“Excellent Resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Excellent Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

For anyone who has negative comments on this resort, I have no idea how they can be justified. I have travelled around the world on both cruises and vacation resorts and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this resort.

The food is good, there are 5 a la carte restaurants that are all great, the rooms are clean and spacious and there are 3 heated pool with 2 swim-up bars. The beach is rocky in areas when entering, but just find an entrance where there is sand! There is also a lagoon if you want something much quieter and calmer, as the waves in the area are always quite rough anyway.

I was at a Sandals in St. Lucia last year and a Sandals in Ocho Rios the year before and this place is as clean and accommodating as either of those resorts. The food was just as good and the pools were probably better. For a 4 star resort, you can't beat the price for the money.

To top it off. its actually located in a gated community, so you can leave the resort for walks, golf or dolphin excursions on foot and feel completed safe.

Very good spot.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

I picked this holiday based on previous reviews and was not disappointed. Accomodations and food were better than expected, but I travel for sun and fun and the experince for the kids. The food is far superior than Cuba and Dominican, but still not like home, we didn't care because we were'nt there for 5star food, we went for 5star hospitality, that we got. This trip had everything we were looking for. The only thing lacking was a sandy beach, but if you're into snrkelling, this is an amazing spot. Coral reefs right at edge of beach with lots of colorful fish. Spend $7 taxi and go to Chadraui, it's the Mexican Walmart, has everything, cheap booze, cheap snacks, cheap gifts, don't buy in your gifts at the Marina, twice the cost. But do go to Marina to book your excursions, 1/2 the price that is quoted at hotel, only a 5 minute walk.

Rob & Liz in Whitby

Grande Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

This is our 2nd time at the CAT. We thoroughly enjoyed our vacation, Ill break it down:
The Good:
-Excellent service, better than 2 of the 5 star resorts we have stayed at. The staff are wonderfully friendly, and maid service was always spotless.
-Food was great, could not complain..and yes, there was bacon everyday that we were there. The Crepere was especially good for a after-dinner banana split!
-The beach was not the biggest, but as long as you know that, you will not be dissapointed. We brought our water shoes and did not use them. I got stung in the lagoon by a jellyfish and had a bit of a reaction the next AM (swollen lips). We told the lifeguards, but they didnt seem that it was a big deal. Watch your little ones with them!!

The Bad (or so-so)
- A minor detail, but may be handy to those with young kids..they are phasing out straws at this resort, so pack your own if your young ones require them. Not that Im complaining, enviromentally it makes sense, but thought it might be useful to some.
-the standard rooms suck compared to the Priveleged suites! We emailed twice and phoned twice to book a PS, but it is a first-come, first-serve service. So no luck for us. The least they should have in there is an alarm clock, coffee maker and fridge!! The hallways were dingy and dark. The bed and tv were fine.
-It is full-on "towel game" at the resort at this time of year! We were there back in Oct, and had no problem getting a spot, it I did not get out to the beach BY 7am all the spots with shade were gone.
-the gym needs a spray bottle and paper towels to clean the machinery after you are done with them.
-Not related, but a tid-bit of info. The Swim with Dolphins exhibit at the marina (5 minute walk away) is horrendous. The fact that the 4 dolphins share the same marina water with the boats is beyond me. The water is gross from all the boats, and the dolphins are in a big, square pen. Gross. Dont support it if you can. So sad.

Also, please tip people working so hard at the resort. We brought $150 american dollars and used them all up over the week. These people work so hard for so little, share the wealth!!

Feel free to email if you need any info.

4 Thank hurricaneblues
Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

Just got back from the Catalonia, went from April 5-12. I've been reading reviews of people that went to either Yukatan or Rivierea Maya , and have trouble understanding expectations. This is considered 4* at the travel agency and I agree. I've been to 5* hotels recently and there are extras(luxury, seafood ...etc), but I consider the Catalonia to be a great 4*hotel. Water shoes are quite necessary and we were very happy to have them. The water was very warm when we were there and it was great to be able to play in the waves.And we also spent alot of time in the lagoon looking at the fish!The pools are very nice, didn't spend much time there but were kept very clean. WE LOVED the fact that we could eat 3 meals a day in the outside buffet La Brisas. There is also the exact same food in an air conditioned buffet the Mercado, but we always chose the outside one. The second day we were there we went to the bar to see the woman for reservations. We reserved them all and in 10 minutes we were done. During the day there were alot of people waiting,though.We had a great time at the Japanese restaurant as well as the Mexican. The tapas was ok. We never did go to the grill because it didn't suit. There is a beautiful bar with a view of the ocean next to the Mexican and Italian restaurants.Very quiet but very nice. We also went to the Creperie to share a crepe and have ice cream. Delicious! We went to a few shows at night, the Lion King was very cute, and the Black Light show amazing! The staff work very hard all day and then continue at night , they must be exhausted . We noticed that people didn't tip often. A few tip at the bar but we hardly saw anyone tip at the tables,which is too bad. The room was very plain, but kept perfectly clean.If you are expecting luxury you will be dissapointed.Another plus was having the marina a short 10 minute walk away. We walked over often to watch the dolphins and check out the stores. You can get anything you want over there, but you have to bargain! Don't trust the first price! There were often tables set up at night around the pool with vendors selling there things. It was fun to walk around and they weren't agressive at all.We went to visit Rio Secreto, the hightlight of our trip! Wow! Also did Mayan Aventure and went snorkeling in Puerto Morelos! I'd recommend all three! If you are going, have a great time Enjoy yourselves! I,d go back any time!

• Stayed April 2011
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I have always spent the money to go to the 5+ star hotels when traveling to sun destinations. However, this year the pocketbook just couldn’t stretch that far so we decided to go more basic. We made a conscious decision to travel with an open mind and just embrace our holiday for all the good and potential bad. This resort is basic, no alarm clocks, bar fridges, simply rooms, rooms with no view etc....... BUT we loved every second at this resort and would go back in a heartbeat. The staff are great, the service is phenomenal, the place is clean, the food is tasty and the drinks are yummy.

ROOMS: We went with the standard room. We had already decided that if we ended up with two double beds we wouldn’t complain or try to switch rooms. We did get two doubles and cozied up in one, strangely enough it wasn’t that bad. No bar fridge – we didn’t miss it after a couple days but it would have been nice to have one. As other people have pointed out there is no alarm clock. We used our cell phones as an alarm and for the time and didn’t miss the clock one bit. Our room was right beside the service road that divides the two resorts. At night deliveries would come and the trucks were loud. I woke up a couple times but my husband slept right through it. The room was very plain and had only a couple English channels on the TV. But lets be honest here – there is no reason to be in your room that much anyways so standard is sufficient.

BEACH: Yes, the beach is very rocky and kind of small. However, rocks = fish and fish = fun!! Aquasocks/Watershoes are definitely recommended. We picked our Aquasocks up at Canadian Tire for $8 but I’ve also seen them at Superstore and WalMart for reasonable prices. There is great snorkeling right off the beach, lots of colourful fish. In lagoon by the “wall” we saw tons of fish, an octopus (!), an eel, and a barracuda! If you want to see creatures other then the fish I recommend going snorkeling before the beach gets busy because all the commotion scares the octopus and eel back into their tunnels. My husband spent hours snorkeling at the beach and lagoon and loved every second of it.

BOOZE: No watering down what so ever! The first night we ordered Manhattans and couldn’t finish them because they were so strong. I watched the bar tender make my next drink which was pinacolda with tequila. ¾ tequila – it was good night after about two drinks in. The wine was fine, nothing fancy and defiantly not the best I ever had but it certainly was drinkable.

SERVICE: Here’s a tip for those of you who complain about the service. You are grouchy! This is a small resort and of you are rude just once to a waiter he is going to remember you and the rest of your party and you will get bad service because no one wants to deal with you. If you deal with issues and concerns with a smile you will get a smile back.

TIPPING: The staff here are great! Tip!! The staff deserve it.

BUFFET: The buffets were pretty standard. We never left hungry and even found some new favourites. (BTW that watery oatmeal stuff they make in the mornings is actually quite tasty.)

SNACK BAR: A great place to take a break from the sun in the middle of the day and chill with a hamburger and beer.

A LA CARTE: We never waited in line to make a reservation for an a la carte. We did see people waiting in line on the morning when the girl got to her desk but I'm not sure why. We went after noon and never waited in line and were able to reserve the restaurants we wanted at the times we wanted.

Italian - Service was good. Food was yummy.

Steakhouse - Pretty standard for a Mexican resort steak house. You aren't going to get Alberta Grade A beef here but its good as long you have a little perspective as to where you are.

Tapas - I was a little worried because of all the bad reviews about the Tapas. What a great surprise!! So good!! Inventive and unique.

Japanese - Heavy on the soy sauce. A very fun place to have dinner. Be social and chat with your fellow diners.

SPA: I never went but I did talk to some ladies who went and they raved about the spa.

STUFF TO DO: On this trip we didn't do any excursions. In the evenings we would walk to the marina to watch the dolphins and manatees.

TIPS: Bring Aquasocks. Exchange your $$ in American and Pesos before going. Bring lots and lots waterproof sunscreen. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Overall, the resort is great. By no means 5 star maybe not even 4 star if you look at the details but if are open minded and don't sweat the small stuff you will have a great time.

1 Thank GigglyGecko
Kentville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the CAT April 1-7 along with 2 of his brothers and their partners (having missed March 31 due to plane issues) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The resort is a perfect size so everything you need is near at hand - our rooms we as far as possible from the lagoon and it was no more than a 3 minute walk - 15 seconds from room to pool and Tequila Bar, less than a minute to the ocean and Pure Chill bar.

I didn't wear my water shoes because I found sandy paths to get into the ocean. The water was beautiful! I'd never snorkeled before but the fish and warm ocean had me really enjoying it! Watch for sunburn, though!!! Ouch! So much for waterproof sunscreen.

When we first arrived, only 1 buffet was open as they were less than 85% capacity. There were no long lines and the food was tasty, plentiful and nicely presented. When the smaller buffet opened we ate there (other than a la carte nights) and had great service and very good food.

The a la cartes were very good. We ate at the Japanese (delicious but a bit rushed), Tapas (the almond-coated cheese truffles are fabulous, as was the pork), Steak House (we all had different meats and all like our choices) and Italian (I went with waiter, Eddie's, recommendations and it was all delicious). The Creperie was a huge hit with the sweet-tooths in our group! Drink service was sometimes a bit slow at all the a la cartes but no big deal. We did not have long waits to book our choices but I did talk to some who stood in line 2 hours! Personally, I would walk away and come back another time.

Our room (1119 ground floor by pool) was very basic but clean and we had the greatest towel art each day. We spend so little time on our room the great shower pressure, clean towels and comfy beds were all we needed. One complaint: of the 3 couples only 1 had a king sz bed, the other 2 had 2 doubles in our rooms. An in-room coffee maker would have been nice but we didn't miss it too much.

The nightly shows were highly entertaining! That crew works incredibly hard day and night.

I can't say enough good about this place! We all agreed it rates near the top of our resort experiences and some of our group have been to DR, Jamaica, Cuba and other Mexican resorts as comparison. I would very seriously consider going back with our kids (ages 6-13) next year. They would love it as much as we adults did!

Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

We travelled to Mexico and stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan from March 31 - April 7, 2011. We were on the ground floor mid-way between beach and lobby. Lagoon was fun with all the fish, check it out, you can borrow a mask and snorkel at the rental area if you don't have your own. Buffets and a la carte restaurants were great. Our group of 6 found everything very YUMMY! I didn't taste anything I didn't like. We did not think that drinks were watered down as suggested in other reviews. It is a very short walk to the marina where you can see the dolphins, manatees, sea-lions, shopping and eating! A fun place to walk to and hang around. We found all the evening shows to be very entertaining and the sports bar was lots of fun. We were in a standard room which we were very happy with.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,598 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#67 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,396 reviews
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#93 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,895 reviews

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!