“Not really an 'Upgrade' from Beach/Caribe”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We got in on 8/28/13 after a long 3 hour transfer from the airport.
This was our 9th trip to this Barcelo', though we have always sayed at the Caribe/Beach - which has, IMHO, the best beach in Mexico. Our 'upgrade' was based solely on the price at booking - same price as we usually pay from Denver to the C/B side for a week. We have been going here since 2000 and if we had known the 'cheap seats' beach was closed we might have gone elsewhere.
Anyway - the weather kinda sucked - rained more than usual. Not the hotels fault. The pools, as always, were clean, plenty of food, but no better, or better service than the B/C side - only plus was the air conditioning in the buffet...one. Our room was on the north side of Veracruz facing the jungle with a noisy service road on the other side. There were no washclothes in the bathroom and we had to call to have them delivered - there was a bottle of wine for my birthday, but on Friday it disappeared. We couldn't get the beverage service kid to leave more than 2 beers, even after leaving him tips and notes, in Spanish. On Friday nite my wife complained about this and the wine going poof & they said it would be replaced...Nada...they did leave a 6-pack of beer - woohoo - pay $2 grand and you can sit under a keg with a hose in your mouth - that's ok, but wanting beer in the room to drink while watching it rains is going to break the bank...? He was plain rude and walked out on me when I asked why our wine had disappeared. We also had to run down the maid to get toilet paper when we ran out - they never did bring any new washclothes - just kept taking the ones we had - yet they left the used towels.
The beach on this side sucks - rocks everywhere so wear shoes! The specialty restaurants service was good, but the food wasn't - the lobster was overcooked (better than raw), the New York steak was & fatty but good, but soaked in salt - as was the Filet I had on Monday, but at least it was Medium as I requested.
Maybe it's just how good our 1st 3 trips here were, but after 14 vacations in 13 years, to 5 different resorts it just seems that all you had better be after is a nice pool and a place to sleep, very little available on their 'Satellite TV' and enough to eat...because thats all this really seems to be nowdays is a Motel 6 with a nicer pool, worse housekeeping, more surly staff (except the guys at the pool bar) and the fact that it's not being at work...I think next year we'll go camping instead - at least I always bring the beer!

Room Tip: stay on the Beach/Caribe side and upgrade to a pool/ocean view room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vacations1st
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2016

Dear Vacations1st,

We would like to thank you for the great explanation of Barcelo Maya Tropical you have written; we really appreciate your time, thank you for mention so many details for our future guests to make their stay easy! Your comments are very important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We look forward to welcome you again thank you very much for your comments.

Warmest Regards.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

maya tropical is an excellent resort. I have stayed at several in the mayan area and so far this is the best. Food was good. location was great, in betwwen tulum and playa del carmen,so a ride either way was easy. Snorkeling at the beach we saw turtles and rays and lots of fish. The ocean bottom has alot of coral,so water shoes make it much more enjoyable. Lots of activities,kayak sailing etc. Take a free lesson and you can take out the hobie cat sail boats , its a blast. This is a large resort ,however we did not find it crowded, and I am one of the first to hate a crowd.
The one thing I did not like was the bedding in our room felt like rubber sheets,which some may enjoy (not judging) but we did not like. If you just want to stay at the resort there is lots to do ,but if you leave every day to do somthing as we do the location is great , walk 5 min to the hiway and grab a collectivo to whereever your going. Across the hiway from the resort there is a series of cenotes . we walked into one about 20 min walk, pretty rustic but interesting,and we were the only ones there. Expect to pay . The barcelo has 4 resorts on this property with the tropical being the 2nd best.You have access to the lower two but not the #1. I felt the tropical was a good choice even though it was not the most expensive. No matter which of the resorts you get the beach will be great.

I would return to this resort .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eddiebraun
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2015

Dear Eddiebraun,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on sheets issues to improve them.

We look forward to host you again with your family and friends!.

Warmest Regards to Terrace, Canadá!.
Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed eight days and it was fantastic! The restaurants and buffets were great, lots of selection. The staff was very helpful in booking excursions. The activities during the day and at night were fun. The sun and drinks plentiful. The room was clean. I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say! We are already planning our next trip for May!

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Bakerfamalee,

It’s been an honor that you have chosen Barcelo Maya Tropical for your hollidays, we are very proud to know you have taken the time to write this review. We really appreciate it !!
A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities.

Once again we thank you for sharing your Barcelo Experince!!!

Warmest Regards.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

WORST FRONT DESK SERVICE EVER!!! EVERYTHING IS MANUAL (like pen a paper control), the employees are not well trained and don't know what they are doing. Some of them are really RUDE and DISHONEST.

The problems started when I entered the Deluxe Room: loose toilet seat, clogged sink, window mosquito net falling apart.
Then we decided to upgrade the room to a Junior Suite Room to get away from the room issues. That was really a bad decision (although the room is good) due to the front desk services. They upgraded us from Tropical to Caribe, but we had three issues:
First, they gave me the wrong room keys and I went to an occupied room (!!!) with people inside.
Second, they didn't change our bracelets to Club Premium.
Third, they didn't tell us we had the right to use Premium Services and what the services were.
After some days on the new Premium Junior Room, someone from the help desk called us and wanted to change our room (because they said they needed to run some work on the other room beside our room). I realised it was a lie to put someone else in our room (as the other room kept busy during all our stay), so I said NO WAY.
At the pool area, the problem was poor drinks and hot beer (if you don't offer the waiters tips, they would provide you real BAD SERVICE, even if you're Premium client). Moreover, one of the days I was swimming with my children at the pool and there was a couple having sex at the pool during light day (!!!!!!), nobody didn't do anything. THAT WAS REALLY BIZARRE, as this is NOT an adults only resort.

My father also stayed with his wife on the hotel, she hurt her foot and the lifeguard wanted her to pay (tip) for a curative (!!!!!!!!).
Moreover, when he checked out, he paid the bill using US Dollars and the clerk wanted to give the change in Mexican Pesos. He said no way and they started an argument!!!! He asked the clerk to call the front desk manager but the clerk said no, so my father said he was not paying the bill if the change was not in US dollars, that was the only way to get the chance back in US dollars!!!!

The only two things I would rate as 10/10 were the restaurant and the room services.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Marcio B
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2016

Dear Marcio B,

We thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Barcelo Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities.
sorry for all the problems you had during your last stay, we hope we can give the opportunity to have your visit to strive and to change their perspective.
Marcio B, Once again thank you very much for your comments,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were booked at the Caribe and updated on arrival to the Tropical. I was a little disappointed at first because I love the beach at the Beach/Caribe part of the resort. Our check-in was very easy and the people at the desk were very courteous (thank you Barcelo for correcting a problem that so many people complained about!) We were on the first floor of the Yucatan building, all the way in the back near the open air bar. This was not a problem for us because the grounds are so beautiful, we never mind walking anywhere on that resort. Our room was a standard room....very clean, a bit musty smelling (not uncommon in tropical locations) and a bit outdated (no flat screen tv). We don't really care about a fancy room as long as it's super clean and our room was kept perfectly the entire time we were there.
My husband turned 48 while we were there and I had emailed the resort prior to going, so when we arrived there was a knock on our door with Champagne, tequila and a birthday cake! It was such a nice surprise...my husband loved it!
So here goes the review:
The food: Again, we never even went to the specialty restaurants because my husband didn't want to bother with long pants and shoes. Neither one of us is a picky eater and we always found something good to eat. Actually, many times we thought the food was great. The wait staff is so attentive and nice, I don't know how people can complain about them at all.

The beach: We went snorkeling every day (brought our own gear) and saw turtles, rays and all kinds of beautiful fish and coral. The water was calm almost every day and clear turquoise. It was so beautiful, I don't have words to describe it. I walked the entire beach and back every day for exercise and each time noticed something new. We NEVER had trouble finding a lounge chair.

The pool: Again, very clean and refreshing after the beach. The pool bar has a short wait, but the drinks were always good and bartenders always friendly.

The grounds:
What can I say? They are simply immaculate and stunning. Anyone who complains about walking has to be crazy. It is a pleasure to walk anywhere on that resort.

The gym: My husband and I tried to go to the gym everyday, but only went 5 out of the 9 days! It is definitely worth going to, they have decent equipment and it's really clean. Very hot, even if you go first thing in the morning, but you feel better about yourself after you do it!

Entertainment: Barcelo, you must work on this! OMG....my husband and I died laughing every night!! It is so bad!! The best entertainment we saw was the intermission where they played a video of a live Sting concert! We don't really care so much about entertainment because after a day of snorkeling, eating/drinking and sun, we were sleeping by 10 pm most nights!

Overall we had a fantastic vacation. We took the collectivo to Playa del Carmen and Akumal. 3.00 dollars each way and we felt totally safe. We met several people on the way and one person told us about the best places to spot sea turtles in Akumal. I would highly recommend using the collectivo instead of paying for taxi's or excursions. For us, Playa del Carmen was a waste of time. I don't like people shouting at me to buy stuff, I'd rather just look around. Akumal on the other hand was AMAZING and not to be missed!

We are already planning our next vacation Barcelo Maya! Next time we go, we are hoping the Beach/Caribe renovations will be done and we can go back to our favorite beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank missingmyerica
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2016

Dear missingmyerica,

We thank you for having chosen Barcelo Maya Tropical for your holidays. We are glad to know you found the resort clean, room and food good as well as the rest of facilities. We invite you to meet new hotel facilities and new areas of entertainment.
We look forward to host your family again in the future.

missingmyerica Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Grounds are beautiful,food is good but not great.try getting a room away from the theaters,the noise level can be annoying. The pools are great, very clean. The beach looks gorgeous, but dont let it fool you,plenty of rocks. So,my only complaint is the beach and jetski rental staff because they rush us to get on the jetski while having to walk past rocks to do so,daughter got cut,got stitches,doctor on premises charge to refer to hospital,hospital bill in the 4 digits (us dollars) and wait was half a day to get treated. Sum it up, becareful on the beach!!!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear superdexteroo,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

We are glad to know you have encountered many positives at the Resort’s facilities and services, We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

Superdexteroo, I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have just got back from the Tropical and we had a fantastic holiday. The flight from Gatwick is long and the lines in immigration at Cancun moved slowly - but once we were at the hotel it all was worth it. Check in was fairly quick and the bags were in our room within 10 minutes. It was just about dinner time so we made our way down to the buffet where we had most of our meals over the next 2 weeks.

In general, the breakfasts were out of this world and the other 2 meals ranged from very good to excellent. The staff (and this is true for everyone there) were very helpful and pleasant. One individual would show you to your table and another would introduce themselves as your waiter and take orders for water and other drinks. On the couple of occasions when there was a few seconds delay, it was only a walk of about 10 seconds to get your own drinks if you wanted. There was a good selection at all meal - though I have seen better and we never went hungry.

The sun beds were plentiful, both on the beach and round the pool - but shade (which was fixed covered areas) was sometimes at a premium after lunch in the 'worst' of the heat. The pool was fantastic, but there were times when the cleanliness let it down with the odd cup etc in it - though that is mostly fault of the guests. All the bars, including the pool bar, were staffed by cheerful individuals who could not do too much.

The beach was good, once you learnt that there were a couple of areas of rock to avoid and it was probably the best snorkeling that we have ever done. I have loads of photographs of colourful fish, rays and turtles and it was a must every day. The turtles ranged in size and friendliness - some ignoring you, some rushing away and one that seemed to want to play and headbutted the camera a few times. We saw a huge variety of sea life in what was usually really flat conditions. The best of the snorkeling is in front of the Palace, where even if there was a bit of a swell was protected by the reef.

We went diving just the once and Michael and David were very professional and I would recommend it to all.

We had a little bit of rain, but it was usually hot. We went to Chechen Itza and had a remarkable time and we swam with the dolphins at Delphinus which was out of this world. My daughter and I had an unexpected trip to the local hospital when she bumped her head quite badly and I want to thank all the hotel staff that looked after her, particularly Diana.

So, back to the title of my review. Most reviews of this hotel are positive - but there is a hard core of those trying to drag the place down. Did they go to the same place? Pleasant staff, pleasant surround and good food and drink - what more could they do? The rooms were very slightly musty, but you are in the tropics and it is very humid. If you don't want tropical conditions go somewhere else. Possibly not the best holiday we have ever had - but right up there and we would happily return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank andy.priest

Dear andy.priest,

Thank you very much for your comments, which are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs, we really appreciate you are sharing the phenomenal time you expend at Barcelo Maya Tropical.

Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

We look forward to host your again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#68 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!