“We just arrived home from a week at the barcel tropical...”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
A TripAdvisor Member
“We just arrived home from a week at the barcel tropical...”
Reviewed April 1, 2006

...upon arrival my husband"

We just arrived home from a week at the barcel tropical. upon arrival my husband discovered the deadbolt did not work. we informed the front desk 4 times never to be repaired. My son and I were awakened at 1:00 Am by banging across the hall we looked through the peep hole to observe 2 men security/ maintence banging on the room across the hall they appeared to have some kind of knife or instrument. when we opened the door they were starled and spoke in spanish and w=quickly ran off. my son and i noticed wood chips/ slices off the door in the corner by the door. creepy, I agree the space is very uncomfortable very evil.... especiallly at night we had a party of 12 with 5 teenage girls. Be very careful and DO NOT trust the security, the only thing they secure is themsleves from corruption and theft. we requested the front desk deal with the securty issues and were ignored repeatedly; I believe the security is responsible for the crimes and I caught them trying to enter our room with no purpose. Perhaps the police need to investigate the family of the management there to unviel the corruption. We will never go back there. I have felt more safe and comfortable on East Hastings in Vancouver. On a final note upon check out the front desk knowing we were on a tight airline turnaround tacked on an additional $600.00 USD to our hotel bill stating it was for upgrades???? it's not over yet.. my advice is go to elsewhere...cuba??? this place is evil. over priced, the food was boring the place was invested with ants, bed bugs in the new tropical beach side. The ocean was beautiful prestine clear blue water with a treamondous amount of colorful tropical fish great snorkeling... leave it to god for the beauty of the nature.. as for the resort stay clear from barcelo mayan.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, May 23, 2016
Dear Zojo,

First of all receive our greetings, we would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel for your vacation. All of your comments are important and will be taken in consideration for us. Feedback from our guests is essential to improve our services and achieve our goal to fulfill your expectations.

We are truly sorry for the unintentional inconveniences during your stay, we would like to apologize for this.

Our main goal is to provide the highest level of satisfaction to our guests; we hope you can give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future and show you that we can complete your expectations.

Looking forward to having the opportunity to serve you again,

Best Regards;

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 31, 2006

I stayed at this resort between March 11th and 17th, 2006. I vacationed here with my wife and her 8 year old son. My wife and I have been to the Carribean seven times in the last seven years, always 4 star or better. This resort rates near the top of our list. The Riu Jalisco in Nuevo Vallarta is still the nicest resort we have been to.

This resort is absolutley beautiful. The staff is very friendly and all in all we had a wonderful vacation. The resort was so huge it did not ever appear crowded.

The room
We stayed in a junior suite in the Tropical Hotel in the resort. Our room in the 7000 building, was close to the restaurants, the theatre, the pool where most day activities took place and a short walk from the beach. The room was clean, modern and very comfortable. Everything was in working order except for the lock on the balcony door. Even though we reported it the first night, it was never repaired. In any case, we still felt secure and nothing went missing from our room.

The grounds/ pool / beach
The grounds around the Tropical were the best kept. We walked over to the other end of the resort and although the gardens immediately adjacent to the buildings were in great shape, the green areas between the walkways were strewn with toppled plants and trees and semi dried mud. Remnants of the hurricane I suppose. The gardeners were working their way down the resort each day to remedy this situation.

The pools were clean and cool. You can sit under the falling waters of the fountains in the middle of the pools. There are also large whirlpool areas in the pools with powerful jets. We were able to find chairs around the pool, not always around the main area of the pool, but we found chairs every day, without having to get up early to reserve them. Most of the chairs on the beach were empty. The beach was clean and went on forever.

Restaurants & bars
The buffet restaurants were great. The food was plentiful and for the most part the food tasted great. We did not eat at any of the a la carte restaurants as there was so much good food in the buffet restaurants, we did not miss going to the other restaurants at all. The drinks were mixed well and the beer on tap was Corona.

Staff and Service.
The staff members were very friendly. You were met with a smile and a friendly "Ola" from every staff member in the resort.

The service was a slight let down for this class of resort but I imagine it is because we were there during March break and the staff was stretched a little thin. Minor stuff, like sometimes getting your own place settings, your own drinks, coffee, tea. No big deal but it would have been nice to not have to set your own table on holidays. In seven days, we only had to wait in line for a while just one day at the pool bar.

Entertainment and activities
The evening shows were okay. A few too many shows with interprative dance themes. The shows which included audience participation were hilarious. The "tequila man and the bartender" who come out during set changes are guaranteed to make you chuckle until you laugh out loud. The activities around the pool during the day were very popular and always attracted a very large crowd.

Excursions.
We went on three tours. The first to Chichen Itza. This was a full 12 hour day tour with a stop at an underground pool, a restaurant, the Mayan Ruins and a short visit in a town along the way back to the resort. The second tour included 45 minutes on quads through trails and 45 minutes on speed boats you drive. The third tour was to Club Avenutras. 5 minutes from the hotel, where my wife and her son swam and played with the dolphins.

Overall Opinion.
This resort is well worth vacationing at. You are made to feel comfortable from the time you get there until you leave. Great food, great drinks, friendly staff and lush grounds. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Egidio ROSETO,

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
We are grateful to read your good comments about the resort, it´s good to know that you had a great time with us.

We look forward to host your family again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Best wishes,

NYC
Reviewed March 31, 2006

We were at the Barcelo Tropical from 3/26-3/31 with our 2 kids aged 5 and 10. I read alot of reviews before we chose this hotel and before we left. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort and our first time in Mexico.

As everyone says, the hotel, grounds, pools and beach are beautiful and very well kept.

Check-in - The one glitch was that we had requested a room on the 3rd floor through our travel agent but
when we arrived we were given a room on the first floor right next to the theater and were told that the only other room availabe was pretty far from the pools. Although I was a little apprehensive for security reasons we decided to try the room they gave us. The room was immaculate, large and very comfortable. It turned out that having a first floor room was really good because we could cut across the grass and had easy access to everything.

Many people complained about problems with the front desk but we had none. WE had trouble opening the safe when we arrived and called the front desk. Someone was in our room in 5 minutes to fix it and when I mentioned that we needed 4 towels we got them right away. We did tip the maids every day and the room was always spotless although we did not always have 4 towels. The beds were not too hard.

The big problem was the proximity to the theater. If you want to sleep before 10 pm DO NOT get a room next to the theater. The shows begin around 9:30 and do not end until 11. It is very loud. Despite that my husband and kids had no problems falling asleep but I did. I would not recommend it.

Security - I want to stress that we had NO security problems whatsoever. We put passports and wallets in the safe. Everyone was friendly and tried hard to please. We unpacked everything and left toiletries and stuff out - even money occassionally - and nothing was taken. We left stuff at the pool and beach and nothing was taken. One time we thought our camera had been stolen b/c we couldn't find it. It turned out that it was in the side pocket of our beach bag which we had left by the pool.

Pools and Beach - My children loved the slides and the pools. The pools were a little cool at first but once you got in they were great. People do play the towel game and if you wanted chairs in the shade you had to get out there by 8 am. The beach was rocky in parts but we brought water shoes and it was fine. Also we found parts of the beach that were sandy and fine for the kids.

Food - The food was ok. I am not a fan of buffets but as buffets go they were alright. For lunch we ate at the poolside restaurants. Although the 4 of us always found something to eat, we were all pretty tired of the food at the end. If you want to eat at the a-la-cartes make the reservation as soon as you get there. I did and still could not get a reservation at the Japanese restaurant. Men are not allowed in in jeans or teeshirts so in the end we did not eat at any of the a la cartes. None of us got sick.

Entertainment - So-so. We watched a couple of shows but they were way too late for us and not our taste. Also, I agree with the people who complained that there is nothing for kids to do at night. The shows are too late and not for kids. There are no games or movies or any other activities for children. even the pool tables and ping pong are closed by 6 pm.

We took one trip to the Tulum ruins. We rented a car b/c we did not want to be on anyone else's schedule. We hired a guide which was well worth the money. If you have small kids you should also pay for the trolley b/c it is a half mile walk in very hot sun. Make sure to go as early as possible - hopefully you can get there before the hordes of people arrive. Also it is very hot. There is a beautiful beach right below the ruins so wear your bathing suit. We drove into the town of Tulum and had an excellent lunch at a beachside place called Zamas. It was the best food we had in Mexico.

We were only there for 5 days so we did not get to do as much as we would have liked such as swimming in a cenote or gong to Xel-ha.

We would definitely return to the Riviera Maya but I dont think we will return to the Barcelo. First it is huge - I would like to try a smaller resort. Also, Barcelo is great if you do not want to leave the resort but if you are interested in exploring it is in the middle of nowhere - far from restaurants or other activities.

12 Thank susieny
Dear Nira Weisel,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Front Desk and Fun Club issues to improve them.

Once again thank you for having chose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your recent stay and really hope to have your preference for your next holidays

Reviewed March 31, 2006

My husband and I just returned yesterday. We stayed five days. We really liked it! It was so big, lots to do. I have been to two other all inclusive resorts (in Cancun) and this one was by far the BEST. The food was very good for an all inclusive in Mexico, and the drinks were GREAT! Not watered down at all. (I did miss my Bud Light) Try a Sex on the Beach, if you want to get drunk fast! There were some MINOR disapointments... Such as... We got there at 12:30 pm, and we could not get our room until 3. This unfortunatly is to be expected, so pack what you need the first day in your carry on. We did however go ahead and use the facilities. So we were almost drunk when we did get to our room. Interesting unpacking job! The maid service sucked. We only got our fridge stocked once and the other time we called to have them come up. I think that has to do with if you are still in your room when they come by????? We asked for extra hangers when we first got there, and they never came. I think we called twice. Other than that, it was really nice. I did find that you should take your towels down early, like before 9 to get a decent spot by the pool. That was the Tropical side and it was filled up by 10 or so. ONe other thing that was annoying, people would put their stuff on the chairs and never come back. So half of the chairs were "taken" but no bodies on them... Oh well, beach was great! Plenty of chairs there! We are definitly going back again and this time, taking friends and family with us! We also met some really cool people! Hello to Tom and his crew, Joan and kids, and Mandy and Tara and thier men!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Tara,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Housekeeping issues to improve them.

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations. Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

We hope that you let us the opportunity to accomodate on the future. We can overcome your expectations.

Best Regards,

watertown, Minnesota
Reviewed March 31, 2006

my husband and i ( 34 &39 ) stayed at barcelo tropical march 21- 28. we have stayed at the aventura in the past so we can only compare to that. for the most part we had an excellent time but there were some things that were not that fabulous.
first, the food. buffets were awesome! i'm adventures and my husband is meat and potatoes. we both always found something that we really enjoyed at the buffets. if you like lobster tail, don't miss sea food night! ala carte, well the steak house and italian were really good. the sea food was a little too adventures for me and just to extreme for my husband. i can't eat soup that has a whole craw fish starring at me. the lobster there was not great at all. service was excellent at all the ala cartes. same at the buffets. i'm pretty critical of wait staff ( i used to be one) and i was never dissapointed in the service. at the snack bar, they ran out of brownies and a cook actually went in the back and got a special piece of chocolate cake for me. ASK NICELY and they will go out of their way!
the grounds are immaculate! there is always someone pruning, sweeping, emptying ashtrays, and cleaning whatever. thank god the grounds are huge or i would have gained 20 pounds instead of 10. the pools are nice, but the beach was AMAZING! it goes on forever, was always clean, always had chairs available. absolutely beautiful! you don't need aqua socks but i do reccomend them.
the rooms are nice. bathrooms are big with great water pressure in the shower. if you are picky about hair care products, bring your own but they do supply shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. they always did a great job of cleaning and restocking. came around about 6:00 pm to restock towels every night, too. the view from our 3rd floor balcony was awesome. sun was bright in the morning, but what a way to wake up. coffee, sunshine, and the ocean!
now for the bad. yes, the pool bar service is slow. even after tipping it is still slow. 150 guests to 4 bartenders. it wasn't bad, just be patient. they will add alcohol to your taste, but it always seemed that the frozen drinks were never thick enough. perfect in the lobby bar!
the night life was what was really dissapointing. all the bars close at 11:00pm except for captain morgans, or captain daycare as we called it. it is the only club open until 2:00 for all three resorts. the crowd is young, verry young! there is nothing more disgusting than hanging out at a bar with drunk 14 year olds! there were SO MANY unsupervised, rude, drunk teenagers! i was shocked that they were so bad! ok, your a 18 year old senior and you have a few on spring break, but puking 14 year olds. that to me is gross! i was shocked that so many shaperoning parents would allow their kids to act like idiots! but then when you saw how some of the parents acted, you could understand why. if you are planning on going with your teenagers and you do not want them to drink, do not let them goto the disco because they will serve anyone, any amount.
as for tipping, most of the time we received excellent service. we are not rich, but we are fortunate. the people of mexico work hard to serve the tourist industry and they, for the most, part do it well. a dollar here and there doesn't mean that much to us, but to them it makes a huge impact on their lives. it's also polite. if you receive good service, you should reward them, even though you "don't have to", you still should.
we went on two tours. jungle jim's atv and mayan adventure snorkling. we had a great time! we are pretty adventuras and have atv experience. i thought it would be a little sunday drive, but it was pretty wild! the trails are kindof rough although beginers did ok. we went far! aprox 15 miles. swam in a sinkhole, and stopped at a park to see monkeys and go through a cave. mayan adventures snorkling was awsome! the guide was GREAT, thanks Flavio! swam at three places and had lunch. the underground cave was cold to swim in, but amazing! i was embarrased though that we spent all day with our guide catering to us and some people did not tip him.
over all we had a great time and i would not hesitate to return. just remember, you represent your country and the level of service you receive may depend on the respect you give!

17 Thank joyce66
Dear joyce peterson,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Food & Beverages issues to improve them.

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this holiday o trip o family vacation. We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends,

Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities; we thank you very much for the kind explanation of the Resort,
our goal is complete guest satisfaction.

Warmest Regards,

Ossineke, Michigan
Reviewed March 29, 2006

What a wonderful place! Just returned from the Barcelo Maya Tropical and Colonial Beach (it just opened in Dec. 2005) and we couldn't be more pleased. The accomodations were wonderful, beach was to die for (we snorkled right there, saw octopus, rays, lots of fish) the pools were beautiful, the food fantastic, the staff could not be better. This was the 4th all inclusive we've stayed at in Mexico, and by far the best. If you don't like this motel, you can't be pleased! My husband and I went alone this year, but can't wait to take the rest of the family and friends next year!

18 Thank mexicantravel
Dear Diana Estlack,

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends.
Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again. We are grateful abour your good comments.

We hope to see you soon around the hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Best wishes,

Fruitport, Michigan
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Just returned 3/17-3/24 from the Tropical, as most reviews state, resort and grounds are beautiful. It is a shame that the front desk staff does not reflect the same charm and beauty of the resort. As others have stated, they will lie to you over and over just to get you to think that they are going to resolve your problems. I won't bother you with the details, I will say that you better hope you get a room that you are happy with from day 1, if you have issues with the room and try to get it changed, dream on !!!
Hope you do not have the misfortune of having to deal with Sandy at the front desk, she will do everything possible not to help you.

It is a shame that the management of such a great resort does not address and correct the problems they
have with their front desk staff. This was our second trip to the Barcelo within the last 2 years, based on this recent experience Iam sure we will chose another resort this fall.

Stayed March 2006
11 Thank SLTraveler
Dear Kelly Brown,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Front Desk issues to improve them.

We are so sorry about all of your inconvinience, we hope that you let us make you experience better than the last. Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

We would be honor to host you again in the near future.

Respectfully,

Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!