Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$238
$191
  • Beachfront
Catalonia Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$360
$174
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
$233
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$195
  • Pool
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$220
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
$277
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$129
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
$400
$333
Bookit.com
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
$459
$349
$501
  • Pool
6,819 results
All reviewsjalisco buildingseafooda la carte restaurantsmini golfair transatother resortsjapanese restaurantplaya del carmengreat resorttropical poolbowling alleykids water parkpalm treesbarcelo mayafamily vacationwater sportskids club
Reviewed March 8, 2009

This is the 5th resort we've been to on the Riviera and we loved it! The layout of the resort is great. Sure, it's a large resort but it really didn't seem to involve too much walking to get anywhere on the resort. I loved that the pool was right next to the beach. The pool bar staff was fantastic. Especially Julio and Marco! That said, if your are a bit pretentious you may find the service at this resort overall slow. It seemed that the resort was understaffed and overworked. Trust me, the staff work very hard to please. I became exhausted just watching them buzzing around a million miles an hour! What I loved best about this resort was the snorkeling. Right off of the beach we saw turtles, stingrays, barracudas and lots of other beautiful fish! It's very shallow quite a ways out so even the most inexperienced snorkeler would be able to enjoy !

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank margoandandy
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2016

Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed March 7, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed ourselves and had a great holiday. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly. Accommodations were very good and clean. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The only concern we had was the lack of service at the pool bars! The resort was full and they did not have enough help serving guests at the outdoor bars. The swim up bars were closed most of the time......The entertainment in the evenings was also lacking. The pools and beach are incredible and you have easy access to everything. Overall a very enjoyable holiday. We would also recommend the day trip to xcaret theme park. Make sure you bring biodegradable sun lotion as they will not let you in if it's not. you have to leave it at the front desk.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KBDKT

Dear Guest:
On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed March 4, 2009

If you can say that this place sucks than you should never leave your home. We are a family with 2 kids 10 and 8 and have been to all the carribean countries and have seen many resorts from 4 to 5 stars. This place is incredible. Food is amazing, service is #1. Never a line up anywhere even though the resort was full. This is not a place for singles or early 20's partiers. Its fairly low key and very elegant. I am personally a very social party kind of guy in my mid 30's and it was great for me and my family. The animation team is very low key as befits a 5 star elegant hotel but other than that everything else is perfect.

The beach is beautiful the grounds immaculate and the food and service awesome. How can you find fault with any of that?

Make sure you visit Playa del Carmen especially in the evening...you won't find a place like it anywhere else.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank zoltarski

Reviewed March 3, 2009

This site was so helpful to me that I thought I would also write a review.

We are a late 20's Canadian couple, and this was our first trip to Mexico. We have only done all inclusive in two places in Cuba before (Holguin & Santa Maria). Maybe the standards are higher in Cuba for all inclusives, but I didn't find the service to be nearly as good in Mexico as in Cuba. This was also a star rating higher than we stayed at in Cuba, but didn't notice a difference. We were told the food in Mexico was better, We found it the same. It was good, no complaints, but I wouldn't call it better. I've worked in the service business before and know that everything isn't always perfect, and it's hard dealing with the public at times, so I usually don't write complaints, but there were two areas about this resort we were disappointed with that I thought I should share for others with the same expectations as we had.

Our main resaon for this trip was a relaxing vacation, but had hoped for a bit more "life" and fun. It was very relaxing which is good. We wanted to avoid spring break hard partying type of places, so that's why we didn't stay in Cancun. I think we went in that direction a little too much, as this is geared towards familys rather than what we were hoping for.

First the good. The resort is beatiful, and HUGE!! It's 5 resorts all together making one large resort when you walk around. The beach is very large, and beautiful with nice white sand and turquoise water. There are lots of loungers on the beach and the pool. The pier and over by the Palace are the two best places we found for snorkeling, with lots of friendly fish. Please note that once you get in the water, it is very hard to walk in, because it's so full of rocks and coral. Just be very careful, as it's large rocks so it is hard to maniouver and even stand up when trying to get out deep enough to swim. There is a place next to the Palace that we found easiest to get in. I didn't expect the amount of rocks & coral in the water when we arrived. Water shoes would be a bit of a help. The water was nice & warm.

The pools and gardens were both really REALLY nice. Very impressive. The gym was really big and well equipped. The cleaning staff in both the rooms and all around the resort as well as the gardeners all worked very hard and did a great job.

The rooms were nice. Not overly huge like we've had in Cuba, but a decent size. The balcony was nice. Probably the same size as a standard hotel room in North America. The lobby was gorgous. The shops in the resort and in the shopping plaze are both REALLY expensive. You'll find much better deals if you go into Playa Del Carmen. We went by taxi with another couple and it was nice. We were a bit weary on getting a taxi for saftey reasons, but everything went fine in the town. If you go to 5th ave, it's a tourist section and there were lots of police around while we were there.

Our main disappointment with the resort was the service and the lack of day "life" at the resort. Firstly, the service at the swim up bar and around the other side at the pool bar was REALLY bad. We once sat at the pool bar for 20 mins without getting served (when there was a total of 8 other people there) and just got up and left. It's really hard to even get served at the swim up bar. If a bar tender does happen to walk by, they usually tell you that you have to go around to the other side to the pool bar to get served. Which means you have to get out of the pool and walk around to the pool bar. There are usually 2-3 people working at this bar, so I don't understand why one couldn't walk down the steps to the swim up bar. I was really disappointed by the lack of service here. We spent most of our time at the pool, so it would have been nice to have staff who were friendlier. Also, it doesn't seem to help if you tip or not, it will not speed things up with serivce the next time. We usually tried to avoid these places as it didn't seem to get better all week. The best places we found for getting a drink was in the pool buffet. The bar tender there is Adrian and he is really good. He's friendly and fast. Also the lobby bar was pretty good too. All of the staff in there was attentive. I just remember in Cuba the bar tenders were so friendly. They would talk to you and never leave you waiting for service. None of the bar tenders here seemed to want to have a conversation at all, and didn't seem friendly either. Which is too bad, because we learned to much about Cuba and their culture just from talking to the staff. We didnt get to do that in Mexico.

Maybe it's just a difference in the culture that causes the difference in service we noticed between Cuba and this resort in Mexico. Again, I say this is our first time in Mexico so we didn't know what to expect. The a la larte restaurants had good service. The buffet sat you quickly, but sometimes they would get you a drink and sometimes you sat there for you whole meal without water or coffee. It almost seemed as they were understaffed for the amound of people that were there.

The second part that we were disappointed with was the lack of "life" during the day. We were not looking for a spring break type of hard partying resort, but this had less than we expected. There was never any music at the pool or pool bar. No day entertainment anywhere. The lobby always had elevator music playing all day. The lobby bar was quiet as well. We didn't make it to the disco, so that may have been good. The shows at night were good. This is a very family friendly resort, so maybe that is why. We expected a bit of day-fun atmosphere but definatly wasn't any. Anyone with kids will love this place as the waterpark for kids was amazing. I wished I could go in it, haha. We took pool floaters we bought at the dollar store and had a balst with them. We gave them to some kids when we were leaving because we weren't taking them home.

We met quite a number of couples ages from their 20's to their 60's, who all seemed to have the same two complaints. Service and Music or Pool entertainement. They also didn't want hard partying but thought there would be more entertainment than there was. We talked to couples who stayed at the Bahia Principale resort which is just down the highway who seemed to think that was a better for all around for service and fun atmosphere. I think if we were to go back we'd try that.

We did a bus tour to Chichen Itza. It took all day but it was AMAZING. Very imformative. No wonder that place has became one of the new 7 wonders. Our guide was Carlos, and he really knows what he is doing. He's great.

If you haven't booked yet, and are looking for the same things we were, then I would recommend Bahia Principale, as that's what was recommended to us by other people who've done both. If you are a family taking a trip, this place is perfect.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mdoane17

Dear Guest:

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed March 1, 2009

Just got back from Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach, and loved every minute of our trip. The hotel, grounds, and pools are immaculate and beautiful; the pool is huge!!! The beach was long and wide and beautiful, although a little rocky right at the water's edge. The snorkelling was impressive, right from the beach, where the reef starts. There are lots of activities if you want to be busy, or just hang out in a hammock by the pool if you want to relax.
The room was clean and nice, although we didn't spend much time there!! I loved the nightly maid service where they turn down your bed and leave a mint and the reading lights on for you. Nice touch.
The food in the buffet was adequate. We really enjoyed the specialty restaurants, where the food quality and selection was much better than the buffet for dinner. After dinner, don't miss the shows. The entertainment staff was refreshingly professional. Overall, the staff was very attentive, and although we speak some spanish, spoke english if needed.
This hotel is part of five Barcelo properties, and while we enjoyed the size, it could be a little confusing for some, or a little difficult to navigate if you aren't able to walk long distances. There is a shuttle to get you around parts of the property, but we walked everywhere, as it seems most guests did.
I recommend going offsite to see Tulum or Coba while you are there. We did both and really enjoyed the experience.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family