“gosh it's hot!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ontario, Canada
“gosh it's hot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

we found the last minute deal online at air canada vacations and we thought we'd give it a try. we are pleased with the deal and this resort. It was a bit far from the airport but with the pre-arranged transportation from the airport the trip was bearable.

The good:
- it's 4 resorts in 1 while there were lots of people, you rarely bumped into anyone because it's just THAT big
- there were lots of beachfronts to choose from because of the 4 resorts combined (we heard from other people from other resorts that Barcelo's beaches were so much better than the other resorts)
- LOTS of beach loungers AND LOTS of Palm trees so there's plenty of shade
- lots of activities in the resort like dolphinaris, water sports (motorized & non-motorized), market place with hotel shops and some local vendors
- well appointed rooms
- mojitos that are super addictive!
- if the humidity gets to you, they offer a free ride to the key areas in the resort (it's a tractor drawn trolley that could get really hot because some portion of the trolley is covered by plexiglass)
- several pools a few of them have bars
- nightly entertainment makes it interesting (if the "fiesta mexicana" show is playing, it's worth seeing because they show the impressive traditional Mexican cultural dances and songs from coast to coast --- it's great to know more about the cultural history of the place you're visiting)

the not-so-good (I'm not calling these bad because they're really small annoyances than really bad, those who keep complaining shouldn't be on vacation!)
- size of the resort = LOTS of walking in the humidity!
- buffet selection can get pretty boring
- food is all about the quantity rather than quality (but still passable if you know how to pick the food)
- distance to the airport
- one of the nightly shows, "on da radio" was terrible! dancers weren't in-synch, choreography was odd (it had nothing to do with the songs), singers could carry a tune but they need to enunciate more because we didn't know if they were singing the English songs in Spanish which took away from the popular tunes
- while it's all-inclusive, we still found ourselves tipping the servers because some of them said that they really don't get that much (wish they setup the tipping similar to a cruise ship where they charge you a flat deeper day so you really don't have to worry about it)

Room Tip: - If you want to stay away from the kids, ask to be in the Veracruz or Yucatan buildings - If you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bazingga_08
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear bazingga_08,
We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend your holidays. We have read your opinion and really appreciate the valuable time you have taken to share your comments which are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Therefore you can be sure we will work on the not-so-goods that you mentioned.
Once again thank you very much, we would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you in the future.
Best Regards,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Picked up at airport by a super nice drive. About a one hour trip straight to the property with two other couples. We stayed at Tropical side as requested.
Upon arrival I made the mistake of getting behind a 2 person wedding party to check in. Even with my error we were able to be at the pool with a drink one hour from arrival. Rooms were fabulous and we asked for and received a cushion to make the bed softer; to which I credit Trip Advisor reviews. Also brought my own favorite comfy pillows.
Pool Service awesome, loved buffet ever day and our morning walks along the beach path.
Kids had a fabulous time body surfing and snorkeling off the dock. (9 and 11)
There is no rip tide to worry about and the water is very shallow, but pack your own snorkels and pool toys they can be used in the pool.
The employees were very nice at the restaurants and we only ate at Kiyoto with another couple. Very good meal.
Visited the Discoteque late one night and it was ok, but definitely for the young crowd.
This time after 3 days with no outside contact I broke down and paid 50 a day extra for Premium. Essentially good booze, WIFI in room and lobbies which came in handy and the clever Premium rooms which were nice.
We hit the the Theatre almost every night and enjoyed the shows.
Rough spot: Room service was not sharp. Left a note in Spanish requesting beer be refilled, but ignored and for some reason no hand towels were replaced until we made a phone call.
Even with kids the Barceló makes it easy and relaxing so forget a trip to Destin (too much work).
Took a day trip to Playa Del Carmen which was fun as was Explor.
Thanks again Barceló and Special Shout out to Guest Services Agent Claudia; so sweet. Moieses in Tropical buffet was a great server as was Efrain and too many others to mention.
Remember you are in Mexico learn some Spanish and have fun it is appreciated. Tipping a little goes a long way.
If you enjoy a cigar go to Havana Cigar Company in PDC and see Michelle she is so cool. This is for a legit Cuban cigar. Street vendors and even hotels have phony's.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank dennis c
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Denis C,
We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the hotel. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Once again thank you very much, we would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you and your family in the future.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We just got back from our 9 nights stay. Westjet is super good and we arrived in hotel as planned around 3: 30pm via USA Transfer(They are really good company with great service). The bad experience started from check-in, I was told by the front desk girl that my two rooms are in Colonial, not Tropical. I asked why, she is like well, all rooms in Tropical were sold out, and they didn't get my room information in time. I am like then whomelse get those Tropical rooms if I could not get them, my booking was done 8 month ago! She is like, umm, inside their system, Colonial is treated the same way as Tropical. I was standing there for an hour until eventually a supervisor showed up and she gave me two adjoining room in Tropical side. I am not sure how could this happen like that, does that because I booked via expedia, or because of my Asian name, so they put us anywhere they want to? It is still a puzzle to me, and I don't wanna recall this part too much since it really ruined my good mood of vocation.
For the 9 days stay, overall it is great. We do enjoy the beautiful beach, swimming pool, dock with snorkelling and the food/drink there. Kyoto restaurant is excellent. Buffet has so much varieties. Compared to the cruise trip we experienced, service is not that great. The night show is great and I can tell that the singers/dancers are trying really hard to entertain. We took Collectico serveral times to visit Akumal, Tulum, Xplor and Playa De Carmen. It was quick, safe and cheap. One thing to add, the TV in the room is still the old style one with bad image quality, that is a disappointment. But it does have lots of good channels.

Room Tip: Front desk has good rate for Peso exchange from CAD. Call hotel to confirm your booking and you don...
2 Thank Cocolele
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, we apologize for the misunderstanding on your check in time, it is important to clarify your last name does not determine which hotel you receive.
We also want you to know that Barceló Maya Colonial and Barceló Maya Tropical belong to the same categories and share as the restaurants, the pools, the a la carte restaurants and the theater.
We gladly announce you we have change our old TV’s from the rooms, now we have flat screen TV’s.
Thank you very much for your comments, we hope to see you soon,

Warm Regards
Lapeer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Fabulous Resort with friendly staff and luxury service. Every need was addressed upon arrival and throughout our entire stay. The grounds were beautiful and tropical throughout the entire resort. We brought our two children and they were enjoyed the ocean and all the activities the resort had to offer.

1 Thank Kim M
Dear Kim M,
Let us start by thanking you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and your kind evaluation of our Service, Staff, Facilities and Cleanliness.
We really appreciate your kind recommendation to all your friends and hoper to host you again in the future.
Best Regards
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

What can I say, laying in my backyard with a plastic cup of ice tea as my girls splash in the sprinkler just doesn't quite re-enact the glorious week I spent at the Barcelo Maya Tropical! While I'm glad to be home, I'll happily re-live some of it just for my review :)
Traveled with my Mom (June 28-July 5th) on a much needed girls trip (hey, the kids and hubby were with me when we went for Christmas). Who new that this is such an extremely busy week? Apparently I wasn't the only parent celebrating the end homework and lunch packing and spending Canada Day not actually in Canada!
This is my third time to the Mayan Riviera and both other times were spent at the Grand Bahia. We had such glorious trips there that I was nervous to try something new, but this hotel absolutely may become my new "it place"!
A bit shorter transfer time was so nice (due to proximity as well as being in a small van versus those massive "stop every 5 minute" buses) Checkin was actually one of the only downfalls in this trip. It was a lengthy wait and the staff at the front desk were helpful but quite robotic in their speech and not very warm and welcoming....then again, I'm Canadian, I just like to hug everyone....and then say "sorry" for even writing something negative....
Firstly, the layout of this hotel is absolutely perfect and so simple to navigate (unless you are my Mother). Within minutes we could be indulging in the food, sipping a mojito poolside or snorkeling with the fish. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, tons of flora and fauna and I loved the water features with seating everywhere. A great feature for those who don't care for quite as much heat and sun is the covered walkways connecting rooms to lobby, theatre, buffets, etc. Keep in mind that this is a massive complex made up of 5 sections. We had everything we needed (and more) in just the Tropical section and so felt no need to leave at all.

THE ROOMS: For once a hotel actually took note of our room requests and we were on the 2nd floor away from the theatre (a lesson learned on a previous trip. If you are an early to bed/early to rise type person or have small kids, ask to NOT face the theatre) We stayed in the Veracruz building and it was perfect. Personally I am glad we didn't shell out the extra for "Ocean front" as we were only a 30 second walk behind these rooms.
***Oceanfront is actually not on the beach and rooms have limited views. The pool is actually between the rooms and the beach.
The room itself was kept extremely clean by hard working staff. Plenty of water that was restocked daily, and a Mexican hotel that actually has Corona in the fridge! I'll agree with another reviewer that the A/C works almost too well and sometimes walking into the room felt like one of those "run from the hottub and dive into the snow" type moments. Many times we simply turned it off for the day and it stayed very nice. The balcony was extremely private and had this genius little clothesline that unfolds from the wall. It's nice that the safe is free and you choose your own code for the week rather than carrying a key. Ours wasn't working when we arrived, but was fixed the next day. We also had excellent wifi service in the room.
***Downfall of the hotel is that it also cost me $50 for the wifi, nowadays this is something hotels should provide guests for free, even if just in the lobby. Those who upgraded received it for free...however they also paid a much higher cost to do so.
****The beds ARE firm, but, as I learned from another review, there is a mattress topper between the mattresses and it worked perfectly! Thank you!!

The BEACH: Glorious. The beach is extremely long, making for a gorgeous walk (or run if you are so inclined to actually workoff those extra vacation calories....good for you) I have never seen a hotel so prepared for a mass amount of guests and there were so many chairs that there were as many empty as full. The Southern end (Near Maya Beach) is very quiet, alot less people and gorgeous sandy swim area. Both ends of the beach are impassable, meaning it feels alot more secure and you won't be bothered by beach vendors, etc.
There are no palapas to fight over or block the view and instead there is a multitude of gorgeous palms that provide shade. There is a great dock for fish viewing (kids can buy fish food to feed them) and an awesome floating ring tied to the dock for those less inclined to floating on their own. However, if snorkeling is your thing, it's absolutely awesome just off the dock. We saw plenty of sting rays in the water, and learned to "shuffle" our feet as we went out, just to be safe. Even saw a massive barracuda swim thru, just don't wear super sparkly items into the water. Don't let this scare you, just be aware that you are on their natural home turf. The ocean water was the perfect temperature and a great way to cool off. It was awesome to see so many adults actually out laughing and having fun, splashing around in the waves.
There was no beach service, but the pool bar is very close.

***The Palmeras Beach Grill is one of the best I've been to. It's very large, excellent service and a great selection of food. The view was amazing and it was the perfect break in the day, and a great way to spend the 1 hour of rain we had all week.

THE FOOD: One of the most noted things vs. other places we've visited is the service. We felt "waited on" everywhere. From being "seated" at the buffet to being waited on at the beach grill, the service was incredible and the staff was always so pleasant (especially the morning staff!) I truly believe you get what you put out...."please and thank you" from guests shouldn't be so difficult (Geesh, manners people!!) They work hard and are there to help you, not be treated like Fido with "fetch". The food was excellent and there was always a ton of choice. The morning smoothie and omelet stations were a favorite, with quick service. We booked all 4 a la cartes (book as soon as you arrive) We did go to the Italian, it was good but nothing spectacular. We then cancelled the remainder as we enjoyed the buffet as well as the freedom to eat at whatever time we felt like.

THE POOLS: We are ocean and sand people, so didn't spend much time in the pool. We did enjoy the pool bar once, and the drink service was very quick. I agree that the drinks were inconsistent and most people had to order an additional shot of alcohol or even went and bought their own bottle. The pool water was extremely warm and there was always tons of space. Shade chairs by the pool were probably the hardest to come by if you arrived later. I loved all the hammocks and covered areas. The pool activities looked like alot of fun, and the activity staff is super fun. We found the atmosphere of the pool to be completely different from the beach crowd, alot more party type scene, but clearly everyone there was having a blast.

OTHER:
- There is a "shopping centre" located behind the lobby of the Colonial section that has the typical Mexican market stores, as well as a place where Sunday Church Mass is held.
- There is Dolphin swimming on site.
- There are a ton of activities both free (kayaking, hobbie cats, snorkeling) and $$ (jet skiis, parasailing, etc) available.

HIGHLIGHTS:
- Excellent layout and proximity to everything you need.
- Great buffet food.
- Gorgeous grounds with tons of seating to enjoy the fountains.
- Great service.
- Stunning beach.
- A ton of chairs and shady spots.
- Excellent for families and couples alike.
- Felt very safe traveling as just 2 females.

LOWLIGHTS:
- Wifi was $50 US for the week ($14 US/day)
- Checkin. Slow and unwelcoming.
- The hotel shopping is unbelievably expensive ($10 bag of Doritos and $27 sunscreen)
- The "$2000 in coupons" sound alot more exciting and user friendly than they really are. Unless you are a real coupon user they probably will go in the garbage like ours did.

TIPS BEFORE YOU VISIT:
- Bring plenty of sunscreen from home. It will run you about $30 US for a bottle at the hotel.
- Bring an insulated mug.
- Bring lots of $1 bills for tipping (and yes, tip, they work hard)
- Bring your own snorkel set.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel, it is fantastic.
***Remember that alot of a vacation is your own attitude. If you sweat the small stuff then you won't be able to enjoy the incredible moments. Treat others with respect and kindness if you expect it in return. HOLA!!!!

Room Tip: If you have small kids or an early to bed type, then ask to be away from the theatre.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Siddybear
Dear Siddybear,
We appreciate very much the time expend to share your impressions on Trip Advisor; we are pleased to know you really liked our Service and Facilities. A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously.
We thank you for the opportunity you gave us to host your last vacation and really hope you choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your next one.
Warmest Regards to Alberta, Canada.
Southlake
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

The nightmare began as soon as we checked in. We paid for 9 days and 2 adjoining rooms as we have 3 young children under the age of 13. They refused to put our rooms together stating they were 'sold' out. The food is not all inclusive nor the drinks. The wifi PER device (not family) is 39$ per 5 days. Room service charges you, they have you sign for the fee & pretend that they do not understand English. The only thing all-inclusive is the buffet breakfast, lunch & dinner. You cannot get a reservation in the other restaurants because they will tell you they are booked. Stay away from this place. The only thing amazing is the oceanfront/snorkeling.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Texassoccer
Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology for any non intentional incident that you experienced during your stay.

maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

If you see reviews that have negative reviews of this site chalk it up to the fact that they are probably not happy with most things. Is this resort perfect no, but it is very close. We were put in a room near the theatre and it was very noisy asked to be moved and the request was filled right away, no problem. Beach is great and snorkeling is world class if you get to the outer parts of the reef where it is very clear. Rooms are good and beds not as hard as others say, AC works great almost too good. Buffett are good and you can find something you like. The sit down restaurants are hit and miss with the Japanese restaurant being the best with the seafood a close second. Resort is huge and has something for everyone so stop complaining and have some fun at this great resort you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Stay away from the theatre if you go to bed early.
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank fishboyy
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear fishboyy,

The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, when we read a review like yours we feel we have reached our goal.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments,

Warm Regards!
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,270 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!