“June 11/2011 Very Helpful Wedding Coordinators, Great Food, and Perfect Destination Wedding”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace from June 6th to the 13th, and our wedding was on June 11/2011. We had been in communication with our wedding coordinator for a year before we arrived and took care of all the details via email before we even arrived. Immediately upon arriving at Barcelo, we were taken to the Club Premium lounge which gave us special access to people who are able to help us, answer any questions, and check us in. We used that lounge quite a bit to access the internet and have our questions answered and taken care of immediately.
Our room was amazing- we couldn't ask for anything better.
As soon as we got there, the wedding coordinator scheduled all of our appointments with her, including the time to meet to finalize all the wedding details, our blood tests for the wedding, our spa appointments, and the bride's hair and makeup on the wedding day.
The meeting was quick and easy and she took all of the stuff we brought to use at the location for the wedding and incoporated it perfeclty with our vision.
We had 26 people staying at our wedding and they were spread out throughout the entire resort. This was sometimes difficult to organize things such as meals becuase of how spread out they were, but not everyon wanted to pay that much to stay at the Palace. The only complaint I have about that is that there were a few times that the Palace staff were rude to my wedding guests when they tried to come over and pay extra to eat in the buffet (aftter we had already sorted it out with the front desk).
We felt like the wedding was very organized and we had total faith that everyhting would be taken care of.
The blood test was totally worth the legal ceremony at this resort. We had an appointment, showed up in a nice clean medical centre and had the doctor expertly take our blood with no problems. It was quick and easy and definitely worth it for us.
The wedding day was amazing. Our wedding coordinator had everything planned out very well and organized. We weren't bothered by any details, until we found out that there was an issue with the musician- apprently he had an accident on the highway and wasn't coming. We hope he is ok--but they quickly found another musician to do the ceremony and began only about 30 minutes late.
The food at the reception was absolutley amazing. We had been used to amazing food staying at the Palace, but this food was amazing. We had surf and turf and evn though Lobster wasn't in season, they made sure to include it in our wedding because that was what was promised.
We got all the locations we wanted and hired a mariachi band to play at the reception which was wonderful.
The wedding couldn't have been more perfect.
The stay at Barcelo Maya Palace was also incredible in general. Again it was quite difficult getting together with guests from all over the resort because of its size, but it really has a lot to offer.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kstrongb
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2017

Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your preference and we appreciate the fact that you took some time to write your feedback about our resort.
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality and improving in our areas of opportunity.
We hope to welcome you back soon !!

Best Regards.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Palace

Reviewed June 13, 2011

The vacation at this beautiful place was spoiled by serious safety issues. Most of the tile on the grounds of this hotel is extremely slippery. On the first day of our vacation after a light rain we were walking to the beach, when I slipped on the stairs and fell with my baby flying in the air and landing with the stroller over me. My lower back was seriously hurt to a point I could not move for a couple of hours and couldn't walk for a day, my arm still has the scar from the serious bruise. At the time of the accident, we did not know if I didn't have a fractured spine. While laying at the place of the accident, not being able to move, 3 different people came by and said they or they spouses had fallen and broken their arm, hit their head, or got injured in another way. The hotel did not appear to be bothered by the safety issues and took no measures.
My husband requested the staff call an ambulance so they could take me to the hospital. Instead, the hotel staff took me to my hotel room on a golf cart risking a spine injury and they called us in a while to tell us they were not responsible for the accident and wouldn't call the ambulance (!). This was mind boggling. While we took a taxi to the hospital by ourselves, the hotel tried to charge us $300 for the use of a wheel chair. The hospital took x-rays and luckily determined there were no fractures, just severe bruises. I could walk again very slowly after a day or two. After we returned home, I complained with the Barcelo corporate hat. They brushed me off by sending me to to the local hotel management. Those people were consistent in one thing, the obnoxious reply I received again was that they were not responsible in any way. Obviously, they have no plans to improve the safety in this place. I would recommend staying away. My older son walked with me holding his hand during the entire vacation. I was really afraid of another fall. He still managed to slip three time and hit his head once. Horrible safety, even more horrible response from this hotel.
Nothing compares to the above, but FYI, all "cribs" are horribly rusted.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Advis0rm0m
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review, we are sorry about our reply being delayed as we really appreciate that you have taken some time to write your comments about your experience in our hotel and this comments have been noted and shared with the leaders of every department.
We have been working hard to improve all our opportunity areas in order to achieve all our guests’ satisfaction.
Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Them Management

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We wanted to celebrate our 25th Anniversary in Style. Four years ago we had visited the Barcelo Colonial and really enjoyed ourselves and the food and entertainment and beaches were truly wonderful. So when it came time to decide on a place to go for our Anniversary, one that we could also encourage family and friends to join us at, we couldn't think of a better place then back to the Barcelo. We decided to stay at the Palace this time, and we not let down again to the luxury and commitment this resort gives to its guests. As with most holidays, there are going to be some glitches, however, when we spoke with the hotel about a couple of our concerns ie: the closing down of the theatre to accomodate a corporate conference and not notifyig guests, it caused a bit of distress for my father who walks with a cane and had to walk a distance from a restaurant only to find the theatre closed to regular guests and then to try to find another theatre at that time was too much. So when we brought this to the attention of management, they went out of their way to make sure that my family was cared for by giving them little extras from the hotel such as access to the VIP Internet lounge. 4 times the hotel sent a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room for our anniversary, and that was such a beautiful gesture on their part. We truly appreciated that. The food at the a la carte restaurants and the buffet restaurants was we felt, "over the top" with a selection of great steaks that could be cooked to order right before you. Of all the places we have been to in the world, no hotel or resort has gone the extra mile to look after their guests. From reception to food service to room service, you are pampered in style. The only recommendation that I would give to some guests visiting this beautiful resort, is to remember that these people work very hard and deserve to be dignified by the fact that they are servers NOT servants. They are people who are deserving to be treated as we would want to be treated in our home countries. Quite frankly a lot of people in North America could learn a good work ethic from these very beautiful people. If you decide to book in here, it's well worth every penny you spend. ENJOY!! Bon Voyage!

Room Tip: phone hotel directly!!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank JeraldHinton

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback, this motivates us as a hotel to keep up the good work and improve day by day to create great experiences to our guests.
We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

Reviewed June 13, 2011

My daughter just recently was married at the Barcelo, there were 36 of us traveling from Vancouver and Toronto. I have to say the entire week went off without any major problems! That's amazing for a large group. The only things that were annoying was one couple were constantly locked out of their rooms as their keys would be de-coded.
You don't want that to happen especially after walking 15 minutes to get to your room.

The place is massive and it takes awhile to get to the lobby and back. The only other problem we had was I (mother of the bride) made a reservation for all of us one night at one of the restaurants I believe it was the Brazilian Steak House only for all of us to arrive and to be told we didn't have a reservation! Even thought we had the little forms they give you, they said they didn't have enough food, The Maitre D' I believe his name was Freddy was extremely rude and did nothing to try to accommodate us. We did however manage to get into the Seafood place next door, thanks to one of our guests who spoke with their Maitre D' who was very pleasant and helpful. Also many couples ended up with two double beds instead of a king size.

The wedding itself couldn't have been better! Our coordinator Grecia was amazing always there for us from the minute we arrived. She took care of every detail without much direction.

The hotel is massive, beautiful and the grounds are lush and well kept. The food was really good and all in all it was a fabulous week. It was my third stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Happy154943

Dear Guest,
We hope to welcome you back soon !!

Best Regards.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

When our daughter asked for a destination wedding we were thrilled with the idea, a family vacation and wedding at the same time. We arrived on Saturday, May 28th, with 30 family members for the event we'd been planning over 6 months. The wedding was scheduled for Thursday, June 2nd, plenty of time you would think, to take care of details, but that is NOT the case at the Barcelo Maya Palace. If you are planning a wedding in Mexico you are aware of the "document fees". The resort has a "document reader" who goes over all paperwork to ensure a legal wedding. Our document reader did not review paperwork until Thursday, one hour prior to our daughter's wedding. A travel visa form was missing a bar code (just a fluke). The document reader knocked on Amy's (our daughter's) door as I was placing her veil and informed her the wedding could not take place. Eventually, they agreed to an "ornamental" ceremony on the beach (over an hour late). The bride and groom spent the next day in Playa at the immigration office plus another 2 hours in the lobby waiting for a judge to "sign-off" on the papers (only after collecting the 4 witnesses from a snorkel trip when we found out they had to be present again!). I could go on and on but I won't. There are so many lovely places to stay in Mexico, choose one of them. In the past we have vacationed at RIU or Iberostar Resorts and loved them. If you are planning a special event or simply a nice vacation stay clear of Barcelo Resorts. A great vacation isn't just the resort itself but the staff, the Barcelo Maya Palace has the worst customer service it has ever been our misfortune to encounter.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the pool
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank MotheroftheBride1958

Dear Guest,

Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Them Management

Reviewed June 10, 2011

I first want to say that the resort itself is breath taking, the food is very good,The staff for the main part is nice,not as friendly as other places we have stayed.We are very well traveled and I don't EVER make negative reviews. You would think that in a week we would have more to comment on, however, in the seven days we stayed there we spent most of our time in our room making wedding arrangements that were supposed to be made by the wedding coordinator (Claudia, whom we never actually met) and our travel(Pic a place travel ) agent 6mo. prior to our vacation. The wedding staff at Barcelo is highly incompetent and you will be waiting on them every day to schedule your blood work and meetings with your coordinator, who you will never actually meet and you will be passed from one to the next. You cannot leave your room in fear of missing their pone call, Because they WILL NOT come find you! We flew down 30 members of our family on sat may28 2011 and they did not have our paperwork done for the Marriage until June 2 at 11am THE DAY OF OUR WEDDING which was at 1pm. We found out that several other brides had similar issues during our stay there. After a destination wedding from hell at the Barcelo, my advice to all of you brides looking for your dream destination wedding, save yourself from being thrown under a VERY EXPENSIVE bus here at the Barcelo. There are so many beautiful resorts to choose from, and Make sure your travel agent is on top of his/her game!! :)

Room Tip: ground floor poolside room! Fantastic!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ARocca

Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back !!

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2011

This May my family (Me, my sister, brother and parents) stayed in 2 conjoined rooms at the palace resort. We all enjoyed our stay very much. We were able to book reservations at the French, Brazilian, Steakhouse, and Japanese resturaunts with no problem. We had several available times to eat and usually ate around 7.
The French was my favorite. The filet mignon and creme brule were amazing. We also liked the 7 courses of meat at the brazilian resturaunt as well. The other places were good too, these were just our favorites.
I spent most days by the pool enjoying the swim up bar, water aerobics, dance lessons, water volleyball and basketball, or just chillin on a lounge chair. I never had trouble finding 3 or more loungers if I got there by 11 am.
The bartenders at the swim up bar were great. I always gave them a few bucks a day, but it never seemed like they expected it.
We did lunch at the Coral Grill most days if you eat there ask for Angie, she is the best! She knows all the best specialty drinks and got us some frozen coffee drinks to cool off.
At night we would stroll around outside, watch the nightly variety show, go to the lobby bar, or go to the jaguar night club.
Overall a great vacation! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2011

Dear Guest,

We are very happy about your feedback as our main goal is to leave all our Guest satisfied . We will continue all the hard work to keep satisfying all our guests and we hope to host you back real soon!!

Best Regards

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!