“Just short of great”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Just got home after 6 nights at The Palace.

Pros:
Grounds are beautiful and extremely clean.
Rooms are huge and gorgeous
Very large pool not very crowded
Great adult pool also
Ala carte restaurants are very good
Beaches are clean and water is beautiful
Staff is so friendly and I mean all of them(big shout out to our pool waitress Angelica she was awesome)
Breakfast Buffett very good
The Hotel Lobby Bar is fantastic make sure you go there.
Great maid service
Plenty of chairs on the beach

Cons:
Get ready to walk place is large
Check in was brutal took an hour
If you want a chair by the pool with shade get there about 6 am and put your towel on it
Lunch Buffett is ok but it gets old
They need to do a better job of communicating where and when activities are being held
Like everyone says beds are hard don't get it
You need to book your a la carte restaurants the minute you check in or you will get shut out which I don't get since it is an all inclusive
Wi fi don't bother it's horrible
And my biggest beef is why do I have to get out of the pool dry myself off and walk 15 minutes to get lunch?Why can't they have a small grill at the pool.Burgers,chicken fingers,fries something like that.
HEY PALACE ARE YOU LISTENING.Knock that gift shop out by the pool and put a grill there.

Room Tip: Stay at the Oaxaca building this is closest to the pool and beach
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Fffrnk U
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Guest.

It is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing.

I offer a sincere apology for the time to complete your check in and do not have a grill closer to the pools.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Travel to Barceló Palace July 19 to 24 with my family and had a good family vacation.
The beach is one of the best we have seen many sea turtles to watch.
The food at the specialty restaurants was very good and the buffet was surprisingly good and had an excellent variety of food for the children.
We have traveled to Mexico two to three times a year for the last 10 years and usually stay at the Cozumel Palace or Moon Palace.
On the negative side the beds are very uncomfortable even when using the softer pad.
The other items to be aware of:
This resort is huge and requires a lot of walking our room was close to a mile walk to the buffet.
There is a charge for internet and it only works for one user in the room or lobby area no pool internet through the hotel. This was disappointing to my wife since she likes to post face book picts while lounging at the pool.
Charge for calls back to US.
Charge for room service.
I also like to have lunch at the pool area but this resort doesn't have any restaurants at the pool you have to get dressed and travel to the buffet.
I usually pack my snorkel gear but didn't this trip trying to save weight in our luggage. You can rent snorkel gear at the pier but it requires a $50 deposit and is for one hour with a charge for additional time.
These are all small items but for me makes the difference between a four star and a five star review. I am accustom to all of the items listed above being included with my all inclusive price and not being nickel and dimed after arriving for vacation.

Room Tip: Stay at a smaller hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BigDaddy1964_10

Dear Mr. Bigdaddy.

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place,

Regarding some points you mention like the bedsmeals and the wifi we are working on them to improve our service.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Food was amazing and the place is great. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because the pools closed at 7:45 PM every day, no explanation. We would still recommend it for a very relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pc_roaming

Dear Mr. Pedro.

I appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments

Best regards.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We went over spring break and found it to be a great place to stay. Make reservations for the specialized dinners early. The food is overall good and the drinks were fair. Bring your own insulated drinking cup.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Sheaston5
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Dear Mrs Sheaston.

it is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing, It is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Great food, great service, real all inclusive, great rooms, a lot of activities, great ocean water, great beach, great location, great everything.

Well, all I can say is that this is an amazing resort. Highly, highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mr. Neil.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for the time you took to write these comments.

About our facilities, we are honored to know that we could make your stay a memorable moment, and we hope you can be like came back to this hotel.

Thank you for contacting us through tripadvisor.

Barceló Maya Palace

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I just got back a day ago and my fiancé and I had a blast. It was a great resort for a great price, and since it was our first time in Mexico we did a lot of research about which all inclusive resort would fit our needs. We are in our early/mid 20s and wanted a place that could offer some romance, fun, and a little bit of luxury at a price we could afford and this is the best for sure.

Before we went we heard a few things about staying away from the drinking water, so we bought a bunch of our own water bottles, but we didn't even need them, they filled the room with water bottles in the mini fridge that was restocked every day as well as you could get them all around the resort at no extra cost.

I had also read bad reviews about the staff not being helpful or the buffet food was bad and i found that to not be the case at all. If we spoke a little more spanish it would have helped a little but the staff was helpful, spoke enough english that we never had a problem and the multiple buffets had soo much yummy food i think i gained a million pounds. It was all very nice, clean and delicious.

The beach was nice, and although there was a lot of families there were a lot of thing to do for all ages and we never felt bothered by kids or anything like that. The room was big and spacious (we stayed in Bercelo Tropical) and overall had a great time. We even went on an excursion to Coda to see the Mayan Ruins, it was affordable and a great trip.

The only few downsides was checking in was a mess. Not for us personally, but we arrived at a peace time (around 5) and there were soo many people checking in and out that it took almost an hour waiting in line and then another 30 minutes for our room to be ready, but we just walked over to the lobby bar and waited it out. Checking out was not a problem and since that one time we never had to wait in line for anything on the resort so we just possibly came at a bad time.

And I'm not sure if you could really call this a downside but they like to give u alcohol at every turn, and keep it coming. Eventually my fiancé and i had to repeatedly tell them no, we couldn't drink any more in which they still brought more drinks. lol Since you dont pay extra for them it was that big of a deal but could get a little irritating.

Also keep in mind everything at the resort is charged in Pesos so dont be alarmed at how expensive it looks at first glance.

Also the resort credits they give you as a big highlight mean nothing. We received $1200 in resort credits and didn't use any of them. They are more or less coupons, and the small percentage they give u off on things didn't see like a discount at all.

Overall it was a great trip at a lovely resort. Spoke to various people while there that had gone to other resorts in the area and they all agreed this is one of the bed for a reasonable price. Worth a visit!

Room Tip: None of the room on the non Premium side have beach view, but all within a 3 minute walk. It gets ve...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alessandria L
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear Ms. Alessandria.

Thank you for contacting us through Tripadvisor.

Barceló Maya Palace

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

When my boyfriend and I arrived, at first we arrived at Colonial. They could not find our names on the reservations, of course we were in a panic, we had our confirmation information and other materials. To our surprise, the attendant found our name on the list to Barcelo Palace, we were upgraded! Great start to the trip already, as soon as we arrived, we went to check in. The concierge was very helpful, and checked us in quickly so that we could enjoy ourselves immediately.

First meal we had was at the Mirador Buffet, it was Oriental night, the food was phenomenal, large selections, alot of seafood, huge selection of fruit and desserts. The service was wonderful as well, our drinks were never empty. This was every meal that we had at the buffets (Hacienda and Mirador) Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner all had great selections, there was something for everyone.

The pool was beautiful, there were so many seats, it was easy go find 2 for my boyfriend and I. The pool bar had a lot of selections for frozen beverages. The bartenders were quick and attentive as well. Throughout the day, they provided interactive activities for guests at the pool.

We reserved the Aventura Maya, Dolphenius and Spa for our activities. The spa was be was relaxing, the host and the massuse made sure we were relaxed and comfortable the whole time we were there. The spa was only a 5 minute walk from the Palace to the Colonial as well at the Dolphins. To the dolphins we walked on the beach, to the spa through the resort. The beach provided alot of water activities, but unfortunately we booked ourselves with activities that we did not have time.

Our last dinner we had was at the French restaurant. Food was delicious and presentation was nice, great atmosphere and ambience and service was impeccable. It was a great way to end our night and sadly our stay.

Barcelo Palace it self has so much to do, shops, food, pools, etc. Having total access to the other resorts as well is just the cherry on top. My boyfriend and I will definitely be returning, and I am hoping soon because I already am already getting vacation withdrawals.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Miss Stephanie.

I have carefully read your comments and it is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand, rocks to snorkel and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars, etc

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!