“paraíso!”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I needed a week to unwind and relax with my hubby and this place was fantastic. We stayed April 9th - 16th and had a room in the Guanajuato block which was well located to the beach and pool.
This resort is huge and you will do lots of walking - this was great for me but I have seen other negative reviews about the walking so be warned.
These are the things I loved about this resort:
Beautifully landscaped immaculate grounds.
Great service everywhere
Amazing beach with lots of palm trees and loungers.
Great buffets with lots of vegetarian options!
Clean beautiful swimming pools

I was worried about eating well here - I have been to several other all inclusive properties and if your a vegetarian it can be hit or miss - but not here.
They have a nice little gym and one afternoon while it rained for an hour we went in and found a nice Jacuzzi and a eucalyptus steam room - heaven.
Several nights we walked down to the Maya Beach and enjoyed their dinner buffet - we also had dinner reservations for the Japanese and Italian but cancelled them because we saw no need to eat in the restaurants since the buffets were more than adequate.
My only complaint was that it was crowded at the swimming pools and hard to find chairs we usually walked down to the Tropical pool to find a chair in the shade. My big gripe is people were saving chairs in the shade and in the sun all day - a family of 3 would save like 7 chairs - really? VERY inconsiderate and not really the fault of the Barceló.
Our room was more than adequate and we didn't mind the firmness of the mattress to be an issue.
This is a fantastic resort for families so if you don't like to be around small children don't stay here -
All in all I would definitely stay here again I got my relaxation and my well needed rest.
My hubby loved it and still talks about all the great ceviche's at lunch and dinner and the fresh seafood not to mention the amazing breakfast items that you would never have at home everyday...
What's not to like?

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ravegan
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear ravegan:

We greatly appreciate your comments, which are very important to us and are the reason to work harder every day to offer the best service to our guests.
We are glad you enjoyed this paradise in the best Resort in the Riviera Maya, with a variety of food, drinks, beach, pools and fun. Please let me know your next visit an I take care of You personally.
We appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.
gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,482)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I like the brand. This location is the largest resort I have ever stayed at… its very big. Good food and value for a sometimes quiet garden view room away from the theater. This time maid service wasn’t great most days our room didn’t get cleaned until late in the day or the made would show up when we were getting ready for dinner. Maybe the slow usual service had something to do with all the crazy and noisy high school students in the rooms around us... Otherwise not bad. The Barceló Beach and Carib have a more sheltered rock free beach for swimming… It’s a five minute walk along the beach from the colonial.

1  Thank Cary R

Dear Cary R:

First of all receive our greetings, feedback from our guest is essential to improve our services and achieve our goal to fulfill your expectations.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful beaches specially "Playa Azul" on the Beach side is one of the most beatiful beach in Riviera Maya.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have stayed at two other resorts on the Mayan Riviera in previous years. We just stayed at a week at the Barcelo Mayan Colonial - and it is our new favorite.

Rooms - The rooms are not large but are well appointed. The mini bar & snacks were replenished every day. The bed was great. The room was nice and clean and was in good shape. The air conditioning was wonderful. We were on the 3rd floor and enjoyed the view of the lush tree tops and birds. The wireless was a little expensive but worked well.

Food - The buffets were quite good. There was lots of choice and everything was well presented and clean. The staff in the buffets were excellent. We ate at the Japanese, Steakhouse, and Italian restaurants. They were all very good. The lamb at the Italian restaurant was memorable.

Pools & Beach - The pools were large, clean and a nice temperature. There was no problem getting 4 lounge chairs (sometimes with a little organizing) together at any time of day. The pool bar was great and we never waited for drinks. The beach (particularly the south end) is absolutely beautiful! The sand is good & there are tons of beach chairs. The snorkeling was only ok, but I think would have been quite good after a couple of calm days to clear the water. The beach staff were attentive and pleasant. If you want to use a Hobie cat you must book in advance - it's best to be there at 8am to make sure you get a booking that day.

Grounds - the grounds are lush and very well kept. They were a pleasure to walk through. It is a large property so bring a good pair of shoes. The tennis courts, gym, and spa are all in good shape.

Lovely resort, great staff, we hope to back soon!

1  Thank JFM44

Dear JMF44:

We are pleased that You enjoyed our Resort with our great variety of food, drinks & fun our beaches are the most beautiful in the Riviera Maya.
Your comments make us improve every day to provide the service you deserve and that You return to this Your Hotel Barcelo Maya Colonial.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Another perfect vacation at the Barcelo Maya. Our family of four including 2 boys aged 6 & 4 stayed in the Colonial section although the Tropical and Colonial are simply mirror images of eachother so it doesn't matter. We payed extra for the Club Premium room this trip which I am not sure I would do again. The room was a bit bigger and it was a prime location but I don't think the extra cost was worth it. Here is a summary of PROS and CONS of the property:

PROS: Gorgeous and impeccably clean grounds, staff is extremely warm and accommodating, large number of options at buffets - even a vegetarian or a picky toddler would be kept happy, LOVED Kyoto restaurant, never felt crowded even though we were there over Spring Break, water park keeps kids happy for hours, pool has a gradual entry section which is great for little kids, lots of trees around pool and at beach so shade is always available, the staff loves kids and always goes out of their way for families, the mojitos are fresh and delicious :), hand made cappuccinos at breakfast are great, fresh fruit smoothies to order at breakfast are healthy and yummy, kids club (ages 4+) has activities all day long and the staff there does an amazing job

CONS: Sometimes getting a drink at the bar takes a while especially during peak times, if you want to get a good spot at the pool you should reserve a spot with your towel by 9:00 AM, the bathroom in our room showed a few small signs of wear and dirt (this is nitpicking because overall the room was very nice and clean), you cannot always get a reservation at the restaurant of your choice (fine by us because as a family we preferred the buffet anyway), dining at the restaurants can be a bit long and drawn out for small kids, the mini bar was not always stocked fully or on time, it was pretty hot while we were there and the room wasn't as cool as we would have liked, bed is not the most comfy but you can request softer pillows at the front desk, an hour drive from airport (a private transfer is worth the extra money)

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are best - allows kids to run around on the grass, the view is better and it'...
1  Thank lilcracker

Dear lilcracker:
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful Resort and thank You very much for your comments, we will pay more attention to these details and of course please let me know your next visit and I take care of You personally.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were there from April 11-April 18 and had an absolutely incredible time! My oldest daughter is a senior in high school and we went there to celebrate spring break with her and many of her classmates. In fact, there were over 120 high schoolers, their families, and extended family and friends. Just in our group, there were 9 which included friends, as well as aunts and uncles. All of us have said we would definitely return to the Barceló (and bring additional family members with us). Yes, we were there during spring break, and yes there were A LOT of teenagers but from what I saw, (I spent many hours at the "party pool" watching the kids) they were having a lot of good clean fun! Yes, many of them were drinking and probably more than their parents would have liked but I never once saw a fight, someone throwing up, or anyone causing trouble. It may have happened in other areas of the resort, however, most of the kids did hang out at the pool. Which by the way, everyone pretty much left the pool area by 7:00 p.m.
I am not sure where some of the complaints of other reviews come from....my only guess is that they are individuals that would not be happy anywhere. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are absolute perfection!! I could spend hours just walking around and looking at the different plant life and animals. The pools, also immaculate!! The beach....well I am speechless about the beach! Breathtaking is all I can think of!
The staff is incredibly friendly and very very helpful. Is there a language barrier? Of course there is....hello....it's a different country! All the staff try very hard to understand what you are saying and are very willing to repeat themselves if necessary. The only thing I would suggest is that you bring along a little patience.....it is as hard for them to understand you as it is for you to understand them....they are HUMAN!!
The room was beautiful! Yes the beds and pillows are hard but not everyone can afford a tempurpedic mattress. Spend the day having fun at the beach and trust me, you will sleep!
The food was delicious! Sometimes the buffet did get a little repetitive but then you can just go to a different section of the buffet and pick something new. There was always so much to try that you could easily eat the buffet at every meal and not have to have the same thing twice!
The a la carte restaurants were good....I think the Italian may have been the best but we also tried the Mexican, the steakhouse, and the Japanese....all delicious! The beach grills also have a wonderful selection of food! The lamb chops are fantastic by the way!
When we arrived, check in went fast...less that 10 minutes (I was actually checking in for 2 rooms and it was still only 10 minutes). We did decide to upgrade to premium junior suite for both rooms....$400 extra for the week (we used a coupon in the discount packet they gave us) and it was definitely worth it! I would absolutely upgrade again! It included free wifi for the week (we had 2 devices going at once for each room) as well as premium liquor, a nicer room with incredible pool view, premium lobby bar where you could get snacks as well as make your own drinks and get premium beer if you wanted. We also would've been able to eat at the a la carte restaurants every night with premium but we were there with others that did not upgrade so we chose to eat at the buffet the other nights.
I had a massage the first night and Sylvia at the spa did a wonderful job!!!
Bottom line, if you want to stay at a beautiful resort, relax, and have fun...I highly recommend Barceló. If you want to be waited on hand and foot and have your drinks, food, and entertainment delivered at every moment to your beach chair...then choose someplace else....to be honest I don't think those individuals would even be happy with that!
Also, if you don't want to be there during any schools spring break time whether it be college or high school, then don't go in March or April. If you can get beyond the fact that 18- 20 year olds are given some freedom at the resort and accept the fact that they will be drinking, then go during spring break times....you may actually enjoy them entertaining you.
I will definitely be going back to Barceló!!

Room Tip: We had the Jalisco building in a premium Junior suite....well worth the money and away from the thea...
2  Thank Chrissy C
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear Chrissy C.

We truly appreciate your comments and your understanding. This is a family hotel and not exclusively for spring break, so we appreciate people like you choose our hotel to interact with adolescents who are in a safe place. We understand they are young so we maintain strict supervision to avoid problems with other guests. The resort is so large that there is always a place for everyone.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoy this wonderful resort, the cuisine, pools, and fun.

Everyone works very hard to give the best service to our customers, we appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

April 9-16
My wife and I had a wonderful trip to Barcelo Colonial . Access to the nearby resorts was great.Lots to see and do.Food was great. More selection at the Colonial Buffet ( meats- chicken,beef and pork ) is needed. Overall no complaints about the food and service. Staff took good care of us. I enjoyed the beach and available water sports. Rooms were well appointed and kept up.
Some people complained about the spring break crowd at the Tropical Resort. Oh well, kids will be kids. They seemed to stay over there and our resort was fairly quiet.
Being close to the beach and restaurants was another bonus. The resorts are well laid out and connected to each other. I discovered a new sport in "Padel" during the week.There are 2 new courts and new equipment to use. The Maya Beach resort was awesome looking after the renovations. I would definitely look at going there next time.The Caribe will soon be renovated as well.
I will definitely keep this complex on my list of places to visit again in the future.

Peter Veinot
Alberta

Room Tip: Choose the G building for best location access to all the resort has to offer.
3  Thank Peter V

Dear Peter V:
We are pleased that You enjoyed our resort with all our variety of cuisines, beautiful beach, awsome Shows and entertainment, big pools and more and of course our new padel courts that is incredible.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Very nice and clean resort. Unfortunately most of the staff were not very friendly or helpfull (even after much tipping, repeatly). Since this is an important feature for our family, we were a little disapointed. The food was excellent! Great variety. A lot of fresh fruits and salads.

Dear Michelle D:

regarding your comments, We regret the bad impression you had the staff, we strive every day to provide the best service to all our customers and are attended equally.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our resort and our exeptional cuisine with a lot of variety of fruits and salads in all the restaurants buffet and a la carte.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!