“Nice”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Canton, MI
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was worried by some of the reviews on here prior to my trip. I did notice few of the complaints others saw, but overall it was a very nice hotel. If they worked on a few things, this place could be fantastic.

I don't want to start off on a negative, but I have to because it happened when we first arrived. It was during check in. From start to finish, it took almost an hour and a half. That was including reserving our dinner reservations because we heard to do it right away. Once we arrived, we waited in line forever. Once it was our turn, the staff person was cordial but I was hoping for a little more. None of our room requests were honored (despite an e-mail I sent prior). We were put in the far back of the resort, in the building I didn't request, on the second floor (we heard chairs being moved above us all week) and our second room was 10 rooms down. The staff person didn't really seem to care that I wasn't happy or even suggest I come back the next day to see if he could switch things around. I understand requests aren't guaranteed, but this is the first time I've ever felt like someone really didn't care. After we were given our 1 key, despite 4 people, we were told to come back tomorrow for another one. I didn't understand the thinking on this, considering everything is plastic and electronic. Just grab another plastic card and program a second key?? After getting our room assignment, we went directly to the concierge desk to make reservations for dinner. Everyone must go to this desk for info or to make reservations. There is usually only 1 worker and at least 3-4 other people waiting. Ugh. Regardless, the whole week, these people were always pleasant and friendly once we waited our turn. My complaint above was our only main issue but one I feel they must address because I've read about it on here time and time again. When guests are flying hours and spending thousands of dollars to stay there, their first impression of the resort should be fantastic. We are tired from flying and excited to see the resort and room and just want to check in...please work on this Barcelo!

The buffet was huge, there is always something for everyone. It does get a little repetitive, but they do change things around and keep a lot of basics at every meal. The restaurants were great. I didn't like the french one ONLY because the food wasn't my taste, but the service and restaurant was awesome. Our fave were the japanese and brazilian.

The beach is pretty and goes far out, but a couple spots are very rocky. We cut our feet a few times but it wasn't a big deal. The reef was awesome to snorkel and I highly recommend it, esp first thing in the a.m. My teen daughter actually broke her toe when we rented the wave runners because they load and unload you on a rocky area and she fell. I didn't understand that. But we had fun and she said it was worth it!

Rooms were huge and very nice. The maids cleaned them fantantic. They actually pull out the furniture and bed to mop under every day. There was never any sand on the floor. The room though has a very musty smell. I would recommend bringing a candle. It takes a bit to get used to it. We got on a chair and opened the vents in the room a little better towards the bed and that helped cool down the room better. We had an issue with our refridgerator the first night and maintainance came right away and fixed it. The mattress was fine but the pillows were not. I'm glad I brought mine from home.

The resort is huge, clean, and walking is a lot, but its great! There is a "trolley" in the back front of the resort that runs every 10 minutes that goes to all resorts if you don't want to walk. We used it all the time to get to the spa or the shopping center at the other resorts.

There's little entertainment during the day and the show at night is fun, but it's mostly latin dancing and we missed a good part of it due to our dinner reservations being at the time the show started. You can get a cab into Playa for about $22...that's a great time and so was Coco Bongo!!

All the staff at the buffets, shops, bars, maids, etc were very friendly. Even if they only spoke spanish, they always said "Hola". We had a great trip with family and probably return again.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, none of our room requests were honored ahead of time. I don't even think they re...
6 Thank Jennifer J
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and evaluation. We are sharing all this with our staff in order to motivate them to keep up the good work .

We also want to offer you an apology due to the time it took for the reply as this feedback is of great importance to our hotel.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
  • Polish first
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I had read some of the reviews and was a little skeptical, mostly of the reviews as they were for mostly petty gripes. From the airport to the hotel it was quite smooth. We used Best Day travel for the transfer and they were great. Check in took maybe 10 minutes or less. We were very pleased with our rooms, which were across the corridor from each other and very close to the main pool. Spacious rooms, nice bathroom, ice cold a/c and mini bar with Corona, sodas, chips and peanuts. I was sweating like a dog from the humidity and we went straight for the pool. The pool water was like 90 degrees! Then we hit the ocean...pretty warm too! Not more than 3 feet into the water and we had fish all around us, then a turtle. The pool cooled down in the evenings, it turned out that it was the hottest part of the day when we went. I went to concierge to book our al la carte dinners about an hour in. I was able to make 3 reservations at a time. They were a little earlier than I would have liked, but we were Ok with it. We went to Caribe the first night. Steak and lobster was very good. Service was impeccable. Soups were moderate. Everything is 4 course. We did the Frecnh place the second night. Escargo was perfect, with burgandy sauce. Lamb was cooked just right as well. The Lobster cappachino was interesting and quite good. My girls loved the treatment they got and our waiter made us all feel special. We did the Brazilian one night and my Rib eye was very good. The only knock would be Tokyo, which is basically the grill transfomed at night into a Japanese place. They don't do sushi well. very small amounts of salmon, poor presentation. The italian place at the Caribe was super crowded, and the large group there was obnoxious. I also took exception to t-shirts, shorts and hats on backwards? I mean they say they enforce a dress code, so I make my girls dress up and I put on slacks and then the lake crowd shows up from the valley. Can't you , FOR ONCE, dress nicely?. I'm no prude and I live in my flip flops all summer, but seriously...The buffet always had something good on it and changed a little each day. They had the best chorizo I have ever tasted. Drinks were great at the pool. Margaritas, daquiris....only Corona is served for beer. You have to walk a ways to get food during the day, back to the grill. There is a grill near the pool, but you have to be premium or pay for it. I think that this was a bit tacky. Lizards all around in grassy areas, very cool. I would certainly stay here again. Lovely beach with great snorkeling close by and fine service. Oh, Carlos did flaming Mayan coffee at Rodizios and it was quite a show. Overall a great trip at a very nice place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank donzomulan

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have literally just returned home today, 7th August.
Check in for us was very quick, as there was only 2 families that arrived on the coach.
Bell boys were quick and slick to get the bags to the rooms efficiently.
The resort was always clean and constantly being maintained. You could see the maintenance teams constantly going round checking and repairing if required to keep the standard that was expected.
The speciality restaurants were all of excellent quality. Our favourite was the Rodizeo (Brazilian restaurant) which was superb. The service was excellent, but for that little bit extra with personality ask for Irving. He was what you could call a real character.
The beach was clean and there was always plenty of loungers to go round.
Entry to the water though was difficult in some area due the rocks. There is though an area which has smooth sand entry.
Due the rock nature though, snorkelling was excellent. Small turtles and rays visit the area regularly with a variety of fish life.
Water sports availability was excellent, my son especially enjoyed the jet ski's.
Our room was was in the first block by the sea on the second floor, but we did not get either a sea or pool view. The room though was excellent.
All in all would we return?
For us in the UK travelling to The Caribbean is a luxury and has its price, if the money was available for another holiday like this, we would certainly return.
Well done to the resort management ad all of the staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Philip W

Ojai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

This may be a little lengthy but true and honest and hopefully helpful you you. We are easy going but like quality. Not snobby and demanding as some reviews come across. We have stayed at two other Barcelo resorts with this being our third. One family have stayed at this complex a total of three times. Check-in was a little legnthy (about 30 minutes waiting). We got there about 2 pm and there were about 5 others groups ahead of us. The wait time really depends on how many groups arrive at the same time. They were able to all 17 people, 8 rooms in the same building. Do not send an email to the resort to ask question or to make requests. They do not reply back.

The bad:

They do not reply to emails.

As a lot others have stated and I also reccomend is make dinner reservations immediately. Last year when we stayed at the Palace Deluxe in the DR, we were able to make reservations for all 22 of us every night. This time we could not and were told they were full all week. They also tell you you can only make three reservations per day. We asked to break out group up in different tables, times, and even separate restraunts. We were met with "sorry we are full because we are in full season."There was a legnthy conversation and do not want to bore you. However, I did something I usually do not do. I asked for the manager and we were finally accomodated. The next day we went down and made two more reservations. We ate at the buffet which is still good. Nevertheless, we paid for eating at the different restraunts which they highlight and we did not get to eat at them and had to work hard to get what we did.

They only give you one room key card at check in. Tye say it's there system that only allows one to be given. I went down the next day and got a second. Just another hoop to jump through.

Had to pay for WIFI because my daughter need to register for college classes. Tried several time to sign in to the college site in a our room and could not. We to the internet office and tried using their computer and still no go. I asked the girl if there was a better computer or better connection we could use. I explained and showed her what we were trying to do and she said it was too far away. This was probably the funnest excuse we were told all week. Really? Too far away?

The good:

The entire resort and rooms were kept clean. Typical of all Barcelo properties we have been at. Pools were nice. We were all adults (even our 18 year old kids) and used the adult pool. If you want music and pool side games, stay near the swim up bar. However, these bars are typically very busy and will have to wait. Bring you own Bubba kegs because it will keep your drinks cold and are a bit larger than their plastic cups. We also brought large Mega Kegs. We would fill our personal kegs plus the Mega's then take them to the beach or the adult pool and would share the Mega's. This lasts longer with less waiting trips. The good bar tenders recognize the initial fill time is longer but with less trips helps them in the long run. The drinks at the adult pool is better. Service and the mix that is used is different.

We spent most of our time at the beach. Mostly sandy. As you have probably read from others complaining about the rocks, well, move! Real easy to find chairs in the largely sandy areas. Do stay away from the rocks. One person in our part got a little out of hand and ran on them and his feet got cut pretty good. Another stepped on an urchen. She had black splinters and was VERY painful. We just kept cleaning and digging them out. Its the ocean. Things like this are going to happen.

If you go down to the other resorts the Caribe has a real nice large sandy beach. However if you get drinks, they will ask you to sign for them if you ask for top shelf liquor. Do worry, you will not be charged.

All the food was really good. The buffets are really good for breakfast and lunch. Yes, since we had to eat at dinner it was still good. I do not like mass made food because the quality is poor with no flavor. This was good.

Nightlife is what you make of it. This is a bad for them. They should have a sports bar. Do not go the the "sports bar" at the Caribe. Its a joke. The disco is fun.

We took the collectivo to the Tulume. Do not pay for a excursion. We paid $8 round trip. Walked it and was nice. Went into Playa del Carmen. We arranged for a taxi at the bell hop desk. Paid about $5 more per person which was well worth it. They drove us there and told him when we would be back and like clock work he was there. We watched a lot of people looking for a taxi and at that point you are at their beck and call and the price may go up. Not the best town to walk around outside the main streets. Use common sense.

Overall, we had a great time and would reccomend to others. Yes there we some flaws but you have control to have fun or not. Yes the reservations was the worst thing and highly annoyed me but the food was good and and being with family and friends shadowed it.

One last comment about those complaining about having to walk. It's a large complex. Don't be lazy and walk. It really isn't that far unless you walk to the other resorts. After all the drinking and eating, walking is not bad.

Room Tip: We read that 8000 building was bad. Our room was 8181 and we great.
8 Thank Don R
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back !!

chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The resort is very pretty. It is green, full of greenery, wildlife. We were there mid July for a week. This is our first experience with an all inclusive.
Eric did a good job explaining about the resort but we pretty much had to find our own way around. Our room was a good walk away from the lobby and the restaurants. We were at the other end in Michoacán, close to the bus stop at the back which helped. Even though our room was not sea facing, it had a good view of the trees and it was wonderful to wake up to chirping birds. We saw deer from our balcony. You can see iguanas on the property at all times.
Reading the reviews we booked the French restaurant first and it was the best. We also had a great dinner at Marenostrum at the Colonial - thank you Moises for making it a special dinner for our family. He did an excellent job. The El Rodizio was a hit and miss. The filet mignon was very good but the rib eye was full of gristle and the service could have been better. You can only book three restaurants at a time, which is a disadvantage. It is a question of personal preference but we did not like the two buffet restaurants at all. The buffet at the Coral was better. Thank you Alejandro at the Lobby Bar for making sure I got hooked on to the Mosquito snack cocktail. It is tamarind based and I love tamarind.
The vacation desk recommended the whale shark tour and though long and expensive it was well worth every penny and time. If you are prone to sea sickness, I would strongly suggest you take a pill the night before and another the day of.
Overall the staff is very pleasant, and not intrusive but the front desk does need a little training on how to respond to queries. When we came to the room, our mini bar fridge was not cooling. As we required a refrigerator for medications we called the front desk to let them know. They told us it was not supposed to cool the drinks only to store them (??) though the third day the fridge was cooling the drinks. In the mean time we created a fridge out of our ice bucket for the medication. However, when we had a leak in the bathroom on the fourth day, they sent maintenance right away and fixed it.
The evening shows were okay. We had a Michael Jackson impersonator and he was fun.
I am not sure if I will do an all inclusive in the future as we prefer to stay where we can take the local bus to do sightseeing, eat at small Mom and Pop local places, street food. We like to try local good food. On the plus side it was relaxing, we did not have to think where we good go to eat, we swam in the pool, in the ocean, had a few cocktails. If I do an all inclusive Barceló will be on my list.

3 Thank rj3kilo
Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your preference and we appreciate the fact that you took some time to write your feedback about our resort.
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality and improving in our areas of opportunity.
We hope to welcome you back soon !!

Best Regards.
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I took the two teenage nieces to Mexico. Wow! This was such a beautiful place. The beach is amazing, the snorkeling, the water!!! WOW!! People say this is the best snorkeling around and you know it's true when you see snorkeling tours drop their people off on the other side of the hotels buoys! The pools are the largest around, all the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the place is very clean!! We read reviews that the beds were very hard, that wasn't true. The beds are comfortable. Granted, they aren't pillow tops, but still comfortable. We didn't like the fact that the a/c was turned off in the middle of the night because we like the room to be very cool but had this problem adjusted after calling the desk. They sent up an a/c guy and he did some tinkering and voila'...coolness. The only other downside was the food. The only restaurant we liked was the French one. Our waiter was Antonio Hernandez and he was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and very friendly. His suggestions for the Lobster Cappuccino and Escargot were spot on...muy delicioso!! We tried the seafood restaurant...YUK...don't waste your time! You would think the seafood would be fresh, but the lobster was like trying to cut a tennis ball! The coconut shrimp were lukewarm too. The seafood place wasn't good. The Brazilian steakhouse wasn't good either. The meat was overcooked and we were there at 6:30 when things should have been the freshest. We tried a different buffet on our last morning and it was really good. They make your omelets fresh to order. I would definitely recommend this buffet over the others b/c the food was overcooked and dry and just wasn't good. We talked to some people from Mexico City and they said this is the best beach in Mexico and they had been there three times. They said that the food here was about average or better than other resorts also. We will definitely be coming back here...and eating at the French restaurant or only one buffet!!

Room Tip: You might want to bring candles as the rooms can smell musty with all the wet clothing. Also, bring...
2 Thank Gay S

Yorktown Heights
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel is on a complex of 5 hotels...this one is the most exclusive one which gives you options to dine/beach at the others, but the others can't come to the Deluxe. This hotel is beautifully kept, it is so clean and the staff works their butts off to take care of the property and cleaning it up every day.

The food is fantastic, especially breakfast - we really enjoyed the buffets at the palace as well. If you can't find something to eat there, then you have some eating problems!!! LOL...My 13 year old is a picky eater and he ate EVERYTHING! The Cappuccino at the buffets was DELICIOUS!!!! Make your dinner reservations at the fancy restaurants as soon as you check in....we ate at the French and Caribe(Seafood) which were both fantastic...just don't forget the men have to wear pants to those! The house white wine was delicious! All the bars were great, and all the service was amazing...never waited more than a few minutes for someone to ask you if you needed a drink, whether you were at the beach or the pool or the lobby!!!

Our room was perfect. We traveled with two adults and two teenage boys, and there was enough room for two more kids if needed. The bathroom was my favorite part :) Beautifully done!! The cleaning staff was amazing, pulling down our beds every night! Just remember if you don't shut your sliding door to the balcony all the way the air shuts off in a few minutes. Great way to conserve energy!

The pool and pool bar was where we stayed most, but went back and forth to the ocean very frequently to swim with the fish....it was beautiful!!! If you walk to the right of the resort to the pier you can swim with thousands of fish!!! We brought our own snorkeling stuff and fish food (which they sell both there)...just cheaper to buy at walmart...We saw tons of fish and turtles!!

We took professional family pictures with the Kodak SmileMarket photographers! They are INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Highly recommend!

We did the spa...and had massages and used the coupons they give you. $100 off for every two massages you book!!! It was great!!! :)

Would absolutely go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Oaxaca Building #8644...beautiful pool views! Near everything!!!
4 Thank GMC1230

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,910 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,605 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,142 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!