Barcelo Maya Colonial
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Pool
  • Pool
LM by Inmense(Puerto Aventuras)
6,710 results
All reviewsjalisco buildingseafooda la carte restaurantsmini golfair transatother resortsjapanese restaurantplaya del carmengreat resorttropical poolbowling alleykids water parkpalm treesbarcelo mayafamily vacationwater sportskids club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Flew into Cancun, and met our apple rep outside the airport. Beware that just prior to leaving the airport, after customs, you will be greeted by official looking people asking you where you are staying, and then trying to get you to do free offers which are designed to sell you timeshares. They look official. Keep walking...

1 hour drive to hotel. I had emailed earlier asking for a room in Jalisco (furthest from the auditorium in Colonial). 2nd floor (I like being up, but dont like elevators in Mexico), and closest to the beach. They met my requests.

At check in, they were courteous, but not very warm. I was given a cold drink. They tried to upsell me on some package to be closer to the water, but we turned it down. For the money, we didnt see what we gained. There is no room with an ocean view there, so I saw no reason to spend the money.

We were checked in and at the beach within 15 minutes of getting there....or would have been if I had not stopped to make dinner reservations. The process was easy. We were supposed to get 2 nights, so I reserved Japanese and the Steak house at the Palace ($15/person upcharge....worth it). Of course they would not reserve a show table for us at the Japanese place, but we asked when we got there, and the woman gave it to us. THe last night I reserved one more night, did Japanese again, and got a show table again. (Amazing what a few dollars of tips will do.).

Beach at the Colonial is MUCH nicer than Palace and Much Nicer than Tropical. About on a par with the Beach and Caribe side. Snorkeling is good everywhere, not great, but good. Turtles over by the palace, Rays over by the dock (between Colonial and Caribe.).

Rooms are OK. The bathrooms are small, the beds hard. Our balcony was lovely, the rooms were immaculate, and everything worked well. Lots of TV stations on the 25" TV, but we hardly watched.

Food was surprisingly not good. Breakfast was just OK, hard to mess up omlettes, but bread doesnt do too well in humidity. Lunch was bland. I am not a gourmet, by any means, and I was not expecting great food, but on a scale of 1-10, this was a solid 5. Just bland. The presentation was quite nice, the layout was good, service was good, but once you sat down to eat, it was not tasty or fresh or good.

To avoid starvation, they have a few bags of chips and nuts in the room, along with beer and sodas. We drank only diet coke and for some reason that is what wasnt replenished.

Drinks were also, pretty dang horrible. The strawberry daquiri's were so tart, i am sure the mix was wrong on them. We dont drink much, so it wasnt an issue at all. Diet coke out of the bar gun was horrid tasting, but at the snack place it was fine.

Entertainment was laughably bad. Keep the bar low, you wont be dissapointed.

The pools were very clean. Never an issue getting a chair in a good spot, no one played the chair game.

Hey, you know how every resort has a picture of a hobie sailboat in the catalog, but when you get there it isnt working, hasnt been in the ocean in years...Well, at Barcelo they had 8, and they took us out and taught us to sail. Free,. Very nice touch.

For the money, staying at the Colonial section was the best for me. Best beach by far. The palace has a worse beach, much worse layout, better ala-cartes, but for $30 my wife and I 'upgraded' one night.

So why, given the bad food and drink, did I give it a 4 out of 5? The service was good, and the place was clean. I had not a worry in the world about getting sick from the foot, or the water. The beach was very clean, I got to snorkel for hours on end. My room was located near the beach, and my room was always clean. I didnt go to Mexico looking for Gourmet meals or great entertainment, If I wanted that I could pay double. I came and had a great time and that's why I liked the place so much.

Room Tip: Jalisco is the ring furthest from the "Night show", so quieter. 2nd floor gets you off the ground floor (racoons!) but not so many stairs you regret the decision.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank martyinGA
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2016

Dear martyinGA:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our first time in Mexico. This resort is a little over a hour from Cancun airport. Upon arrival we got checked right in. There was not cold towels or free drinks waiting for us like other resorts we had visited. The rooms are average. The one we had could use some updating. The pools are nice and big. The staff is friendly and very good. Although the beach is hugh, there is only a few places you can enter without breaking a toe or foot on rocks. The majority of the beach is hugh rocks and corals which you can not enter. There was not signs to warn us and my husband hit his foot on a rock and cut it open on the first day. We meet a couple a few days later that did the same thing. The women badly injured her foot on the rocks. There is nightly entertainment. It is ok. The "Circus" we saw was interesting but the next night it was "Battle of the Sexes". They used resort guest in their game. We ended up going back to the room as it was something a high school would put on. We ate at "Santa Fe" restaurant two nights. The dress for the formal restaurants are pants for men. We had to buy pants at the lobby gift shop only to see then allowing men in with shorts. "Santa Fe" was a good steakhouse. You are only allowed to eat at the formal restaurants twice during your stay and you have to make reservations in advance. I would say this is an average resort. We have stayed at better (Hard Rock Hotel). If you can get it for the right price, it would be worth the stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A L
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2016

Dear Angela:

We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for a training conference in April 2012. If you want a lot of activities and amenities without leaving your resort then this is definitely a great option for you. There is a shopping plaza right outside the lobby with a great disco, you have access to 4 of the 5 resorts in this mega-complex. There is a great water activities center, plenty of dining options, a Roman Catholic chapel if you would like to go to service on Sundays. If you do feel like venturing off the resort it is only 10USD to get to Playa del Carmen. We took an excursion to Tulum and Xel Ha and it was a beautiful outing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank LittleTigerLily

Dear LittleTigerLily:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I must say, this was the most amazing place I have ever visited. I have no idea where the bad reviews come in to play. But I love this place. If you can't find something you like to eat or do here, you are way to picky. It is huge and immaculate, inside and out. The shows are awesome as well the entertainment in the shop area, The room we stayed in, in the Jalisco building, was HUGE!! The bathroom was to die for with two showers and a bathtub and a separate area for the commode. Thumbs way up high for this place. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jalisco building it was awesome!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Vestfamily

Dear Vestfamily:

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We traveled with a group of 23 the check in was not friendly we paid $200 to upgrade for WiFi, premiumdrinks ,& free room service. They do not give premium unless you ask every time, we were unable to access WiFi in our rooms or anywhere else and if you did it would kick you off after 2mins our room key didn't access the VIP room for 3days they would not compensate any of us for it. We went a whole with no towels had to ask for them 3 times. They are not friendly to Americans. The restaurants were really good and good service that's the only good thing. I have tried other resorts there they were great and friendly I nor the 23 people will not return back to this one not to mention half hour double charged for upgrade we paid at the beginning and they made us pay again or we could not leave they would not give us our checkout slip to get on our bus THEY WERE JUST AWFUL!!!!

Room Tip: Do not upgrade its not worth it
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Nycole P

Dear Nycole:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Best Regards.