2,246 results
All reviewsgated communitya la cartesplaya del carmensnack bartapaswater shoesfishcrepesstandard roomriviera sidejapanese restaurantair transatpure chill out barsteakthomas cookprivileged sectionsea lions
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and myself have just returned from this beautiful resort. Spotlessly clean, fresh towel figures every day. Very friendly staff everyone had an 'Ola' when passing and always willing to help. Lovely pools and good food, always plenty of choice although the breakfast queues were a bit too long some mornings as you were always escorted to your table. The Japanese restaurant was my favourite, then the Steak restaurant. We were celebrating our anniversary and were greeted with a bottle of wine and chocolate cake, together with a large banner on our room door which we really did not expect. It was nice to sit outside in the evenings but last drinks were always in the Sports Bar with great air conditioning and Juan the barman was a joy. He worked so fast and efficient even with a full bar, smiled all the time and the G & T's just the right mix. 10 minutes walk to the Marina and you could watch the dolphins being trained. A very large turtle was spotted on the beach but unfortunately we never got to see it but the sea had great snorkelling opportunites to see lots of fish and there were lots swimming near the beach if like me you don't snorkel. All in all a really good holiday but the temperatures were a little high for my husband. My only gripe would be that the rooms need decorating but that seemed to be work in progress in other parts of the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 4139 beautiful view over the sea from 4th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Forresty
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife and I have been to the Catalonia Yucatan twice. Both trips were great!

We were very lucky in both of our trips, we had requested to be in a more quite part of the resort. So on both of our trips we were put on the Riviera Maya side. I think getting these rooms were just a bit of luck. You can request the Riviera Maya side but they might upcharge you for the room. Having seen rooms on both sides the Riviera Maya side is nicer for the fact that the rooms are more villa style compaired to the apartment style on the Yucatan side. With that aside, the resort is beautiful. Having two resorts in one complex it is great to have options for what you'd like. The Yucatan's pool is were the music is blaring all day and alot of the pool games take place. The Riviera Maya side does have music playing but it's not as loud.

One of the great features of the resort is the crepe bar that opens at night. It is great to sit, relax and enjoy an amazing crepe while listen to the ocean.
All of the restaurants were great, I really enjoyed the food at the tapankyi bar. They were great to accomodate my wife when she asked for no egg in her food, they bent over backwards ensuring that she was taken care of. Unless you've got a large group for the tapankyi bar you will be put with a group of random people, not always a bad thing unless you get stuck with some annoying guests.
The entertainment staff during the day are amazing, they try to get you envovled in all the activities, and once you say no thank you they move right along.

One free little trip that is fun to take with the entertainment staff is the bike tour of peutro advanturas. They take to you a "secret" beautiful beach where you can swim quickly, take pics etc. As well you get to tour one of the dolphin advetures that you might see advertised. Pretty amazing to see the sea life so close up.
For the adults, the swim up bar is great! Nothing like enjoying a drink while floating around!

Room Tip: Try and request the Riviera Maya side if possible
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Sean V
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Reviewed August 30, 2012

nice place for snorkeling , ok food,buffet,ala carte, awesome crepes.
cabs cost to much.
neat little gated community. cool marine shows for free in center of town.
bicycling,walking. beach is ok awesome coral and fish and squids etc.

Room Tip: all are ok nothing outstanding
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Brian K

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Hi

We did discovered the Catalonia Yucatan in 2010.

We spend one week over there in a Privileged room and our first experience was quite good.

I have to say that I was in several resorts before, either in Mexico, Dominicam Republic, Brasil etc so I have a pretty good comparison scale.

That’s why we did return to the same hotel in 2011, and will go again next Saturday.

To be honest, I believe each case is an individual case, and opinions are what they are, mainly very subjective, and some items that a guest could evaluate as MOST importance for other’s are not so important, and also most of the people write their reviews regarding their experience but of course based on the expectations that each and every one make, before travelling, either supported by a trip adviser review, or the information given by the travel agency.

So I will try to be as factual and objective as possible, because my idea about sending this review, is to write stuff that I would like to read and gives you support to the fact of choosing this hotel or not.

I’ll start to say, that I ‘am Portuguese.

What a like most in this hotel it’s the dimension of it. Not a big super mega resort, like Bahia Principe. Everything is near and in a affordable walking distance. The Entertainment time does their job without pressing you to do anything. You join them if you want, if not, they don’t insist. The staff is good, educated and if you speak a little bit of Spanish (remember their language is Spanish, not English or Russian) you are in heaven !!!

In my first visit, we were placed in a 3rd floor of a privileged room, (brown bracelet). The room was above standard, and the cleaning, was outstanding. I read some reviews of people saying that no fridge, no Water bottles, no safe lock on rooms and I know they are speaking right – if you are on a STANDARD ROOM – You may discuss what is included in some other resorts, but this is what it is. STANDARD ROOM, doesn’t include the above items.

In other rooms yes, you have it all, also a very nice TV. Also on those rooms you are entitled to have more dinners into the a la carte hotels, also internet free access. That’s why I prefer to pay a little bit more.

Second year we repeated the same room, but at the reception and being our second time, they upgraded us to a suite, paying 20 USD/Day. I don’t have words to say how good the room was, including the private Jacuzzi in the garden.

When I see reviews saying that the employees are rude, or not so kind, I found myself wondering why in 3 stays never experienced such situation. But again those are the subjective opinions, but I believe that we also have to show to them the some respect and kind that we would like to receive from them, and I don’t imagine, any employees not giving you a salute if you simple say OLA to him/her.

Some more facts:
Yes the beach is a little bit rocky but you have to know that most of the Riviera Maya coast line is like that. But to be honest, at the beginning I was using some rubber shoes, and afterwards I found an entrance on the left side of the beach where you don’t need anything else, because it’s only sand !!!!

Yes the food could be better. I remember mainly the fruit, was very limited and to have a banana for example you have to fight a lot. Being in Mexico it’s a little bit strange not having more tropical fruits. But above all, when going to Mexico, you cannot expect to have your usual food. After that is a question of your own taste, but don’t forget, it’s a different country.

Yes, in some bars, alcohol beverages have to much ice. But if you ask your beverage in a different way, you will get it for sure.

Basically for my expectations this hotel is above standard, and that’s why I will repeat it again, (arriving next Saturday).

Joao Mario

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank J_Mari0
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Now I am not a huge fan of Mexico because I can't speak spanish and spanish is what they speak so I feel like I am going to die in a street fight because I can't tell the cops I am just some tourist that is buying a blanket....

but the resort is dam nice!

It is small compared to some of the resorts in the area but I like that you can walk to the beach and not have to get a ride..

the beach is nice but has alot of reef so be carefull!!

the staff are good but one guy was a jerk when I was making a hotdog at the time they were going from lunch to supper but whatever.

the rooms are what you would expect in Mexico and the beds are a bit hard but call up the desk and ge a pad .

The food was good some days and not all that good some other days and it was not always like this but it seems they kinda just have the same stuff at all the places to eat ..

the places you had to reserve were stupid good!!!! I had a desert that was just insane good!!! you have to dress up a bit but it was soooooo worth it!

steady flow of beer and they have a nightclub that lays down some dane music at night so you can have a good time there.

the pools are nice but I am not sure they are for you if you are scared of pee,, swim up bar and beer just spells pee in the pool.

My only complaint is the massage places on the beach are about $80 us and you would think that it would be less.

take an oven mitt to catch a lizzard!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ShayneY_12
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012