“This was my first trip to Mexico” 3 of 5 bubbles

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
“This was my first trip to Mexico”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I'm writing this review now after having been to 3 other resorts. The Catalonia Yucatan was a fun resort. I love the feeling of the smaller resorts. The staff was incredible, and the service was fantastic. The entertainment staff was the best. They were all so personable and made us feel very welcome. The beach however is not great. I cut my foot on the rocks the first day I went swimming. This is a VERY VERY rocky beach. It's difficult to find an area without rocks. The waves can become quite rough and then it's impossible to see the rocks underneath you. I've also stayed at Dreams which is right across from this resort and there, they've cleared a large swimming area. The Riviera side of the hotel is much nicer. It was quite funny to have to keep draining the portable air conditioner in our room. I'd have to lug it over to the bathtub to empty it. I did love the view from our balcony. I'm surprised by how much the price has gone up for this resort. It really doesn't compare with the other four stars, this resort is more of a 3 star for sure! Our room had no fridge and we had to keep refilling the water bottle they gave us. I really didn't mind, I was just happy to be in Mexico. But now, after having been to other 4 star resorts, I've been spoiled, I won't be back to this particular resort.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic week at the CAT. 5 of us travelled having 2 rooms in the Privileged Section (Absolutely worth every penny). This is a small resort with the heart and hospitality of a 5* property. Food was very good, especially with 2 small children, and the a la carte's were very nice. Two distinct sections with a quiet area and an area that is much busier with the animation crew in full force. The staff here proudly wear their pins stating that this is one of the best places to work, and it shows, the pride is in everything they do. If you love a good spa experience be sure NOT to miss out on the Allegro Spa here as it is wonderful. To the management and staff, keep being who you are and you will be sure to keep pleasing travellers from near and far!

P.S., a special thank you to Suemy and Tania in the kids club, you made our kids vacation a time they will not soon forget!

Room Tip: If you can swing the extra few dollars into your budget, upgrade to the Privileged Section as it is...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Had a great family trip here! Feb 22 - 29 with my 12 yr old daughter and my boyfriend.

Rooms: We upgraded to the privileged rooms. They originally put us in a room with a king which wouldn't work so they had to adjust our reservations. We ended up in the Riviera side which wasn't a big deal. You can get anywhere on the resort (yucatan and riviera) in 10 minutes. The beds were pretty much together like one giant bed which wasn't a problem for us either. Very comfortable. Very clean. The rain shower was fantastic. Always hot water. Always cleaned. With turn down service. Air conditioning worked. Always had stocked pop and water! The view was terrible. It was of a wall overlooking the spa and entrance to Mikado. We usually left for dinner but there was always the noise of people waiting in line for the restaurant starting at 5 30 every night until at least 8 30.

Food: Buffets - Much better than I expected! The fruit and veggies were always fresh. The lines to get in (especially at breakfast) were a little annoying. The fresh fish at lunch and dinner are great! My fave part! We only found the second buffet on the last day (indoor with air conditioning) was a bit different. They had ice cream! yum. So try both!
Mikado - Fantastic! But get in line at 5 30 5 45 to get in before 8 30. The line ups are ridiculous! No reservations this one. The food and the entertainment are great!
Bambelo - Steak and Grill . . . luckily took a reservation for the evening. Food was a fail though. They ran out of steak and had only hamburgers and chicken left. The chicken wasn't breast as I expected and I didn't care for it. The burgers were big but I didn't care for them either. BUT great for lunch buffet! Wings, nachos, fries!
Italian - Very good. Didn't seem to be a line up for that one. Would have gone back.
Mexican - Ok. Service was great!
Creperie - Milkshakes were amazing! The layered lattes are great too!

Chairs: They need MORE! People at this resort are ridiculous!! Putting down towels on chairs early (lucky to find more than 2 together at 7 45) and then never coming back!! Maybe this could be resolved with more chairs around the pools?? There were always chairs vacant by the pure chill out bar part of the beach but my daughter swims from the moment we get up to the moment the pools close and we need at least one chair to put our stuff on. If there were more maybe idiots wouldn't feel the need to reserve all day every day if they aren't using it.

Beach and Lagoon: LOVE! So pretty. There seemed to be a lot of seaweed along the beach all the time (and in the water). Didn't really bother me. The beach is fairly small . . . no walking for days. But to sit and drink on the lounger and look at the view was beautiful. I went snorkelling very briefly in the lagoon but my daughter saw a jellyfish in the first 4 minutes and high tailed it out of there and never went back in :) But the water was calm and you can actually see some sea life just walking in up to your ankles if you look for it. Snorkelling in the ocean was also so great. I had never been before and would have stayed in for hours! The lifeguard said there was a shark spotted the previous day and that we shouldn't go in past the rope so we didn't. Such a beautiful view though! LOVE it.

Pools: The only way this could be better is for there to be a designated adult pool (party or quiet). The activity pool with the swim up bar seemed to be the loudest and we stayed near the other swim up bar. The tequila bar and pool was great! Although they don't smile a whole lot over there . . . the service is quick and with some tips they will serve you at your chairs if you sit close enough to the bar! Those guys served my thirsty 12 year old MANY virgin daquiries and pina coladas!

Nolitours: Memo was always smiling and friendly even when sick. You DO NOT have to go to the class in the morning just to get home. Just go to the desk the day before you leave to check your time to go home. I went and it was ok because I wanted to book tours. Unfortunately, there is ALWAYS a line up to book with these guys. There seems to be a line up to do everything at this resort. We booked a swim with the dolphins with Nolitiours so we didn't swim with the ones down at the marina. They say it's sad and sick for the dolphins who live there because of the gases from the boats. The other place "Delphinious" is beautiful! We had an amazing time! BUT we didn't get the pictures because it was $30 for a picture, $150 for all of the ones with one of us, or $250 for all of the pics with all of us. Couldn't justify it. Sounds like you can bring someone who doesn't want to swim and take pictures of you but good luck getting a decent shot. Still Amazing though.
We also did the Maya Coba adventure . . . so fantastic. we bought the pictures of those for $50. We climbed Coba, swam in a cenote, rapelled down the jungle wall, ziplined, and kayaked. it was great! I totally recommend it. My daughter did all of the activities!

We didn't use the kids club because it seems aimed at smaller guys. My daughter would have hated if i left her there at all. They attempt to be green as much as possible which I like. An hour or more from the airport, be prepared.

Complaints: Need more chairs. Need less lineups for nolitours and eating (faster/better service, don't over book, or add more locations). Needed a better drink menu or selection as it took me 3 days to find something I actually wanted.

Love: Free snorkelling, good food (I'm VERY picky), comfy beds, clean, beautiful beach!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the privilege room for the fridge, water, pop, and safe!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, March 5, 2012

Olds, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

Our trip to the Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort was Feb. 14-21 of 2012. We flew out of Calgary with Air Transat and booked with Nolitours (cameoleon gold). Before leaving to our destination, I read almost every review on this hotel. I saw a lot of mixed reviews and I must admit - I was very worried this vacation would leave a lot to be desired. However, we had a great time and this resort was perfect! There were a few things that were not 5 star quality, but please remember - this is not a 5 star resort and that has to be kept in mind. The saying "you get what you pay for" pretty much sums up this hotel.

Check-in
TERRIBLE, this was the only part of our vacation that left me very irritated. First we did not receive the welcome cocktail we were promised, then the man that checked us in rushed through everything and even stopped attending to us half-way through to help two other girls that interrupted. We upgraded because we did not recieve the kingsized bed we had requested at least 3 months in advance. When we arrived to the room, the room keys did not work which further irritated me because it was likely the fact the man at front desk was distracting himself with so many other things during our check-in. However the man taking our bags to the room was AMAZINGLY helpful and patient. He was the only reason I stayed calm and had a smile on my face!

Upgrading
We paid $210 CAD to upgrade and in my opionion that is very overpriced! It is worth the upgrade because the rooms are much more beatiful, fridge, which is re-stocked each day (that includes water) and you dont have to pay for a safe. However - it is not worth the price and I would not pay it again if I returned to this resort. The higher upgrade for the suite with a bath on the terrace was $50 more per night but we chose the lower upgrade at $30 per night.

Room
Great! It was very gorgeous and very well taken care of, our room was cleaned top to bottom everyday and we even had turndown service. I love the fact they do not change the sheets and towels everyday to lessen the environmental impact (unless you leave the request card on the bed, or your towel on the floor). The room contained a flat screen TV, desk & chair, small table & chair, two chairs & small table on the balcony, coffee maker, plenty of closet space, safe, 1L bottles of Gin, Vodka, and Rum with two glasses, king size bed mirror and hair dryer in the bathroom, sewing kit, shaving kit, dental kit, shoehorn, and shoe polish. For any smokers out there, we were allowed to smoke in the room. But you can not smoke in the buffets, disco, or lobbies. The bathroom was incredible, my only complaint is that the hot water was not consistent. It never ran out but it cycled through hot and cold which was annoying but I think its just a matter of their water system because it sounded as if it was working hard to pump the hot water in.

The food was not always great because it was fairly repetitive and boring at the buffets, however, you get more than enough coupons for the a la cartes, so this should not be an issue.
La Creperie was AMAZING, although I wish they were opened earlier (not open till 5pm). There were two buffets, La Brisas and El Mercado.
La Brisas is open air but has nets all around to help keep the birds out, we went here most.
El Mercado is enclosed with glass windows and has the best breakfast.

I saw many people complaining in their reviews about not being able to get a second cup of coffee at the buffet in the morning, but these people were wrong! All you have to do is ask, there were times when I even got a coffee in the evening and it was never a problem. Please remember the staff at resorts only have two hands and feet. If you want your every need catered to without having to ask - pay for a 5 star resort and save people from having to listen to your pampered complaints.

There is also the Bambleo snack bar which has basic stuff: burgers, hot dogs, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc. A lot of the other stuff looked like leftover buffet food, but I just didnt eat the stuff that looked undesirable. Simple! lol

There were 5 a la cartes, we went to 4 of them, because I read bad reviews about the Mexican and just didnt want to be disappointed. I should also mention they give you a wine menu where you can purchase different wines at the a la cartes, I found this a little odd for them to hand out at an all-inclusive resort.

We went to Mikado Japanese first, we went early (5pm) the first night so we wouldnt have to wait but they ended up being closed, which we were not aware of (no sign on the door) the second attempt we went at 6:15pm and had to wait until 8:30pm to eat. But there was a very nice sitting area with a bar where we could wait. The wait times are solely because there are only two rooms for people to be seated so it takes a while. As most reviews say - its very much worth it! It was delicious and an incredible show.

We did the Italian one second and it was absolutely incredible! The food was so good - but be warned, they provide A LOT of food at this a la carte! We were stuffed!

Third was the spanish a la carte (Tapas) it was also delicous. My minor complaints here were: tiny portions, we had to sit on the terrace in the wind which made it difficult to eat, and the staff were not very attentive here, no big deal we just left out the tip at this one.

Last we tried the Steakhouse. I was concerned because reviews had mentioned it being the snackbar by day - a la carte by night - but I was pleasantly surprised. I had grilled chicken and everyone else had the fillet mignon, both were incredible. The cheesecake was boring for sure. Big portions here too.

All in all the food was pretty good and you will never go hungry here! There could be some improvements made in the variety and quality of the buffet food but no big deal for us!

Pools and Bars
We frequented the Tequila Bar which is the pool bar on the Yucatan side. The staff there were very fun and friendly, we always had a great time there! There are two sides to this bar and the pool side closes at 5pm but the other side stays open. We didnt go to the Margarita bar on the Riviera Maya side often, but it seemed to be the quieter and more family oriented pool area. One of the times we went, the bartender did not get to us as often as we would have liked but he definitely made some strong drinks!!

Other bars included the Pure Chill Out Bar (not great service) A bar on the riviera maya side which we didnt even know was there until the last couple days but it was very quiet, the sports bar - good for pool and ping pong (again, not great service - the bartender was watching TV the whole time) La Pinata - the disco, so fun! They even had a door man to open the door for everyone going in and out, the theatre had a bar but we only made it one night, and the snack bar had a bar. I could be missing some! The bars were everywhere - you wont go without a drink here!

The Beach
Mixed reviews about this beach. The lagoon side is very murky if you like to snorkel, people also stand in the water and feed the fish which attracts seagulls and ruins it for the snorkelers. This is also not healthy for the coral reef because it stops the fish from feeding off the reef which is what they are supposed to do, so plase stop doing this! The ocean side had nice beginners snorkeling if the water is calm enough. The beach was small but still very pretty. If you're planning a wedding or if you like long walks on the beach - this is not for you! I have previously stayed at Akumal Beach Resort and the beach there is absolutely incredible!

The staff
The staff at this resort are what keeps the resort going. They are amazing people! They genuinely give you great service with or without a tip. Everyone is polite, even with rude customers and they all greet you with a smile, even if you can see they have their hands full. We were not able to tip the staff many times because we could not get change anywhere!There were two shops at the resort that always tried to have you charge to your room and the front desk would only provide bills as small as 50 pesos.

Misc.
This resort should be considered semi-inclusive NOT all inclusive. Our travel parters did not upgrade, and had to go and fill their water bottles at the buffets and bars when they needed more water or purchase/charge new bottles at the gift shops.They had no coffee maker or alarm clocks in their rooms, and no fridge! I have NEVER stayed at a resort that does not include the safe in the price and the fridge in the room! That is ridiculous. As mentioned previously, why are they providing a wine menu in the a la cartes with wine you must pay for at an all-inclusive resort?

DO NOT bring travelers cheques - no one accepts them anywhere! We were lucky to have a couple shops accept them otherwise we would have been screwed. CAD and Pesos are readily accepted.

If you go on any excursions, my advice is do not go through the hotel/nolitours booking company. We booked our tours directly through the tour companies and we had a much greater time than any people we spoke to that had booked through the hotel. We booked with Captain Quickie Tours, which is literally a 5min walk from the Catalonia. We also booked with Jungle Jims ATVs, who I emailed and planned with before getting to Mexico. Both of these excursions were INCREDIBLE and I highly recommend them both!

If you are thinking Coco Bongo DO it!!! It was the most amazing thing I have done in Mexico regarding nightlife and we would have done it twice if we had the time! HOWEVER - DO NOT book with the guy (I think it was Marco) who sells tickets from the little hut beside the snack bar in the resort!! He flat out lied to us about what the experience would be and I found him VERY unprofessional!! I am not a nervous person in Mexico, especially PCD which is totally safe - but this is not the guy you want to book with if you have anxiety about being on your own in Mexico! Marco told us we would not wait in line, we would be sitting in a private balcony of Coco Bongo and we would have our own bartender. He told us there would be someone with us at all times to make sure we were ok. TOTAL BS on his part! None of this was true besides the bartender and he was terrible, even when tipped very well. I will write a detailed description on the night in another review on cocobongo.

All-in-all, I would only recommend this resort for someone who is not too picky and just looking for an affordable all-inclusive vacation. A vacation is what you make it, and we had a blast! I would only return to this resort again if we were on a tight budget, otherwise we would go somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Candini7

Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I went to this resort Feb. 18-25 2012. We paid $1145 CDN, but then upgraded to the Privileged area for an extra $210 (total).

-The resort itself is fine. The property is clean and well maintained, nice staff and decent service. The upgrade was money well spent as those buildings are in a quieter part of the resort, and the room itself was fine.

-Food: Overall, quite good. We tried each of the 5 restaurants. Japanese was probably our favourite, Italian least favourite. As a general rule, the simpler dishes were excellent whereas if the kitchen tries to get to fancy, the food suffers. Our only complaints were that the restaurants were a little crowded at times, and the food at the snack bar is not very good. (think frozen stuff from Costco) Overall though, we were quite satisfied with the food.

-Drink: We are not big drinkers, but the quality is a little low. Lots of pre-packaged syrupy sugary drinks with not much booze. The classic cocktails were better. Drinkable wine with dinner.

-Beach: Looks really nice, shady and sunny areas. It is a bit rocky though. Bring a pair of tevas or something similar and it is fine.

-Pools: Water was great - clean. Not too crowded on the Yucatan side.

-The service staff was great. Bring some small bills, they really work hard and deserve some tips.

-The gym and spa were quite nice.

Everything seems good, right? Not quite. Our biggest problem with the place is the guests. Many (maybe most) guests at this resort simply have no class - regardless of where in the world they are from. It's difficult to explain, but there are just lots of trashy types here and it kind of threw us off. Drinking contests, blasting AC/DC by the pool, eating topless or in speedos, walking around with a thermos full of beer, loudmouths swearing - you get the idea. Bear in mind we have only been to one other all-inclusive holiday at a much more upscale resort, so maybe this kind of crowd at this price point is par for the course.

I would not go back, but instead would spend more to go to a 5-star for a classier experience.

11 Thank KVMtl
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, February 29, 2012

Pilot Butte, Saskatchewan, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stayed here in February 2012. The beach was nice, pools were good, and the chairs in and around them seemed available. The most positive thing was the hotel was very clean, friendly service staff, and the hotel seemed not very busy. The food was plentiful in the buffets with a decent variety. The A la carts were hit and miss with the best being Japenese and the SteakHouse. The negatives include large trucks(some without mufflers) backing up in all hours of the morning I assume bringing supplies to the restaurants and rooms that come without alarm clocks, fridges, and coffee makers. To get these rooms you need to upgrade for a cost of 20 dollars/person/night. We read this and my husband brought a cheap Timex watch for an alarm clock and it was stolen the first morning by the cleaning staff:(

Room Tip: Prepare to upgrade room if you expect a four star experience.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jennifer H

Uxbridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I really don't have any complaints about this resort. It was great! The food was excellent, so many choices and the buffet always had something interesting and different. The beach was nice, some easy snorkeling out front the hotel and lots of fish hanging around. The night life is a little lame, although the resort staff out a lot of effort into the shows which were all entertaining. The one thing this resort is lacking is some live music on the beach... Lupio and Sylvia (the entertainment couple that play every other day) are terribly cheesy with their cover songs and keyboard.

Go here with some friends and you will have an awesome time.
If you are a diver, the dive shop on site ProDive is unorganized. They didn't seem to care to tell us the details of our dive trips, such as departure times. The dive masters and guides who did the actual trips to Cozumel - Fritz, and Cenotes - Derrick were excellent. The staff was pretty much useless.

Anyways we had a really enjoyable week, with lots of diving and one day of ziplining, tulum, rappelling into sink holes, and underground rivers. That was fun.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,602 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,403 reviews
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#93 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,899 reviews

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!