“Heavenly holiday with family” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Alberta
“Heavenly holiday with family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week at this 4 star all inclusive resort. There were six adults in our party. The hotel was really good about ensuring we were all on the same floor, in the same area of our building. We called ahead to arrange this. The resort is huge, but that's ok, because you will need to do lots of walking to work off the wonderful food. Our room was clean and spacious but the bed was super hard - quite typical for Mexico. We were disappointed in how irregular the fridge was refilled. We had to constantly ask, or it was not done. The hotel claims to refill your fridge with snacks, water, and beer every day, but this just didn't happen. The pool area is beautiful and very big. The hotel was full, but we never had a sense of that. We never had any problem getting 6 loungers together either at the pool or at the beach. There is plenty of room for everyone. Overall the food was excellent. However, I would advise everyone to avoid the seafood restaurant. The food was terrible, and the manager was a tyrant. I can't believe he can get away with treating staff and guests as poorly as he did. Maybe he needs a vacation,(lol). The Japanese restaurant was amazing! I highly recommend this. The food is cooked right at your table. Our kids arranged a professional photo shoot during our stay. What an excellent keepsake! Thanks to Deborah, our photographer for the excellence photos!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JLP1989
Guadalupe S, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Alberta, Thank you so much for share your impresions about the hotel, we would take in high consideration your coment regarding Marenostrum Restaurant, we apologize for the lack of Service there as well as filling your In room fridge, we remain at your service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
Whitewood, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Visited Dec 19-24, 2013. Second trip to Complex (palace before) - first to Tropical. Grounds are unbelievably beautiful. Large beach, great staff. I traveled with two 18 yr old boys and one 15 year old girl. Four in one room (superior) was very comfortable. One boy slept on the couch and the staff provided a nicely made bed daily. Hair dryer quit working and was replaced quickly. Room was mostly clean and very nice. Food was good and plentiful. The drinks were good and staff was great. The ONLY complaint is the WIFI. It doesn't work. After trips to the front desk and multiple tries - it just didn't work. Once in a while you could get a page to open but that was it. I guess it is to be expected in another country - to not have what we have in the US. Other than that - all I can say is any other resort will always be measured up against Barceló. You cannot beat the beach, grounds, food or staff. I was a bit concerned after staying at the Palace to "down grade" - but would not hesitate to stay at the tropical again. The boys loved the Discoteque and found plenty to keep busy during the day. We had plenty of lounge chairs at the beach and at the pools. The daily activities were a blast to watch - wish we had participated. We went to the shows and enjoyed them greatly. We talked to several families that had previously stayed at other resorts like RIU and Ibeostar and said Barceló was much better.
Don't hesitate - if you don't have fun and enjoy yourself - it is not the resort's fault!!!

Room Tip: Veracruz is farther from dining and pools - but also quieter.
3 Thank Jan S
Dear Jan S. Thank you very much for your enthusiastic writing regarding us!! We are very happy to know you liked the resort, here is our contact email for your next trip to Barcelo Maya Tropical!!! We are working on the WIFI we apologize for not having good conexión while you were on vacation. …contactoemail.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Very nice resort. All the staff were excellent and very attentive- besides management who were not helpful. Had difficulties with internet, ended up paying for it twice (they didn't have record of cash transaction so we had to pay for it on departure as well) and it didn't work the whole time! Besides that, this would be a resort I would go back to. The pool areas were beautiful. Would recommend for a family vacation with small children (they have their own water park area). Beach was a bit rocky in areas, but you could deal with that. There was no real areas of shade (no cabanas or anything) on the beach, so we had to stay near the pool to find shade- would be nice if there were areas of shade while still being on the beach! There is a dock that you could go snorkeling at- SO many fish and rays to see! Beautiful water, and nice proximity to the hotel (short walk on the beach). People that didn't want to snorkel could watch from the dock and see the fish swimming around the people in the water! Excellent food- servers were very friendly. Beautiful Christmas Eve buffet- absolutely stunning and delicious!
Had a few rainy moments during the week, but the hotel is well set up that you can take routes that are completely covered, so even if it is rainy, you can move around the hotel grounds easily without getting rained on....

ATMs were not working at the time of our stay, so we were unable to get cash out. Just something to keep in mind- made it a little difficult to purchase items when we went shopping, but managed...

Overall, a very nice resort and vacation. Despite the difficulties with trying to communicate with management regarding internet charges, I wouldn't let it ruin how good the rest of the vacation was! Would recommend to others!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank msemmy28
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, June 8, 2015
Dear msemmy28,
We would like to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, for you to know comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.
We are glad to know you have encountered so many good things at the Resort, please accept our apology for the internet failure. We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.
We look forward to welcome you back.
North Wales, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

This review is so long overdue, I was having computer issues and never went back to post a review. We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical June 7-14, 2012. We were booked for the Colonial as we had our daughter and friend with us and wanted to be closest to the disco but were told we were in the Tropical when we arrived. We were in rooms 7365 and 7367. The rooms were clean and mini bar was stocked daily. We didn't receive towel art as in other resorts we stayed at (Iberostar, Grand Palladium, Majestic Colonial) or any welcoming gifts. For us, the location was perfect as we went down the stairs and right to the open air bar for cocktails.

While we were there two lobby bars closed at midnight and one open air and one air-conditioned stayed open all night. We loved this as we often stay up late on vacations. There was no bar service on the beach but a short walk to get drinks was fine with us. The resort is huge and we LOVED this! So much to do and to see!

The property is kept immaculate, the gardens are beautiful and the layout is perfect. By far, our favorite resort layout. The swim up bars were awesome. We met so many people and to this day still keep in touch with many of them! The walkways go through jungle areas and are lit for night strolls to work off some of the food and beverages:) There is mini golf that goes through the jungle too, it was a bit run down (I think it is part of the new renovations) but we enjoyed playing at night when we weren't attending a show.

The beaches are spectacular! Yes, there are rocky areas, but we love snorkeling and this property so far has been the best! In front of the Palace, you walk out and knee deep in water we saw turtles everyday we snorkled along with such beautiful coral and tropical fish. And so many rays! We couldn't get enough! Further down there is a pier where you could walk out and get in the water....great way for anyone to see so many fish! The beaches down by the caribe and maya beach were the nicest for walking. We saw so many beautiful weddings take place down there! We never had an issue with getting chairs.

There are organized games all day if you want to be active (as we do!). The staff was friendly but "reserved", not as engaging as at Iberostar and Majestic, but we did make friends with our lobby bartenders Luis Mendez "el rojo", Jacinto Luna, Isabel Garcia and Deycie.
The drinks were good, when we got tired of the "sweet" drinks we would ask for something different and they always came up with something good:) Try a spiderman shot! They could use some additional bartending service as the bartenders seem very overworked and sometimes you had to wait a decent amount of time for a drink, especially at the pools and beach.

The food was very good for an all-inclusive, the breakfasts were fabulous and the a la cartes were very good. Our favorite was the show cooking, the meal as well as the desserts were incredible. Also, ask for a Mayan coffee there! One thing that I am hoping with the renovations they are doing is to change the restrictions on the number of a la cartes per stay. The Palladium allows unlimited as well as no reservations, and it is also a huge resort. Last year we never had to wait more than 15 minutes to be seated, without reservations. We were able to eat a la carte every night. This is a big plus of Palladiums. They also have an incredible spa that you can use for free, of course for massages and things like that you pay, but the pool area of the spa, jacuzzis, steam rooms etc are all free...another Palladium plus.

The disco (Jaguaar) here is HUGE compared to any other place we have been and crowded every night. The Palladium disco was near empty every night. The kids really enjoyed this and again, met so many friends there.

We are looking for a vacation again this year, to celebrate our anniversary and are hoping to find a deal as we are avid snorkelers and from reading reviews and forums we haven't seen anywhere that beats the Barcelo for on-site snorkeling.

You will not be disappointed in the Barcelo as your vacation choice!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank LindaF99
Dear LindaF99,
We would like to thank you for recommend us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the fact you really liked the onsite snorkeling, you are completely right there are turtles, fishes and stingrays to swim with. There are new additions to Barcelo Maya as bowling area, 24 hours snack bar at Maya Mall Shopping and Entertainment and others.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Warmest Regards.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have stayed at many all inclusive resorts in the past as well as cruised on several different lines...Barcelo Maya Tropical was the worst in comparison to everywhere else I have stayed. I stayed in the Veracruz portion with my brother, my parents stayed at the Palace (they booked the trip prior to my brother and I for the holiday season and when I was booking my trip, their hotel was sold out so this was the next best thing).

Day 1: We arrived after a 12 hour travel and even though our confirmation forms stated we would have a double room, they insisted on putting us in a single. They were fully booked and could not accommodate us. I'm sorry, but being 23, I do not want to share a bed with my 19 year old brother. I demanded and demanded, got a supervisor involved, and they put us in a double room (pillows are hard as rocks). We ate dinner at the seafood restaurant at the Palace hotel with our parents that night. My brother was wearing nice shorts (not denim, not khaki, they were gray and trendy), and even though they made us wait 40 minutes for a table and we were talking with the hostess, not once did she say shorts were not allowed in the restaurant. It was only when we were being seated BY THE SAME HOSTESS, that she said something. Again, we had a supervisor come and raised hell until he let it go for that night. Octopus- inedible. Salmon braid- inedible. Food royally sucked. The mojito I got was delicious.

Day 2: After a workout at the gym (which I'll describe later), I stopped at the buffet to pick up breakfast for my brother who was sick and still asleep. Breakfast ends at 10:30 and he was going to miss it but I wanted him well-fed. I took a bagel and some eggs for him and was stopped as I was leaving. They said I couldn't take food out of the buffet and I explained that my brother is sick. The woman wouldn't let me leave so I spoke to her supervisor, and her supervisor's supervisor explaining my situation. They told me the only way to get food into the room was by paying for room service. NO THANKS, I JUST DROPPED A FEW THOUSAND TO STAY AT AN ALL INCLUSIVE THANKYOUVERYMUCH! I was told I can bring fruit back for my brother. Excuse me, the kid is a 19 year old man, he is not a pansy, he needs a solid breakfast. Anyway, they let me leave with the food because people were starting to stare. Later...even though I put the "clean" sign on the door to have housekeeping clean our room, we got back at 7pm to find the room the same way we left it at 10am that morning. We didn't even have clean towels to shower and had an 8:30 dinner reservation. I called housekeeping SEVEN times in an hour and each time they told me someone will come in 5 minutes. NOPE. However, they did bring us towels and when we got back to the room at 11pm it was cleaned. We ate at the Palace again, except at the French restaurant. Fois Gras- inedible. Escargot- no flavor. Duck- tasteless. Creme brulee- disgusting. Lemon pie- nasty. Chocolate box- decent, but not the chocolates inside the box.
The room: Clean, spacious, no iron (but had an ironing board), clock did not work, bathroom trash can had rust all over it.

Day 3: No problems that day. We ate at the buffet at the Palace and it was actually really good. Get the grilled octopus, YUM. I think I ate 5 plates of food since I was famished for the past two days. That night was Christmas Eve so we went to see the Nutcracker show. I don't think I've ever seen such a poor show in my entire life. My brother and I destroyed our international data plans on our phones during the performance and my brother even used the word "abysmal" to describe what we just watched.

Day 4: No problems. We ate at the Italian restaurant at Tropical. Gnocchi- good. Seafood lasagna- salty but decent. Osso Bucco- inedible. Tiramisu- fake. Canolli- where is the ricotta? The wine tasted like grape water. Also, we had a reservation at 9:30 but arrived early- there were SEVEN empty tables and they refused to seat us until 9:30...mom got the supervisor who was a massive B**CH.

Day 5: Ate at the steakhouse at Tropical. The appetizers were sad- their sausages were basically their breakfast sausages from the buffet on a different plate. For a Mexican appetizer, please don't put defrosted jalapeño poppers on a plate (same ones as the buffet) and call it Mexican. THERE IS NO AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD IN THIS ENTIRE HOTEL...IN MEXICO!

Day 6: Happy to leave.

The good: Spa (I had a deep tissue massage which was great- beware, they change prices all the time there). Drinks. Pretty premises. Breakfast buffet is good. Loved the coffee.

The bad: Food, wine, service, employees, everything. Also, because it's so big, it takes forever to get from point A to point B. Just going to the bathroom at the pool is a trip. The gym isn't air conditioned (WTF), dirty, and packed because it's too small to accommodate everyone.

SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE.

1 Thank jackizzyshap
Dear jackizzyshap,
Feedback from our guests, both past and present, helps us improve our services and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction. We apologize for the lack of service regarding your past stay. We have been working to improve every day. We still have the same policies such dress code at A la Carte Restaurants; however the Resort has many upgrades such A/C gym.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to host you in the future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed there Dec 11-18 2013, my husband, I and our 9 month old son.
The resort is beautiful for kids, there are kidy pools with waterslides, lots of menu food options available all the time for them so thats great!

But the pictures showing the rooms and all the nice kidy pools of the resort with the dragon are at the Barcelo Deluxe, and at check in they tell you You dont have access at the Deluxe section... despite their false advertisement...

The service was brutal and very poor... Ive been down South to many locations 8 times, and Ive never had service this bad... They seem to favor the ppl with the premium club bracelets.
No one comes by the pool to take your drink order. We'd be itting for 10 min at the resto tables and still no one came to pour us water,,, I often went myself to the bar to ask for a waiter for our table, We'd come back from the buffet and still our dirty dishes were on the table... The worst was at the steakhouse, the waiter would go to all the tables around us but ours cause they all had premium bracelets. we barely got water, got our meals after ppl who came after us... and with a 9 month old baby, the poor service was a unpleasant experience

The maid wouldnt clean our room completly. wouldnt replace the empty kleenex boxes, etc... I had to often call room service to complain, wouldnt give us clean mugs...

The rooms were very moldy, around the lamps, shower, etc. It was gross...

Could of been better if the lack of service wasnt an issue.... and if the rooms werent disgusting and old looking

2 Thank Sarabeez
Dear Sarabeez,
Thank you for your comments, feedback from our guests, both past and present, helps us improve our services and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction. We apologize for the lack of service regarding your past stay. We have been working to improve every day.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to host you in the future, to change the bad image taken from the resort.
Best Regards,

texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We booked a vacation 2 years ago to the palace in Jan 2012 and all was good. We were impressed told all our family and friends. June 2013 we had 5 groups joined us, this time at the tropical. Was horrible. We're not that hard to please - just clean rooms, good food, nice beach thats it. not asking to be waited on hand and foot. The place was so crowded you can't hardly book any restaurants. To top that off and I don't know if this was hotel policy or EXPEDIA but you were limited to your dining. YEAH, and all inclusive hotel but you were LIMITED to dining options. if you stayed 6 nights you get like 2 tickets to dine. I've never heard of such limitation at an all inclusive resort.

Room Tip: stay away from expedia -- and if food is important in your vacation, this one is limited.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ti009
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, June 9, 2015
Dear ti009,
Thank you for your comments regarding your past stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.
We would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,271 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!