“Spring Break 2014”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were there from April 11-April 18 and had an absolutely incredible time! My oldest daughter is a senior in high school and we went there to celebrate spring break with her and many of her classmates. In fact, there were over 120 high schoolers, their families, and extended family and friends. Just in our group, there were 9 which included friends, as well as aunts and uncles. All of us have said we would definitely return to the Barceló (and bring additional family members with us). Yes, we were there during spring break, and yes there were A LOT of teenagers but from what I saw, (I spent many hours at the "party pool" watching the kids) they were having a lot of good clean fun! Yes, many of them were drinking and probably more than their parents would have liked but I never once saw a fight, someone throwing up, or anyone causing trouble. It may have happened in other areas of the resort, however, most of the kids did hang out at the pool. Which by the way, everyone pretty much left the pool area by 7:00 p.m.
I am not sure where some of the complaints of other reviews come from....my only guess is that they are individuals that would not be happy anywhere. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are absolute perfection!! I could spend hours just walking around and looking at the different plant life and animals. The pools, also immaculate!! The beach....well I am speechless about the beach! Breathtaking is all I can think of!
The staff is incredibly friendly and very very helpful. Is there a language barrier? Of course there is....hello....it's a different country! All the staff try very hard to understand what you are saying and are very willing to repeat themselves if necessary. The only thing I would suggest is that you bring along a little patience.....it is as hard for them to understand you as it is for you to understand them....they are HUMAN!!
The room was beautiful! Yes the beds and pillows are hard but not everyone can afford a tempurpedic mattress. Spend the day having fun at the beach and trust me, you will sleep!
The food was delicious! Sometimes the buffet did get a little repetitive but then you can just go to a different section of the buffet and pick something new. There was always so much to try that you could easily eat the buffet at every meal and not have to have the same thing twice!
The a la carte restaurants were good....I think the Italian may have been the best but we also tried the Mexican, the steakhouse, and the Japanese....all delicious! The beach grills also have a wonderful selection of food! The lamb chops are fantastic by the way!
When we arrived, check in went fast...less that 10 minutes (I was actually checking in for 2 rooms and it was still only 10 minutes). We did decide to upgrade to premium junior suite for both rooms....$400 extra for the week (we used a coupon in the discount packet they gave us) and it was definitely worth it! I would absolutely upgrade again! It included free wifi for the week (we had 2 devices going at once for each room) as well as premium liquor, a nicer room with incredible pool view, premium lobby bar where you could get snacks as well as make your own drinks and get premium beer if you wanted. We also would've been able to eat at the a la carte restaurants every night with premium but we were there with others that did not upgrade so we chose to eat at the buffet the other nights.
I had a massage the first night and Sylvia at the spa did a wonderful job!!!
Bottom line, if you want to stay at a beautiful resort, relax, and have fun...I highly recommend Barceló. If you want to be waited on hand and foot and have your drinks, food, and entertainment delivered at every moment to your beach chair...then choose someplace else....to be honest I don't think those individuals would even be happy with that!
Also, if you don't want to be there during any schools spring break time whether it be college or high school, then don't go in March or April. If you can get beyond the fact that 18- 20 year olds are given some freedom at the resort and accept the fact that they will be drinking, then go during spring break times....you may actually enjoy them entertaining you.
I will definitely be going back to Barceló!!

Room Tip: We had the Jalisco building in a premium Junior suite....well worth the money and away from the thea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Chrissy C
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear Chrissy C.

We truly appreciate your comments and your understanding. This is a family hotel and not exclusively for spring break, so we appreciate people like you choose our hotel to interact with adolescents who are in a safe place. We understand they are young so we maintain strict supervision to avoid problems with other guests. The resort is so large that there is always a place for everyone.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoy this wonderful resort, the cuisine, pools, and fun.

Everyone works very hard to give the best service to our customers, we appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.

gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,487)

Reviewed April 18, 2014

April 9-16
My wife and I had a wonderful trip to Barcelo Colonial . Access to the nearby resorts was great.Lots to see and do.Food was great. More selection at the Colonial Buffet ( meats- chicken,beef and pork ) is needed. Overall no complaints about the food and service. Staff took good care of us. I enjoyed the beach and available water sports. Rooms were well appointed and kept up.
Some people complained about the spring break crowd at the Tropical Resort. Oh well, kids will be kids. They seemed to stay over there and our resort was fairly quiet.
Being close to the beach and restaurants was another bonus. The resorts are well laid out and connected to each other. I discovered a new sport in "Padel" during the week.There are 2 new courts and new equipment to use. The Maya Beach resort was awesome looking after the renovations. I would definitely look at going there next time.The Caribe will soon be renovated as well.
I will definitely keep this complex on my list of places to visit again in the future.

Peter Veinot
Alberta

Room Tip: Choose the G building for best location access to all the resort has to offer.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peter V

Dear Peter V:
First of all receive our greetings, feedback from our guest is essential to improve our services and achieve our goal to fulfill your expectations.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our resort with all our variety of cuisines, beautiful beach, awsome Shows and entertainment, big pools and more and of course our new padel courts that is incredible.

We appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Very nice and clean resort. Unfortunately most of the staff were not very friendly or helpfull (even after much tipping, repeatly). Since this is an important feature for our family, we were a little disapointed. The food was excellent! Great variety. A lot of fresh fruits and salads.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Michelle D:

regarding your comments, We regret the bad impression you had the staff, we strive every day to provide the best service to all our customers and are attended equally.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our resort and our exeptional cuisine with a lot of variety of fruits and salads in all the restaurants buffet and a la carte.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My girlfriend and I have travelled to five different all inclusive resorts in the Mayan Riviera. 4 of the 5 priced lower than Barceló Maya Colonial. We have had nothing to complain about at any of the other places we visited. I always said," give me sun, sand, food and drink and if I complain after that I have too much in life". Blessed to be able to travel, lots cant. We visited trip advisor and read many glowing reviews (some not so great but they must be the people expecting too much) we could not wait to get there and show the boys the paradise that is Mexico. We booked two rooms together one for us and another for our three boys. We arrived late at night March 20th and were looking forward to checking in and start unwinding from a long trip. We immediately were met with confusion as they had one room for the five of us. No big deal please just get us another room now or in the morning the only thing is they need to be really close together so momma bear could look over the boys (all the while thinking nothing will get us down we are in Mexico). The lady checking us in replied were are booked solid and proceeded to put the boys in a completely different area of the resort. Still no problem the oldest boy will stay with me and she will go with youngest boys until resolved. Then miracously a room opened up, still a distance from ours but closer. The receptionist then said we could check back daily for new rooms and they would see if anything changed and added if that was not good enough we needed to call our travel agent (chalked the comment up to language barrier) took more then a hour to check in. Perfect, bring on the beer! until we got to the room and it was dirty and looked as though they had been working on it not long ago. No Problem who spends any time in the rooms anyway. The next morning the boys called me to say the light is on and a ton of water was running through the light fixture, now it has turned into a safety concern. They came stopped the leak promptly. We then went to the desk and said we need a new room. Nothing could be done hotel is booked. Again check back daily. To sum it up lines for everything were long bars and buffet included. We tried making reservation for a few restaurants the first day and they were completely booked for the entire week. We had made many friends and know the people in the Mayan are very hospitable, beautiful, warm and welcoming and the people at this resort are no exception it just seemed like they were dealing with too much i.e non stop long lines of people which created a much different experience for us. The bottom line for us is this resort was way overbooked and it made the normal care free vacation a chore with what seemed like way too many small inconveniences in my opinion the more people the merrier just have the staff to support the crowds. This beach and resort are beautiful and the beer is cold. Just wasn't the week we had in mind.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Colin F

Dear Colin F:

We appreciate your feedback and so friendly way to see the problems that you had.
Our main goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests and as you have understood in a high occupancy there are always inconveniences that we try to solve as soon as we can .
Unfortunately demand for the specialty restaurants is too much, that is why our resort is in remodelation to give our customers more and better options, next year we will have two more a la carte restaurants, plus terraces in the buffets.
Once again thank You very much for your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You , please let me know when You return to your this Hotel Barceló Maya Colonial and I will take care of You personally.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Was not expecting 250 high school students coming in every few days, was really worried they were going to get alcohol poisoning or someone was going to get hurt, or be sick in the many pools. People seemed very miserable that worked there, tried to tip, didn't matter when we two older ladies went to the bar, had to wait until everyone else was served each time. Many chiefs supervising the workers, could be a management problem because the workers looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders. Really said faces. Spent 2 half days of a 7 day trip trying to get the wireless internet to work, really frustrating. The business centre had no empathy at all, had to wait three times to discuss and they really didn't get that my code just didn't work. The wine was terrible, they did try and push buying decent wine but we felt that it should have been included with a 5 star and the price we paid. That said, the food was good and the grounds were kept spotless. I don't know how they kept up with all the students around but they did a great job at ensuring there was no garbage etc. Our room was also very nice and the Maya Colonial did not seem to have any of the students staying there so we did not hear the all night parties. The resort has so much to offer, just not a festive feeling that one looks for on a well needed vacation.

Room Tip: Try for the Colonial on the third floor. it was nice and well located to navigate through this huge...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 442Judy

Dear 442 Judy:
This hotel is not particularly for spring break, teens all who visit us are accompanied by their parents or elderly relatives, however, are young you have another way to have fun, we increase security to prevent accidents or disturbances.
We regret any inconvenience you had, the resort is very big and there are places for all tastes, with large pools, many bars, restaurants buffet and a la carte.
Please let us the oportunity to serve You again personally I will take care of You, do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit I´m sure it wil be totally different.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband myself and another young 40's couple went at the beginning of April for some R&R. I did a lot of research for this vacation. We have been to The Mayan last April as well. I had a hard time choosing between the 5 resorts within this Barcelo property as it was hard to know until you've been. The order from cheapest to most expensive Is Beach& Carib- Colonial& Tropical - Palace. The higher you stay you may use all the amenities beneath you. We went during spring break. What a mistake! Like a previous review we experienced the same wild and obnoxious teen pool parties. I heard that one large group of teens were being "supervised" by 5 women chaperones. So really it was a gong show. You'd pass inter the pool bridge to many teens and young adults doing beer bong shots from the top of the bridge to the water below. They were nice enough to offer us one though. So really most people vacated that pool and area for the week.

If deciding between the resorts we found that for your value the Maya Beach resort is best. It's been recently renovated and looks most modern, however I didn't see the rooms. The beach on the Beach and Carib side is nicest, calmer and less Rocky. We did like our room as it was adequate however it could you and update. The bed was very uncomfortable but was given a topper so it wasn't as hard, the bottom sheet is plastic to protect the mattress however it felt like I was sleeping on a pee mattress and it made me sweat at night and was uncomfortable. The rooms are cleaned nicely and if the only problem was the mattress I can handle it and wasn't a deal breaker.

The food was great wherever we ate. Better than other all inclusive a I've stayed at. The best ala carte by far was the Japanese Kyoto. Awesome! Danny was excellent! We were disappointed with the Mexican as we were all looking forward to "authentic" Mexican food and nothing resembled that on the menu. I was not excited about the alcoholic beverages either. I'm not a huge drinker but like to try all the fruity cocktails on holidays. The alcohol and mix was low grade in my opinion. Super fake tasting, way too sweet and no fruit juice in any of them. I ordered a Malibu brand in my drink and was told there was a charge. So I drank no name cheap stuff all week. If it's behind the bar at an all inclusive beach/swim up bar I should be able to have it free of charge. I wasn't impressed. So the warm beer was the best drink.

The grounds are amazing! Well kept and clean. It really is a beautiful resort. I knew it was big but I had no idea how large until a got there. It took me 3-4 days to know my way around. If you have teens you might not see them the whole week if you go here! They could avoid you and never be found! If you want your space from relatives this might be the resort for you! Lots to do with your young children and the amenities looked awesome for kids. We walked through the Palace and it really is quite nice. Would consider staying there! Overall we had a great time. We paid $3500 for 2 from Canada. I would only return if the price was right.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank CNDNGirl

This hotel is not particularly for spring break, teens must be accompanied by their parents or seniors, we increased safety to prevent accidents or disturbances.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful Resort is true that is very big and we have the most beautiful beach in Riviera Maya (Playa Azul).

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We read a ton of reviews before booking this trip and were a little nervous about what we would find. My best advice... This is a beautiful, modern property and my feedback is minor compared with the overall experience which I would rate as first class, having traveled around the world. We booked a premium ocean suite for a week during spring break with a 5 year old.

The entrance to the property is grand. The grounds are immaculate and the staff work non stop to keep them that way. We were able to bypass the front desk with the Premium upgrade and enjoyed the premium lounge. My husband liked their cold beer and often stopped there to pick up a few cans or a cup of coffee in the morning after going for a run.

We gave our Premium benefits a little too much credit though and didn't find out until the end that the coupons that we used which said $10 US for a bottle of wine, actually meant $10 off. The wait staff assured us the coupons were for $10 wine, so when we got our final bill on the day before we left, we were a bit shell shocked at the amount. The staff and management did nothing for us to make up for this.

Room impression was awesome. Large balcony and 6506 room is great location, ocean view, near kids pool and theater. The beds are extremely hard... My ear hurt from laying on my side too long. You can ask for a pillow top bed liner which helps.

We were there during a busy time so the maintenance tool a bit longer than expected. I was impressed by their triage for important issues like my fuse blown on my hairdryer ( the buffets kicked me out one afternoon for having a wet cover up where my bathing suit soaked through and I had to go back to the room to change before they would seat me). Our Bureau door was broken when we arrived and we reported it day 1 and again. It never was fixed. Then again, our Hairdryer fuse blew and they fixed it right away.

Tips: Bring an insulated cup for refills at the bars to keep drinks cool,
Make dinner reservations when you arrive ...day 1 or risk not getting in.

The dolphin experience is great for all! Ask for the coupon for the photos and video.

The Barcelo complex is simply four properties side by side. You really can't tell one from the other. The Tropical and Colonial are mirror images as are the Beach and other. They share a Theater, and the buffet halls are right next to each other. They each have a grill for beachside /poolside casual eating. You can go to any buffet other than the Palace. We ate at the Beach grill one afternoon and I did notice that it had less options than the Colonial grill. The Palace is at the North end, but we walked through there and ate at their buffet (a Premium benefit) twice.

The party crowd definitely congregated down at the Tropical pool. The staff worked hard to get people dancing and engaged at both pools.

Bartenders had power. We saw them control the party crowd several times. Bring enough small bills to tip. This is not a "no-tip" resort like Sandals.

Kids club "Barcy" was well staffed and our daughter volunteered to go there for the better part of 3 days while we were here and had a great time. They have an hourly schedule posted from 9-5 and you can hire a babysitter if you need after hours care.

The roads from the airport are all modern and paved and we found the hotel transportation to be in nice vehicles and courteous drivers. We ended up being the only family both to and from the airport.

We went to Playa del Carmen one day. We are not big shoppers, so the constant shop workers approaching us was annoying but we walked the beach and had a nice meal at a parilla. Tip: take the bus into Playa for $3 per person each way. They are air conditioned sprinter-type vans.

They have decent internet available on one device.

The beach at the Colonial/Tropical is a bit rocky for body surfing, but you can go out and stand in it and snorkel. We went over to the Maya Beach where there is more sand and minimal rocks, if any and the sand is nice. There is also a protected bay so in general, the water is more mild there.

The room drapes are sufficiently dark to sleep in and there is a nice hair dryer.

The night shows were great. The kids have a great program to start and we usually stayed for the other shows. The Circus show is good. It played at the Beach resort earlier in the week so try to catch it. The spring break party crowd was not interested.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank tlcjunk

Dear tljunk:
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful Resort and you´ve had a wonderful holiday. Regarding your comments sorry you have had these problems in the room we work on it does not happen again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!