“It was good but not excellent”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Our trip to Barcelo was good. Some things I was happier than expected, and some the reverse.
Rooms: they were fine; decent size and were clean. We had asked for specific location and they complied. Just realize that there are no better rooms than others. If you are close to the beach, then you are further from the buffet. If you want to go to bed early, ask for a room away from theatre, but be prepared to do more walking. The tram hardly ever came by that we saw, and we walked everywhere.
Beach: The beach itself is very beautiful. The swimming was not good. Way too many rocks. The water was murky (due to previous rains I'm sure), and a lot of seaweed along the shore. I realize the water isn't their fault, but some of the beach was lacking in maintenance.
Pools: Absolutely stunning! I am not a pool person, until now! They were great, and the fountains going all the time were soothing. LOTS of lounge chairs always...on the beach and at the pool.
Swim-up bar & Bartenders: Management really need to teach the bartenders how to make drinks. This was the absolute worst resort I have been to where they don't know how to make your basic drinks. The bartenders also never seemed very friendly or happy. However, in their defence....someone in management is insisting they play SLOW DEPRESSING Christmas music all day and night....horrible!! Usebios, Jacintos Lunas, and Luciano seemed to be competent and friendlier than other bartenders from my experience there.
Food: Somewhat of a disappointment. The breakfast was excellent, no complaints...they had absolutely everything. Lunch at the Buffet Snack Bar by the pool was terrible...I couldn't stomach the last few days....however the regular buffet wasn't much better. Too much stuff swimming in sauce that I couldn't even discern what it was. The real annoying part that I couldn't believe was this: You are NOT allowed to eat anything outside...not an ice cream cone, nothing! They have tables outside the snack buffet bar, but I asked if I could have some chips and salsa outside, and they said no, and also asked me to leave as I didn't have shoes on. Give me a break!! Grand Bahia Principe Tulum was much more accommodating (and food was much better too) Also, they advertise their Lobby Bar as 24 hrs, but not true...it shuts down and you can't get anything there at all after midnight. You also can't bring anything out of the buffet to your room, as they only have cloth napkins and glass plates. At GBP, they would wrap things up FOR YOU to take away...also had a 24 hr bar and hot snack bar.
Entertainment: Completely lacking. There was only the theatre and it was pretty lame. The kids club however was good at night and during the day...great staff for the kids and great activities. They have never had any other entertainment besides the theatre and Mexican Fiesta....yawn.
Restaurants: We did the Japanese twice....excellent, however, if you wanted Sake, you had to pay for it....at GBP, it was included. We had NY steaks at Santa Fe, and they were excellent too, and a nice change from the buffet.
The resort is good, but I won't return...I will try another resort next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TimelessTula
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2015

Dear Timeless Tula,
First of all thank you for the time you have taken to share your experience on trip advisor, we are pleased to know you liked the Japanese Food, sorry for the impression taken regarding bartenders. A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests, since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities.
Barcelo Maya Beach Resort has so many improvements, we would be honor to host you in the future.
Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Tropical

Reviewed December 11, 2013

The resort was beautiful! Great service...beach was quite rocky. Tons of pool space and great for kids because of the waterparks. Food was pretty good except you have to pay for it if you want it past 2 or 3 AM. Booze is served 24/7 but not food? Hiring a babysitter there (listed on their amenities) is a chore and a half. We tried 3 times and were not successful as their communication with the caregivers is poor (waiting on emails). Resort is huge which is sometimes frustrating. All in all, a fun experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KristenWy

Dear KristenWy,
We really appreciate your comments, we look forward to host you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed December 10, 2013

My family of 5 and I just returned from a week long trip to the Barcelo. We had booked the Barcelo Beach, but upon arrival, we were told we were upgraded to the Tropical due to the ongoing refurbishment at the Beach. I gave this property 5 stars because for what we paid, we definitely felt it was a great value and a great experience, not that it's a five star resort. If I return, I think I'd be perfectly happy staying at the Beach or Caribe sections as I did agree with many other posters that the beach area is best there. Here's what our tips and impressions were.

*Location, location, location! The fact that this resort is on its own private bay really contributes to a feeling of privacy and seclusion. The other resorts where we've stayed in Mexico are on beautiful beaches, but you turn and look down the beach and see resort after resort.
*Pools are amazing and were heated to a very comfortable temperature. The pools at the Tropical/Colonial definitely seemed the biggest. However, the pools at the Palace and Beach/Caribe were also quite large. Tropical/Colonial and Palace both have waterparks for kids - not sure if Beach/Caribe does so check on that if that's a factor for you.
*Staff- works so hard. We would sit in the buffet area and just watch them hustling constantly, fetching drinks, seating people, clearing plates, etc.. We tipped them all although I don't think this was expected. To pay thousands of dollars for a vacation and not allocate a couple hundred to tip the employees who make your stay pleasurable seems wrong to me.
*Grounds were beautifully manicured and tended.
*Food - for us it was just mediocre. The things we enjoyed most in the buffets were the fresh fruits, made to order omelettes in the morning, guacamole, pico de gallo, and the fish was usually quite tasty. The meats generally seemed pretty fatty and gristly. You definitely won't starve, but I can't say the food was a particular strength for us.
*Specialty restaurants - We went to the Italian, the Seafood, and Kyoto for teppanyaki where they cook it on the grill in front of you. The service and presentation at all three was awesome, but we thought the only tasty meal was at Kyoto. Definitely, make your reservations the day you arrive. We did and there was only one availability all week for dinner at Kyoto.
*Entertainment staff did a good job of getting my teens involved in basketball both in and out of the water.
*Beaches are beautiful. The section in front of the Beach/Caribe was always calmer than the section in front of the Trop/Col. We brought our own snorkel equipment and were really disappointed with the snorkeling. We saw a few fish, but the visibility was crummy and the coral all looked colorless and dead. I wouldn't bother lugging all that equipment next time.
*Water sports shack - Definitely don't wait to the end of your trip to book the Hobie Cats. One day they were all reserved and the last day they closed due to high winds for a few hours and couldn't honor our reservation.
*Bug spray - we didn't use it and did get a few bites, especially the late afternoon we played mini golf at their pitch and putt area.
*Bring a power strip for charging phones, etc.. There seemed to be very few outlets in the room and they were located behind furniture.
*Beds were very bouncy. We had one king bed and every time either of us moved it would bounce the other awake. If I return, I'll request two beds.
*They did honor my email request made a week prior for connecting rooms.
*Bring an insulated drink cup to fill at the beach bars. You'll make fewer trips and it will stay colder much longer.
*Bring a blow up raft or chair to use in the ocean. Heavenly.
*The pools do tend to get a little loud at points in the day with the entertainment crew organizing games and conducting exercise classes. Bring your own music if that's annoying to you.
*Bring earplugs for sleeping. Noise travels from all the tile hallways.
*Dive Shop onsite - we inquired about a cenote dive and after a lot of hemming and hawing, eventually got a price for two cenote dives, transportation, "excursion fee", and a beach dive to ensure our competency for a cenote dive. The fee they quoted us was double what we ended up paying to a local dive shop in Puerto Aventuras.
*My only complaints are as follows. I'd prefer not to be harassed by the employees walking around asking if you want a temporary tattoo, to swim with the dolphins on sight, to book a tour, etc.. Just leave me alone and I'll find you if I'm interested. Two, several days they had a man walking around holding a lion cub and people would pay to take pics with it. That bothered me because even though the man appeared to treat the cub well, what will happen to it when it's not a cute little cub anymore? Three, the dolphin enclosure bothered me. I don't like seeing them in what seems to be a pretty small space being forced to perform.

Other than these complaints, we had a fabulous trip and would definitely return to the Barcelo as well as recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank coloparkers
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2015

Dear coloparkers,

We appreciate very much the time taken to write your comments regarding Barcelo Maya Tropical, we will be very happy to host you again.

Thank you very much for your kind recomendation,

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I am a great proponent of the Barcelo Hotels, enjoying my past vacations with their resorts. At the Tropical and it's sister hotel 'Colonial' the front desk staff at both resorts were exceptional. The staff in general throughout the resort were friendly, cheerful and helpful. The grounds were very well kept. The food was plentiful and good. Of the 'speciallity' restaurants the Spanish, for service, quality of food and ambiance stood out above the rest. Unfortunately the shows were average. I have seen far better at other Barcelo's and other resorts. At the tropical, our room had lights which had burnt out and not repaired all holiday. I did manage to get them changed on the last day of the vacation by 'nabbing' a maintenance worker and getting him to replace them. Beds were hard. The toilet seat was loose, knobs were missing off furniture. The shampoo dispenser in the shower did not work. There were marks on the fabric on the room furniture. A bath towel was returned 'clean' to our rooms, smelling sour and stained. Overall the room looked 'tired'.
As they say on the food channel, "for that reason you have been chopped"......from a 5 to a 4!

4  Thank StueyKamloops

Dear StueyKamloops,

We really appreciate your support, thank you very much for your comments, we hope you give us another opportunity to host you. Barcelo Maya Beach Resort has many new facilities and all of our staff is getting daily training to ensure the satisfaction of our guests.

Once again, we remain at your service.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just returned from the Barcelo Maya Tropical resort we stayed the week of Nov 22-29 2013
overall the resort was nice Grounds were impecable The food was good in all the a la carte Resturants and service was excellent Got to know some of the staff who treated us very very well The beach was nice but had some rocks nothing to complain about I live in Northern Ontario lol The room however was a little old but when I had asked the front desk to change they were very accomadateing Problem was it had a mould or earthy smell in the room which I discovered that it was from the air conditioner after a day of airing out and patio door open all was well they could use some updating though . I was however comparing it to the Grand Bahia in Punta Cana which was beyond a 5 star resort The .Pool was great lots of chairs not over crowed at all lifegards on staff etc Overall I would stay there again but this time at the Palace and upgrade to a ocean view room Just a little tip take the local bus to tour Tulum Ruins instead of the Package deal from the tour groups and also to go to Playa Del carmen for shopping its real cheap and save yourself alot of cash oh ya lots of wild life on the resort and all friendly lol

Room Tip: Try to get a room that looks to inside of the grounds rooms facing the pool and bar maybe a little...
2  Thank Rob C
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2015

Dear Rob C.,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Tropical to expend this holiday for celebrate your 1st Aniversary.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again!.

Warmest Regards to Sault Ste. Marie, Canadá!.
Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I got married at this resort the week of November 2-9, 2013. I am speaking on behalf of myself, as well as the other 40 people who travelled to be with us on our special day....DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT. I can be honest when I say our wedding day was beautiful. Our guests were flat our robbed at this resort. My sister in law had her wedding ring and wedding band, along with a tiffany bracelet and coach purse stolen out of her room. She came back to her room only to find the maid service dumped out all the suitcases and went through all their personal belongings. Other people in our group had things taken from them, but nothing as significant as this. Of course there's NOTHING the front desk staff can do...how would they know who cleaned the room at what time?! I find that hard to believe considering a resort of this size, there has to be some level of organization. You would think when you've had a $21,000 theft from your room, there would be some sort of concern from SOMEBODY?! Nope. Nothing. Do yourself a favour, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: somewhere not at this resort. thieves everywhere.
12  Thank Kyla S
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2016

Dear Kyla S,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.
You can be sure we will work on the issues you mention.
I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.
Best Regards

Reviewed December 1, 2013

went in November of 2012 for a wedding. About 50 of us went down. 2 of the other couples got married here 10 years ago also. Most of us stayed on the Tropical side. (there is also the maya colonial and palace) Overall, it was excellent. Solid 4 star or even a 4+. Some of the group stayed over on the Palace side, and that side was 5 star all the way. We went for an a la carte dinner on the Palace side (don't ask.....) and it was AMAZING- off the charts. Great beach, great amenities for kids- restaurants were all good- even just the buffet. Rained on the wedding day, but they had a plan B inside the theater which worked out well. Mariachi band after the wedding, and private reception as well. Amazing service at the reception. Overall would rank it a 9/10. Palace side would probably be a 15/10 :) Considering it for my own wedding in 2015.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tracy_mlg

Dear Tracy_mlg,

We would like to thank you for sharing your impressions on Trip Advisor regarding your visit to Barceló Maya Tropical. We appreciate the fact to be a Wedding Destination due to coordinate, serve and work in such a special event.

We look forward to hosting you again with your family and friends.

Warmest Regards to Ottawa, Canadá!.
Barceló Maya Tropical

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!