“Most Impressive”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto
“Most Impressive”
Reviewed February 13, 2011

First I would like to say how much I love Mexico and it's people. It has been a while since I have been to Mexico and all the crazy rumours about unsafety etc. are unfounded and unfair. Mexico is amazing.
The resort is most impressive. It is very large which is good because the food is amazing and one needs lots of walking to counteract the calories. The beach is awesome and my sisters and I with whom I travelled spent many hours floating with the rolling waves and warm waters. There are spots along the long beach with coral but many white sandy spots and the ocean is east to get into.
The food at the resort is endless and delicious. I can honestly say as an extensive traveller that the food in Mexico is outstanding compared to other high end resorts in the islands. There is something for everyone and it is impossible to be hungry. Also, there is not a problem with the water as they supply ample bottled water at the dining tables and in your room. Service at the resort was excellent in every way - check in counter, room service, pool side, beach grills etc. Everything is on sensors at the resort so be prepared for lights to go out when you are in your room or in the lobby bathrooms if there is no movement. Quite the shock if you are alone.
Barcelo is a well oiled machine as is West Jet Vacations. All are equally highly efficient and professional and I give them full marks.
The grounds around the entire resort are beautifully lush and kept very pristine.
The Palace next door looked amazing but they didn't offer the same usage perks to all guests who were in the Club Premium Junior Suites. Too bad as we only got as far as the main lobby and surrounding halls in the Palace. I must say however, The Palace is magnificentlly luxurious and sophisticated and it warrants being an Adult Only hotel.
Would highly recommend the Cozumel excursion as it was very interesting with excellent snorkelling and we ate some of the best home made Mexican food.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank granddamme
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, May 31, 2016
Dear granddamme,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments,

Best wishes,
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City/Utah
Reviewed February 6, 2011

First some background--this was our first trip to Cancun and the first trip in which we have stayed at an all inclusive so, aside from the Fiesta Americana Condesa in Cancun, I cannot compare it to other all inclusives or other options in the area etc. Also, we are non-drinkers so perhaps a lot of the value of the real value in all inclusives is lost on us. Finally, my wife and I prefer to stay at smaller places with fewer people around so we were a little anxious about what was in store for us.

Bottom line--we would definitely return as family and it would be a very popular choice with the kids.

We had reserved two rooms in the Club Premium Section. Upon check-in, my wife asked about connecting rooms and the gentlemen checked his computer and offered to upgrade us (for a price) to a suite which would connect to the kid's room. This would also give us special privileges to use the Barcelo Maya Palace facilities and restaurants. He gave us a key to check it out before we made a decision and I bit because I wanted the extra space and liked a common area where we could play games with the kids etc. Although not a factor in the decision, it turned out to also be a real plus to use the Palace's restaurants etc. We has a suite and a junior suite for 5 people so space was not an issue. The bathroom in the suite was very nice as was the chaise and hammocks out on the balcony. We are used to sleeping on harder beds so that was not a negative for us. The bedding was not super premium but OK. However, the rooms had a musty smell which was the biggest negative of the whole experience for us. Not surprisingly, it bothered my wife the most. It would air out reasonably quickly with the patio doors open but it was noticeable each time you entered the room.

Overall, we had a great stay. There was always something fun to do and the food was much better than I expected. The snorkeling by the dock was good, the beach was really nice. The kids pools were well designed and a lot of fun for the smaller set. The kids loved being able to get food and drinks any time they wanted and clearly enjoyed being able to take stuff out of the minibar without their parents erupting. We had very good meals at the three a la cartes we tried (Japanese Tepanaki, Steakhouse and Brazilian). The kids tried and enjoyed some new things (which is a plus). We strongly preferred the breakfast buffet restaurants at the Palace that we discovered on our second day (better located, fewer people, nicer atmosphere).

If we were to return to the Barcelo, I would probably want to have access to the Palace which would require us to stay there (or get a suite again). Like many all inclusives, the place is huge and there are lots of people around. My wife and I would prefer someplace smaller if it were just us coming. However, with the kids, this would definitely be a popular and solid choice. We were very happy with our stay and pleasantly impressed with the facilites--great memories (which is the bottom line for me).

Dear KJ64,

Barcelo Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we deeply thank your loyalty to Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, your finest words regarding our services, pool, beach and food is always much appreciated.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

wisconsin
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We stayed from 19Jan2011 to 26Jan2011. The beach area is best in the center of this three tier resort. The "Palace" which is the high end of the price range has the worst beach area. The "Beach" is the least expensive and has a nice beach but it is rocky in places. The mid-level "Colonial/Tropical" beach is in my opinion the nicest. It had the fewest stones in the sand and no need for water shoes to walk in to the surf.
There were two volleyball nets on the beach at about the mid-point between the pier and the Palace. Nets were put up at 10 a.m. and taken down at dusk. Another net is also set up near the pier. We played for hours each day with a changing mix of nationalities and skill levels
The food was good overall with the Japanese and Mexican specialty restaurants my favorites. If you couldn't find something to satisfy you at the buffets then you are being too picky. I found the skirt steaks and burgers to be especially good in the buffets.
The fruit was top notch and smoothies made to order at breakfast along with mimosas for the asking.
Alcoholic drinks were good also. For those who complained that the drinks are "watered down" all you had to do is ask for a little extra and they would add it. At the beach restaurants you can pour your own beer or mix your own rum and coke (or what ever) along with having the staff blend something for you. It did take a while to get drinks once in a while but the bartenders and waitresses were always busy so it wasn't like they were ignoring you.
Our third floor room was nice with a huge balcony. For energy savings the ceiling fan and some lights would turn off when you are out of the room and turn back on when you entered via motion sensors. The fan would also turn off while we were sleeping which was annoying since we like to sleep with the air conditioning off and the patio door open. If you toss and turn I guess the fan would stay on but after a long day on the beach we were dead tired and didn't move.
A dollar or two and a note gets you more beer or soda in your fridge. There are ice machines on each floor so I recommend bringing a collapsible cooler to chill down the in room drinks faster.
So far this was the best all-inclusive of the five we have stayed at in Mexico and I hope to return soon.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear reinger,

Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Respectfully,

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We just returned from a one week Jan28-Feb5/11 stay at the Tropical in building Yucatan; we were a family of 10 with 4 children ages range 6-13; we had read a lot of reviews on the internet before we left; any of the reviews that were negative were dead wrong; the service was terrific; from housekeeping right to the managers (especially the front desk manager Carlos); there was lots to do for everyone; kids club, snorkeling; mini golf; volleyball, socceer field, darts, ping pong; free water activities (water bikes, kayaks) just to mention a few; the food was great; especially the japanese, seafood, italian, and steak house restaurants. We had lobster at the japanese and seafood that the entire family enjoyed. The buffet for breakfast (smoothies, omellettes and french toast were great) lunch was good and had something for everyone. The bartenders were prompt, friendly and willing to accomodate special drinks you wanted made. (especially Miguel and Angeles) Try the Miami Vice. They made non-alcoholic drinks for the children and had ice cream available at the bars and buffets; our kids loved it. We did have premium wrist bands that allowed us to have premiums liquors such as bailey; malibu rum, don julio tequila, absolute vodka and many others which was worth the extra cost. The other premium privledge the kids enjoyed was a private room with internet access, big screen tv, fridge with drinks and food. For the adults they had a self service bar to make your own drinks. The grounds were gorgeous with flowering hisbus, phlox, etc. There were paths to each hotel that were landscaped with beautiful plants and flowers. The kids enjoyed seeing numerous iguana of all sizes and birds. There we signs indicating iguana crossing and each time there was one nearby. Bring your walking shoes or most comfortable sandals as this resort is huge and lots to see if you choose to see it all. They give you a pocket map of the grounds and do use it as there are five hotels on this property and a couple of times I did go to the wrong lobby. The pools we clean, large, refreshing (they were not cold as others indicated in previous reviews) and ample places to sit (chair or hammock). I was up at 7:30 and had my choice of any chair. The kid pool was clean and they loved the slides. The beach was clean with lots of palms and chairs. I even saw pelicans and a hawk catching his breakfast. When we were snokeling near the pier we saw a sting ray and a school of over 1000 fish under the pier. A great place for snorkeling and even for amateurs. We had a gorgeous room with a nice ocean view and my only complaint is the palms blocked our view from the third floor but in a few years they will be higher than the balcony(not so bad if that is all you have to complain about). Entertainment was good; however since our children we worn out by 9:30pm we only saw three shows. We did not have the opportunity to get to the disco. Shopping on the grounds compared to Playa de carmen was similar. There we lots of families which allowed the children to all find a friend. We have travelled to Florida, Hawaii, Jamaica, Dominican and five times to Mexico and would recommend this hotel to other families. We would like to thank the front desk Manager Carlos for the excellent customer service he provided to our family.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear Docan,

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends.
We would be honor to host you again in the near future.
Kind Regards,

Athens, Tennessee
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Simply the best resort..We keep going back every year with 50 + friends and family and we have a blast..If you find something bad to say, your really looking for something very picky..It's perfect for honeymooner,couples,kids,family groups..I'm an agent and I know..I send people here all the time..

• Stayed June 2010
Dear navigatorgypsy,

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends,
Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.
We look forward to host you.

Warmest Regards,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Jan 7th my husband and I took our 3 year old and 10 year old twins along with his parents to the tropical. First this is a huge resort and is ready to walk for miles to get anywhere. The rooms were tiny and the beds are a little bigger than doubles. The staff was rude and the service was horrible. You will wait 30 mins for a drink and they have no waiters. I’m not a complainer and we have been too many resorts that we were very happy with but the Barceló is not worth what you will pay.
The things I loved about the resort are; it has a beautiful beach!!! but not abundant sea life so not that great for snorkelling.
It is definitely a family resort so perfect for the kids, the kid’s pool was great, the kid’s center was wonderful, and the kids disco was awesome...
Overall I’m not sure why it’s rated a 5 star and what the hype about it is and why it is so pricey. We definitely will not go back

Dear LeahTodd,
Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We are sorry about the inconvinience.
Once again thank you very much; we look forward to see you!

Kind Regards,

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Let me start off by saying that this hotel has got it all! There is something for everyone!

I traveled to the tropical from jan 18 to jan 25. my wife and I travelled with our 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. We also travelled with 2 other families that had the same age children.

Lets start with the rooms. They were alright. They smelled a little musky due to the constant humidity. just bring a plug in air freshener and you'll be all right. The rooms were always kept clean by the maid staff. I tipped her every second day. There was a problem in the room. There is a motion sensor in the room that turns off the power(all lights) when no one is moving. This was extremely anoying due to the fact the clock radio kept on flashing and I forgot to bring my watch. We would phone the front desk at least 10 times a day to find out what time it was. The worst part is when my wife was screaming in the shower and the light tuned off. I would be on the balcony having a beer and smoke! I know they want to save power but this is rediculous. The beds and pillows are rock hard but you get used to them. It helps to be a little drunk! The fridge was always stocked up. There was a guy who came around eveyday to fill it up. I gave the guy 10 bucks and he made sure I always had beer.

The grounds were amazing. There are always workers landscaping. Make sure you bring strollers for your young children. The resort is huge. You can check out the other barcelo resorts that are attched to the tropical. They have a shopping area beside the colonial so you dont have to venture off the resort to buy souveniers. The pools are huge but the water is not heated. For a resort of this nature, the pools should be heated.
The water park was awesome. My kids didn't stop sliding all day. The kids club looked great. We didn't put our kids in the kids club but we heard from some other families that their kids were there and having a great time.

The food was great! There is something for everyone's taste. The main buffet was great. The breakfast set up was fantastic. We had dinner at the japanese, seafood, italian, and grill. All of these restaurants had really good food. The pool side buffet was also good. The bartenders were all great. I learned if you stick with one at the beginning and tip him then he recognized me and served me first when there was a line up of thirsty people.
Just remember. Money talks. The staff aren't your servants, they are there to serve you. If you appriciate there service then you should reward them. Trust me. You'll see a difference during your stay.

Now here is what happened the last day. We had upgraded from the barcelo maya beach to the barcelo tropical when we arrived at the hotel. We were supposed to meet our NOLITOURS REP at the maya beach the next day. Instead, we met with another nolitours rep at the barcelo colonial. This rep said that he takes cares of all the travellers at the tropical so we didn't need to go back to the maya beach resort to talk to our original rep. I asked him if I should contact my original rep to let him know that we upgraded to the tropical. He said that he would take care of it all. On the morning of our departure, we were being picked up by the bus at 7:05am in the main lobby. We waited for 45min so I was getting worried. I walked over to the other resort to see if my nilitours rep was there. He didn't start work until 9am. I didn't know who to call or have any contact numbers. I spoke to a man named Carlos at the tropical where I was staying. He made a few phone calls for me and found a nolitours rep in cancun for me to speak with. I told her my problem and she basically was blaming me that it was my fault that we missed the bus. She was the rudest person I ever spoke to. I got very angry during the conversation but kept my cool due to the fact that we had a sick 2 year old that had to be hospitalized for a few days. I didn't care anymore about the bus that missed picking us up. I asked the rep on the phone to please send 2 mini vans to take all of us to airport berfore we miss our flight. She said she would but nolitours wasn't going to pay for them. I didn't care about the money, I told her. Then I asked her name and to speak with hwe supervisor. She withheld her name and put me on hold for a few minutes. She then told me that transportation was on the way and nolitours would pay for the transfer.

Overall, this vacation was great until the last day. The Barcelo is not at fault, but I do blame the tour operator "NOLITOURS" I will never book with this tour operator again and advise you don't either. Basically you are trusting them to take care of all your needs when you travel and they failed. I don't know who is at fault, but it wasn't me!

Dear Alottavagina,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this holiday
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments
Warmest Regards,

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#79 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!