“First Class All The Way!!!”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went Dec 21-Dec 28 and there were 9 of us. It was amazing!!! Food, staff, rooms, grounds are all first class. The beach is gorgeous. You don't need to go on any excursions if you don't want to, there is so much to do at all 5 resorts. Snorkeling was the highlight. You can see tropical fish, sea turtles, sting rays and coral reefs. Suggestion: bring your own snorkel gear, it's worth it, then you don't have to worry about renting it for an hour at a time. Drinks are plentiful and strong at the palace, weaker as you go further down in the line of results which is to be expected. We never encountered rude service, the staff works extremely hard to please you and appreciates when you try to speak Spanish. The Barcelo bus runs every 15 minutest between all 5 resorts so go explore what the others offer. It's a nice walk as well. Be sure to go to the pier and watch the sunset.

Room Tip: Staying in the Michochan building is closer to everything.
6  Thank ahummel
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and evaluation. We are sharing all this with our staff in order to motivate them to keep up the good work .

We also want to offer you an apology due to the time it took for the reply as this feedback is of great importance to our hotel.

We hope you can visit us again soon!!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was my first stay at an all inclusive hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm not sure I got complete value for money but it was great being able to wander around and not worry about money for the week I was there.

We went the week before Christmas and the first few days the hotel was very quiet, except for a couple of other wedding parties. However this changed for the second half when bus loads of Americans arrived. The atmosphere of the place changed a bit due to this as the restaurants went from being generally empty to being completely full.

Otherwise the place was great - the service was generally really good, as long as you were understanding about walking in and insisting on a table for 20. A couple of times we had to chase staff for drinks but otherwise there weren't any problems.

The food was nice but not amazing. The buffet was a bit hit & miss and when we ate in some of the restaurants in the rest of the campus (i.e. not in the Deluxe hotel) things were generally of much poorer quality, so we stuck in our hotel as much as possible.

The beach sand wasn't the best but it was still good and the kids pool was great for them. I didn't try the adults pool but it look significantly quieter and more relaxing!

One downside was the non-buffet restaurants. Because I went with a group I didn't book meals up front which turned out to be a bit of mistake as they filled up. Nevertheless I tried the French (disappointing) and the steak (great!) restaurants.

All in all was a great location and I'd happily stay there again.

2  Thank Peter H

Dear Guest,

We hope you can visit us again soon!!

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying we've stayed at the Caribe part of this resort in the past and had an awesome experience. When I had a chance to stay at the Palace, I jumped on it. When we arrived, our booking was incorrect. We had 2 rooms, and a total of 5 people. They showed only 2 people, and it created a problem because they issue out the braclets. Our first night was ok, but the rooms smelled like mildew. We stayed at the resort for part of our trip, and our rooms were not cleaned until after 5:00, after we had to complain. One of the supervisors Euribiel, was very rude to my family , of course when I was not around. I did let him have it the next day, but he didn't seem to understand that the guest should always be accommodated.
I will never stay at this part again. I would rather go back to the Caribe section.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank y2kraider

Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back !!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We recently December 2012 had our wedding at the Barcelo Maya palace hotel, the staff and hotel logistics were simply perfect. Even the judge who oversaw the ceremony added personal touches to our wedding. We will have a lifetime of fond memories and great stories to share with our guests and party. Our whole stay was for 23 weeks, in addtion to the wedding the trips organised around the hotel; diving, sailing, expoere, xel ha, tulum and a evfening in playa carmen were simply wonderful

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2017

Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your preference and we appreciate the fact that you took some time to write your feedback about our resort.
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality and improving in our areas of opportunity.
We hope to welcome you back soon !!

Best Regards.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Beautiful atmosphere however poor service, with rude staff. Even tipping did not result in a smile on staff's face. We went down for Xmas (2012) and our family was forced to sit on separate tables. I have been to a few five star hotels in Mexico and this resort was not five star service. (maybe a two star) The food was terrible, the staff were rude. Make sure you bring your wallet because there are added expenses to everything. For example: all inclusive however if you order from room service or by poolside there is a charge. That's just an example, there are many many more. For the amount of money you pay to come to this resort I would reccommend to go somewhere else. ( The RIU resort ) I went for ten days and every day was a disappointment. Our rooms were covered with ants, and during the nite we were bitten alive

Room Tip: Dont go to this resort
8  Thank sarah i
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review, we are sorry about our reply being delayed as we really appreciate that you have taken some time to write your comments about your experience in our hotel and this comments have been noted and shared with the leaders of every department.
We have been working hard to improve all our opportunity areas in order to achieve all our guests’ satisfaction.
Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Them Management

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family stayed at the Barcelo Palace from December 19-26, 2012. What a great time! I have stayed at Iberostar, Gran Bahia and Palace Resorts and by far Barcelo beats them all. The Palace was very elegant yet family friendly. My two children who went with us are 15 and 17 years of age. They had plenty to do with the great snorkeling on site and activities aimed at their age. My daughter met girls her age from Paris, New York and Montanta. The teen activities instructor had them playing volleyball, archery, dancing and many other fun games. The staff at the Palace were very helpful and kind beginning at the front desk to the waiters, grounds crew to the maid service. The grounds were immaculate and the art work throughout the hotel was fabulous. We walked through the other side of the resort consisting of the Tropical, Colonial, Caribe and Beach. They also seemed very nice and clean with lots of activities for all to enjoy. It was my experience that the Palace side had the nicer beach with less rocks in the water to stub your feet. The snorkeling was also better near the Palace unless you snorkeled off the pier which had lots of tropical fish. I snorkeled off the Palace beach and was able to swim with sea turtles, many different tropical fish and even saw a sting ray. Overall, great time for Christmas and they even had a very nice Catholic Mass on Christmas day.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view room. Even if you can't get one they are all still nice locations.
1  Thank lovemexico222

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback, this motivates us as a hotel to keep up the good work and improve day by day to create great experiences to our guests.
We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Let me start by saying it was great, friendly staff (especially good with toddlers), immaculate grounds (except the beach which I will come back to later), lots to do.

Great vacation, it really was, let me just point out a few things others probably haven't

1. The staff were happy to entertain my attempts to speak Spanish, which was appreciated because at other resorts they'd just speak English no matter...

2. There are cigarette butts all over the beach, which is a real shame because otherwise it is gorgeous, and for me it's a real turn off to let my young kids play in the sand/ash-tray. Held against very well kept interior/exterior, it was a blight. This said, it's probably the same at other resorts, but was brought right to my attention now I have kids. I just used the bucket/spade to get rid of them and looked for lesser populated spots.

3. The shows don't start 'til 9.30pm which our little guys couldn't stay up for, which was a pity for us.

4. They have a fogging truck going around at dusk on some back roads, so don't get caught out - take the bus if you have to go round the back of the resort.

5. The hotel wifi is not too badly priced if you get 7 days ($40ish).

The pillows were fine, some of the reviews here scared me a bit, but they seemed like normal pillows to me. The mattresses were not perfect but they added a thick topper while we were there.

Take a troller if you have toddlers, the heat etc can make them grouchy walkers and the stroller saved us!

Dear Guest,
We hope to welcome you back soon !!

Best Regards.

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!