“Great resort for the $$$”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had a group of five couples that went to this resort for my wife's 40th birthday. Here is my list of positives and negatives for this resort.

POSITIVES:
- The beach is great. It offers something for everyone. The south end of the beach is smooth and all sand, while the further north you get it is rocky and great for snorkeling. The Tropical is in the middle of the resort so you get the best of both. We brought our own snorkeling gear, which made it nice because we didn't have to worry about borrowing some from the resort. There were lots of fish and other creatures around. There are more than enough lounge chairs on the beach and some fun volleyball courts.
- The pools are awesome. While they are a little cool in the mornings (due to their massive size), they are great. The swim up bars are nice (although they could use more staff). They offer different entertainment throughout the day, but it is not so noisy that it's distracting.
- The rooms are large and clean. The only issue we had with the room is my wife's hair dryer would trip the breaker, but the breaker box was in the closet so it was an easy fix. The mini fridge was always stocked with a good selection of drinks.
- The grounds were immaculate. The landscaping was beautiful and we saw a number of iguana just hanging out. They have mini golf, tennis and other activities. I did go for a run a couple of times down the beach front sidewalk, which is about 1.5 miles from the Tropical down to the south end (Beach and Caribe resorts), back up to the north end (Palace resort) and back. It's amazing how fast a run goes when you're distracted by the ocean and beautiful grounds.
- The bartenders are pretty generous with the liquor. The best advice we got before going was to take our own insulated mugs. We took 24 ounce mugs and they would fill them to the top each time. This was great because it meant less trips to the bar and your drink stayed cold. Otherwise it's served in a 12 ounce plastic glass and frozen drinks melt within minutes. We had some couples bring a 52 ounce Bubba Keg! That is some serious drinking. They also have Corona and Corona Dark be taps turned around so you can fill them yourself.

NEGATIVES:
- The food was average. The breakfast was really good. We usually had omelettes (made to order), waffles, fresh fruit smoothies, etc. Lunch was at the beach restaurant and was typically a burger and fries, pizza, nachos, etc. Dinner was always average at best.
- Booking the a la carte restaurants are a pain. It takes forever and they are always booked. I'm sure it would be easier to book for a couple or family of four, but for 10 was nearly impossible. We had two a la carte meals, one of which was at the Palace because it was the only place available. We had to pay an extra $15 per person to eat there and it was the worst meal we had. The only other a la carte we had was at 9:30 because that was all that was available. It was at a Mexican place in front of the Colonial and was pretty good. All in all, it was ok, but I was expecting better.
- The amount of bartenders, and the friendliness of the bartenders, could have been better. They would have two people serving a bar of 30+ people near the pool or in the evening so it would sometimes take 10 minutes or more to get a drink. Even holding money out for a tip didn't get their attention. If you're by the pool, the best thing to do is go to the bar inside the restaurant. You can usually get right in.
- The lounge chairs by the pools are all taken before breakfast. If you want to sit poolside, I suggest you set an alarm for 6 a.m., go out and put down your towels, and go back to bed. That is the only way we were ever able to get seats by the pool, and if you mark your territory before 6:30, you can get the best seats under the covered cabanas near the bar. Unfortunately you always have those rude people marking groups of seats with towels on them that NOBODY ever sits in, but that's true anywhere you go. Just have common courtesy and only get seats you'll use.

The group we were with was all adults. I did see some families with children, but since we went in February, the kids were a minimum. If you do go with a family, I would stay closer to the smaller kids side of the pool to keep your children away from some of the drunks at the bar. There was also a few women who sunbathed without tops, so if you have small children, you might keep an eye out for that as well.

All in all, this was a fun resort. I would definitely go again because the positives far outweigh the negatives. If you're wanting to relax at a nice resort with beautiful grounds, a great beach and stiff drinks, this place is for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the theater. It is pretty loud until 11 p.m. when they finish the show.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jeff K
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2016

DEAR Jeff K

Once again thank you for having chose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your recent stay and really hope to have your preference for your next holidays

Reviewed May 12, 2012

This place was great... the beach was incredible. The entire place is very clean. The food is good and overall I would go back today if I could. We loved it. The Olympus tour people, Jairo and Pamela were the most helpful for us with all of our questions. Thanks you guys. See u next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Susan G

DEAR SUSAN G

We look forward to host your family again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

This place is confusing. There are three Barcelo hotels all next to each other. The front-desk staff, along with most other staff, does not speak great English so, if you pull in late at night, don't expect flawless communication and understanding.

Apparently, this was the kid friendly hotel of the three. However, don't let that stop the booze lovers from staying here because it doesn't stop other travelers! The food is a bit repetitive and not that good in the first place, but ABUNDANT for sure. I assume this is the same in every all-inclusive. And the drinks are free, however high quality alcohol is extra.

Rooms were clean and bathrooms quite nice/ remodeled. The rooms have safes and blasting air conditioning that I could never figure out how to turn down. Therefore, we kept the patio door open and experienced loud landscaping noise every morning. We requested a room with a view, but were far from the beach. The bedding was similar to that of a Motel 6's. The mini bar, with waters/ beverages/ snacks, is included in your fee (which you are reminded of anytime you look at your wristband).

The pool was pretty and clean and the beach is amazing. There is snorkeling in fantastic coral immediately out from the hotel. We attended a wedding at another one of their hotels. The setting was beautiful and "minister" was perfect, but the timeliness and organization left something to be desired. However, for those hoping for a relaxed event, it would probably be fine.

A notice for those of you novice resort-goers like myself: You can use toilet paper and drink the water here. This is NOT really Mexico but instead Vegas with a beach! All that changes once you leave resort grounds, though. But do it! It is worth it the experience.

Room Tip: Top floor, corner room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank COhotelcritic
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2016

Dear: COhotelcritic

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends,
Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

well ... this place is big and beautiful great resort all the way around good food rooms and beach everything was great and no problem i would recommend this resort to anyone

Room Tip: all buildings are 3 storey but they have elevators so no problem
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ajtravelsmex
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2016

Dear: ajtravelsmex

Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities; we thank you very much for the kind explanation of the Resort.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were a group of three who just graduated from university and were hoping for the perfect getaway with a nice beach, great food, and LOTS of activities. Barcelo did not disappoint one bit, in fact it exceeded my expectations. When we arrived to Cancun I had pre-arranged my private transfer (this was my first visit to Mexico and based on reviews i was not planning on relying on the shuttle). But once we got there we made the decision to try the shuttle service provided by Sunwing. I felt kind of bad telling the driver from the private transfer that we won’t be going with him but it was worth the savings and the shuttle service was really comfortable, with AC, and it was also fun visiting all the other resorts to drop off others since you get to see what else is out there. Check-in was smooth, we got the high floor 2 double bed room we requested. It did not smell musty as I was told it would, and the beds were not hard at all so I did not use the mattress topper. Since there were 3 one of us 1 had to sleep on the sofa bed which was also comfortable. I absolutely loved the balcony and the air conditioning in the room. Moving on, the buffets were fantastic. I read a lot of reviews complaining about them and maybe I don't travel often, but I thought they had excellent variety, with lots of salads, cheeses, desserts, MEATS, and stations to get pasta, omlettes, etc. The A La Cartes were okay to be honest I preferred the buffets more since they had more selection and did not involve too much waiting. having access to the colonial lobby was also a plus during our stay which was open overnight with snacks (desserts, sandwiches and drinks). The daily theatre shows were also enjoyable after having dinner. we enjoyed the broad way, battle of the sexes and the circus was great. rest were ok. The beach was probably what made my trip. 2km of shoreline! sandy and clear on the beach/caribe side and rocky near the tropical/palace. The beach grills were also FANTASTIC because of their close proximity to the beach and they had an excellent variety of food almost like the buffets. they had mussels one day which were great. Snorkeling was also great especially under the pier you will see a LOT of fish hiding there. sadly we didn't see turtles but hopefully next time if I visit again. We also did kayaking twice, volleyball, water bikes, and i took a sailing lesson which was no charge. We also hit the sports bar daily which had pool table, poker room, air hockey, and a foose ball(spelling?). To end each night we hit the club on the resort Jaguar's which did NOT disappoint. the music they played was simply amazing (mix of latin, reggaeton, top40, house, and hip-hop). as for excursions we managed to go to Tulum and while in Tulum we visited a beach which was a 20 minute walk and had the whitest sand, turquoise water, and snorkeling. they said blue lagoon was filmed here so it was definitely worth it. it only costed us $30 to visit Tulum, (Ruins + the beach + snorkeling on a reef at the beach which you are taken on a boat with equipment + drinks) a pretty good deal if you ask me. we also did Xplor which was okay but zip lining kind of got repetitive since we decided to do 2 circuits. but the underwater cave and 4x4 was still fun. On our second last day we went to PDC which in my opinion was ok- the souvenirs were too over priced so I didn't buy anything. it was great to see the locals and the city but it was mostly tourists here and vendors. Finally the cenotes were great! they were across the city, only $5, cheaper if you have pesos with you. you will see fresh water fish when snorkeling, not a lot but its really refreshing since the water was clear and not saltwater. TIPS: BRING YOUR OWN SNORKEL GEAR. fins aren't mandatory but bringing your own will be very handy. ALSO take mosquito repellent and spray yourself in a safe area that won't harm the natural environment. and the last tip I can give is the Collectivos. we never ONCE took a taxi even on the ride back from PDC we caught one at 11pm. it's $3 one way and took us comfortably and safely to all the excursions. I don't normally plan visiting the same place twice but Barcelo was an exception with so much to offer. My only complaint was it may not be fitting for those travelling with friends or if you are single since most people there were older, couples, or families. It didn’t bother me too much since I went for activities and the beach. Hope I did not write too much, feel free to ask any questions you may have I'll be glad to help. I took a lot of pictures but theyre on my facebook. Will try to make a flickr one day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach/pools you will save time walking.
6  Thank farhanw
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2016

Dear farhanw,

We really apreciate your visit, thank you for the feeback. We want you to know Barcelo Maya Beach Resort has been refurbished lately. We are sure you will enjoy to come back.

We remain at your service.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

This place is spectacular! The staff is super friendly and attentive. The property is clean and beautiful. The beach area is to die for!! Clean and plenty of chairs and hammocks! This place is the best place to go to relax. Loved it!!!

Only downside: beds are a little on the harder side.

6  Thank sahmed9s

DEAR sahmed9s

Reviewed April 30, 2012

This time we brought our friends and neighbors of 21 years along. We had a blast. Such a beautiful resort and the staff so friendly and willing to make your stay enjoyable. Take time to get to know the staff. They appreciate that you care enought to get to know them.
Beautiful beaches, beautiful pools at just the right temperature. Nice clean rooms stocked everyday with pop, beer snacks and bottled water. Food at the buffet was plentiful and very good. We always found plenty to eat. Entertainment in the evening spectacular as always. Snorkeling and kayaking was great. Took the waverunners out for half an hour and had a blast. Shopped at the Mexicali Plaza and found mayan masks, painted pottery, jewelry and clothing to take home to family. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: I have stayed on all three levels and could not find fault with any room. Yes this time we were clo...
5  Thank MinnesotaOlsons

DEAR MinnesotaOlsons

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#71 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!