“Family vacation”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Very nice and clean resort. Unfortunately most of the staff were not very friendly or helpfull (even after much tipping, repeatly). Since this is an important feature for our family, we were a little disapointed. The food was excellent! Great variety. A lot of fresh fruits and salads.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear Michelle D:

First of all receive our greetings, feedback from our guest is essential to improve our services and achieve our goal to fulfill your expectations.
regarding your comments, We regret the bad impression you had the staff, we strive every day to provide the best service to all our customers and are attended equally.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our resort and our exeptional cuisine with a lot of variety of fruits and salads in all the restaurants buffet and a la carte.
We appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.

gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,191)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My girlfriend and I have travelled to five different all inclusive resorts in the Mayan Riviera. 4 of the 5 priced lower than Barceló Maya Colonial. We have had nothing to complain about at any of the other places we visited. I always said," give me sun, sand, food and drink and if I complain after that I have too much in life". Blessed to be able to travel, lots cant. We visited trip advisor and read many glowing reviews (some not so great but they must be the people expecting too much) we could not wait to get there and show the boys the paradise that is Mexico. We booked two rooms together one for us and another for our three boys. We arrived late at night March 20th and were looking forward to checking in and start unwinding from a long trip. We immediately were met with confusion as they had one room for the five of us. No big deal please just get us another room now or in the morning the only thing is they need to be really close together so momma bear could look over the boys (all the while thinking nothing will get us down we are in Mexico). The lady checking us in replied were are booked solid and proceeded to put the boys in a completely different area of the resort. Still no problem the oldest boy will stay with me and she will go with youngest boys until resolved. Then miracously a room opened up, still a distance from ours but closer. The receptionist then said we could check back daily for new rooms and they would see if anything changed and added if that was not good enough we needed to call our travel agent (chalked the comment up to language barrier) took more then a hour to check in. Perfect, bring on the beer! until we got to the room and it was dirty and looked as though they had been working on it not long ago. No Problem who spends any time in the rooms anyway. The next morning the boys called me to say the light is on and a ton of water was running through the light fixture, now it has turned into a safety concern. They came stopped the leak promptly. We then went to the desk and said we need a new room. Nothing could be done hotel is booked. Again check back daily. To sum it up lines for everything were long bars and buffet included. We tried making reservation for a few restaurants the first day and they were completely booked for the entire week. We had made many friends and know the people in the Mayan are very hospitable, beautiful, warm and welcoming and the people at this resort are no exception it just seemed like they were dealing with too much i.e non stop long lines of people which created a much different experience for us. The bottom line for us is this resort was way overbooked and it made the normal care free vacation a chore with what seemed like way too many small inconveniences in my opinion the more people the merrier just have the staff to support the crowds. This beach and resort are beautiful and the beer is cold. Just wasn't the week we had in mind.

9  Thank Colin F

Dear Colin F:

We appreciate your feedback and so friendly way to see the problems that you had.
Our main goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests and as you have understood in a high occupancy there are always inconveniences that we try to solve as soon as we can .
Unfortunately demand for the specialty restaurants is too much, that is why our resort is in remodelation to give our customers more and better options, next year we will have two more a la carte restaurants, plus terraces in the buffets.
Once again thank You very much for your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You , please let me know when You return to your this Hotel Barceló Maya Colonial and I will take care of You personally.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Was not expecting 250 high school students coming in every few days, was really worried they were going to get alcohol poisoning or someone was going to get hurt, or be sick in the many pools. People seemed very miserable that worked there, tried to tip, didn't matter when we two older ladies went to the bar, had to wait until everyone else was served each time. Many chiefs supervising the workers, could be a management problem because the workers looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders. Really said faces. Spent 2 half days of a 7 day trip trying to get the wireless internet to work, really frustrating. The business centre had no empathy at all, had to wait three times to discuss and they really didn't get that my code just didn't work. The wine was terrible, they did try and push buying decent wine but we felt that it should have been included with a 5 star and the price we paid. That said, the food was good and the grounds were kept spotless. I don't know how they kept up with all the students around but they did a great job at ensuring there was no garbage etc. Our room was also very nice and the Maya Colonial did not seem to have any of the students staying there so we did not hear the all night parties. The resort has so much to offer, just not a festive feeling that one looks for on a well needed vacation.

Room Tip: Try for the Colonial on the third floor. it was nice and well located to navigate through this huge...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 442Judy

Dear 442 Judy:
This hotel is not particularly for spring break, teens all who visit us are accompanied by their parents or elderly relatives, however, are young you have another way to have fun, we increase security to prevent accidents or disturbances.
We regret any inconvenience you had, the resort is very big and there are places for all tastes, with large pools, many bars, restaurants buffet and a la carte.
Please let us the oportunity to serve You again personally I will take care of You, do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit I´m sure it wil be totally different.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband myself and another young 40's couple went at the beginning of April for some R&R. I did a lot of research for this vacation. We have been to The Mayan last April as well. I had a hard time choosing between the 5 resorts within this Barcelo property as it was hard to know until you've been. The order from cheapest to most expensive Is Beach& Carib- Colonial& Tropical - Palace. The higher you stay you may use all the amenities beneath you. We went during spring break. What a mistake! Like a previous review we experienced the same wild and obnoxious teen pool parties. I heard that one large group of teens were being "supervised" by 5 women chaperones. So really it was a gong show. You'd pass inter the pool bridge to many teens and young adults doing beer bong shots from the top of the bridge to the water below. They were nice enough to offer us one though. So really most people vacated that pool and area for the week.

If deciding between the resorts we found that for your value the Maya Beach resort is best. It's been recently renovated and looks most modern, however I didn't see the rooms. The beach on the Beach and Carib side is nicest, calmer and less Rocky. We did like our room as it was adequate however it could you and update. The bed was very uncomfortable but was given a topper so it wasn't as hard, the bottom sheet is plastic to protect the mattress however it felt like I was sleeping on a pee mattress and it made me sweat at night and was uncomfortable. The rooms are cleaned nicely and if the only problem was the mattress I can handle it and wasn't a deal breaker.

The food was great wherever we ate. Better than other all inclusive a I've stayed at. The best ala carte by far was the Japanese Kyoto. Awesome! Danny was excellent! We were disappointed with the Mexican as we were all looking forward to "authentic" Mexican food and nothing resembled that on the menu. I was not excited about the alcoholic beverages either. I'm not a huge drinker but like to try all the fruity cocktails on holidays. The alcohol and mix was low grade in my opinion. Super fake tasting, way too sweet and no fruit juice in any of them. I ordered a Malibu brand in my drink and was told there was a charge. So I drank no name cheap stuff all week. If it's behind the bar at an all inclusive beach/swim up bar I should be able to have it free of charge. I wasn't impressed. So the warm beer was the best drink.

The grounds are amazing! Well kept and clean. It really is a beautiful resort. I knew it was big but I had no idea how large until a got there. It took me 3-4 days to know my way around. If you have teens you might not see them the whole week if you go here! They could avoid you and never be found! If you want your space from relatives this might be the resort for you! Lots to do with your young children and the amenities looked awesome for kids. We walked through the Palace and it really is quite nice. Would consider staying there! Overall we had a great time. We paid $3500 for 2 from Canada. I would only return if the price was right.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank CNDNGirl

This hotel is not particularly for spring break, teens must be accompanied by their parents or seniors, we increased safety to prevent accidents or disturbances.
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful Resort is true that is very big and we have the most beautiful beach in Riviera Maya (Playa Azul).

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We read a ton of reviews before booking this trip and were a little nervous about what we would find. My best advice... This is a beautiful, modern property and my feedback is minor compared with the overall experience which I would rate as first class, having traveled around the world. We booked a premium ocean suite for a week during spring break with a 5 year old.

The entrance to the property is grand. The grounds are immaculate and the staff work non stop to keep them that way. We were able to bypass the front desk with the Premium upgrade and enjoyed the premium lounge. My husband liked their cold beer and often stopped there to pick up a few cans or a cup of coffee in the morning after going for a run.

We gave our Premium benefits a little too much credit though and didn't find out until the end that the coupons that we used which said $10 US for a bottle of wine, actually meant $10 off. The wait staff assured us the coupons were for $10 wine, so when we got our final bill on the day before we left, we were a bit shell shocked at the amount. The staff and management did nothing for us to make up for this.

Room impression was awesome. Large balcony and 6506 room is great location, ocean view, near kids pool and theater. The beds are extremely hard... My ear hurt from laying on my side too long. You can ask for a pillow top bed liner which helps.

We were there during a busy time so the maintenance tool a bit longer than expected. I was impressed by their triage for important issues like my fuse blown on my hairdryer ( the buffets kicked me out one afternoon for having a wet cover up where my bathing suit soaked through and I had to go back to the room to change before they would seat me). Our Bureau door was broken when we arrived and we reported it day 1 and again. It never was fixed. Then again, our Hairdryer fuse blew and they fixed it right away.

Tips: Bring an insulated cup for refills at the bars to keep drinks cool,
Make dinner reservations when you arrive ...day 1 or risk not getting in.

The dolphin experience is great for all! Ask for the coupon for the photos and video.

The Barcelo complex is simply four properties side by side. You really can't tell one from the other. The Tropical and Colonial are mirror images as are the Beach and other. They share a Theater, and the buffet halls are right next to each other. They each have a grill for beachside /poolside casual eating. You can go to any buffet other than the Palace. We ate at the Beach grill one afternoon and I did notice that it had less options than the Colonial grill. The Palace is at the North end, but we walked through there and ate at their buffet (a Premium benefit) twice.

The party crowd definitely congregated down at the Tropical pool. The staff worked hard to get people dancing and engaged at both pools.

Bartenders had power. We saw them control the party crowd several times. Bring enough small bills to tip. This is not a "no-tip" resort like Sandals.

Kids club "Barcy" was well staffed and our daughter volunteered to go there for the better part of 3 days while we were here and had a great time. They have an hourly schedule posted from 9-5 and you can hire a babysitter if you need after hours care.

The roads from the airport are all modern and paved and we found the hotel transportation to be in nice vehicles and courteous drivers. We ended up being the only family both to and from the airport.

We went to Playa del Carmen one day. We are not big shoppers, so the constant shop workers approaching us was annoying but we walked the beach and had a nice meal at a parilla. Tip: take the bus into Playa for $3 per person each way. They are air conditioned sprinter-type vans.

They have decent internet available on one device.

The beach at the Colonial/Tropical is a bit rocky for body surfing, but you can go out and stand in it and snorkel. We went over to the Maya Beach where there is more sand and minimal rocks, if any and the sand is nice. There is also a protected bay so in general, the water is more mild there.

The room drapes are sufficiently dark to sleep in and there is a nice hair dryer.

The night shows were great. The kids have a great program to start and we usually stayed for the other shows. The Circus show is good. It played at the Beach resort earlier in the week so try to catch it. The spring break party crowd was not interested.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank tlcjunk

Dear tljunk:
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful Resort and you´ve had a wonderful holiday. Regarding your comments sorry you have had these problems in the room we work on it does not happen again.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We have been coming to the Riviera Maya for years and have stayed at many of the all-inclusives in Playa del Carmen as well as Puerto Aventuras where this resort is located. Although our needs have changed because we started out vacationing here as a young couple, and now we have two kids, 12 & 13, I feel we can give you helpful feedback, as we go pretty much every year...can't give up my beach time (we are in land locked Colorado).

The star system in the area is not always reliable, and if you go only by that, you may be disappointed. This hotel is rated as 5 Star, but it is not really that by US standards. You won't find the level of customer service and attention to detail. However it is not a moderate property, either. I don't know any moderate properties that have floor to ceiling travertine marble in the bathrooms. In a nutshell, here was our experience-

Rooms: We reserved two ocean-front jr suites, and had emailed the week before for connecting rooms, but they don't exist for junior suites. But we were placed on the same floor, just a couple of doors apart, which worked out fine. Both faced the pools and you could see the ocean just beyond...very beautiful. Our room had a corner balcony with a hammock which was very nice. Suites are bigger, have more closet space, flat screen tv, bigger bathroom with both tub and separate rain shower, robes and slippers, and most important for the kids, free WIFI! I feel it was worth the extra cost, also for the proximity to pools and beach. Also was nice to have a separate check in area where they immediately made our dinner reservations for the week.

This was a new resort for us, as the past few years we have been very happy at the Iberostars (Toucan/Quetzal and Paraiso Lindo in Puerto Morelos). We decided to give this place a try because of the on-site snorkeling, and the larger size for our kids to explore. We were very happy we did. Our family LOVED this resort.

Beach: gorgeous. No palapas for shade, but plenty of palm trees. You just need to move with the shade! Water calm and shallow because of the protected coves. BUT bring pool shoes. Thank god we did ( read other reviews), because although you can navigate around them, there are more rocks than we have been used to at other resorts. The pier was super nice to have for the snorkeling. Amazing amount of fish.

Grounds: Beautiful and perfectly maintained and cleaned

Food: Good, not amazing. Our upgrade got us a free pass to the Palace Buffet. Very good. Also tried the new Mexican n/c, over rated, we thought. Drinks, stay away from frozen premixed stuff pool side. Margs at lobby bar & restaurants were excellent. Our upgraded bracelets got us top shelf n/c.

Staff. Nothing amazing, but no concerns. Minor issues handles quickly.

Important- get a private car/taxi to the resort. They will fly you there!

I think to really enjoy vacationing in Mexico, you have to remember it is a third world country and it is not a "well oiled machine". Just go with the flow and don't let the little things get the best of you. I honestly can't believe the things people complain about. Just go and you will have a great time!

7  Thank mikabella01
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Mikabella01:
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful beach, really is amazing for all kinds water activities, we appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.
We are sure to exceed your needs and expectations compared to his previous visit.

La Gerencia

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Maya Colonial between March 6th - 13th / 2014. It was excellent! This is our 2nd year at the Colonial. We enjoyed it so much in 2013 that we decided to book it again and come back this year. I'm glad we did. The staff treat you very well, the resort is spotless and safe, the food is excellent, the beach/swimming pools are great and there is plenty to do. Something impressive happened this year, there were 3 staff from 2013 that recognized us when we came back this year. Now, how personal is that. Guess where we and our family will be going in March 2015?

6  Thank Dan K

Dear DanK:
We are pleased that You enjoyed our beautiful beach, really is amazing for all kinds water activities, also our four a la carte restaurants Sea Food, Italian, Steak House and Japaneese and our buffet with a variety of food and different cuisines every night.
Please let me know the date of your next visit and I will personally serve you, thank You for choosing us again.

La Gerencia

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!