.
The lagoon was great. Please walk with beach shoes. Its such natural coral reef. We made the best of this trip. People are so negative . I love the nature of the sea life just at the beach. If you are looking for sandy beach then go to Tulum. The staff are the greatest. They loved my kids so much and they made sure my kids got their warm milk in the night. All the restaurants were superb. The greatest experience ever. I have done Cuba, Dominican, Panama but this resort is the best.
Carlos, Evely, Ester, Angelina and list goes on. They were all so eager to help us. I would definitely come back. We did Ek Balam on our own. Got a great taxi for $180 us for return trip. My kids kissed the dolphins, 15 minutes walk to the marina. We made arrangement with Heather to the Matis jewellery factory. I made some great purchases there. Went to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen to do some shopping. If you are a baker, the vanilla is really cheap there along with chile chocolate.
Many thanks to all the staff. Very friendly.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank bissod
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We had standard room and decided not to upgrade which I would say was a lot better than JUST standard. There was a good variety of cuisine on offer of which we tried all the restaurants and the only one that let the whole place down was the Italian. With regards to drinks vast number of bars available all serving spirits, beers and cocktails which we all agreed that the Riviera Maya was our favourite.
All 5 pools clean and nice touch with the swim up bars.
2 beach bays good for children but main beach rough under foot when going in due to the coral.
Mark out of ten is a nine high.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Michelle B
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Michelle B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us.

Hotel manager
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Wow! We have been home a week now and really miss our days at the Catalonia. We stayed at the quieter side, over behind the chillout bar (fab place for evening drinks!). Rooms 3118 and 3119, no evening noise and during the day the pool was just fab - all the action is on other side of hotel during day in the pools, leaving those who want peace to just lounge in sun! Pools are spotless - they're cleaning them at 5.30am every day and test the water again during the day. The staff are fantastic, so SMILEY :). Very helpful and so hardworking.
Food was great, we are a family of 5 with 3 teens, two of whom are fussy vegetarians, thankfully they do eat fish. So much choice! Two large buffet restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a snack bar that's open when the buffet's shut for a short period between breakfast and lunch. 4 a la carte restaurants, we only tried 3 - our favorites were the Steak Grill and the Japanese! Italian was good too but the other two outclass them! We went with Thomas Cook - Alfie was our rep - really informative. We managed to get the kids to Coco Bongo's nightclub in Cancun - what a night! They have special Under 18's nights - ask the reps and they will find out for you. We also swam with turtles at Akumal Beach - amazing experience and a Turtle Watching night where we were lucky enough to watch baby turtles hatch, we helped them on their journey to the sea, we watched a mother make her nest, lay her eggs and watched another on her journey back into the sea after laying her eggs - you've got to see it to believe it!
Back to the Catalonia - weather was awesome, resort is fab. Grab a bike and pedal down to the marina, watch the dolphins, sealions and manatees! Get Alejandro to take you on his bike tour - he's a character! Volleyball happens all day every day - we had some great pool volleyball games with american families and our new english friends!
Felt very safe - i was quite happy for my kids to wander around at night by themselves!

It seems that the locals can get a weekend day pass, so the pool gets very busy on a Friday and Saturday afternoon - this was ok as they seem to like to be in the pool around 5pm onwards - we had normally had enough by then!

The sea entrance is rocky - don't bother buying sea shoes though, just walk along towards to the lagoon and you will see a perfectly lovely entrance to the sea there, no shoes needed! Great snorkelling, particularly along the side of the stone steps, the fish swim into the pipes there.

The catamaran rides can be booked from 8.30 every morning. Get there at 8.15 or you wont get one! 2 people at a time, great fun!

The shops in the resort are expensive. Don't wait to buy your sun tan lotions over there - it's way more expensive. We went into nearest town - Playa del Carmen and to be honest we thought it was also expensive!

The hotel has a little market every other night which is really pretty and don't miss Mexican night on a Wednesday evening!

The cocktails are addictive - Sombrero and Mojito's aplenty!

Thank you to all the staff at the Catalonia - you are all doing a fab job!

Incidentally - we didn't upgrade our rooms - they were fine! Beds were comfy, pillows were fine - extra ones in the wardrobe if two weren't enough.

Iguanas are all over the place, also little pig type animals, spider monkeys, really loud birds that wake you around 6am and MASSIVE grasshoppers!

People do get up early and reserve the sun beds around the pool - so grab one early or go without! There is a "book stop" by the pool where you can leave your own books you have read and pick up another! Most languages catered for.

We will most definitely be back, just need to start saving

Room Tip: We were in rooms 3118 and 3119 - they were perfectly placed, on the quiet side of the resort, great...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Wendy P
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Wendy P,
Thank youso much for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
Sincerely
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,602 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,403 reviews
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#93 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,900 reviews

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!