“Great Resort!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Wisconsin
“Great Resort!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We traveled to this resort in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary Feb 15th-22nd 2013.
We had a great time during our stay! I can't say enough about the employees at this resort from our check in to the house keeping, food service employees, and yes the bartenders were terrific!!!! Very kind, helpful and courteous!
I know with other reviews we read people complained about the slow check in times and uncomfortable beds, and yes it was slower checking in and the bed wasn't the greatest, but all in all this resort sets the bar high. We would go back in a heartbeat if our schedule permits next year. The resort was immaculate in every detail. I can't imagine the amount of staff it takes to run this resort the way they do. You see employees in every facet keeping the resort in top shape.
The restaurants we booked upon arrival, which is key, were great! If we had to eat at the buffet the whole trip it would have been to much of the same. you eat buffet for breakfast and lunch which is enough. With the Palace you can eat at all the resort restaurants which is nice to plan for every night and gets you to check out the other resorts within the grounds. The Palace is definitely worth the extra money...
The beach was very nice. We went snorkeling and found lots of fish and sea turtles to look at.
Thank you Barcelo for a great time! We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Ask for the type bed you want before you get your room assignment so you don't get stuck with a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gumby20052000
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, April 10, 2017
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and evaluation. We are sharing all this with our staff in order to motivate them to keep up the good work .

We also want to offer you an apology due to the time it took for the reply as this feedback is of great importance to our hotel.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hola! Going to try to cover everything for you! Arrived at Cancun airport and had pre- booked USA transfers and they were waiting for us. Recommend them highly. Driver showed us all the sights on the way. Tip: When booking for the car for your flight back...give them the exact time of the flight. I gave an hour early to be safe, but didn't need to at all. Oh, and if you're flying JetBlue...buy food in the airport before hand to eat on the plane.

Arrived and was totally in awe of the lobby. Had read about the long wait and that is true. Way too long, but nice to be offered a champagne. Noticed people in the the Premium line, and they had a wait too...not as long though, but a wait.

They told us to book our restaurants right away, and that was another wait. Didn't really know the lay of the land yet, so booked them in the lobby. Found out from other guests during the week, if you go to the lobby on the day of and ask for the one you want, you will get it--usually. It worked. Also, if you go early to the restaurant, they will seat you. I met people that had been to the resort 3 times, but never got a reservation for the Japanese restaurant. We were there 3 times in the one week! So, worth a shot.

Our fav restaurants were the Japanese, French and the buffet. The French is not NYC French...but they present everything well and make you feel good. I cannot understand how anyone could not find something to like in the buffet. The breakfast had more things available than any restaurant I've been in. We had a big salad for lunch every day with the most fresh jicama....if you never tried it, do--as it is great. Dinner was great and my other half loved the steaks cooked to order. They had iced tea at every meal and pool side.

Room: Overlooking the pool and a view of the ocean. LOVED IT. Balcony was used every night and every morning. We made coffee in the room before we went for breakfast and had it outside. Room was large--comfortable bed and loads of pillows. The restocked the mini fridge every day and there was room enough for me to stuff in extra water to keep cold. There was plenty of bottled water and they gladly brought more when asked. Very clean and the bathroom is great with 2 sinks and 2 showers. The robes were plush. The only time we heard noise was 1 morning when a family was getting ready to check out.

Pools: Amazing, adult area with beds and main pool with kids pool. Never had a problem getting a lounger. The pool service is second to none and we never were without a drink. Clean towels every day, or in between if you need them. Games to play for adults and kids.

Ocean, rocky at one end and wonderful a few 100 ft up. So there is nothing to complain about, in my opinion. Fed fish that came up and swam around us. There was an exercise class that was totally fun while waist deep in the ocean.

We had a massage on the beach and it was fantastic. They really take care of you and know how to get the kinks out!

Drinks...all brands were included and they were very generous. We went to the lobby bar most nights and had Riveria Maya cocktails. Just loved them and brought 4 back to the room every night to have on the balcony before bed. Pina Colada and Frozen Strawberry daiquiri were a staple for us during the day. We bought a few bottles of pinot grigio that were extra cost...but what the heck---you're on vacation!

The entertainment was always fun and meeting people from all different countries was great every night. One night, met a couple--they spoke little english and we spoke zippo Spanish....but we laughed and communicated for 2 hours! Friends of FB since. We went to see the other properties and although nice, we were glad we picked the Palace Deluxe.

Had room service one night and the only extra charge was for bringing it to the room. Very reasonable and the food was hot and wonderful! Raved about it for days!

There were kids around during the day...but never a bother and there wasn't a peep at night. Everyone gets dressed for dinner and we loved that!

The pools do close around 6 but that was fine with us after a long day. There was a wedding daily and it was nice to look at the brides and hear the music.

Our weather was perfect except for one afternoon of showers and it turned out to be great fun ducking for cover at the bar with other guests.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough for couples, families or singles looking for a break. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and attentive. Also, we tipped $1 per drink and always took care of our waiters. It was very much appreciated by them. Could not believe how many people never gave them a penny.

Yes, there is walking involved...but it is not as bad as some say and lets you take in the beauty of the grounds by day and night.

When we go again, I will book premium, simply to get a room with a full view of the ocean. Other than that, I saw no real upside to paying extra as you get everything already!

Loved it, loved it, loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pools.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alish2006

ontario
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have to agree with last few reviews, this is not a 5 star resort, at best it's a 4. We are a couple in mid 40's who have been lucky enough to have been traveling extensively in the last few years. This time we took our teenage children and grandparents. In all there was 8 of us in total with four rooms that we booked back in august 2012( we just got back from the Barcelo on Friday). None of our room requests were honored even though I hand sent them an email the week before and even got a response back from the hotel indicating they would honor our requests. At checkin we were told we were on the second and third floors, when we went back at 4:00 pm and picked up keys our rooms ended up being on the first floor and our luggage was not waiting
in our rooms as they told us they would be. Called the front desk and they had no idea where our luggage was. Walked back to front desk and after much discussion relocated our rooms to
second and third floors and then we picked up our own luggage and took them back to our
rooms ourselves. Staff at front desk have limited English speaking skills. Unfortunately I think
this needs to be worked on. All other resorts we have stayed in ALL the staff would great you
with a friendly hello when passing them...not the case here. I had to almost always initiate the
greeting, not really a big deal but it's the little things that can elevate the status of a resort. Didn't
like the way the room cleaning staff would converse with each other from one end of the hallway
to the other end, especially at 8:00 am in the morning...there are signs everywhere indicating
"silence" in four languages, I guess this applies only to guests! Our room was not cleaned
regularly and the bar was not restocked on a daily basis even with tip being left in the room ( on
another note, my husband is adamant that a pack of smokes was taken from his carton of
cigarettes...who would of thought that this would need to be put in safe as well). Air conditioning
left musty odour in room, so we didn't use it. Food is repetitive but for the most part is quite
good. No bar service on beach...too bad. On the plus side, we found the grounds immaculate
and the grounds keeping staff always working and doing an amazing job. The pool, lobby area,
and dining areas are all also kept very clean. Beach is great with lots of natural shade and beach
chairs. I could go on and on with the pros and cons but then again most has been said in the
last few reviews. For us this resort is way too big and too impersonal and we will not go back.

3 Thank enapra
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I just got back from my vacation stay at the Maya Palace. I have stayed at Iberostar Lindo, Moon Palace, Xcaret and now this resort. I admire all of the people who have written such detailed accounts of the resort, so I am going to keep it brief.

The food is good, but not up to par with the other resorts. A lot of the meat and chicken is fatty and not of high quality. I really feel that if a new head chef was hired and the resort upgraded its food, I might give it that extra star. I also would like to see some pool food service. When I am at a resort, I hate going in for lunch to grab a burger. The other resorts (to the best of my memory) offered a grill by the pool. This change would be great.

The check in/out procedures suck. Takes too long and the bills were wrong. A word of caution. Check your bill and make sure that you bring your booking information (cost of trip). It is amazing to me that a large hotel organization such as Barcelo is so inefficient in this area. 3 workers taking 20 minutes to get a correct bill is terribly cost inefficient and is a poor first and last impression of the resort. This is not rocket science. Get better software to be more accurate with the billing. They screwed up the credit for us not using the transportation at check in, and tried to charge us an extra 7000 pesos for nothing. We paid the bill in full at the beginning of the vacation. 40 minutes total to fix the bill.

One last issue were the restaurants. Tough to get into, but not impossible. Make reservations after you check in for the week. The shows are at 9:30, so plan accordingly if you want to see them. The service was pretty good, and the wait staff professional except for the Agave. The waiter was pushing the wine (extra charge) way too hard. I was annoyed and had no intention of tipping (most people didn't tip--I tip for very good service). I didn't think he was going to let me out of the restaurant as their method is to meet you at the door (all of the restaurants have doors that they keep closed) and open it as you leave. He couldn't hide his anger at me and I actually thought he wasn't going to open the door. Barcelo, if you are reading these reviews, Mr. Silver tooth in front needs to go.

The good. The pool is great and not packed like the other Barcelo's at the resort. I also think this might be the cleanest hotel that I have stayed at. They really work hard at keeping the resort clean. You can walk long distances barefoot and not have any dirt on your feet. Very good job with it. I also think that the staff is very nice. Could they be even better? Sure, but overall I thought it was a fairly nice staff. Finally, I think the beach is the best one of the resorts I have stayed at in Riviera Maya. Nice combination of sand areas and great reefs off the beach for snorkeling. If you have been dragging your fins, mask and snorkel and have been disappointed, this is the place you will be rewarded. I saw tons of fish and sea turtles. The best part is the activity is right off the beach in shallow water.

In short, upgrade the food quality and preparation, add some basic grill service by the pool, and for heaven's sake, fix your check in/out procedures and you have a 5 star family resort.

4 Thank chicagobergd

Bemidji, Minnesota
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We traveled to the Barcelo Palace Feb.7-Feb.14 2013 as a family of 5 (3 kids: twin boys 5 & daughter 10).

We booked our vacation at the Barcelo wanting an all-inclusive, a resort that took 3 kids in one room and something for our kids to do. We ALL LOVED it. We upgraded to the Club Premium Benefits - well worth the $. Private check in (we were able to get into our room at noon with our baggage waiting for us) - restaurants reserved at the time of checking in if you want (we did this making reservations every day we were there without any problem), towels for the pool waiting in your room - no towel cards and an awesome view of the pool/ocean. We were close to everything on the 3rd floor with an awesome view. Top Shelf Liquor included with the Premium Benefits also!

I felt like we were treated like royalty. Everyone was very nice to us. Even the bell boy remembered all 3 of our kids names after 4 days of not seeing us. They paid attention to detail. My husband and I ate Lobster nearly every day. The highlight of our dinner reservations was the Japanese restaurant at the Colonial (we ate the Surf & Turf) where they prepare it in front of you. The Palace Japanese restaurant has great food also but you don't get the awesome presentation. We couldn't get a reservation earlier in the day so we went at 9:00 which honestly was worth it!!! Make sure to ask at any of the reservation for a Mayan Coffee - an awesome presentation.

The beach was SPECTACULAR you could snorkel right off the resort in the white sand. In spots (which was noticeable) had more coral & sea shells than others. We didn't have water shoes and I never found the need. This resort is amazing from the spectacular landscaping to the pools and atmosphere. The pool is the largest pool I have ever seen in my life. The kiddie water park was amazing for the kids although I think they swam in the pool more than the water park. Our kids did the Barcy club a couple times but for the most part were in the water. Our last day they had a "pirate" day and they wanted to be involved in the activities. We took in 4 of the entertainment shows at night and found them to be great - yes they start late but you’re on vacation. Some of them like the Circus Circus was well worth allowing the kids to sleep in the next morning.

The beds & Service - I think people complain about everything. I didn't think the beds were hard like people had complained about but if you do request a mattress pad and they would be happy to put one on to make it softer. Also, as far as the refrigerator if you leave the cabinet door open for air circulation this will really help the refrigerator cool down. We did this and didn't have any problems with cold beverages. We had an amazing relaxing vacation and can't wait to go back again! Our kids all loved it and were never bored. We stayed for a week and could have stayed even longer!

Go with an open mind and enjoy. You will love it. Fun in the Sun !!! :)

Room Tip: Premium Benefits puts you closer to the Pool & Ocean. We were in the Mohichan Building. 8034. We...
2 Thank beckymg

Stewartsville, New Jersey
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Service and food not as good as 2 other resorts we went to. I had booked 4 Premium rooms Ocean view with 18 people. The restaurants wouldn't sit us together, instead they sat us with a table of 6 and spread us through out restaurant. After spending all that money I thought that was terrible. Took 2 days to fix AC in room. The resort and beach were beautiful, to bad the way you were treated wasn't good.

Room Tip: get an Ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank paul b

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was our first time visiting this resort. Both my sister's family and mine booked thru Sunwings vacations (which was another disappointment). We were 4 adults and 4 kids under 11. We paid extra for Premium Club $1000, which I think the only good thing about it was to be near the pool. The rooms were average, although the air conditioning was not working properly in our room and Our room was very humid! My sisters room had a strong sewer smell in the bathroom.
The pool was great until I saw the same paper floating on the edge for two days along with a couple bandaids. The staff would only come around for drinks when they got tips. Otherwise, you would not see them much. The worst thing for us was that they were no food served near the pool or at the outdoor grilled and no a la carte restaurant for breakfast and lunch. If you wanted to eat out at the outdoor bar and grill, they charged you $9 usd a plate. Even chips and salsa! Really!!
All other 5 star resort we have ever been offer these services. The buffet food was the same all week. Wine....The only "all inclusive" option was house wine. It was horrible. Same wine for everyone. Again, 5 star resort usually offer bottles to choose from.
The beach was disgusting with floating garbage from people feeding the fishes and leaving their garbage. The resort did not clean the beach very well (or at all?)
I can go on......
This is my first time writing to trip advisor, and I am only doing it so other family don't make the same mistake of paying $11,000 for a 5 star resort that is not worth it.

8 Thank Julie5506

Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!