“Wonderful Place”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Wisconsin Rapids,WI
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

I traveled with my husband and 19 year old daughter. We have absolutely no complaints about the Colonial. Check in went smoothly - we always contact the resort a week before we arrive to make sure we are confirmed. We were greeted with a welcome drink which hit the spot as it was very hot and humid. The grounds were immaculate and the room (Jr Suite) was very clean.

Two of the resorts were closed and our Colonial was maybe 50% full. We could reserve the ala carte restaurants the day we wanted to go. The Japanese (Bali Hai) was our favorite and we ate there twice. The Italian had very good food and we ate there twice. On Wednesday, lobster tails are served on the buffet, so we planned to eat there on that day. I am a picky eater and there was always something I would eat.

The pools were very empty and you did not have a problem getting a lounger by the pool or on the beach. We walked down to the Water Sport area two days and rode the water bikes and sailed the Hobie Cats. One day on the water bike, we saw a large sea turtle, but had no camera with me. The next time I brought my camera and did not see any sea turtles.

Before dinner, we would stop at the lobby bar and have a cocktail. We were upgraded to the gold bands, so we could enjoy the top shelf liquors. We also visited the theatre bar a couple of nights before dinner. The inside lobby bar had nut and olives on the bar and tables for snacks. Also, the lobby bar had coffee, tea and specialty coffees. The lobby bars are what we enjoy before our dinner. The theatre bar had snacks also on the bar. The nightly entertainment was professionally done and the costuming was beautiful.

Our room was a Jr Suite and had a rope hammock on the lanai, which was a popular place most days. We had a desk, couch, coffee table, beds, tv, coffee maker, refrigerator, two shower areas (one with a rain shower head and the other one in the tub). Our bathroom area had large vanity and hair dryer. The toilet was in a separate sliding door area. Our refrigerator was restocked each day, along with peanuts, potato chips and candy bars. Upon arrival, we had a bottle of licorice flavored liquore (D'aristi) in our room, which was manufactured in Mexico. It was delicious and we bought some when we took the collectivo (public transportation) to Playa Del Carmen, which is the way to go into town. We caught it right across the street from the motel entrance.

The business center (internet) was handy, but would have been great if WiFi was available in the rooms. That was the only downfall of this resort.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank balloongirl34
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, May 30, 2016
Dear balloongirl34,

We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence.
Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities; we thank you very much for the kind explanation of the Resort.

Kind Regards,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Polish first
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

I often wonder why I always choise a chain hotel. Because I could have better service, better rooms, better etc. The reason why I always choise a chain hotel is, I know what I am getting. Before I enter the room at Barcelos any place in the world, I know where the bathroom is, how the bathroom is, how the breakfast is. So it is safe and very convient, when I arrive to the hotel late at night very tirred and just what to sleep.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Jean B
Dear jeanbastiste,

Barcelo Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we deeply thank your loyalty to Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, your finest words regarding our resort is always much appreciated.
A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously.
Once again thank you very much, we would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you and your people in the future.

Warmest Regards,

saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

Traveled with my 3 sisters and left our families at home. My sisters had been to the colonial before and that is why we went back. I had never gone anywhere tropical before and honestly it is all I have thought about since. I am booked back in January 2010 with my husband and three teenage children.

It was without a doubt the best week of my life and I am looking forward to sharing this again with my family.
Service, Rooms, Beach,buffet were all 100% fantastic. The only thing that I found less than satisfactory was bartender service ... none of them are very friendly.
I must say that I not sure that I will ever want to go anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank barclove
Dear barclove,

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends,
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments

Warmest Regards,

Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Aug 29th-Sept 2nd. Over all we have a good experiance.First the bad- when you check in you have to sign a card saying you will bring back the pink beach towels when you check out or be billed $20 a piece for them. We left our w/ our other used towels and the maid took them and never returned them. we tried to ask her about them and she didnt speak any english at all so when we went to check out they tried to get us to pay for the towles. got kinda heated and I will be watching my bill to make sure we was not charged. the only other not so good things was that the rooms were freezing cold and you could not turn the air off or up and the beds were like concrete. very hard!! the good- The beach was beautiful. rocky but the water was so clear you could avoid the rocks. the pool was very warm and the bar tender at the pool bar was the best!!!! they had a huge buffett and a snack bar to eat at. They also had 2 speciality restaurants open while we were there. the steak place was VERY good. The itialian was horrible. pretty food but not good. one other thing that was kinda a bad deal to us is were were told we would have the run on the tropical and maya beach and they were closed as was there restaurants and pools/ bars. that was a reason we book this location, had we of been told that we would not have that option we would of chose a different location. That was more the fault of our travel agent for giving us wrong info than the resort. Wedid the Mayan Adventure snorkeling and it was great! the guide was very funny and helpful there was 12 in our group so we got one on one if needed. I highly reccomend that. I think it was $172 for the 2 of and and you get dinner is included. We also took a taxi to Playa Del Carmen- $18 one way. definetly an experiance. I recomend doing that to if you like to shop. I think if everything would of been open we would of had a much better time but over all it was nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wellbaum99
Dear wellbaum99,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Front Desk and Food & Beverages issues to improve them.
Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Respectfully,

minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

I thought I should post this now, when people are beginnig to think about sring break 2010. We stayed at the Barcelo Colonial last April 2009, the week just before Easter. We had been there before, not at spring break time, and loved it. The resort is probably on the best strip of beach in Riviera Maya. SO..we decded to go back with another family and our teenagers last April. I was very disappointed in the trip.
The resort was overrun with high school spring breakers. I expected noise and partying. What I didn't expect were drunken kids passed out at the pools and beach, Kids throwing up in the pool and on the paths, kids doing "beer bongs" in the pools(and spilling all over), and their "chaperone" parents weren't much better. The Barcelo staff didn't seem to care. I think they cater to this clientle.
Last year I recommended this resort to 5 different families that ended up there, I will never recommend the Barcelo to anyone planning to go there over spring break again.
Sorry, love this place anytime other than spring break.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank richardinMN
Dear richardinMN,

The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Gatineau, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

all good - little more sound proof sceiling would of been great - we could hear couples having fun upstairs...if you know what I mean, ask for top floor - not quite what I wanted to hear at 6 am upon my arrival...food : excellent (asian is really fun) - pool : wow! - staff: friendly. beach:nice but a little rocky. equipment retals: ok - I would recomend you bring your snorkeling gear - as much vacationners do...nightlife - most of the evening shows are really good - especially the préhispanica - it is really a professional show. to shop go to playa del carmen or bring money when visiting chechinitza - lot cheaper. Take the colectivo to travel to playa del carmen (around 4$ us per person to go and back). If you want to visit Tulum - take the colectivo and bring your bathingsuit - the beach is breathtaking! overall nice stay!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank globetroteuse_8
Dear globetroteuse_8,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this holiday o trip o family vacation
We look forward to host you.
Best wishes,

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

My husband and I booked a trip to Barcelo Maya Beach/Caribe for our 5 year wedding anniversary because that is where we stayed for our honeymoon 5 years ago and we liked it. We got a free upgrade to the colonial/tropical instead because the beach/caribe is closed. IT WAS AMAZING!!!!! I want to go back, and if I ever go back to Mexico again, which I am sure I will, it will be most likely here.
CHECK IN: Was a breeze, no complaints whatsoever. The ride from the airport did feel like an eternity, probably because we were starving, but once we got there the yummy lunch/snack palapa made our day. It probably took an hour. You can't get into your room until 3:00, but they have bathrooms you can change in and head right to the beach or pool.
THE POOL: Massive. Beautiful. Perfect. There are 2 pools, each is pretty much the same. Bridges overtop, fountains spewing water, built in jacuzzis. My perfect dream pool. When I book a place, I am someone who wants an awesome pool, and I got it. It is not refreshing though, the water in the pool is actually to warm in my opinion...I found the ocean more refreshing by far and I am not really an ocean person. By the last day we were there, the pool water also looked very cloudy and gross. It didn't stop me from going in but I did wonder why it looked like that...There are huts with hammocks everywhere, loungers everywhere, and you can view the pool or beach. It is just awesome. Also, they have a really really cool waterpark area for the kids...my husband and I actually wanted to do the waterslides ourselves, but the water is so shallow both of us were in pain after going down the slides and landing hard. But we have a 2 year old daughter (who did not come) and if we ever go back to Mexico, I would go back to Barcelo in a heartbeat because it is amazing for kids and adults. If you are looking for an adults only place though, don't pick Barcelo...at almost every meal there were whiny kids around us. My main complaint with that is inconsiderate parents who drag their poor little kids all over, in the heat, and expect them to sit in a stroller still while the adults gab and eat. Another plus is they keep the pool open late which we loved.
BEACH: Gorgeous. Huge. I am not a beach person and I am super scared of sharks, eels, stingrays, jellyfish, you name it. But the water is so clear and beautiful that even I wanted to go in the ocean daily, and I did and enjoyed it. Yes, there are rocky areas, but it adds to the beauty in my opinion. It is a few miles long of beach, you can absolutely find totally rock free areas. Walk down to your right to the Barcelo Maya/Caribe. The beach there is the best and least rocky. We also snorkeled off the pier and I saw a giant stingray, pretty fish, and coral. The beach in front of the Palace is the worst beach but even that was pretty and fine with us. Plenty of palm trees to seek shade under too. We bounced back and forth alot from pool to beach. There are some topless women (most of them certainly should not be topless - yikes). We walked up the whole beach every day and loved it.
ROOMS: I really laugh at the fact that people think the walk is so long from the rooms to the pool and beach. Seriously?!!! Maybe for those who need to get the exercise, but we are active people and it was nothing at all for us. It took like 2 or 3 pleasant minutes. Our room was small and basic, but the air conditioning worked, the Tv worked, the minifridge was stocked, and they did towel art. We never needed anything. Water was always warm, we were comfortable. There was also a futon type couch in there which would suit 2 more people if needed.
FOOD: We loved it. There is something for everyone. The different kinds of fish they had every day we loved, we enjoyed the quesadillas and every day we ate chips with guacamole! Yum!!!! They also have little stations for the kids. Breakfast was amazing, everything was. If I had to name a negative I would say that the desserts are kind of weird. Little tart things with odd flavors, nothing really hit the spot there, but we were so stuffed from all the dinner food who cares? We loved the buffets so much that we didn't even use our restaurant coupon. We aren't drinkers but the drinks we got were good. My favorites were the Banana Republic drink and the 69 shot.
SHOWS: The night shows were entertaining and good enough. They made you laugh sometimes, and the dancers are really great and work so hard. They are in amazing shape and go out there night after night to give a good show.
WEATHER: We went July 19-22 and didn't have a drop of rain even though its the "rainy/hurricane season". 2 years ago we went to Riviera Maya as well, and the day after we got there hurricane Emily struck so we were very very nervous after going through 6 days trapped in a hurricane beaten resort with no Air conditioning, no locking doors, no amenities, etc...but we lucked out. Each afternoon around 5 it would look like a storm was coming but it just passed over!!
WATERSPORTS/GYM: We are avid worker-outers and we enjoyed the gym. They have an air conditioned enclosed cardio room and it is attached to an outdoor covered weight area (so bring your bug spray). Although, I sprayed myself with repellent every time I went out and never had a problem. We did the waterbikes and ocean kayaking which are free. We wanted to Jet ski but only had a discover card and they don't take that so take a Visa credit card to Mexico!!!! It was $60 per half hour. We were so bummed we couldn't do it.
COMPARED TO OTHER RESORTS: This was my 4th time in Riviera Maya in the last 10 years. I have stayed at Aventura Spa Palace, Copacabana (which is now called Catalonia Royal Tulum) and Barcelo Twice. I by far pick Barcelo because it offers so much. We asked the van driver from our Apple bus what resort he thinks is the best because he sees them all daily, he said Bahia Principe Tulum. So maybe we will try that next...but its a far ride from the airport. Also, the Barcelo Palace which is right next to Barcelo Colonial/Tropical is beautiful. We went on a run and ran through it and its gorgeous. More stuff for the kids too. But I would rather spend less and stay where we did.
WHAT WE SPENT: We went through Apple Vacations after I did A LOT of researching on the best price, and we spent 1,075 total on the trip for 3 nights 4 days, and then we chose to spend $200 more for trip insurance based on the fact that last time we went to Mexico, we had one day, and then the hurricane came, that was a 7 night trip, and we didnt have insurance and we basically lost almost 2,000 dollars. Still makes me sick. GET INSURANCE!!!! We did bring dollar bills to tip. Not many people were tipping though.
ALSO: they have a great little shopping plaza attached to the front of Barcelo that makes you feel like you are in Playa Del Carmen shopping, cute touch.
I think that about covers it. If you are on the fence, don't be. Just go to Barcelo, it is beautiful, huge, well cared for, clean, and the people work so hard there. I can't wait to return!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank seasnpalmtrees
Dear seasnpalmtrees,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.
Once again thank you for having chose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your recent stay and really hope to have your preference for your next holidays

Best wishes,

Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#75 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,058 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!