“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Boston, MA
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I and another couple just returned from a 1-week stay. We all had a great time. We arrived at 3 PM on Saturday 3/28, and check-in was easy and our rooms were ready for us. I found the staff in the lobby (front desk and guest services) to be somewhat less than friendly. The rooms were pretty standard. Although our 2nd floor room needed some minor cosmetic work, overall the room was clean and spacious enough with a nice balcony. I would not recommend staying in a 1st floor room as anyone (or anything) can walk right up to your patio. We stayed in the Veracruz building which was conveniently located near the pool and beach. We brought our own travel mugs which the bartenders were happy to fill. We regularly tipped the bartenders and they were happy to accommodate any of our requests. We did have to reserve our lounge chairs by the pool early as they tend to get taken quickly. The beach is HUGE and there was no problem finding available lounge chairs there.
ACTIVITIES: We play a lot of tennis and brought our own equipment with us, including balls. I'm not sure if the resort sells new tennis balls, so we were happy we brought our own instead of playing with the dead used balls they were giving to people who also rented racquets. We were initially told that we did not have to reserve courts, but on our 3rd day, we were kicked off the court by folks who had made a reservation.
If you want to parasail, sieze the 1st opportunity you get. We decided to put if off for a day or 2 and missed our opportunity because it was so windy the boats never went out again during our stay.
ENTERTAINMENT: The nightly shows were somewhat amatuerish but entertaining nonetheless. I wish there had been more options in the evening as far as entertainment goes. We never made it to the disco because it didn't open until 11 PM and after a day in the sun, we were too tired.
FOOD: Overall, we were very pleased with the food. The variety at the breakfast buffet was awesome although the table service for beverages was slow. Same with the dinner buffet...great variety, slow table service. The snack bar by the pool was great for an easy lunch. The steak house was disappointing...very slow service and my filet mignon was still wiggling although I had asked for it to be cooked "medium". The seafood restaurant was great, and as New Englanders we have high standards for seafood. The grilled lobster was delicious as was the grouper, and the service was outstanding. Another favorite was the Japanese restaurant....entertaining and the food was great. Our traveling buddies also tried the Mexican restaurant and loved it. Generally speaking, the cocktail waitresses in the various lobby bars were very slow and we usually ended up getting our own drinks at the bar.
On our last day, a large group of college kids descended on the resort and proceeded to be rude and obnoxious in the pool area, getting falling-down drunk. After 1 day watching them make fools of themselves, we were ready to leave. Although we all enjoyed our stay, the complex is very big and lacks sufficient signage. I would consider returning for another vacation, but I would also investigate a different "adults only" resort.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
6 Thank L0ve2Travel26
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, May 26, 2016
Dear L0ve2Travel26,

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Polish first
Alberta,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

We returned to the Tropical for our honeymoon March 27 to April 3 after our wedding at the same resort in January. We had such a great time the first time that we decided to return. We had a good trip but were a bit dissapointed with a few things.
First the good:
1. Beautiful resort that has well manicured and clean grounds.
2. Nice, long walking beach that is not shared with other resorts.
3. Friendly, smiling staff.
4. A variety of shopping and spa services available at the resort.

And why we probably wouldn't go back:
1. Not a very romantic place for couples, caters more to families and groups.
2. Hard to find a quiet place by the pool. All the loungers "reserved" by 10.
3. Too crowded.
4. For the price we paid, we could have stayed at a higher rated, smaller, all-adults resort.
5. We were never given any honeymoon upgrades even after getting married there.
6. The service at the buffets was not very good.

If you have the choice of when to go, I would avoid the peak times. This is a huge resort that can hold a lot of people. It can get really, really busy and more difficult for the staff to keep up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foxcreeker49
Dear foxcreeker49,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.
Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.
Respectfully,

Calgary, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We made our choice of this property by recommendations by two of our friends and this site. We have two children ages 8 and 10. Our stay in this property was from March 22-29th, 2009. When we arrived at the hotel we were very impressed by the beautiful gardens and the lobby. We arrived around 5:30pm and took our luggage to our room and then went for dinner. We had the buffet and found a good selection of diiferent foods. I found the food to be very bland with not alot of flavour. After looking at the pool area and walking around we went back to the room to get the kids to bed. My husband leaned back on the bedspread into a wad of dried gum. I called down to the front desk and asked them if they could bring up a clean one. That was around 8:00pm. I got a bigger surprise when I turned down the beds and found blood splatter on the sheets of one bed and "body fluids" of some sort in the other bed. These beds had definitley not been cleaned. I called back to the front desk now requesting fresh sheets as well and was told the same thing that someone would be right up. After waiting till 9:30pm I finally phoned down and requested a manager to come to our room. Our kids had been up since 6:00am and were totally exhausted. A manager finally came to our room and was VERY mad at us about our complaint. She tried to argue with me that the fluid on the sheet was not blood. Being a nurse I know what blood looks like. We were on the main floor and had tons of little black flies in our room. We requested a different room for the following day and they upgraded us to a suite. We were hoping with the previous night complaint that the rest of the trip would be problem free. Even after tipping the maid very well on the first day we still had daily problems with our mini fridge not being stocked, lack of towels, and running out of toilet paper and soap. Most five star properties I've stayed at never have ongoing issues like this.

The beach is very nice if you can use it. We were only able to sit out there 1 out of 7 days due to high winds and water warnings( red flag). The winds were so bad one day that it removed the sand on the beach right down to the rock and landed in the pool. The lounge chairs were covered in sand and never washed down. It was very hard to find a chair that wasn't broken or covered in bird crap. The pool was nice but you needed to be down to the pool by 7:00am for a chair.

The food at the restaurants were much better than the buffet. I would highly recommend the Steak House. It was great! The service at the buffet was horrible! We sat with plates stacked at our table for our whole meal while we ate dessert. We often got up and served our own water and drinks as it seemed they were extremley short staffed and would offer at the end of our meal. The drinks were very weak as I had many tropical drinks and the only buzz I got was a sugar one.

We did a couple of excursions with our tour company (Conquest Holidays) and were well done especially with kids. As the previous writer wrote they want you at the airport 4 hours prior to the flight. This is such a waste of your last day. We did what was asked for our transfers only to be forgotten on our departure day. We waited at the lobby for over 1.5 hours and was told by our tour company that the shuttle was on his way. After confronting him for the last time he finally told us the truth that the driver went to the wrong lobby and he wasn't coming back for us. In a panic of missing our flight we were told that we would have to take a cab and it cost us $70US out of our pockets. I gave the tour operator an option to either pay for the cab ride or four return tickets back to Canada if we miss our flight. Weighing the ods he choose the cab fare.

I have never left comments about a trip before and I have travelled all over the world. I hope the hotel will read my comment card and respond to me or at least fix the problems. We met alot of people at our hotel that had the same complaints as us. Alot of people don't take the time to comment about their trip but just won't bother coming back. Word of mouth is your best advertising and it's not good if it's negative.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank petegre
Dear petegre,

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends, we are sorry about the inconvinience.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

My husband and I took our two teenagers (17 & 14) to the Barcelo Colonial and Tropical for Spring Break for 6 days in March, 2009. We have stayed at many nice all-inclusive resorts in the Riviera Maya area, as well as Puerto Vallarta (at least 5). The resort itself is pretty -- great grounds and for a 5* property, the rooms were very nice. The best part of them is the large, private balcony. The rooms had comfy beds and nice sized bathrooms. Our only complaint of the rooms were that they were very noisy, due to the loud hallways. You could hear doors slamming all night long.

Our biggest complaint about this resort is that the service was very inconsistent, the drinks were horrible (made with the cheapest alcohol and barely any) and the dinner buffet was miserable. You would take a couple sips of your drink and it would be gone, as they served all the drinks in small plastic tumblers out by the pool! In fact, many people brought down their own insulated drink cups, which were large. This is soooo tacky!! If you wanted better alcohol, and we are talking just Jose Cuervo here, or even a Bailey's, you would have to pay more money. The wine for the buffet also came out of a spiggot -- and if you wanted a better bottle (like Kendall Jackson??) you would have to fork over another $10-$15!

Many of the waiters/bartenders spoke poor English. We found out that the Barcelo chain is known for working their employees for 12 hours a day, but paying them for only 8 hours a day. So, they have high turnover and it is a training ground for many Mexican people.

There is no wait staff at the pool, and the pool and pool areas were very dirty. The nightly shows were very repetitive from what we have seen in the past.

We did enjoy the Seafood Restaurant, Italian Restaurant and Steak House. Also, we thought the gym was pretty nice for an all inclusive.

When we returned from our trip, we noticed that Apple has downgraded this resort from a 5 Gold to a 5 Red. We can see why now. We would rather spend more money and stay in a 6 star all inclusive, so that the drinks and food would be better.

1 Thank carlieg
Dear carlieg,
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

My girlfriend and I have been to the riviera maya before, and chose this hotel because it was supposed to be a bit of an upgrade. We had previously stayed at the Sandos Caracol resort. I'd rate them both the same. Barcelo was very nice. Tons of space. If you don't like walking, don't stay here. The staff was generally very nice and helpful. We did come across one employee who actually made fun of us for leaving a small tip. He spoke in spanish thinking we wouldn't know what he said, but our spanish is quite good. This was a real blemish on an otherwise great trip. The pools are great, and the lobby bar at Tropical is way better than the rest. The lobby bar at the Palace is enclosed in glass, and generally very cold. The restaurants have great food, but menus are a bit limited. Beaches are very nice, few rocks except in front of the Palace. Overall, a great resort. If you go, say hi to Deysi in the Tropical lobby bar. She works until 12pm most nights. She is a real treat. Very nice young woman.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear pawnit2002,

The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

My 9 year old daughter and I just came back from our second trip to the Barcelo Maya (Colonial/Tropical) last night. Unfortunately, my husband could not join us this time due to health reasons. In our last trip (June 2007,) we stayed at Barcelo Maya Colonial (we have a review posted in My Tripadvisor if anyone is interested in reading more in detail about the Colonial). This trip, we stayed at the Tropical. The Colonial and Tropical are basically the same resort. Tropical finished building first so it is slightly older than Colonial but I think within a year or so. So, they are really identical except for the color scheme.

We usually avoid buying a vacation package because it sometimes limits our flexibility with changing the plan. But since my daughter and I decided to go some place warm and sunny 3 weeks before Spring Break, the only decent deal we could find was to go through NWA World Vacations (AKA "WorryFree Vacation) to purchase the air and hotel package. I decided to come back to Barcelo Maya because my husband could not join us this time and I wanted a resort that was familiar to me. My first choice in Riviera Maya area would have been the Iberostar Paraiso Maya complex but, that was sold out. We also did the package deal since they arrange the transportation to the hotel. We did pay extra for non-stop ride to the hotel since I knew it was about an hour away from Cancun airport....if they had to make stops, out ride could have been anywhere form 1.5 hours to 2 hours. The day we were leaving the resort, I saw a couple who was in panic and asking the front desk to call taxi to take them to the airport. I overheard that they made a ride reservation back to the airport via internet but their ride never showed up at the Barcelo......I felt so glad that I did the package deal this time...... One thing that we dislike about package transportation deals, however, is that they always ask you to come to their hospitality desk the next day of your arrival to arrange the return transportation. This is actually their way to lure you into a sales pitch for excursions. They even call you next morning at 8:30am to remind you to come to the desk to arrange the transportation back to the airport, which is annoying. We did not answer the phone because we knew exactly who it was. We did show up at the desk during the time they asked us to come. We gave our departure information and then they tried to give us a sales pitch for the excursion. We simply told them that we had been in Cancun and Riviera Maya so many times that we had done all the excursion and were not interested in going anywhere this time (which was true!). She stopped the hard sell but she repeatedly told us that if we decided to go on an excursion, make sure we came to her.

Front desk:
Smooth check in overall, but the girl who checked us in seemed to be indifferent. We got there about 5pm and the room was ready. I asked the girl at the desk about the "Premium package" which is new (we did not have this option last time we were there). She could not answer my question which was little frustrating. Her excuse was that she just started working at Barcelo 2 months ago so she did not know much about it. Mmmmmmm. Anyway, she also gave us 5 meal coupons to the specialty restaurants and we made reservations before we even went to the room. We were lucky enough to make a reservation to 5 different restaurants anytime between 6pm-7pm.

Room:
We requested a room on the higher floor, close to the beach and away from the theater. We were assigned to room #7319, in the Yucatan Bldg, 3rd floor (top floor) and close to the beach. It was next to the theater but since we were not facing the theater, we did not hear any loud noise if we closed our room door. So, overall, I was very happy with the room location. Unfortunately, we did not have any ocean view from our room but since we were in the room to sleep and shower, it did not matter this time. When we were at the Barcelo last time, we stayed at Master Suite which was away from the main hall way, we really did not have any noise from the people walking & talking in the hall way. This time, since we were in one of those deluxe rooms along the main hall way, we did notice some noises from the hall way. Especially this time, there were sooooo many drunken high school kids (senior trips) screaming late at night which scared and woke my daughter and myself in the middle of night (even though we went to bed at 11pm). For the room cleanliness, etc......our shower area was not cleaned well everyday. Tables and night stands did NOT get wiped since we checked in. As a matter of fact they were dirty from the day we stepped into the room........tips and notes (in Spanish) did NOT help the maid to correct those issues. Also, our bath robes were missing and toilet water was constantly running and sink had a very slow draining. I requested the guest service desk and maid to correct them. Toilet water and slow drain never got fixed but robes were provided by the third day since we personally confronted the maid and nicely asked her. We just kept our bathroom door shut when we went to sleep so we did not have to hear the water running. Anyway, we tried not to let them bother us since we were on vacation! Mini bar got stocked up daily and it was nice. We usually do not drink any beer or pops so we needed a lot of water. You get 3 bottles of 1 Liter water in the room. We figured out to bring a bottle at the pool or beach and if we need more, we would go to the pool side bar for more and it worked out very well for us. Anyway, we could really not complain about the room since the bed was made, enough towels in the bathroom, good water pressure in the shower and no bed mites or ants or mosquitos or any other pesty creatures in the room..... Oh, yes, we did have a usual welcome fruits basket and a bottle of tequila in the room.

Ground:
Beautiful just like last time........I did not see any overflown garbage cans or any eye sore stuff.....

Restaurants:
We tried Japanese, Thai, Seafood, Italian and Steak house. We showed up at each restaurant on time and we were always seated within 5 minutes. During the wait, we ordered a drink at the bar and by the time we had our drink served, we were escorted to the table. Very smooth transition. Service at the Japanese restaurant went downhill compared to our last trip. And, sushi quality was pretty bad.....still the teppan yaki show was very good and entertaining. I had Surf and Turf (steak and lobster) and my daughter had rib eyes. My daughter's dish was better, to be honest. Thai food was very mediocre but the service was the BEST. If you eat at Thai, order Phad Thai. At the seafood restaurant, I had lobster in cream sauce. It was OK, and not bad. I prefer grilled - which was an option but I wanted to try something new. My daughter had a shrimp dish and it was wonderful. At the Italian restaurant, I ordered veal and my daughter had a steak (strips of beef, they call). Again, my daughter's dish was tastier but my dish was not too bad. At the steak house, we ordered shared appetizer and mixed grills (they are recommended by the chef). They were pretty good - they give you a ton of food.
Breakfast at the buffet has a plenty of choice. I really liked the fact that they have a fresh juice bar. I like the variety of fruits they had and they were all soooo tasty. As for the evening buffet - we had one night with grilled lobsters........of course all you can eat. It was very good and I don't have to have lobsters for a while :) Again, they had good variety of food in my opinion. Lunch buffet was OK and to be honest with you, I only ate few lunches during the stay. I thought there seemed to be something for everyone. Overall, I think food is very decent for an all-inclusive resort.
For the drinks, it depends on who makes what but I thought cocktails seemed to be on a weak side so, if you want to get some buzz, stick with champagne and wine - although if you are wine snobs, their house wine seems to taste pretty bad.....I could not stand their white wine.

Activities:
I enjoyed the stretching on the beach at 10am and water aerobics at noon in the pool everyday. They have some other fun activities and animation (entertainment) staff were a fun bunch - thought they were better then last time.

Pool and Beach:
Pool is always clean and it was not too warm like last time - just perfect. Lounge chairs would be completely gone by 8:30ish in the morning with all these reserve signs (beach towels, magazines, shoes, etc.) So, get there early if you were to stay at this resort during the high season. We did not have any problem with getting lounge chairs when we went there last time. Beach was also nice but remember, the beach in front of Colonial an Tropical is quite rocky on the bottom of the ocean so if you don't have aqua socks, you could injure your feet. You could buy them at the resort for about $15-20 a pair. You could probably buy them at the Target much cheaper......I had them with me but since I did not want to bother using them every time I went into the ocean, my daughter and I walked to the Caribe and Beach complex (the older resorts) which does not have rocky bottom at all. Weather was pretty windy during our stay there so the ocean was choppy but we had a great fun riding those wild waves...........I did NOT see any life guard on duty at the beach so take your own risk. We enjoyed doing pottery by the activity center again this year and it was a very popular activity at the resort. The guy at the pottery center remembered us from 2007 and we were tickled by that since he had met thousands of guests everyday in last 2 years.......
There are NO waiters or waitresses going around the pool side and at the beach like other resorts to get your drink to you while you are lounging by the pool or beach. I did enjoy that when I stayed at other all-inclusive resorts such as RIU Palace, Iberostar, Grand Velas, Moon Palace.......At Barcelo, you are on your own to serve you drinks.

Kids club:
Barcy Club seemed to be much improved since we were there last time. I felt very secure and safe leaving my daughter. However, the person in charge and the rest of the staff had some language difficulty (yes, we should learn Spanish.....), my daughter got very confused messages sometimes which turned her (and me) off to being there. So she stopped going after a few days but as for the safety leaving the child there and quality of activities were much better than last time.

Night time entertainment:
Nightly shows were hit and miss......this is all the same for all inclusive resorts and also cruises. Some shows were nice and some were bad (boring). We enjoyed "Broadway Show" and "Cabaret". Singers for those shows were amazing. There is also a mall called "Plaza Mexicana" on this resort. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, they have some activities starting at 6:30pm - I did not remember having them last time. We went there one night to see the activities and it was fun. They were doing face painting and pinata for kids and also some Mexican gifts (a lot of them) give away by drawing. I bought few gifts at the mall but they were VERY overpriced. So, if you could go out the resort, buy Mexican gifts somewhere else.

Overall, my daughter and I had a nice Spring Break vacation. We don't know if we want to come back to Barcelo at Riviera Maya during spring break for a while since this resort seems to be very popular among high school seniors for their senior trips. My daughter and I saw and heard enough not so nice things from druken high school seniors day and night. This was not the fault of the resort so we can not discredit the resort for this - Barcelo Maya is still a very nice place to stay if you could avoid Spring Break time to avoid some misbehaving high school children.

Oh, one more thing...... When we were arranging the transportation back to the airport with the vacation company representative there, we were told that we needed to depart the resort 4.5 hours prior to our departure time at the Cancun airport. Our flight was 11:35am so we were asked to be at the lobby by 7:05am. We wined about this since we were flying first class so we would not be standing in the long line at the airport to check-in, AND we had non-stop transportation to the airport. The representative told me that it did not matter whether you fly first class or economy or direct transportation that we had to leave 4.5 hours before the departure time. She told us that there's some politics going on about this with the airport and tour companies but it did NOT make sense to me at all. On the departure date, our ride came 15 minutes late, but we were at the airport well before 8:30am. We checked in right away which only took 10 minutes at the most. Our flight was delayed by an hour (our flight left about 12:30pm) so we really had to KILL our time for a LONG TIME. I think if you arrange your own transportation, and can check-in on the internet 24 hours before your flight departure time, you could leave 3 hours before your departure time from Barcelo Maya.

So, that's about it for this trip. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

7 Thank drpdd
Dear drpdd,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this holiday o trip o family vacation

Northern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We stayed all-inclusive from May 20 - 27, mostly great resort. The grounds are impeccably maintained, the common areas terrific, beach was good (windy most days but great fun to play in the surf, not so good for snorkeling though). We did find the buffet a little (maybe a lot) boring as it is repetitive, bland and definitely not geared to vegetarians. The a la carte restaurants were very good however. Our main complaint was the maid service, very poor (I need my coffee in the morning and no matter how I tried, I couldn't get her to remember to restock the coffee or the water half the time, and no - tips didn't work). Sometimes the room didn't appear to be cleaned, towels were not replaced, etc. etc.
The nightly theatre was a hoot - we really enjoyed the dancers and costumes and their enthusiasm. The cultural tours were good, eco tours good.
Things I wished I knew before the vacation - bring biodegradeable sunscreen, book half day tours instead of full day tours, bring beach sox as the coral can be hard on feet in the water, bring own snorkling gear and flippers, bring lots of sun coverups, bring dressy wear (cocktail dresses minimum) for the a la carte restaurants
All in all, yes definitely would return but might pick a better weather month.

• Stayed March 2009

#9 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 stars 6,950 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 stars 3,777 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!