“Spring Break with kids!”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed April 11, 2013

BEAUTIFUL RESORT.

Pros:

The grounds,
The beach,
The buffets,
The splash park for kids
The Barcy Park (for kids - SO GOOD)

Cons:
It's a bit of a hike from the airport (1 hour 20 minutes)
The reservation system for the restaurants *can* be confusing. Be persistant.
The SPRING BREAK CROWD.

All in all great, but if you want to relax, AVOID March and the first week of April. Please.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank cre8ivjay
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2015

Dear cre8ivjay,

We really appreciate your review, the Resort has new facilities and we hope you could give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Warmest Resgards,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,918)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We vacationed at the Barcelo Tropical from Mar 26 to April 5th. We traveled with another family. Our kids are 10, 13, 13 and 14. We have all traveled extensively over the last 20+ years to probably about 12 or so different all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean. This one ranked as one the worst.

First of all, let me say it had the potential of being a great place for the money. It had an awesome beach, very nice pools, fairly decent food, comfortable rooms etc. However, the customer service at this resort is seriously lacking.

First of all, the bars were all way understaffed. You would have 2 poor bartenders killing themselves trying to serve everyone. Either they chose to skimp on the amount of servers they want to employ or they don't pay enough and nobody wants to work there? Also, as many reviewers have written, the place was overrun with Spring breakers from the US. There were hundreds of out of control 16 to 25 year olds running around. During the day, it was moreso an annoyance watching all the antics. The bars would be surrounded by tons of kids so it would take forever to get a drink. They would play the same 4 songs over and over. We'd see all these people falling down in a drunken stupor. I think my husband saw 4 different fist fights break out. Mostly about guys hitting on other guys girlfriends. LOL.

It was during the night that really turned the resort sour. They did nothing to control the kids running through the room complexes. They would be yelling, screaming, slamming doors from 2:00am to 4:30am. We would call down every night to get them to send security down. They always claimed someone would be up, but nothing was ever done. We suggested they bite the bullet and either move some of their day security staff to the night or simply get some more people to work during spring break. Post a guard on every floor to patrol during the night. There are only 3 floors in each building so it's not an impossible task. Apparently this is not worth their effort.

Anyways, as I said, I can't see how we would return to any Barcelo resort. Coming back from our vacation more exhausted than when we left is not money well spent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Konkle

Dear Konkle,

Grettings from Barcelo Maya Tropical, we apologize for the bad image taken in your last trip, the Resort has many changes and new facilities, we hope you reconsider and give us another opportunity to host you.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We loved this resort. Huge, which makes it fun to explore different areas each day. Great rooms and beds. Buffet not as good as some others we have been to, but specialty restaurants were fantastic. Wonderful beach and great people. Would definitely return

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank toby349sil
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2015

Dear toby349sil,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.

We look forward to host your family or friends again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Warmest Regards to Michigan!.
Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our first all-inclusive resort vacation. Friends reccommended this resort to us. It is huge, lots of walking, kept us skinny! We went from Jan 29 to Feb 10, 2010. The thing that made our trip exceptional was the entertainment staff - Miguel, Carlos, Sam and the whole team, made the holiday super special for our whole family. My 10 year old son spent hours with the entertainment staff. Spanish lessons, table tennis tournaments, basketball games, etc. As a family we played water volleyball and beach volleyball everyday . We read the schedule and met the guys and girls at the respective times. My 14 and 16 year old girls even got involved with basketball and volleyball, aerobics, and dancing lessons. I do not know if every resort has such attentive and dedicated staff but Tropical entertainment staff really made our holiday. The kids still talk about these guys and miss them. We never got bored with the food. We did pull out the mattress cover from underneath the top mattress. We asked for connecting rooms and that is what we got. Also, the ATV excursion to the cenotes is still a trip the kids talk about. Bar service was mostly great and friendly to the kids when they asked for drinks. Beach was good, we got used to the rocks. Very nice staff at the water sport area too. Wind surfing lessons were friendly and fun. All the Al a carte restaurants were enjoyable. Rooms were cleaned we did tip $2 We used Olympus Tours for transportation between hotel, and airport and booked Xel-ha through them. As this was our first time we really appreciated the meet at the airport (professional and easily recognizable) and the information they provided.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 117charlie

Dear 117charlie,

Barceló Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we deeply thank your loyalty to Barceló Hotels & Resorts, your finest words regarding our Sfaff, service, food, Barcy Club, different activities and tours are always much appreciated.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization.

We would be honor to host you with your family and friends again in the near future.

Warmest Regards to Edmonton, Alberta.
Barceló Maya Tropical

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just recently returned (March 16th to 23rd) from Barcelo Maya Beach Tropical. I had been 3 years ago, with my young son, and had stayed at the Maya Beach BEACH part of the complex, but upgraded this time for the newer, more centrally located facility. Everything was great! Because I had become a facebook member of the Barcelo, when I arrived, I opened the door the first evening to a lovely welcome letter, and an artfully arranged bunch of grapes, along with two champagne flutes and a bottle of champagne. A great bonus!

I love the layout of this complex, many pools parallel the beach, so that you do not have to walk far to make a decision between beach and pool...you can actually bounce back and forth quite easily...and if you are not up to walking back to the main buffet for lunch, there are many 'snack shack' buffets that also parallel the beach...

Did I mention the beach? AMAZING! THis is probably what I love the most about this complex....with 5 sister resorts, and access to all of them (except the food at the Palace) you have tons of beach to explore....all private....no beach sellers annoying you....and lots of room to just pull up a chaise lounge and relax in your piece of the sand or pool.

I you are activity oriented, there are many activities; beach volleyball, aerobics in the pool or the ocean, spanish lessons, ceramic painting (extra $$) snorkelling just off the pier, water sports (if calm waters) really, the things to do are endless.

As I have a young son and am a single parent, the kid's club is a biggie for me, and Barcelo has a great kid's program. Their sign in procedure is very strict, well done, and my son always loved being there. I loved that the kid's club was really close to a great pool, as well as not far from the beach, opposite of what I found at another resort where the kid's club was way up by the entrance to the resort. Easy access to my son (from beach or pool) was a great bonus. The kid's pool also was fabulous, and my son enjoyed countless hours playing there...which is sometimes hard to get from a 7 year old!

You will also enjoy the selection of shops around the resort, and do make sure to go into each lobby as they are slightly different- I enjoyed the Beach resort lobby shops the best, and also the outdoor evening Market every night near the Colonial Lobby.

Taking the collectivo from the resort is pretty easy as well, and Tulum and Playa del Carmen are both interesting side trips you can easily take on your own.

I tried the Spa for the first time this year, as my flight plan had a long layover between local and foreign flight. Toting my carry on for myself and my son, by the time I arrived, my neck/back was pretty tight and with little range. Patrizia at the spa changed all that for me, in a short 25 minute massage, I went from someone who hoped their back would relax, to someone COMPLETELY relaxed. She was AMAZING...and the whole spa experience there was first class. WHen my friend arrived two days later I described how great the massage was, and we ended up getting the longer massages and REALLY loved every minute of it.

The room was well cleaned every day, fridge stocked with anything I requested (that they normally provided) and view was great. (second floor)

Beach/pool towels are easy to access, and they never ran out, and always seemed to have a fresh warm batch ready when they were needed. Money was very easy to exchange at the front lobby counter, and the staff there (and everywhere in the complex) were very friendly and eager to help with anything you might need. As we arrived very early in the morning, they even graciously got us into our room by 11 am rather than the 3 pm regular time.

Overall, this a great complex, and has many many great features that make this a great choice for travellers looking at staying in the Mayan Riviera. If you're looking for a resort with everything...look no further. :)

p.s.- FABULOUS Margaritas!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank beachcomberdixie
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2015

Dear Beachcomberdixie,
Thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Tropical, we thank your kind recommendation to your friends and for the detail description of the property and services, we really appreciate the time taken to write your great review. Thank you for being part of Barcelo at FB.
We look forward to host you again in the future.
Best Regards
gteoperaciones,tropical@barcelomaya.com

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spend the week of March 30th - April 6th at the Barcelo Tropical - a resort that has previously been my favourite Mayan destination. This time it was Spring Break Central! I have been to the Tropical at this time of year 3 other times. While there were some high school kids there they were not overwhelming. This time the resort was completely overrun by drunk, rude, teenagers. The sheer number of them were overwhelming. I saw and heard several things that I did not want to see on my relaxing, romantic holiday including boys urinating on the palms trees right at the pool, several loud conversations about the boys receiving sexual favors from the teenage girls, crying and yelling in the hallways at 4am several nights.
We were unable to take in a show even as kids in the hundreds took over the theatres and were loud and obnoxious - even running onto the stage while the show was on. Did the Barcelo do anything to stop this? No - the got the kids off the stage and sent them back to the bar, while their friends cheered at the fun. Eventually the Barcelo set up tent city on the beach complete with a dj, and several 'characters', blowup Corona bottles etc.... I think that the hotel thought that might alievate some of the problems in the other areas, but it really didn't. All it did was stop me from enjoy the beach.
Now don't get me wrong - I found things that I enjoyed during my trip but I had a very limited area where I could enjoy myself. We spent a lot of time just trying to find a quieter spot away from the chaos. The Barcelo touts itself as a family resort. I felt horrible for the families who were there with young children. I would not want my kids to have to see the behaviours we saw there this week.
There are many things that I love about the Barcelo property but as I can only travel during school holidays I will not be returning nor recommending this resort again.
Shame on you Barcelo!

Room Tip: Do not travel during Spring Break time.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank beach4me42

Dear Beach4me42,
We thank you to take the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor. We take this opportunity to apologize about the problems you experienced at the hotel regarding the teenagers’ behavior.
We take the importance of every comment of our guest in order to improve our selves

Look forward to host you on the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went for 10 days at the end of March with our nearly-two year old and our 4.5 year old. We had stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba last year (just down the road) and that provided a good basis of comparison.
The best things about Barcelo Maya Tropical were: the size (not too far a walk from the beach to the lobby), the waterpark for kids (amazing), the beach, the gardens, the buffets and the rooms.

We had asked for a ground floor room so that we could avoid lugging our stroller up stairs, and were told there was an elevator in each building, so as it turned out the second floor room we got was fine. The resort provided us with a crib, and unlike the GBP Coba where the "crib" was a dingy playpen, this was a nice, new, wooden collapsable crib on wheels! The room met my cleanliness standards and was well furnished. The only problem that I had with the room was that my toddler figured out how to open the door on the first day. The deadbolt opened as soon as the room was opened from the inside, so that didn't solve the problem. We had to use our stroller with locked wheels as a barricade whenever we were in the room with her.

We went to the kids club once to make pirate ships. I stayed with the kids the whole time, but I would have felt comfortable leaving my four year old if needed. The staff at the kids club was excellent - really nice and did a great job with the kids (in three different languages too - spanish, english & french!). We tried to go to the Mini Disco at the Teatro after supper as often as possible, as the kids had so much fun there. The Mini Disco is where the Kids Club staff lead the kids onstage in some games and activities.

The beach is really nice and the waves (for the most part, except on red flag days) were a lot of fun. My husband loves to snorkel and found some spots from the resort (but the excursions were necessary for the really good snorkelling). We also enjoyed the pools, but the highlight of the kids' water time was always the waterpark. There were about 8 waterslides, all totally appropriate for kids 4-11 years old. I could watch my four year old from the sidelines and feel comfortable letting her slide solo. My one year old loved the waterpark too, but it was not a safe place for her. Even the two "baby slides" ended in water that was over her head, so she had to be an arm's length away at all times. Chasing her all over the waterpark was a bit challenging for this pregnant mom! The waterpark would probably be our number 1 reason to return to this resort.

The food at the resort was amazing. The buffets had excellent selections for breakfast, lunch and dinner. At breakfast, the natural yogurt, fresh fruit, and freshly made churros were my favorite. I also enjoyed the Mexican Hot Chocolate. Dinner was a different theme every night and there was always something delicious to discover and enjoy. The kids didn't love the "kids food station" - lots of deep fried stuff there, but we always found good stuff for them at the buffet. The grouper was a nice, tender fish that they enjoyed, accompanied by rice & veggies, pasta, and fresh bread. The ice cream cones were always a hit with the kiddos as well. My only complaint about the buffet - from a parent's perspective - were the high chairs. They seemed to take a long time to come to the table, and when they came, they were often missing a belt. And they didn't have trays. That was one thing I really liked about the GBP Coba - the high chairs had trays that were sanitized and wrapped in saran wrap before each service, and they had kids' plastic dishes and cutlery. At Barcelo Maya, you had to pull your kid right up to the white-cloth covered table, and they were often drinking out of wine glasses and eating with giant metal forks and spoons. One tip - the hostess station usually has plastic teaspoons you can poach for your tot.

We had good and bad experiences at the a la cartes. My husband and I had a "date night" at the Mexican restaurant, and we really enjoyed that. Our group of 10 dined at the Italian restaurant, and had excellent food and service. Our dinners at the seafood, Japanese and steak house restaurants did not meet our expectations. In particular, the food at the Japanese and steak restaurants was really salty.

We found the staff (food service, front desk, and housekeeping) friendly and accommodating enough, but never overly so. The good thing - I never felt like they were shopping for my tips, and even when we left a large tip we did not feel like the service changed afterwards. So tipping felt very discretionary (and not necessary) which was nice. I would see the same staff serving breakfast at 7am and filling the salad bars at 9pm...they work 6 days a week and they work very long and full days. My hats off to them - they do a great job keeping the place running smoothly.

We went during American spring break, a phenomenon I was never really exposed to before. University students everywhere - getting drunk, being loud, travelling in large packs. It wasn't really an ideal environment for a family with small kids to be in. The lowest point for me was when a group of spring breakers "crashed" the Mini Disco activities that were going on onstage. The little kids on stage just looked confused. :(

All in all, though, we had a fantastic 10 days and I would return to Barcelo Maya Tropical again (but maybe not during Spring Break).

Room Tip: If you have a stroller (or wheelchair), no need to restrict yourself to the ground floor. They have...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CDNTripTaker

Dear CDN Trip Taker,
We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical. We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality. We thank you very much for sharing your impressions.

We are happy to know you enjoy the resort in companion of your babies.
We look forward to host you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!