“Excellent Vacation/Wedding”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Parry Sound, Canada
“Excellent Vacation/Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We attended this resort during March Break (Canada) weekend in 2013. Family member's wedding. We got a room upgrade for a decent price. We had a bunch of coupons we could apply for different services. The room service was fabulous. The bartenders rocked. The beach was stunning. The tours and a-la-carte restaurants were hard to book, mainly because the resort was at max capacity and the group that had traveled together was over 40 people.

Only peeve was that the teenagers accompanied by their parents were very loud and rude and were very disrespectful when drunk in the evening ( to be expected during the busiest of seasons) however, staff were diligent to rectify situations.

You had to search for an "entry point" without coral to wade in the ocean, but the water was beautiful and there was a mile long beach. many folks were getting clipped or injuring themselves from sharp coral edges when the tide picked up.

Nice feel for Mexico- with the shopping center in a round-a-bout. Nice Discotheque- but they shouldn't charge a cover fee at all unless you want to be a VIP. ( which is not worth it)

Great Food, Great Entertainment, Good Services.

If we return to Mexico, we will definitely keep this resort in mind.

Pleasant Experience

Room Tip: stay hydrated. book a-la-carte when you get there, plan getting to the hotel where you can immediate...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travel4life2beaches
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, May 24, 2016
Dear travel4life2beaches:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was my first time ever traveling out of the US. I thought the food at the buffett was good. The italian restuarant (capri) was horrible, made my husband and I both sick. The steak house (Sante Fe) was awesome. The service of the staff was above my expectations. Very friendly and attentive. We stayed at the Troipcal although when we booked it showed we were staying at the Colonial. Not sure why we were switched, but all the hotels are next to each other and travel between the hotels are easy (all conected by walking paths). The pool and beach were very nice and clean. There were a lot of activities during the day at the pool and beach. The spa was wonderful, I received the best massage ever! Here are a few things I feel they could improve: 1. The room (second floor-Yucatan) was very musty smelling. So much so It made my husband sick and we left 2 days early. Everytime the AC was running is was worse. My husband complained about the musty smell and the front desk acted like they didn't care. DIdn't offer to switch our rooms or anything. The bed was hard as a rock. 2. The pool bar closes at 7:00 & the snack bar closes @ 6:30. It seems like you are forced to go to your room and clean up for dinner. Mu husband and I like to eat dinner later,so we can enjoy most of the beautiful days. 3. The night life is non-exisistant. The shows are horrible, the discoteca was horrible. We spent a lot of nights in our room watching TV. The lobby bar was open until midnight, but there was not much going on there. The nightlife may be better during Spring and Summer when it is in season. We vistied when it was "off season". All in all I am not sure I would return to this resort or not. I would like to try other resorts in the future.

2 Thank Dottie N
Dear Dottie N:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This review is long overdue. We stayed at the Colonial in May 2007. When writing this review I could not enter the proper date since the dates only go back to 2012. It was our first trip to Mexico and first "all inclusive" We love this resort! It is Beautiful! Very lush grounds and well kept. No Bugs! Very clean. It's paradise! Food was very good in both the buffets and ala cart restaurants. Pools are great and so is the beach area with plenty of lounge chairs. We loved taking long walks on the beach. The shows were enjoyable. The rooms are not luxurious but are comfortable, very clean and are a good size. We just love this resort and would definitely return. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor in the Guanajuato building closer to the pools & Beach.

Room Tip: We like rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TAC499
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, May 23, 2016
Dear TAC499:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was our third visit to the Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort. I thought I would be jaded by this time, but I loved the place even more on this visit. We were very active, with sailing, scuba lessons in the pool, snorkeling, swimming, volleyball, and an excursion to visit the Tulum Mayan ruins, outside beaches, and a cenote for snorkeling. The rooms are in excellent condition and very comfortable. We were initially placed in a room facing the theater, but that was loud at night so we got moved to a quieter room. Second and third floor rooms have nice balconies. I suppose first floor rooms have a patio, but I didn’t notice.

The food is good. We ate all of our meals at the buffets and did not try any of the specialty restaurants. We had breakfasts and dinners in the main dining rooms and lunch in the pool and beachside cantinas. Great fresh fruit, vegetables, and desserts are available at all meals, and my wife loved the cappuccino at every meal.

The entire Barcelo complex has 4 or 5 hotels and is huge. However, the place does not seem crowded (we were there in October which is off season). They manage the visitors well and we never had to wait for a table, or to get a sailboat (hobie cats), etc. The staff is very friendly.

The beach is very beautiful with white sand and palm trees. The pool complex is adjacent to the beach with great lounge chair seating under shaded canopies. The beach has rocky sections so I recommend taking water shoes.

3 Thank mudhutnm
Dear mudhutnm:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We just returned from our second trip to the Barcelo Colonial and once again we had an amazing time. The resort is luxurious by our standards, the grounds, buildings, decor everything is just so beautiful you never get tired of just enjoying the views! The pools are gorgeous and enormous, they are kept spotlessly clean! The beach is fabulous, lots of large palm trees to provide shade for my husband who loves to just recline and look around, beautiful turquoise blue waters and a coral reef right there for me as I love to snorkel and be in the water. I swam with sea turtles EVERY DAY right in front of the resort, the reef has been damaged some by inconsiderate visitors but the fish are numerous and beautiful, it's like swimming in a huge aquarium! The service is great, we had a couple of problems with the language barrier, we don't speak much Spanish and many of the staff don't speak much English but we never encountered any staff member who was rude or unpleasant. Check in was a breeze, we were early and our room wasn't ready yet but we got to leave our luggage and roam around, have lunch and a drink, make our dinner reservations and arrange for internet and by the time we had that done we were promptly given our room key cards. The rooms are very nice, beds aren't what we have at home but they weren't uncomfortable in my opinion, there were four pillows on each bed and no they weren't high end pillows but they worked great for me and I have problems with insomnia! The room was cleaned spotlessly everyday and mini fridge was restocked to our liking. Note, were not preferred club but we were still treated like special guests, I think that's just the Barcelo way! I see people complain about drinks, I never had an occasion where a drink was not mixed the way I requested, if I wanted extra alcohol I just asked, they were eager to please! Loved the nightly shows, I've been to two other resorts and the shows at Barcelo, while not Broadway shows, are superior and the dancers and entertainers are excellent! We enjoyed the food both at the buffets and the Ala Carts, the Steak House and Kyoto were our favorites, not at all impressed with the Seafood but that was probably just a personal thing, enjoyed the variety at the buffets and never felt like there wasn't something enjoyable to eat. We had no problem at all booking the Ala Carts we wanted at the times we preferred. The ONLY negative thing about the entire week was that some of the other guests were just downright rude and overbearing. they acted like they were the only people there and were very demanding of the staff and pushy toward other guests, they left trash everywhere for the hard working staff to have to clean up, moved the recliners into the sea and just left them for the staff to have to re-position, wasted plates full of food and cups full of drinks and just seemed to have a general disregard for the resort and other guests, this was not the fault of the resort!! We are already looking forward to another visit next year!

Room Tip: We had a 3rd floor room in the Guanajuato building in the Colonial section, loved being up off the g...
5 Thank JennyC1
Dear JennyC1:

Warmest Regards
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

first time at the Barceló resorts....great experience, short but enjoyable vacations with the family,
excellent food and service, the only downside are the drinks and if you like to have a good wine the prices are very high also for cocktails
Also the pillows are like a rock....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bobbitto
Dear bobbitto:

Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in this hotel at the end of September 2013.... What a lovely hotel, we cannot stress enough what a great time we had and how we thoroughly enjoyed everything the hotel had to offer....

The check in was painless, even to the point where our tour operator had dropped us off at the Tropical Lobby not the Colonial, they just got everything run across for us no bother, we walked to the room andall i can say is wow! We had upgraded to one of the junior suites with the hotel directly, the room was spotless and had plenty of room with excellent aroma free aircon, we overlooked the Colonial pool and although obscured by the Palms (which I believe are there to help break the wind) could actually see the beach and the sea.

The Grounds are spotless, there was always someone tidying, cutting or scrubbing, in fact that applied to the hotel as a whole, this was one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in (even the pool bars didn't have that funny smell they can have sometimes)

The food was very good, with a massive choice, yes it is all inclusive so there will always be an element of same old, but that was negated by the sheer choice available, even for breakfast with all kinds of options available, the a la carte restaurants we visited were the Japanese, Italian and Steakhouse, the Japanese was by far the winner, definitely worth getting a show table if you can.

The Beach is well looked after, it doesn't have shade other than the palm trees, but that really isn't an issue, we just got in the sea to cool down, there are rocky areas, but again easily avoided just by looking where you are walking, the further you move from the pier the sandier it gets anyway...

The staff were all very helpful and friendly, tips were appreciated but we never felt obliged to give, we often left a dollar for drinks (but not every time) the maid we left $5 every other day and $2 a day in the minibar ensured we alway had an extra couple of beers in it.

as far as excursions, we did the Trainer for a day at Delphinus/Xel-ha(we've reviewed this under that excursion on Trip Advisor) a Snorkel trip to a local coral reef with the hotel which was $50 each and well worth the money and took ourselves off to Tulum on the local bus service

An absolutely brilliant hotel & holiday

please feel free to message us if you have any questions

Room Tip: worth an upgrade to Club Premium as a definite and to the Junior Suite if you can afford it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,003 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,562 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!