WINNER WONDERLAND

“2nd. time better than first” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Tropical

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Fargo, North Dakota
“2nd. time better than first”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here for 7 days at the end of Jan. 2013. There were 9 of us total and we had a great time. Some of the family members have never been to a resort before, and were amazed at the beauty of the place. The food for some reason was better than we remembered it to be from last year.
You will not go wrong staying here,there's plenty of space at the beach and you never feel crowded. Some of us went snorkelling right off the beach and seen many fish,turtles,and stingrays. No need to go on excursions to snorkel.
We will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Some family members had rooms by the theater that was pretty loud, but the shows would be over by 11...
3 Thank dirod
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, March 14, 2016
Dear dirod,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and recommendations. Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving. We look forward to host your family again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Barceló Maya Tropical
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Polish first
Somerset, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just returned from Barcelo- stayed for 6 days (January 25-31st). We had booked the Caribe/Beach section and were very pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the Tropical section upon arrival.

After spending many hours reading through all the forums here I was a bit nervous about what to expect. There seemed to be a lot of negative reviews? We have a few minor complaints about the resort....but who doesn't?

The hotel grounds were immaculate...felt like paradise! Lush plants/flowers everywhere. Grounds keeping crews were always working to pick up leaves, cocoa nuts, trimming grass etc. Loved all the pools of water and the covered walkways from the buildings. Saw tons of iguana's on the grounds (all different sizes) my 8 year old son loved this.

Beach: Absolutely fabulous!! White sand that seemed to stretch for a mile. Tons of beach chairs available....never a problem to find open ones. There are some rocky areas in the water- bring along water shoes for sure. The beach in front of Beach/Caribe section was much nicer than Tropical/Colonial......could walk out farther into the ocean where the water was waist deep. Went out on the pier several times, always lots of neat fish swimming around. We never snorkeled around the pier....only in the beach part. Bring lots of sunscreen and a hat- got sunburned very quickly even with tanning before coming. Bring your own beach toys as the ones for sale at the resort are very expensive.

Pools: A bit on the chilly side...but we were hotter than heck most times we jumped in so they were very refreshing! Swim up bars were great! Seemed to get quicker service at the bar being in the pool than on the ground side. We had so many different kinds of drinks at the poolside bar...it was great. Alcohol was acceptable- could ask for anything you wanted. We are not big "hard liquor" drinkers so we could not comment on quality....we had no problem getting a good buzz going.

Buffets: Over all pretty good. There was such a HUGE variety of items to choose from that we pretty much had something good to eat every day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Yeah- it's not the greatest quality...but what do you expect when they are serving 100's of people a day. I tried a lot of different things...such as rabbit and lamb etc. Tons of fruit, veggies, salads, bread to choose from. I was a bit disappointed that I could not find any strawberries or blueberries to eat. They are my favorite fruits and I eat them all the time! My husband and son enjoyed most of the desserts (they must have sampled 10 or 12 different things) ....I personally did not care for any of them. I would not say anything was totally inedible.....some things were just not for me. It was nice that they had a kids section too...with chicken nuggets, french fries etc...as we all know kids can be very picky. My son loved the guacamole and chips and he ate tons of that.

Ala Carte Restaurants: We ate at the seafood place and we enjoyed our dinner very much. I had the salmon...which was delicious....my hubby had the lobster....he loved it and I thought it was great as well. My son had the kids dinner (fish sticks/french fries) and he liked it as well. Excellent service here! We ate the steakhouse second and that was not so good. My ribeye steak was plain old gross (tough/fatty)! We are quite picky about our steak (we usually eat filet mignon at home) and my husband had the New york Strip. He said it was not so great either. No big surprise for me...we certainly didn't expect much. We had no problem getting our dinners booked. We actually had 4 nights of meals at the restaurants...but we only went to 2 of the reservations...we either got back to late from day trips or were too lazy/tired to get dressed up. Yes....we were very low key on this trip.

Rooms: We had a double room and thought it was plenty spacious for the 3 of us. The bathroom was nice with a big deep tub and shower. We could not get the sink/shower stoppers to function correctly...but no big deal. There could have been more towel hangers in the bathroom....and or located better...but not too big of a deal. I was very disappointed with the cheap little hair dryer. The low setting was pretty much useless...and the hot setting was so damn HOT that it felt like my hair was about to catch on fire. I could kick myself for not bringing my own hairdryer from home! My hair pretty much sucked (felt dry like straw) the whole time I was there....thank god for hats! The TV pretty much sucked as well. Certainly not HD- nothing in English but CNN news. It was small...maybe a 28" or 30". This was disappointing as I really just wanted to veg out and watch some TV late at night after a long day of walking all over (both at the resort and excursions too). I wish there was a clothes dryer in your room (even a community one would be nice) because it took forever for any of your wet swim suits/clothes to dry outside. We had several very thin tank tops/shorts (quick dry material) and they dried fast...but a thicker cotton t-shirt/underwear took 24-36 hours to dry. This is due to the high levels of humidity...hence a dryer would have been great! The A/C and ceiling fan worked great...my hubby actually got cold at night and we got him an extra blanket. The pillows were ROCK HARD- felt like a bag of cement! Bring your own from home. The beds were hard/firm.....but we prefer that. Loved the tile floors in the rooms.

We did not ever go to the theater or disco...we were too tired by the end of the day. We could never find the mini golf course....no big deal. Plenty of sports activities to do- basketball, ping pong, shuffleboard, etc.

Shopping at the Mexican plaza was OK. Prices are quite high...better deals to be had in Playa Del Carmen. Enjoyed the kids show where there were the staff was all dressed up in traditional Mayan costumes and my hubby got in on a game of "hit the ball through the rock disc" type (don't recall what it is called). Had to leave for a dinner reservation before they lets the kids break open the pinata....my son missed out on that.

All of the staff were very gracious and attended to our every need. Overall we had a great time and would most definitely consider coming back!! Not everything was 100% perfect...but what do you expect?

We stayed in the Yucatan building...room 7444 ground level. I actually liked the ground floor because you could see all the iguana's and other wildlife right there from your patio.

If I forget anything I will come back later and revise my review.

1 Thank Cabingirl2050
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, March 20, 2016
Dear Cabingirl2050,

Thank you very much for the time taken to write your review, our goal is complete customer satisfaction therefore is very pleased to know you encounter many positives at Barcelo Maya Tropical.
Now we have to tell you many things have changed, i.e. new pillows in the rooms, it could be soft or hard. We hope you choose us again in the future.
We remain at your service.

Maynard, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

was upgraded from Caribe when we (a group of 7) arrived for 6 nights, Tropical was great! large open spaces, rooms were clean and kept tidy. Food was good quality, variety plentiful, warm and cold as needed.
we went to Italian, Steakhouse, Seafood, Spanish and French restaurants and enjoyed all very much.
Entertainment was mostly variety shows which we did not prefer, Circus was good, wished there were more music options like piano bar in Colonial (which was only open short hours).
My room mate and I both required to eat gluten free and found plenty to eat. Language issue a little problem when trying to explain "no trigo" (no wheat).
Staff were wonderful always trying to make your holiday better. went diving in cenotes with on-site dive center (great!), and Chichen Itza arranged thru hotel (long day but well-organized). no meaningful complaints this property is stunning and more than we expected. Beaches and pools all great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank kcampl1
Dear kcamp|1,

Thank you so much for your review, our goal is to complete our guests' expectations therefore we are pleased to read your comments regarding past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical.
Let us tell you that for your next visit we can provide a letter in spanish saying "gluten free food required", we hope you chose us again in the future.
Warmest Regards.

michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical January 19-26, my parents and a few of there friends stayed at the Palace. We wanted to stay at the Palace as well, unfortunately it was sold out. However...when we got to the resort we were more then pleased. The property was beautiful and well kept, the rooms were nice, the food and drinks were great. My one and only complaint is that we ordered room service one day and it took an extremely long time and then we did not get all of our food, however this issue was resolved by a manager immediately and our room service charge was removed. On our last day we did not want to leave. I am already looking into planning a trip back next year! I have traveled all around the world and stayed in many different resorts and hotels, and I must say this is by far one of my favorites! Some of the reviews made me a little nervous but I will now say those people are most likely complainers! If you have any questions feel free to ask me! :) If your thinking of going...GO!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank kthomp16
Dear kthomp16,

Thank you so much for share your impressions about the hotel, it is good to know that you enjoy your past stay. The main goal of Barceló Maya is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

We look forward to host you back.

Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 day stay at the Tropical and were very satisfied with this resort for the following reasons:
1. The Beach: Long, clean, flat, white sand. If long beach walks are important to you, this beach fits the bill. Many lounge chairs are available, so we did not have the towel game stress to deal with.
2. The Snorkeling: We snorkeled off the beach every day, including during a rainy day. We saw many turtles, rays, and a decent variety of fish. We saw the people who paid for a snorkel tour getting dropped off and swimming into the area to snorkel. We have stayed at five different
resorts in the Mayan Riviera and this was the best snorkeling we have encountered off the resort beach.
3. The Staff: Their friendly, helpful manner began with check in. We got all of our room requests (king sized bed, floor location) and also were able to switch the room of family members who had not yet arrived. We also used all our dining bookings as well as booking at the Palace in the French Restaurant (the extra $15 per person was well worth it). The person who did this went out of her way to give us all our time requests.
4. The Grounds: Beautiful landscaping, attractive walkways, very clean.
5. The Piano Bar in the Colonial: Good bartenders, efficient servers, comfy chairs, and live music.
6. Big Bath Towels: Seriously, they wrap around easily (we are not big people) and stay in place. We travel a lot and these are nice large towels. And we had face cloths everyday.
7. Location of Fitness Centre: Open air feeling, not in some basement or back room. Natural light, decent equipment. Clean.

The following were just average: The buffets and snack bars were fine but not amazing, but then, this is not the most expensive resort option either. Maybe you get what you pay for! We easily found something to eat though.
The beach bars are average, standard beach bars. The rooms are average. Very clean, but not 5 star decorating. However, we did not pay 5 star prices. We found the bed firm but did not bother to pull out the mattress topper. We slept extremely well, but it could have been all the fresh air and activity. The spa was okay. I had a manicure and pedicure. Nice treatment, good price compared to home, but fairly average.

We would consider returning to this resort if we were looking in this price range and in this part of Mexico. We had a lovely vacation.

9 Thank bc42
Dear bc42,

We really appreciate you have write us on Trip Advisor since this help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation. We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Warmest Regards

gteoperaciones,tropical@barcelomaya.com
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband & I just returned home from a wonderful week at the Barcelo Maya Tropical Jan. 14 -21. Overall we found the resort did not disappoint our expectations. It is a beautiful property with an excellent pool & beach. This is a huge resort so you can find lots of activities if your inclined. If you're traveling with children the kids pool area is impressive, a great family resort.

We arrived late at the resort due to weather delays on departure from home so were very happy with how quickly & efficiently our check-in was handled upon arrival. The only snag was that we had requested a single room with a king bed but got a room with two double beds. They couldn't switch us for a couple of days because of a convention going on so we just went with it for the week. We also bought Internet access for the week for $50 USA. This allowed you to log on one device which worked in our room, anywhere in the lobby building, the theatre and the pool areas depending where you were.

Our room, in the Yucatan building, was directly across from the theatre so from 9 - 11 pm was loud and noisy. It ended up not being a problem as we really enjoyed going to the shows & went every night. Room was decent. Nothing special but was clean & well stocked all the time with pop, juice, beer & water. There was a decent hair blower, bathrobes & slippers. The beds were poor quality mattresses & we tried them both, sleeping together & separately to try to get comfortable. There was a mattress topper under the bed skirt which we put on top of the mattress & that certainly helped a bit. The pillows were very firm foam which we also didn't like.

The buffets were good with some variety day to day. Big negative for us was the house wine was awful. Guess they want you to pay for better wine. We had lunches at the pool grill which we enjoyed. The buffet lines at the grill though were confusing as people lined up from both directions which caused a lot of congestion & butting in. Need some signs. Bar service was good but we found a lot of inconsistency in the drinks. My husband likes rye & coke but was told he would have to pay extra for this??? A first for us at an all inclusive. We went to the Japanese & Mediteranean al la carte's & both were good. The servers were good & did their best to please us.

Pool & beach areas were roomy with lots of chairs. Never had to save chairs which was nice from previous resort experiences & the resort was running full capacity. Was also a nice surprise to not have to deal with local beach vendors, again different from past experiences. The properties are clean and well manicured. Loved all the palm trees around the pool & on the beach.

The evening theatre shows were very good. The musicians & dancers were impressive for an all inclusive resort. The circus night was also very good. Highly recommend going. Can get chilly in the open air theatre so we tended to put on pants & a light jacket for the shows.

There are lots of little shops & a small shopping centre with typical Mexican wares.

We explored the other hotels in the resort & would probably have been happy staying at any of them.

We went into Playa del Carmen by cab which was $43.00 USA round trip. Other than that we didn't do any excursions as we have been to the Mayan other trips & have done those before.

On previous trips to the Maya we have stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach & love it. We found the Barcelo to be a very similar type of resort. If there was a negative at the Barcelo it would be their customer service standard is a bit lacking but we will definitely recommend it to our friends & will look forward to returning again ourselves.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TFD52
Dear TFD52,

Let us start by thanking you for your valuable time expending in write your review on Trip Advisor regarding your last vacation. Thank you very much for your visit to Barcelo Maya Beach Resort. Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.

We look forward to host you again in the future.

TFD52 Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Best Regards,
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

this was a Christmas holiday with a group of 21, ranging in age from 12- adult. we checked in and found out that three families were close together but one family actually in the colonial, we were in tropical veracruz building, we asked to be put all together but they couldnt accomodate that request. Grounds were massive, i mean huge and gorgeous.Really well kept. we all had the " special/premium " rooms that we paid more for that included a few extras but i dont think it was worth it.My room was on third floor with no view of ocean or pool! just basketball court and palm trees. Rooms are good. Great housekeeping, always finished by the time we finished at the beach,i did find the pillow mattress topper between mattress, that was great because you really need it.
Food average. we enjoyed the seafood restaurant the best. liked the atmosphere of the mexican restaurant but food just ok.
Service was efficient but not overly friendly at restaurants and bars. had to look hard for any malibu, which we were allowed because it is a premium drink.
The main complaint of the adults on the group was the wine! the offered wine was almost undrinkable and then the price of the wine from menu was expensive and everyone felt that since we had a Premium room that came with premium drinks that premium wine should be offered. We went to store off of resort bought some wine and looked hard for a corkscrew.

Other notables- nice beach, lots of chairs, gym was great, water aerobics were fun, church service very long, pico de gallo great, shows were mostly below average, liked the lap pool but unable to swim laps after 11 because volleyball net gets put in, never did hear piano player in piano bar, nicely decorated for christmas,
we went to xcaret as a big group. very crowded but evening show gave me goosebumps! highly recommended!

Room Tip: veracruz third floor premium rooms do not have any view, and we could hear a lot of basketballs boun...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank meg58
Dear meg58,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

You can be sure we are working to improve our service. And we we would like to thank you for the explanation about out our hotel.

Once again Dear meg58, We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

Best Regards,

Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
#18 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,815 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!