“1st visit”

Sport-fishing Private Charter in the Riviera Maya
$1,300.00*
4-Hour Private Yacht Tour with Open Bar, Ceviche, and Snorkeling
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Very clean and well laid out, lots to do swim with dolphins, fishing Catamaran trips shops etc. will definitely go back.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

A nice marina to stroll around and check out the shops and Dolphin Discovery. We also took a fishing charter with Captain Rick. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

My group of 13, ages 2-65, rented a gorgeous house on the ocean (Casa la Roca) in Puerto Aventuras. For our needs as a group, it was perfect. For just me and my husband, maybe not.

PA is a small marina town that's a planned gated community. Lots of luxury rentals, services, stores, restaurants, and experiences that cater to well-off families. The gated nature of the community made the parents in our group feel comfortable allowing the tweens to explore on golf carts, the common mode of transport in the town. There were lots of restaurants that were very good but not terribly challenging or creative. While I personally found the dolphin and manatee "experiences" difficult to see, many in our group enjoyed the events. We took advantage of the spas, beaches and pools of several hotels by buying day passes. Lots of little shops with touristy things and beachwear. All of it is pretty expensive...this is not a budget resort. The central location of PA, between PdC and Tulum, allowed us to stay in a place that wasn't crowded and allowed us to get to attractions so quickly.

For me, the downside is that it's a pretty antiseptic town that's not very of-Mexico. It reminds me of any marina town where lots of people can afford big big boats. I wish I could have explored the town of PA on the other side of the highway.

All in all, this was a great place to stay with a big family group. Big enough to explore but small enough to feel safe. The easy transportation on feet or by golf cart was fun. The variety of activities kept us all busy without having to rent a van or pay for taxis.

1  Thank mtbwustl
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I like the place, but there are not to much places to shopping. The sun screen at the hotel is very expensive, and se canot find to sell outside the hotel.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I think it's funny some people say Puerto Aventuras "is a taste of Mexico," as I don't think it can be further from the truth. Maybe a tasted of AZ or FL, definitely not MX! Obviously different people have different points of view, I'm one that wants to experience MX, not an overly touristy experience. EX: I will NEVER swim with dolphins in a confined space like the marina here. If you're 60yrs+, uncomfortable in MX for some reason, not interested in a great beach, need things easily catered to you, then PA might be for you. After my wife's and my first day in PA, we left the "compound" (what an ex-pat living there called it, not my words!) every single day!

We went into the town across the highway and would grab lunch there at the local taco stands (that's a true MX experience!), then grab the Collectivo vans (25-30 pesos a person a ride!) along the highway and head north and south down the road to other towns and the great beaches in the area!

If we were in PA for dinner, we would enjoy that, good food but higher prices compared to other towns. Altitudes, Dos Chiles and the Pub were our favorites in PA.

There is a grocery store a short walk away so that was handy. The people working in PA were great for the most part too.

We've been to the Mayan Riviera several times and plan to keep coming back, but will never stay in Puerto Aventuras again. It's just not for us, we want to experience MX, not be in some lame bubble...or compound!