“Fantastic Week”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Storm Lake, Iowa
“Fantastic Week”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We just returned from 5 nights at the Barcelo. We traveled with our 3 kids 14-21. This is a very large resort so be ready to do lots of walking to everything. We were even in the building closest to the pool and theatre and it still was a lot of walking. There was lots of activities on the resort for the kids to do but you had to pay for most all of them..swim with the dolphins, segweys, and parasailing...not complaining about paying but other than those the activites and maybe some dancing at 4 in the afternoon you never saw anything to do. We are use to staying at hotels where there is an entertainment staff with activites to do all day long. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept..had some issues with air not working always but overall a great room. If you like to go to bed before 11pm make sure your room doesn't face the theatre..our did and it was very loud. The food was what you would expect we only ate at one of the restaurants seafood and it was great. The best bartender was at the theatre bar ... I would recomend getting your family pictures taken while there we did and they are awesome! They cost $200 but worth every penny. You book this in the shopping area. They did an awesome job!!! Would I go back? Maybe if the price was right...I prefer smaller resorts closer to the airport...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kindly comments regarding your last stay at Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel.
If you enjoyed the activities with the entertainment staff and other services, you have to see the next surprises that the Hotel is preparing. I am sure you will enjoy it!
We appreciate your comments which helps us to improve our service.
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed February 14, 2014

First, this is almost an hour away from the airport. The grounds are very nice and so are the rooms but the humidity is horrible. There's rust everywhere and everything feels wet. The TV in our room wasn't even a flat screen. It didn't work and took almost two days to get one that did work. This place is all inclusive but you will not be getting any top shelf liquor. Wish this was conveyed before I booked the hotel. The food was just ok to me. The restaurants are very basic and nothing was of top quality. The Japanese restaurant didn't even offer hibachi every night. The beach and the pool were really nice. I loved the activities as well. My main complaint comes after I checked out. I had hotel credits through the site I booked with and used them to get a massage. No American dollars so everything had to be converted. I get home to check my statement and see they charged the full price. Getting in touch with anyone to get my money back has been difficult to say the least. I've emailed management, called the hotel and still haven't gotten a response. I will never patronize this facility or any associated with it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank joi107
Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
We regret you have had problems during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards; and for this reason the Hotel has changed the TV's and improve some other services.
Once again we apologize for any inconvenience.
Best regards
Bobcaygeon
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We just got back from a week at Barcelo Maya Tropical and had a FANTASTIC time! The resort grounds, lobby, pools and beach are all absolutely stunning. Plus the staff was so nice and the food/drinks were very good. The resort is very large, but still felt home-y and was easy to navigate (When staying at Colonial, you also have access to the Tropical, Caribe and Beach parts... although each one is its own contained hotel).

This is a very family-friendly spot with a great kid's club, a very impressive kid's pool with water slides and some really fun activities... our 5-year old loved it! But there is also enough for adults to do and if you're not there with young kids then there are plenty of more adult-centric areas to enjoy.

Highlights for us were:
-THE BEACH is really gorgeous.... with white sand, tons of palm trees and crystal blue water. Yes, there is a rocky area off to the left side but most of the beach is a smooth sandy entry and you can very clearly see where there are a few rocks, but easy to avoid (adds to the natural beauty, in my opinion). Our son LOVED this beach and the water was not too rough either, but just enough waves for some fun. Plenty of sunbeds and shade under palm trees at all times. You can also use the beaches in front of Caribe/Beach, which are gorgeous as well.
-POOL areas are just as beautiful.... usually we're beach people, but these were some of the nicest pools we've ever seen... they are HUGE, very clean and you have access to the neighboring pools in the Tropical side (and Beach/Caribe too). Tons of sunbeds and tons of shade if you want it... plus hammocks! The aforementioned Kid's pool was really a bonus to this resort. Best part is that beach and pools are all beside eachother, so you can easily bounce from each one.
-OVERALL ATMOSPHERE: The grounds, Lobby and Common Areas of hotel are fantastic.... open air, tropical-feeling and breezy with tons of gorgeous foliage.... there are many great spots to sit and hang out to enjoy your surroundings, have a cocktail or spot iguanas (of which there are many). It felt very relaxing, lush and calm.
-ACTIVITIES/ACTION: We're not ones who usually participate in organized activities but there are some very cool things to do at this place, such as: There is an awesome mini-golf course that is in a beautiful 'jungle' area. Friday nights there is a 'Mexican Party' in the square area complete with Mariachi band, Mexican food and drinks, kid games and Pinata... it was super-charming and a great evening. Free snorkeling (or use of kayaks) for 1 hour/day and there is very good snorkeling to be had right off the pier off to the side of the beach. Lot's of game areas strewn about with outdoor ping-pong, pool tables, lawn bowling, and a giant chess board that we spend waaay to much time at. Kid's Club was great for our son and they did kid's disco or movie nights every evening in the Theatre. The beach is very long in front of the entire Barcelo complex, so you can walk end to end to explore the reefs/pier/etc... lots of water-life, birds, and more to be seen.
-FOOD AND DRINK = Very good. Especially if you like traditional Mexican! All of their fresh salsas, hot sauces, pico de gallo, and guacamole were FANTASTIC! Don't forget the refried beans either. The kitchen is very good with braised/stewed meats in particular, as well as seared fish, ceviche, shrimps, etc. Less successful are the attempts to do other types of cuisine and desserts (not bad, just not as good as their authentic Mexican food). Cocktails are great, the Corona flowed freely and even the wine was pretty good (I've never had a drinkable glass of wine served to me at an all-inclusive, so I was impressed). They even have a good sparkling wine that I enjoyed at dinners or as mimosas every morning. We ate at 2 specialty restaurant (could have done up to 4, but thought 2 was plenty with a kid)... the seafood (very good) and the Japanese, which was SO much fun and really delicious (done teppanyaki-style with the chef at your table on the grill). Note that there is a lunch buffet down in the beach/pool area as well. We ate one night at the Caribe buffet and it was very good as well (remember, you have access to Beach/Caribe/Tropical so you can use their buffets and bars as well... makes for good variety!)
-STAFF was super-friendly.... really lovely people, always with a smile and service was great across the board. We tipped about half the time depending on the situation, but never felt like we had to or that we'd get lesser service if not. The ladies in the kid's club were amazing.

For us, this resort was a major winner... it had everything that we were looking for and that was important to us... but everyone is different, so here are just a few comments to address some of the more negative comments on other reviews:
-Yes, there is some room for improvement with the rooms, but overall they were very nice, clean and spacious. We did notice some humidity/condensation in the room (but I've found it's like this in all hot climates). We were on the ground floor and other reviewers have noted that the upper floors are less humid so maybe request one if this bothers you (the room smelled fine and not musty). The tv is older, but no big deal. Beds were quite hard, but clean and bedding was nice. Ask for a room facing away from the theatre if you want it to be quiet.
-Some reviewers have commented on the evening entertainment, but we thought it was just fine... the theatre is huge and lively and had good service, so we sat back with our cold beer and enjoyed the slightly cheesy, but earnest shows!
-I've also read some complaints about the lack of drink service on the beach and around the pool, but honestly, the bar is right there... it's no big deal to chill out at the bar (or in the pool bar) to grab your drink. This resort is a mid-range-priced resort, not Palace luxury where every whim is indulged. Note that there is a livelier daytime pool-bar scene at the Tropical pool (which is fun and nice to have the option of a quieter side and louder one). There is also a large disco that serves all the resorts but we didn't make it there with the kid and all.
-Wi-fi is NOT included... but is available for an extra charge. We opted to 'unplug' for the week and I'm so glad we did. But I can understand that this may be a negative for many people.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for! But for us, this was an outstanding choice and I would go back in a heartbeat and recommend it to others wholeheartedly. I'd also be happy to stay at the Beach, Caribe, or Tropical as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as close to the pool area/beach as possible. Quieter rooms face away from the theatre...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank KawarthaGal
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear KawarthaG.

Barceló Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we deeply thank your visit to Barceló Hotels & Resorts, your words regarding our Staff, beach, gardens, food, restaurants, entertainment activities is always much appreciated, therefore we committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on rooms issues to improve them.

We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments,

Warmest Regards,

Barceló Maya Tropical
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com
Bonnyville, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was my first all inclusive trip and it was a horrible experience. This resort is not a place for someone to go that has trouble walking. House keeping would come in to clean the room, never change the sheets and leave all the dirty towels. They were not helpful when something was needed but they were there to say "by the way there is a charge for this". I found this place not worth me money. Your clothes were always very damp it was not a place to relax. We went for a wedding and they did nothing special for the bride and groom. I will never stay here again. Unfriendly and not clean. I will spend my money else where.

Room Tip: Ask if the rooms on 2nd or 3rd floor are not so damp the 1st floor is extremely damp.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Jugs69
Dear guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your last visit to Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel.

Your comments have been reviewed with the staff in order to improve the attention to every single guest that we have the pleasure to host.

We regret any inconvenience during your stay and it will be a pleasure to show you the real service on your next visit.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was our first time to the Barcelo Maya Colonial. Overall this was a nice resort. The food was mostly good, the staff was friendly, professional and polite, beach and pools were great, and the property was beautiful. A few of the things we did not like were the long wait to check in (maybe 15-20 minutes but felt like forever!), we had booked a king bed but received 2 queens which I think were really closer to full sized beds, the beds and pillows left a lot to be desired, and that our only options for dinner reservations were late in the evening (8:30-9:30pm).

While there we took the city bus into town for some shopping-costs $3 and you simply wait outside the resort entrance by the highway. Snorkling was was near the rocks. We took out a sail boat (included with the resort) which was really fun. the Japanese restaurant was by far our favorite. Overall we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica W
Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We are very happy to know you enjoy the services and of course we will take your kindly recommendations to improve every day. Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We had a great time at the Barceló Maya Colonial. The resort is huge, and we loved taking our morning walk on the different paths throughout the property.

The rooms were basic, but had everything we needed. In the room, there was shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, hand soap, etc. They even provided slippers and bathrobes to wear. I was a little disappointed that free wifi and room service are not included.

The pools are huge and amazing, but a little chilly. Plenty of chairs so there's really no need to get up early to reserve a spot. The resort was nearly full during our stay, and we never had trouble finding seats. There's also a kids pool with waterslides, and all the kids appeared to be having a great time.

The beach is gorgeous, but very rocky. The beach in front of the Beach/Caribe is best for swimming, but there were still a lot of rocks. There is great snorkeling right off the dock. We saw tons of fish, stingrays, etc.

The food is great! The buffet is quite large with tons of choices, and the service was quick and efficient. We mostly ate at the buffet, but if you're interested in the specialty restaurants, book them right away unless you prefer to eat early. The later times get taken pretty quickly.

The entertainment was poor. We went to a few of the shows and couldn't even stay for the entire time. They were just boring!

Overall, we had an amazing trip, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sll23
Dear guest,
We appreciate the time you took for letting us your experience at Barcelo Maya Colonial.
Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Having stayed at the Barcelo in Puerto Vallerta and now 3 times at the Riviera Maya complex, I think I'm done with the Barcelo experience. The overall complex is nice, but the standards have dropped over my other stays.
I had to ask housekeeping almost everyday for something or another. Water, wash cloths, towels, something that use to be standard.
The reservation system for the restaurants sux worse than it ever has, overbooked constantly and now want to charge $25 per reservation for restaurants not in the same hotel you are staying at. Wait staff is non exsistant in the pool area. I wanted to book the big suite, but it wouldn't allow for 4 adults. You can't even book 4 adults in the family suite and i had 5 adults in the family suite when I stayed at Maya Beach. So I had to settle for 2 regular rooms, not what I wanted.

Room Tip: Club premium corner suites are the best but expensive.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
First of all we want to thank you and let you know that we really appreciate your loyalty to Barcelo. It is very important to us to know your comments and to show you that you can live a new experience every time you visit us. Please let us know your next date for travelling at gteoperaciones.colonial@barcelomaya.com and I can assure you that we will surprise you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#72 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!