“Still good hotel, but has some flaws”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was our second trip to Barcelo Maya both times we stayed at Tropical ,we like the proximity of the building to our favorite part of the beach and service at Tropical is a little better compare to other buildings. Since we went for almost 3 week ,we wanted to make sure that everybody will stay at the place that we like . In general all our stay was very nice ,except we've noticed few changes to worse.
Overall room cleanness is good .Towels and bed sheets need to be replaced ,almost all of them are stained , gray instead of white and borders are ripped off which makes it pretty uncomfortable to use them.
A/C cools excellent ,which is very important during summer . Room beverage service is not efficient as 2 years ago, they will skip on stoping to fill the fridge with drinks , but they will come very quick if called for service.
Food at the buffet restaurant is still good , it's not a gourmet ,but it's fine . Waiters are nice, courteous and well trained. The hotel uses bottled water at all it's restaurants ,so don't be afraid to drink water ! Japanese restaurant was great and we loved the show chef makes, but it books fast.
Beach is great as always , not as clean compare to previous time. There was one issue I have to mention about, my husband and my daughter had some kind of chemical burn or poison ivy, he had it on his arm,chest and back and she had it on her hand. They were not in contact with plants ,but only towels and chairs at the beach . And it's clearly looked like areas that were in contact with something. At first I thought they had a sun burn ,but next morning it was clear that it was something else. Coming back to Houston, I had to take them to dermatologist office immediately . It took a long time and 2 different creams to clear those out ,until now my husband has a spot on his back . I still wonder what chemical did they touched ,maybe something that was spilled on chairs or who knows what. With that said beach chairs should be more clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank dentistmommy
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear dentistmommy,
We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Tropical

Reviewed March 11, 2014

5th trip to Mexico, first time at this resort, great food, beds just Ok and could use new sheets as when a resort uses white sheets they need to change when no longer white in colour. Night time entertainment is poor. I did see rats 3 different times and when we got home sent the resort and email about this but no replay a month later so I guess they do not care. We also did not have a coffee maker in our room so second day stopped at the front desk to ask for one but never received one.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Candy S

Dear Candy S,
We appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. Please accept a sincere apology for not having answered you before; we will work on Housekeeping issues to improve them.
We would be grateful to host you again in the future.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was a great resort. Very large so choices were plentiful in terms of dining, evening venues to sit and relax, ample space to walk around, many lobby's to enjoy, large beachfront and many pools. Loungers on the beach were plentiful with the resort being 100% occupied both on the beach and pool area. Room was clean and re-stocked every day.
Grounds and buildings were exceptionally clean and well manicured. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was great with with different Mexican choices along with the usual fair. Loved the Red Hot sauce that showes up at different times.The 4 A-la-cartes that we went to were great. The best being the Japanese ( first time ever).

Room Tip: For living quarters, I always ask for at least the second floor on open concept buildings and do not...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WardDorchester

Dear WardDorchester,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Barcelo Maya Tropical. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Thank you very much for your review.
We look forward to host you.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife, granddaughter and I stayed a week (February 15 – 22, 2014) at the Barceló Maya Tropical. We had a Junior Suite on the main floor of the Vera Cruz Building. There was absolutely nothing that did not meet and in the vast majority of instances exceed our expectations. The suite and amenities, housekeeping, maintenance of the grounds, pools and beaches, buffet food quality and variety, speciality restaurants (especially Japanese) was all first class. Every staff member we encountered was very accommodating especially those in the buffet restaurants. We would definitely return and have no hesitation recommending this Barceló as an ideal family holiday location.

Room Tip: The Vera Cruz building offers easy access to the pool area, beach and buffets. I would recommend th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Bruce C
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Bruce C,
We appreciate your kind comments on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence. The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again therefore we are happy to know you had a fantastic holiday.
Once again thank you very much, we would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you in the future.
Warmest Regards to Canada,

Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband & I along with 6 friends stayed here over a 10 day period February/March 2014. I am a travel agent as well and this review is based on our experience as compared to our other Mexican all-inclusive vacations (11 to date). We used Iberoservice as our transfer company and it took approximately 1 hour from the airport to the hotel.

Rooms - we were given a 3rd floor room in the Yucatan section of the resort as requested; the only disappointment was we had two double beds rather than one king however we managed just fine. Our room initially had a strange noise coming from the air conditioner; we called and the problem was dealt with immediately. We found the room clean and comfortable, the bathroom was a good size and had good lighting. Our room was cleaned every day, we were provided new towels and our fridge was refilled with water, beer and soft drinks. No towel animals, but we were ok with that. We found the area we were in pretty quiet and we weren’t bothered by hallway or neighbor noise. Take the 3rd floor if you can especially since you don’t have to worry about the stairs here with the elevator. The only criticism we had was there was a lack of plug-ins (bring a two prong extension cord) and no English tv channel. We were prepared for these challenges as many other resorts have the same issues.

Restaurants – the buffets for both the Tropical and Colonial were air-conditioned. I liked the fact that the tables were covered with tablecloths in the buffets and all the restaurants, including the Mariachi buffet near the beach. We were very impressed with the food and service in the buffets; the selection wasn’t as large as some of the resorts we’ve visited but all the essentials were covered and there wasn’t an unnecessary repeat of the same dish. The lines seemed to move very quickly and the food quality was as good or better than any other all-inclusive in Mexico. Loved that fresh churros were present at breakfast every day ☺ Service was good regardless of whether or not a tip was present.
We visited the Mexico Lindo specialty restaurant at the Beach section; it was free to us as we had booked our trip prior to their change of rules for using the restaurants (apparently you now pay $25 per person if you are not a guest of the Beach section). The food and service was good although I’m not sure I would pay $25. We also visited the El Gaucho steakhouse – service was great but many of us found our steaks to be too salty. Our server brought us shrimp as an extra appetizer. House wine in the specialty restaurants was decent – we opted not to purchase the upgraded wine.

Beach - unlike other resorts we have visited, we didn’t have any problem finding chairs on the beach regardless of when we got there. We generally arrived around 10:30 am and there was plenty of selection. One thing we missed was palapas on the beach however there were many palm trees to use as shade. The beach itself was very nice, great for long walks with a few rocky areas. We generally stayed in front of the Tropical/Colonial area although my husband did snorkel near the Palace beach where he saw a turtle and plenty of other fish. One of our friends stubbed his toe on a sharp rock after snorkeling and required medical assistance on the beach – he was bleeding quite badly. The staff cleaned up the cut, bandaged it and even redressed the cut the following day. There was no charge to him for this.

We didn’t spend a lot of time at the pool other than the odd dunk to cool off or to get a drink at the swim up bar. The pools seemed clean and well maintained.

Bars – we visited the beach bar, the Colonial lobby bar and the Tropical lobby bar. Service at all was good although sometimes slow in the lobbies. I liked that there was a selection of self-serve snacks at the lobby bars (fruit, cookies, peanuts and fresh popcorn). Drink quality was fine.

Entertainment – we only attended the Lev “Michael” Jackson show. We’ve seen it at other resorts and it is always fun to watch.

Dive shop - my husband did 3 dives with Dressel Divers; booked online and received a discount for prebooking. He found the staff to be professional and the equipment to be in great condition.

As mentioned by other reviewers, the resort includes a dolphinarium. We did not visit or watch the shows.

Prior to this visit, I purchased a sim card and data plan through an online company called www.mexicosimcard.com The owner, Vincent, was most helpful quickly answering all questions I had. While the hotel does offer a wifi plan, it is necessary to be in the hotel lobby areas to access wifi and the cost was approximately the same as the sim card and 1.5 gigs of data. Through Mexicosimcard, I had access to my email and could iMessage, use Facebook, etc. anywhere on the resort including the beach. Vincent has shipping offices in both Canada and the US and I had the card and instructions within about 3 days of my order. Your phone must be unlocked in order to use this service.

It is hard to criticize this resort provided you keep in mind it is classified as a family oriented 4.5* hotel. For the price we paid, we were very pleased with our stay and would definitely return. It was great not to have to dodge timeshare (vacation club) sales! As a travel agent, I would recommend this resort to my clients. Please email me at Leanne@leannestravel.com if you have questions or for more information.

Room Tip: Yucatan building is close to the lobby and the buffets. Choose a 3rd floor room to avoid overhead n...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank mannfam
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear mannfam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations and for choosing Barceló Maya Tropical to expend this vacation with your friends.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously therefore we will work on Maintenance issues to improve them.

Once again thank you very much, we would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you and your friends in the future.

Warmest Regards to St. Albert, Alberta.

Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We traveled to this resort Feb 16-23. It was our second time to this resort and everything was amazing.
The buffet was good with plenty of selection. If you go to this resort make sure you get served by two amazing people, Darwin and Noe...these two gentleman know how to treat people and really enjoy going out of there way to make you feel comfortable and welcomed. To the Barcelo Mgt team....you have two superstars Darwin and Noe don't lose them!!
The rest of the resort was very well maintained and clean. There was always plenty of pool loungers and beach loungers no matter what time of the day it was. The overall atmosphere at this resort was everyone was respectful and very relaxing.
Our rooms were done everyday and never had any issue with the cleanliness of our room.
We have been to many resorts and this resort is definitely one where we will be back a third time.
If there is one suggestion I would give to the Barcelo Mgt it would be to look at their check-in customer service. They are not very accommodating and not really there for the customer. Now that being said it was only 3 people that we dealt with there at check-in so I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush, it did not ruin our vacation.
We are already planning our next vacation!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank pappajoe

Dear pappajoe.

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Your words regarding our Staff (Mr. Darwin and Noe), buffet, pools, beach and rooms are always much appreciated.

Is our committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities; we thank you very much for the kind explanation of the Resort.

We would be grateful to host you and your friends or family in the near future.

Warmest Regards to Ottawa, Canada.

Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Good but not Great!!!

My family decided to go away this Christmas and we needed a family friendly resort; we were attracted to the Barceló because of their $2000 resort credit. The resort credit is a joke. My wife and I travel all the time, we have been to Mexico at least a dozen times; we have been to resorts that offer “Resort Credits,” they have always been real credits. The Barceló offers you coupons, to use any of the “credit” you must spend more money. To me it was no different than using a 20% coupon at the store, plus it seems that the Barceló hiked up the price of the items so it was not really a credit…very disappointing.
The other issue I had was that you had to use coupons to make reservations for the specialty restaurants. This is the first resort that I have ever been to that you had a limited amount of visits to the specialty restaurants. At other resorts we just showed up for dinner, here you have to make reservations and if there is no room, you don’t get in. The first day we tried to book dinner for rest of the week (we stayed for 7 nights and only got 4 coupons to the specialty restaurants), they were booked during normal hours at all the restaurants, we had to eat at 5:00.
Overall the resort is clean and nice, great for family. I am sure there are better resorts; however it is a good bang for your buck. Overall, it’s good but not great.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Alan D

Dear Alan D,
Let us start by thanking you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor regarding your past vacation. Our goal is complete guest satisfaction; We look forward to host your family again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities and we would love to improve the image Barcelo Maya Tropical gave you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!