“Beautiful resort but MOLDY”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife am I have stayed at Barcelo Maya twice before and really enjoyed it. This trip had it's ups and downs. Some of it can 't be blamed on the resort...the weather sucked. Barcelo Maya is a beautiful resort...fountains, lush landscaping, the pools, and the Gulf. Our room smelled of mold and was extremely damp. We would have switched rooms but my in-laws had the same problem with their room...so it didn't seem specific to our room. The food, while not bad, was not as good as on prior trips. The meat was often fatty and quality just wasn't quite as good. My stomach was slighty unhappy all week with the food. We did enjoy the Seafood and the Japanese specialty restaurants. Stay clear of the Italian restaurant...it was awful. The pools are gorgeous and the swim up bars great. My in-laws thought the drinks were weak...I drink beer so I didn't 't notice. Be prepared for a long ride from the airport...and some of the shuttle drivers really shouldn't have a license. Overall, I like Barcelo Maya. I think it's a nice resort. I think it has declined a little so I am a little wary of returning.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank John R
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2016

Dear John R,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

We are pleased to know you have encountered many positives at the Resort’s facilities and services, as well as thank you for sharing the good impression the A la Carte Restaurants had left, we have been working in the Italian Restaurant to improve.

We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

John R, I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Best Regards

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Tropical

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 14 nights. No issues. Beautiful hotel resort. Food fantastic. Buffet Italian oriental steak and seafood All staff so happy and nothing any bother. Champagne fir breakfast and lobster most. nights. No tips expected. Loved everything about it. My husband had a bad accident due to fall. Staff and hospital amazing. Thank you. Met some lovely people. Only issue we had was an American couple room 7370 vince. who were there 9 th sept. argued and fought constant. If Uread this shut up what a crap relationship . Thanks and can't wait to come back Cx

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank aspencer975
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2015

Dear aspencer975,

We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence.

We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality.

We look forward to host you. Let us tell you that there have been renovations.

Warmest Regards to Manchester Wngland!.
Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Beach/Caribe side back in 2009 and it does have the better beach but that's all they have better than the Tropical, I mean the beach is still awesome it's just a bit rockier than the Caribe side, but you can always walk the extra minute and a half and find a great spot there if you don't like the rocks in the water but water shoes help.

Anyways this is one of 5 hotels that share the same area, you can use all the facilities of the other resorts except the Palace, the pool was great to spend a couple hours in but the beach in this area is probably the nicest around because it's in a cove so the water is pretty calm, and the great part about the beach is the size of it, plenty of lounge chairs and the sand is like powder, absolutely beautiful.

The kids water park was great for my 4 year old son, even my 11 year old daughter enjoyed it, it has small slides and it's very shallow so safe for the little ones, the main pool is pretty large, 2 great swim ups and a bridge that crosses over to the beach so you don't have to walk around the pools, the pool bars even have self serve beer taps and if you want a simple drink just go into the restaurants and mix up your own coca libre or screwdriver, etc..

Food was good enough, plenty of room in the buffet restaurants, didn't feel too busy like some other "family resorts" in the area, the food was always hot and plenty of choices if you have little ones, my kids loved the desert section, tons of cakes and ice cream with plenty of fresh fruit.

The grounds are amazing at all 5 resorts, lots of walking but they do have a cart that will take you anywhere you want to go, this came in handy with my 4 yr old. And the staff here are really friendly, most speak English and they really pay attention to the kids, adults too but they really took to my kids, and when we wanted to be left alone they were more than happy to move along, I know it's their jobs but some of them can cling a bit too long lol, but nice people.
Oh and yes like most front desks they are a bit jaded, I guess people are always trying to upgrade or something so they seem impatient , which is annoying since you paid good money to be here, but they do their jobs they're just not as friendly as the other staff.

And the rooms here are defiantly nicer than the Beach/Caribe resort but we didn't spend much time in our room but it was comfortable and we had no issues with showers or AC, and pillows were not great but good enough, just have an extra margarita and you'll sleep like a baby.

Anyways my wife and kids and I really love the Barceló resorts, this is our 3rd time at a Barceló and second time at one of these 5 resorts in Playa Del Carmen Area and we know that we will be back again soon, maybe without the little ones next time lol, and spend the extra and stay at the Palace.

Room Tip: Like most people say, bring a travel mug so you don't have as many trips for drinks
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank athirstytraveler

Dear athirstytraveler,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical l, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

We are glad to know you have encountered many good things at the Resort, especially that you think our staff is fantastic. We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

athirstytraveler we hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Best Regards

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We got in on 8/28/13 after a long 3 hour transfer from the airport.
This was our 9th trip to this Barcelo', though we have always sayed at the Caribe/Beach - which has, IMHO, the best beach in Mexico. Our 'upgrade' was based solely on the price at booking - same price as we usually pay from Denver to the C/B side for a week. We have been going here since 2000 and if we had known the 'cheap seats' beach was closed we might have gone elsewhere.
Anyway - the weather kinda sucked - rained more than usual. Not the hotels fault. The pools, as always, were clean, plenty of food, but no better, or better service than the B/C side - only plus was the air conditioning in the buffet...one. Our room was on the north side of Veracruz facing the jungle with a noisy service road on the other side. There were no washclothes in the bathroom and we had to call to have them delivered - there was a bottle of wine for my birthday, but on Friday it disappeared. We couldn't get the beverage service kid to leave more than 2 beers, even after leaving him tips and notes, in Spanish. On Friday nite my wife complained about this and the wine going poof & they said it would be replaced...Nada...they did leave a 6-pack of beer - woohoo - pay $2 grand and you can sit under a keg with a hose in your mouth - that's ok, but wanting beer in the room to drink while watching it rains is going to break the bank...? He was plain rude and walked out on me when I asked why our wine had disappeared. We also had to run down the maid to get toilet paper when we ran out - they never did bring any new washclothes - just kept taking the ones we had - yet they left the used towels.
The beach on this side sucks - rocks everywhere so wear shoes! The specialty restaurants service was good, but the food wasn't - the lobster was overcooked (better than raw), the New York steak was & fatty but good, but soaked in salt - as was the Filet I had on Monday, but at least it was Medium as I requested.
Maybe it's just how good our 1st 3 trips here were, but after 14 vacations in 13 years, to 5 different resorts it just seems that all you had better be after is a nice pool and a place to sleep, very little available on their 'Satellite TV' and enough to eat...because thats all this really seems to be nowdays is a Motel 6 with a nicer pool, worse housekeeping, more surly staff (except the guys at the pool bar) and the fact that it's not being at work...I think next year we'll go camping instead - at least I always bring the beer!

Room Tip: stay on the Beach/Caribe side and upgrade to a pool/ocean view room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vacations1st

Dear Vacations1st,

We would like to thank you for the great explanation of Barcelo Maya Tropical you have written; we really appreciate your time, thank you for mention so many details for our future guests to make their stay easy! Your comments are very important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We look forward to welcome you again thank you very much for your comments.

Warmest Regards.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

maya tropical is an excellent resort. I have stayed at several in the mayan area and so far this is the best. Food was good. location was great, in betwwen tulum and playa del carmen,so a ride either way was easy. Snorkeling at the beach we saw turtles and rays and lots of fish. The ocean bottom has alot of coral,so water shoes make it much more enjoyable. Lots of activities,kayak sailing etc. Take a free lesson and you can take out the hobie cat sail boats , its a blast. This is a large resort ,however we did not find it crowded, and I am one of the first to hate a crowd.
The one thing I did not like was the bedding in our room felt like rubber sheets,which some may enjoy (not judging) but we did not like. If you just want to stay at the resort there is lots to do ,but if you leave every day to do somthing as we do the location is great , walk 5 min to the hiway and grab a collectivo to whereever your going. Across the hiway from the resort there is a series of cenotes . we walked into one about 20 min walk, pretty rustic but interesting,and we were the only ones there. Expect to pay . The barcelo has 4 resorts on this property with the tropical being the 2nd best.You have access to the lower two but not the #1. I felt the tropical was a good choice even though it was not the most expensive. No matter which of the resorts you get the beach will be great.

I would return to this resort .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eddiebraun

Dear Eddiebraun,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on sheets issues to improve them.

We look forward to host you again with your family and friends!.

Warmest Regards to Terrace, Canadá!.
Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed eight days and it was fantastic! The restaurants and buffets were great, lots of selection. The staff was very helpful in booking excursions. The activities during the day and at night were fun. The sun and drinks plentiful. The room was clean. I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say! We are already planning our next trip for May!

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Bakerfamalee,

It’s been an honor that you have chosen Barcelo Maya Tropical for your hollidays, we are very proud to know you have taken the time to write this review. We really appreciate it !!
A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities.

Once again we thank you for sharing your Barcelo Experince!!!

Warmest Regards.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

WORST FRONT DESK SERVICE EVER!!! EVERYTHING IS MANUAL (like pen a paper control), the employees are not well trained and don't know what they are doing. Some of them are really RUDE and DISHONEST.

The problems started when I entered the Deluxe Room: loose toilet seat, clogged sink, window mosquito net falling apart.
Then we decided to upgrade the room to a Junior Suite Room to get away from the room issues. That was really a bad decision (although the room is good) due to the front desk services. They upgraded us from Tropical to Caribe, but we had three issues:
First, they gave me the wrong room keys and I went to an occupied room (!!!) with people inside.
Second, they didn't change our bracelets to Club Premium.
Third, they didn't tell us we had the right to use Premium Services and what the services were.
After some days on the new Premium Junior Room, someone from the help desk called us and wanted to change our room (because they said they needed to run some work on the other room beside our room). I realised it was a lie to put someone else in our room (as the other room kept busy during all our stay), so I said NO WAY.
At the pool area, the problem was poor drinks and hot beer (if you don't offer the waiters tips, they would provide you real BAD SERVICE, even if you're Premium client). Moreover, one of the days I was swimming with my children at the pool and there was a couple having sex at the pool during light day (!!!!!!), nobody didn't do anything. THAT WAS REALLY BIZARRE, as this is NOT an adults only resort.

My father also stayed with his wife on the hotel, she hurt her foot and the lifeguard wanted her to pay (tip) for a curative (!!!!!!!!).
Moreover, when he checked out, he paid the bill using US Dollars and the clerk wanted to give the change in Mexican Pesos. He said no way and they started an argument!!!! He asked the clerk to call the front desk manager but the clerk said no, so my father said he was not paying the bill if the change was not in US dollars, that was the only way to get the chance back in US dollars!!!!

The only two things I would rate as 10/10 were the restaurant and the room services.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Marcio B
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2016

Dear Marcio B,

We thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Barcelo Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities.
sorry for all the problems you had during your last stay, we hope we can give the opportunity to have your visit to strive and to change their perspective.
Marcio B, Once again thank you very much for your comments,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!