“Excellent stay, but check in/out very unprofessional”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Warminster, Pennsylvania
“Excellent stay, but check in/out very unprofessional”
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay and we loved everything except the check in/out. It was very unprofessional and took forever!!!!! Rooms were great, very clean, comfortable beds, enough space for a big family. Buffets and restaurants were very good at the palace, Kyoto was excellent, spanish and Capri not so good. Beach was perfect!

3 Thank Olga B
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Recepción at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear belovita,

Thank you for have taken some of your time, and given us your comments about your recent stay, all comments mention have been taken and have analyzed discussed with our staff, I can assure you that we are working on them, we do hope you give us the opportunity to show you the kind of service you deserve.

Jose Luis Serratos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,300)
  • Polish first
north west
Reviewed August 27, 2014

After reading the reviews before we came I was worried - however I did not see anything to justify the negative comments made by others.
Check in was smooth and quick and we were given a drink (strange melon bellini) as we checked in and offered bottled water.
The room was just amazing - they had really thought of everything. The mini bar had coca cola, sprite, fanta, corona, orange juice and iced tea - this is all included and replenished daily. The bathroom had a bath, separate walk in shower, two sinks and separate toilet and ample towels as well as toiletries and a decent hairdryer. I did not find the bed too hard but that could be personal preference - I wouldn't worry about it though. There were scales, bathrobes, slippers. Plenty of wardrobe space, a double suitcase ledge thing for unpacking. Seating area and lovely balcony. I really don't think they could have made the rooms any better.
The hotel grounds and beach are immaculate and they are constantly working to maintain and clean them - even down to replacing missing tiles in the pool.
Pool is just amazing and oddly the water was warm in August but still lovely and refreshing. The swim up pool bar was fantastic - and did not smell like some reviews suggested. It must've been clean too because it was not swarming in flies and wasps.The pool bar really made our holiday. The pool also has loungers in the water. We never struggled to find a sun bed although some people did reserve them. They also give fresh towels everyday so did not end up using our own. Only slight criticism is there is not much shade so if travelling with young children it may be worth bringing an umbrella for the beach. It was easy to burn in the pool so would suggest the swimming costumes for children that really cover them up and plenty of reapplying of the sun-cream.
The beach was stunning with plenty of loungers. Take snorkelling gear as there are lots of tropical fish and sea turtles (Outside coco bar and at about shoulder height).
Food was what you expect from a buffet abroad really but things like steak, pasta, kebabs all cooked in front of you when you choose them. We went to the French and Brazilian restaurants and they were brilliant. I could not fault the food or drinks or service. The staff could not do enough for us.The beer on tap is corona but being in the Palace we got top shelf spirits. The soft drinks were coca cola etc not own brand.
We did walk down to the other hotels in the complex all seemed really nice. Looked like there was loads for kids to do too with kids clubs, tennis, football, chess, pool, waterslides etc etc
I would go back without hesitation.

Room Tip: We had 2010 - I don't know what you get for club premium but we didn't feel like we had lost...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank rebecz456
Dear rebecz456,

Thank you so much, we have posted your review on our staff board, therefore all our co workers can see how there effort has been qualified, at times we are given different reviews, but all reviewes we take them and try to improve.

Warm Regards,

Jose Luis Serratos
Long Island, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2014

This is the 2nd time my family and I have come to this resort. The first time, we stayed in the Colonial. It was amazing and I always said it was my best vacation ever. We decided to upgrade to the Palace this time & it's even better. We did not have to wait long for check in at all. The beaches are beautiful and we didn't find it rocky as others have stated. The resort is pretty big but we were lucky enough to get a room that wasn't so far from the pool. The food in the buffet and the specialty restaurants are so good. Hands down the best food at any all inclusive resort we've been to. The pool is HUGE so it never felt crowded. The rooms were spacious & the bathroom in the room was amazing.

I didn't give the resort an excellent rating because there were some negatives. First off, the wifi. They charge $13 a day and it can only be used in your room and in the lobby. All other all inclusives that i've been to have had free wifi, atleast for an hour. Secondly, it was nearly impossible to make dinner reservations. On our first trip we dined at Kyoto (hibachi restaurant) and we loved it so much. This time, right after checking in we tried to make a reservation for Kyoto and they were already all booked for the 5 days we were going to be there. A lot of the other ones we wanted were booked as well. Luckily for us, we decided to just show up at Kyoto and they said they would try to squeeze us in, which they did. Another big issue was people going early to reserve loungers by the pool. We would go to the pool right after breakfast and there would be no loungers left because people put their towels on it & leave. I think that's horrible and inconsiderate! A lot of times we were forced to go to the beach because we had no seating by the pool, meanwhile the pool was empty.

Lastly, I just want to make a comment about something I overheard. Some lady was bragging to her friends that she told one of the servers in the buffet "If you want to receive a big tip, go get me french fries right now!!" and then she started laughing and said the lady went running off to get her fries. I think this is horrible. Yes they are there to serve you, but there is no need to treat anyone like that! I was able to speak to a worker in one of the gift shops who said she left all of her family and friends for the opportunity to work at this resort. She is alone now and works every day. She sends money back home for her kids. These people are humans just like you & I, and it's disgusting to treat someone as if they are below you just because they're serving you. I hope that nobody reading this will ever treat somebody that way. It's wrong.

5 Thank Jessica_P07
Dear Christina 187,

It is so kind of you to acknowledge all and each one of the employees at the hotel. Our main goal is to make everybody's vacation the best.

For us, it would be kind to host you once again.

Kind Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week at the barcelo maya palace.

Without a doubt this is the best hotel i have stayed in.

The food was excellent, the staff friendly and very helpful, the rooms were clean and luxurious.

The pool areas and beach were clean and all the grounds are well maintained.

We have already recommended the barcelo to friends and family and will definitely be returning ourselves.

Dear Da-plum,

How kind of you take in consideration, letting us host you and your family for a second time. If that is the case please let us know so will be eagerly expect you.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

We had a VIP reservation in here. We had a check in in a private area, made us feel very special.
Upon arrival to the room we got a bottle of tequila waiting for us and later they brought us a bottle of sparkling wine and sweets. Also with VIP you get a free room service (otherwise $97 per order, no matter what you get) and mini bar is included also.
$13 for internet per device per day. With our VIP we had one device included. Works only in room and lobby. But it loses connection pretty often... ;(

French restaurant is awesome! Make sure to make a reservation.
Overall, the resort is really big and beautiful. Huge pools with inside bars. The best resort I've ever been to.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hooligunka
Dear Hooligun,

We cannot thank you enough for such nice review, to all of us means a lot. We would be thrilled to host you once again.

Best regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

This is the signature resort in the Barcelo compound. In total there are 5 and if you stay here you can go to any of the others. Not the case if you stay at one of the others. With that being said I really didn't venture to the others as the place is HUGE. The pool here is the largest pool I have ever seen. It also has a swim up bar. There is a seperate adults only pool but it was super quiet. Didn't have my daughter with me but they also have a kids water park which looked like it would be fun for the little ones.

The only real negative was the bed. It was very hard and not comfortable at all. Pillows were pretty bad too. Rooms were spacious and comfortable otherwise.

The food here was pretty on par with what I expected. The buffets are very similar to a cruise ship. Lots of selection and it was OK. There are several restaurants you can book and everyone in my group agreed that the French was the best. If you want better food than don't stay at an all inclusive. I did find it strange that room service was not included. Never have seen an all inclusive that makes you pay for room service.

I did do the atv tour though the jungle that led to a canote (underground cave) filled with water. Our guides took us in the cave and it was very cool. The cost was $50 for singles and $65 for doubles. Great value and we were out for about 70 minutes. I would strongly recommend.

Lastly, make sure to take and use a TON of sunblock. We constantly were reapplying and still got burnt. The sun is vicious. If you are fair skinned and not extremely careful you will get burnt, and bad.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelforbiz2011
Dear Travelforbiz2011,

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, your review, has been passed on to the corporate office, while our guest feed back will make us achieved greater goals.

Belmont, California
Reviewed August 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

DO NOT BOOK A TRIP HERE, U WILL REGRET IT!
Paid for the all inclusive stay with round trip service from the airport. When we landed, we were horrified to learn we were NOT on the "pick up" list even though my fiancée had printed out the itinerary WITH the round trip service paid for AS WELL as the confirmation of pick up for that day and time. Waited over an hour in the heat after an all night flight. Finally, the driver took us to the resort, (which is beautiful, but hey, it's Cancun, it's all beautiful) where the manager proceeded to nonchalantly explain it was a "mix up and to not worry and enjoy our vacation". We were assured he would contact us by dinner and CONFIRM our round trip reservation was in fact included. Did not hear from him until the last day of our stay despite our daily visits to the front desk AND the travel department, ( which, conveniently is SEPERATE from the resort, presumably so they each can blame the other in situations like this). Finally, "I am terribly sorry, there is nothing we can do", is all we got. This place somehow received a five star rating and I am here to tell you it does NOT offer the amenities nor have they trained their staff to be in keeping with even a four star resort. The food was good and the beach was beautiful, other than that I hope that you don't forget anything and that you speak Spanish. I hope I have articulated my point with the couple examples I referenced. I do not want to relive any more of our DAILY DISAPPOINTMENTS. HORRIBLE!!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Blondenblue
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Guest

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of the transfer, but we do not know enything about this service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

To answer in a more objective way please, we would need to send us more information; reservation name, dates of your stay and room number to the following address; secdireccionpalace@barcelomaya.com

Thank you for taking your time to send us your comments, which they are important to improve our service day by day.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Best regards.

Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#78 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!