Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
$218
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
$233
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$238
  • Pool
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$149
Catalonia Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$223
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
$191
  • Breakfast included
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
$445
$378
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
$425
$333
$516
  • Pool
6,839 results
All reviewsjalisco buildingseafooda la carte restaurantsmini golfair transatother resortsjapanese restaurantplaya del carmengreat resorttropical poolbowling alleykids water parkpalm treesbarcelo mayafamily vacationwater sportskids club
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from the Barceló Maya Colonial, and what an experience it was! He is well-travelled, but this was my first big trip, and it couldnt have been a nicer time. The lobby took my breath away, and the check-in guy was excellent. The room was standard, but we didn't spend a lot of time in there anyway and we did have complimentary tequila, anise and grapes waiting for us. Our AC worked fine, thank God, as the minute you step out of the room the humidity hits you like a wall! (I sweated all week unless we were in the room, the buffet or the 24-hour lobby bar.) The beach was exactly like a postcard...white sands, turquoise waters, palm trees and the water features and pools were beautiful. They keep the entire resort in immaculate condition. I cannot say enough about the staff...oh sure there was the odd one who looked like they would rather be playing like the tourists were, but for the most part they practically trip over themselves to please you! Always smiling, and they always greet you with Ola whether you are being waited on, in the halls or at the beach. VERY friendly people. Tipping is optional, but we always did, and the amount depended on the level of service. Our balcony did face the construction of the new addition to the resort, but once the door was closed, and in the evenings, it was quiet except for the tropical birds which was wonderful. We were there for 1 week and even though we were a bit sad to leave, that really was long enough. We highly recommend this resort, whether you are a family, couple, or whatever. Thank you for some wonderful memories, Barceló and staff!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HappyCanucks2014
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial - Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We look forward to welcome you back soon. We are sure there is more of this beautiful paradise that you can enjoy!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

First - I have been to Cancun and the Riviera Maya many times and this year marks my 30th year visiting Mexico. My 1st trip to the Barcelo Tropical was the week of June 1st 2013 and I recently stayed the week of June 15th 2014 at the Colonial. Last year was a "rain soaked" trip and we had very little sun. But, here's an overview of both trips.

Pluses: 1. In 2013, my building was just behind the soccer field and was a garden view 2nd floor. It was lush, quiet, and the room was very nice. A long walk to the beach every day but was excellent exercise. No issues, and maid service kept it very nice, bed was very comfortable, fresh towels daily, etc.. 2. I love to eat and found this resort had a very good variety of foods, and made-to-order items. The key to good food is Hot, and "all" hot food items in the Buffett restaurant were not warm, but HOT, as I like it. I am very gratful to the chef and managment team. The 4 & 5 Star Resorts I have stayed the past 4-5 years in the Hotel Zone did not ensure hot food and I was very disappointed and complained to the chef and mgt. But Barcelo did well. The staff and waiters were very friendly. And, I visited the Santa Fe restaurant last year and this year, and got the rib eye and the touches, Service was great. I found the buffet waiters and staff working hard and I usually did not have to wait long to have my drink or coffee refilled. And, I visited the bar areas by the pool and the tikki hut restaurants near the pools, and they always had a good variety of hot foods, salads, cold cuts, tec. Once again, this says a lot about the managmenet team. Great job. 3. This year I stayed at the Colonial and my room was just behind the check-in area, quicker walk to the buffett, beach, and checkout. My maid service was excellent, and had a 1st floor garden view room which was lush and tropical. They refilled my minibar daily, had lots of beer, soda, aqua, etc... Everything was excellent. Also this year, I did not have a long wait time at check-in, it went quickly, and I was in my room before knew it. 4. This year I stepped out of the box and bought a day tour to Tulum and Coba. The Lomas Agent (just behind the check-in area) was very professional, didn't pressure me, and gave me good advice. I've been to Tulum many times but not Coba, and was exhausted at the end of the day, lots of walking in Tulum and Coba. And, the mini-bus driver had lots of cold fluids for the day, beer, soda, water. Plus, we went to a quaint restaurant in Coba and had a nice buffet lunch. A perfect day with nice tour guides. It only took about 25-35 min. to get to Tulum and highly recommend it if you love history. Renting a car gives you more off-site freedom and you can venture out, see the sites on your own. My tour cost was $102 for the day and well worth it. If I had to rent a car, pay the entrance fees, buy my lunch, refill gas, etc., it would have been way over $102.

5. This year I found the beach less crowded and stayed in the front of the Colonial Beach and the Maya Beach area (far right side of the horseshoe) vs. the pool. The surf is calmer there, less people, and a great place to read a book under the palms which I did. The only complaint I had last year, was the pool area. It seems the majority of hotels in Cancun have resorted to loud speakers, young hip-hop staff yelling into microphones, and the noise was horrible. I visit Mexico to relax and not hear loud dance music or loud bingo games. Last year was like this as well as the majority of hotels over the years in the Hotel Zone. It was not like this 30 years ago. However, I found this year much more quiet and less microphone dance music. Maybe someone complained to management and I actually played in the pool area more this year. I would suggest to any hotel in Cancun, Please don't think you have to entertain us with loud music at the pool, we can entertain ourselves.

Last, in 2013 when I arrived at the Tropical around 2 PM, it took about 40 min. to check in. People were waiting in line and getting grumpy and I could not check in until 3 PM. They appeared to not enough staff to handle the check-ins. This year was much quicker and I was well pleased.

Overall, I would recommend the Tropical and Barcelo Resorts to couples and families, and think highly of the staff there. I have not visited any resort in Mexico that was 100% perfect, but I was very pleased with this property. The management team is customer focussed. Thank you again!

KM - Alabama

Room Tip: I chose the Garden view for price, and did not have a garden view, but you can't go wrong to picking any - the suites, etc. My rooms were a good walk to the beach or pool, but that was ok. I walked at least 2+ miles daily and was up at 6 AM doing powerwalks on the boardwalk.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Keith M
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial staff involved in your entire satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of your trip.
Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo Colonial room 6356...

we had a great week...this place is very nice and the folks who work there are friendly and helpful....

we were right next to the construction and it didnt bother us at all....with the door closed to the patio you really could barely hear it....the place is immaculate and well maintained....

the food in the Japanese and Steakhouse was very good....the seafood was okay....just not our thing i guess....

the pools are huge and the swim up bars are great....service by the bartenders was good....

the beach is very nice....a little rocky in front of Colonial but other then that its great....the pier offers good snorkeling with plenty of fish to see....

we were there a week and other then Thursday we did not have any trouble finding a chair under shade next to the pools...

on the beach there was more then enough....this place is huge and there are alot of folks but you never really feel crowded anywhere and its so quiet....

the buffett was very good most days and staff is attentive in there....

the shows are okay.....

rooms are nice except for the bed..too hard for my taste..otherwise more then enough room for the four of us.....

i would go back to this place....it met and exceeded my expectations....

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank eposadas

Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising services that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you!
We are sure the next time you visit us, all your family will have a new adventure to tell!!
We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We had 2 rooms. Rooms were clean and spacious. Great service from everyone.
Had meals at: Santa Fe steakhouse, food is good. Waiter is really pushing you to buy the most expensive wine. Kyoto, japenese. You have to ask at the moment of your reservation to be seated around the japenese chef instead of a regular table. Food is good. Service, they don't care about you... Capri, Italian. Good food and service. The best experience of our family. Buffet for dinner is good. Great selection for breakfast. Lunch close to the pool is good. Selection is almost the same everyday. Bar service is good.

Gym is well equiped. It said on the website that there is a mini-golf, it's close. They are building a new complex where the mini-golf was.

Go swim with the fish at the pier

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Peter S
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear guest,
We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Barcelo maya beach colonial is an excellent resort. My husband and I enjoyed the many amenities offered including kayaking, catamarans, wind surfing, tennis and more. We thank Francisco for his help in teaching us to sail and to wind surf. He demonstrated excellent patience in teaching and was very helpful. The hotel staff was always helpful and friendly. Our room was always cleaned well. Our favourite restaurant was the Mexican restaurant at the Maya Beach section to the resort. It was the quietest and most formal restaurant. Our server Josua was friendly and attentive. We were especially surprised by the treatment we got on our anniversary. We got two glasses of champagne and a special dessert while we were out for dinner. Then when we returned to our hotel room there was a bottle of wine with a heart shaped cake for two. We didn't expect this at all, but really appreciated it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sharkleberrypie

Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction, we can assure you that Francisco, Joshua ant the rest of the staff will be very happy to host you again!

Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Best regards,