“Loved it!”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Sammamish, Washington, United States
“Loved it!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed for a week with two kids. Some of the negative reviews were concerning, but we took a chance as it came highly recommended by a friend who stayed here last year.

The resort is about 1 hour by cab from Cancun airport. We booked the airport transfer using USA Transfer - as recommended by my friend. They had to be paid in cash, but was prompt and safe.

The resort is huge, and it takes a few days just to explore everything within the resort. There are five resorts here, going from the least expensive (beach, caribe), intermediate (colonial, tropical) and the best one (palace). Palace was sold out, so we got tropical. The guests in the better resorts can use the amenities in the lesser ones, but not the other way around.

All food and drinks are paid for including the tips, but it is a good idea to tip anyway. Daily buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner is excellent. You need to make reservations for dinner in the restaurants - you get a few coupons based on your length of stay. We din't have problems with reservations. However the service/food there was below our expectation. We ended up not using one of our reservations.

The older reviews helped us set the correct exceptions on service/staff. I found that they were nice and friendly. Some of the staff i think are a bit reserved, they were not being rude, that is just the way they are. By the end of our stay, some of the restaurant staff knew me by name and also knew what to bring me!

Tropical : Expect to do some walking, as the pools are near the beach and the restaurants are near the lobby. Our room was on the second floor, almost in the middle, we found this to be ideal - short walk to the pool as well as to the restaurants and shows. The walk ways from the room to restaurants are covered, so you don't have to worry about the sun/rain.

The pools are large and well maintained. Sign up for activities, there is something going on every day. There are shows every night, we went to the circus show which was nice.

We took the segway ride as well as an ATV drive to a ceynote near the resort. Both these activities need to be booked, and there is an extra charge for these. The kids loved the ATV ride as well as the segway tour.

You can make reservations to other activities from the hotel. We took the one day Xel-Ha/Tulum tour. We reserved a day trip to Chichen Itza using Yuca Treks, as the tour offered from the hotel was slow and reached there only by noon.

Room Tip: Don't miss the ATV and Segway tours. Take a trip to Chichen Itza, visit Xel-Ha as well if you h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank sdasan
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, March 7, 2016
Dear sdasan,

First of all we would like to thank your preference to Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, we want to tell you this Complex has been refurbished on the past year and we know you would enjoy another holiday here at Barcelo Maya.
Best Wishes,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We traveled with my two kids, 18 months and 3 1/2 y and the two grandmothers: it was fantastic!
Great people, great place for the children, the beach is nice, fewer rocks than othe hotels near, great waves!

Shows and activities for kids day and night.

The only unfortunate thing was that the bathroom lack a dedicated space to change babies in the men's room: fathers take care of children you know! a little disappointment there.

The rooms are somewhat less isolated from the noise around that we could hope, but it doesn't keep you from sleeping.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, March 6, 2016
Dear MimiMAD,
We have read your opinion and really appreciate the valuable time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay. We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality. We want you to know the rooms now are isolated from the noise due to we put a special plastic in the room’s doorways. The Resort has improve its facilities and children – teenagers have their ONE disco, they can also splash around safely in the kid's pool and enjoy their own U-Kids Spa. Once again thank you very much; we look forward to see you!
Best wishes,

Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have stayed in the Caribe and Beach, but the Tropical is by far the best out of the 4 "regular" sections (the palace is like a separate resort on its own). The beach is cleaner and softer (a large portion of the resorts beach is filled with crushed shells and rocks, including the Palace beach) and the pool usually has a more relaxed vibe (the Colonial is full of small children and the Beach/Caribe is like a frat house). It's a short walk to the market/shops at the Colonial and to the Palace if you will be eating at their restaurants. Staff is excellent and buffets are enclosed and air conditioned (a plus if its raining or extremely hot).

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank corinne200
Dear corinne200,

Thank you so much for your past visit, we hope you come back to Barcelo Maya Tropical because its facilities had been modified, there are new pools, paddel and tennis courts, Shoping Mall, Water Parks, Minigolf and plenty of activities for you to enjoy.
We remain at your service,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical from May 18-27. We were travelling for my sister in law's wedding with a group of about 70 people (20 of them being kids) The trip down to the resort was good. The transfers weren't a problem at all. our group had a mix of the premium upgrades and the regular rooms. We opted for the regular "supreme" room.

I should tell you that this is only my second time to an all inclusive resort. The first trip was to Cuba at the Iberostar Varadero. Our experience at the Iberostar was great, but I had heard a lot of people saying that a 5 star in Cuba is like a 3 1/2 star in Mexico. The Maya Tropical is a 4 star resort, so I was hoping that my expectations would be met.

We stayed in the Veracruz building on the ground floor. The humidity was unbearable, and almost so much that our sheets and bedding seemed wet. The beds were not comfortable at all, and we had a couple of pillows that smelled like stale water. Our mini fridge did not work at all. We had heard from some of the other people in our group that they had a similar problem. Our room itself was nice. Lots of space, and a nice little deck. We faced green space, so no people walking by our room. I should note that if you book an "oceanfront/oceanview" room...there is no such thing. All the buildings on the Tropical and majority of the resort are set back from the beach, and you only get a partial ocean view from the 3rd floor. The upside, the Veracruz building is close to the pools and swim up bar/grill.

We travelled with our two kids, ages 4 1/2 and 15 months old. One of the major perks that we liked about the resort was the amenities for the kids. There is a fantastic water park with slides for all the kids, and a great kids club that have activities planned all day for the kids. I felt totally safe with leaving my 4 1/2 year old son there, and he wanted to go every day.

Because of the weather, and how hot it was, I didn't stay out in the sun too long with my 15 month old. thank god for air conditioned rooms! However, my husband did hang out by the pool with most of the people from our group. His biggest complaint was the service at the swim up bar. There are only two guys working, and they are both fairly slow. By the end of our trip, most of our group was unimpressed with the bar.

The food was good. We didn't go to any of the a la cartes, just because its easier to do buffet with the kids. Fast food, and if they don't like it, we can pick something else. The meats/cold cuts/ cheeses, breads, and main dishes were good. After a couple of days, the buffet did start to get old..but it is what it is. They have a separate little buffet area for the kids. Their menu didn't change all that much, but the kids liked it. The staff was touch and go. My suggestion is that if you find a waiter/waitress that gives you good service, stay with them and in their section for the remainder of your trip. My two gripes would be that the drinks and drink names that you get at the bar in the pool, should be the same in the buffet area. A couple of times I ordered a drink, and it came back differently than what I had received before. The other gripe is that I wish the staff knew more English. Not to sound petty, but it helps if they comprehend what you are telling them.

Overall, the resort was good. Nothing special, nothing bad. We have said that the major differences between the Iberostar and this resort was the staff and the service. THe entertainment staff at the Iberostar seemed to engage the guests more, and had more "shows".Here, not so much. Sure they did have water aerobics, etc, but nothing special. As well, the staff is polite and will always say hello to you when you walk by, but there was this underlying feeling that they hated being there. Hard to describe, but more of a moral issue. I had a couple of issues with the front desk with a few things, but nothing that I would rate as horrible.

It is a huge resort. There are 5 resorts altogether. If you want more luxury, I would recommend the Palace. Wear good shoes/flip flops because it's a trip to go from your room, to the beach, to the buffet, etc.

Overall, good vacation, but I don't think we would go back to this resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KTru77
Dear Ktru77,

Greetings from Riviera Maya, we thank you for sharing your personal opinion regarding your past stay, we would be honored if you give us another opportunity to host your family. We have different Bar Manager as well as differences in other areas such new facilities as Spa, kids' spa, Gym, new pools, paddel and tennis courts, Shopping Mall, Water Parks, Minigolf.

Should you need any asistance, we remain at your service,

Thorold, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I and our 3 adult children and there spouses went to this property from May 6th to May 13th. I found the hotel to be very nice looking, extremely lush with a beautiful beach and lovely pools. We were extremely happy as we checked in because we were supposed to be at the Beach side (which is really a step down from the Colonial & Tropical) and found out we had a free upgrade to Tropical because of the construction. That was great, more a la cartes, much nicer bars and better alcohol available to us. Rooms were basic but clean. It is true about the bedding, it is very crispy. It really hurts your skin if you have a sunburn. Other than that no complaints about the room. Housekeeping was good, prompt everyday and we were always restocked with towels and drinks in our mini bar.

The food was good, drinks were good the only thing was that the bartenders were slow and not very nice. We have been to many all inclusives (probably about 14 now) and the bar staff usually have fun with you and entertain you and banter and fool around. These bartenders were not friendly at all. Also the service in the lobby bars was very slow. One night we were sitting in a little area off the lobby bar with cushions on the wicker chairs and the waiteress litterally took them from under our butts and said they were closing in 15 minutes. That to me was a very classless thing to do. We sat there another 1/2 hour with no cushions on the seats.

The entertainment seemed to lack at this resort as well. Many others I have been to have live bands playing at night in the courtyards or lobby bars where people can get up and dance or just drink and scocialize. Nothing here at all. Even the poolside entertainment was very week. The Bahia Principe just down the road kills this place in that department. The only thing to do after dinner is the show which were not good or the club. The club was good, but it is like a huge Toronto club and no socializing is really possible because the music is so loud and it is so dark and smokey from the fog machines.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great time because we were in a large group of family as my sister and her boyfriend showed up on day 4 and surprised us. The hotel is lovely, layed out great with wonderful pools and snack bars situated all along the beach but it just lacked something at night. One of those beach bars should be open 24 hours for drinks and snacks like the Bahia Principe and some other ones I have been too.

Even with the lack of things to do at night and some moody bartenders it is a great hotel. Perfect if you have children. There were also some lovely waiters and employees through out the week so it is very hit and miss.

Room Tip: We liked having the third floor rooms because it is just quiter in general.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cdickson
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, March 9, 2016
Dear cdickson,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on all of departments issues to improve them.
We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this vacation time.
We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Best wishes,

Rome, Italy
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bad reviews? Don' t look at them!!

Very large, beautiful complex is located on a dream beach.

Hotel room was very large, beautiful and thoroughly cleaned every day. The food was varied and tasty.

The hotel complex is taken care of (children and adults) .....

I recommend!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tina B
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, June 12, 2015
Dear Tina B.,

We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments. We look forward to host your family again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Warmest Regards to Roma, Italia!.
Calgary
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical May 18 – 25 with 2 friends. I agree with most of the recent reviews posted here except for the one called “Worst hotel ever – don’t go here”. That review was about it not being wheelchair friendly and I can confirm I saw numerous wheelchairs, crutches and persons with other ailments that were getting by okay. There are hard surface pathways everywhere so access is available to most everyone.

The pools are fabulous, the beach - you can walk along for miles but it was very windy most days (red flags), the food was adequate and the service in all areas but the pool bars was exceptional. They could use more people to man the bars by the pool. I was disappointed there was no pool or beach drink service, and in fact no bars on the beach – you have to go to the pool area or beach restaurant for drinks. I know – it was a real hardship ;)

Of the 4 specialty restaurants we went to the order of preference were Japanese, Seafood, Steakhouse, and then Italian. I went to the front desk on numerous occasions and always had very helpful and courteous service. We went to PDC one morning to shop, and my two friends went to Rio Secreto and enjoyed it on another day.

The rooms were typical resort rooms. Location wise the rooms by the theater are ideal as long as you don’t want to sleep much before 11:00pm; the shows are broadcast very loudly and are over at 10:30. I liked the Colonial side better than the Tropical. It has a 24 hour bar, is steps from the shopping center and convention center, and its lobby bar is air conditioned where as the Tropical's isn’t.

I didn't realize the Barcelo complex was so far from the airport and PDC. My family stayed at the Iberostar complex over Christmas and it seemed better located and I would recommend it over the Barcelo due to its location and the fact it has drink service at pools/beaches. I did find the Barcelo Caribe property to be of higher end than the IB entry Parisio/Beach properties, especially the food. The IB Mayo and Lindo property has slightly better food and more glamorous lobby than the Barcelo Tropical/Colonial. Otherwise the resorts are very comparable with each having the 2 sister entry level, the 2 sister middle, and the one Palace properties.

There is a great kids pool area, and I saw the staff with the little kids during the day and the kids all looked pretty happy and entertained.

Suggestions/ comments:
• Ask for dark beer if you are a beer drinker. It is Corona but tastes better than the light Corona. If you don’t ask for dark they will pour you the regular.
• Also if you like cold beer – don’t miss asking for a drink called Iceberg at the lobby bars; they are fabulous.
• Pools are huge. I saw lots of floats and if you can bring one do so.
• Loved there was no lounge/chair reserving going on. I am usually one of those people who go out at crack of dawn to get a prime location and here there is no need to as there is plenty of palm trees and area for everyone.
• The pool area by Colonial is quieter, and close to the spa and the Caribe/Beach resorts to explore.

I always appreciate the useful reviews I read here so I wanted to offer up my opinion of the Barcelo property. Next vacation will be at a smaller, one resort complex per my family request.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jlocole
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, March 10, 2016
Dear jlocole,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.
You can be sure we are working to improve our service. And we we would like to thank you for the explanation about out our hotel.

Once again Dear Jlocole, We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

Best Regards,

#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#75 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!