“Average at most”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Atlanta, Georgia
“Average at most”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife, daughter (4 y.o.), and I spent 7 days at Barcelo Maya Colonial in April 2013. Here are my notes for those interested:

1. If you are looking for a noisy, fun resort with good entertainment - this place is not for you. There are no activities like you see at other resorts, the entertainment team is sleepy and hides all day. Management is unfriendly and not helpful. Takes a few phone calls and trips to the lobby to get their attention.

2. The beach is nice but there are a lot of rocks in the sea. You have to go away from the hotel beach to get a sandy entry into the water. There isn't any shade on the beach either.

3. Food was OK, not much variety but pretty good.

4. Kids club is a joke. It's basically a babysitting service with nothing to entertain the kids.

5. Our room on the bottom floor was moldy and reeked. Our clothes were always damp because of the humidity in the room.

Summary: Will not go there again. The only attractive thing about this resort is the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Clubok
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, May 30, 2016
Dear Clubok:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My daughters and I travelled February 2013 with 5 other family members. We ranged in age from 9-65 years. The resort is a little pricier than some in the area but I must say I have absolutely nothing negative to say abut our experience. The accommodations were wonderful, grounds were absolutely beautiful and the food was tramendous. The evening entertainment kept us hopping and the kids` interest at the theatre. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. There were a few times we needed extra towels (with 4 women sharing a room) and they were quick in fulfiling our requests. This was my first vacation in which I was able to snorkel. We saw plenty of colorful fish and even a stingray. The pier had hundreds of fish around so we were able to see lots. A couple we ran into saw turtles when they were snorkeling. All the snorkeling we did was done right off the beach in abuot waist deep water. We took a cab to Playa Del Carmen and then to Tulum Ruins. Both experiences were great except the vendors in Playa Del Carmen were pushy and my teenaged girls were intimidated by that. Tulum was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The cab drivers dropped us off in both locations and then waited for us to return to take us back to the resort. They waited for hours and wouldn`t take payment until after we returned to the resort. They were very friendly and knowledgeable, telling us what to stay away from and places to get the best deals on souveniers etc. I will return next February and have recommended it to many people. This was my sisters` 4th trip to this resort and now i understand why. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Premium rooms which are closest to the beach and pools. They are further from the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bluemacnancy
Dear bluemacnancy:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our first two days were a little overwhelming at first learning the ropes of the all inclusive resort and setting up message and wonderful trip with adventuras mayas crew. Our guide isreal was awesome. Zip line, rappelling, fresh water snorkel, snorkel in ocean with sea turtles, sting rays, crabs, all different fish and beautiful coral. The buffet was aewsome. Great variety of food. The seafood and Italian restaurants were good. Just so much to do and see. Very beautiful landscaping and all the staff very nice and helpful. Need to stay at least a full week. We did four days and not just long enough. Oh ya, the pool and booze was great time too.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear mattandmal

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We took a 7 day trip to this spectacular resort. There was not one thing to complain about. The food was great, the service was great. The beach was the best part, you could snorkel all day here. The restaurants had great service and food. I loved that you didn't have to Jockey for poolside sears at 5 am! There was always chairs available. We hope to be back again this year with the kids.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Axerri
Dear Axerri:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend here.
I appreciate your positive notes I was very happy to read that you liked the facilities, food and services that we offer.

Warmest Regards
Blackfalds, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I, along with 40 some wedding guests spent a week at the Barcelo Maya Colonial. To start with the resort, it was beautiful. This was the 5th all inclusive resort that we have visited together, and my 9th in total. The BMC is definitely one of the nicer resorts we have been to.

The rooms were your standard room, we were lucky enough to have a king bed so really no complaints here. We did not experience any of the housekeeping issues that it seems other guests have. We always had clean towels, a clean room, a stocked mini fridge (except for one day), and gladly left $2-4 a day.

Next is the resort itself, it definitely does take some learning to find your way around. I will agree with some that the signage could have been better (especially after a few drinks), but on the upside it gave us a chance to explore the resort a little more! After day 3 there were no problems. Past that...the grounds were beautiful and well kept, the pool area was a lot nicer and more spacious that a lot of resorts we have been to, the beach was beautiful and well kept, and the swimming area was definitely manageable without water shoes. There never seemed to be a problem finding a beach chair, a few times we packed up our things and moved across the pool area from one side to the other in the middle of the afternoon and had no problem finding sun or shade chairs. We did however talk to another couple who was there on a two week stay that said 2 days before we arrived the resort was a zoo. You could not get a chair after 7am, and HUGE lineups for drinks and food. So perhaps we just lucked out and got a nice slow week.

The pools (like I said) where beautiful. You could grab a drink at one end and wade all the way to the other, meeting people along the way and sneaking under the fountains along the edges. It definitely was the highlight of the trip for our group, as we seemed to spend most of our hours around and in it. Not once did I hear anyone from our group (ages 1-65) complain about the temperature. There is also a small activity pool with basketball nets and sometimes a volleyball net strung across. On a few occasions our group went to the kiosk next to the pool and signed out basketballs/volleyballs for a little change of pace. The one far side of the main pool has numerous activities throughout the day. Probably my favourite part of the pool area, although I never got to enjoy it, was the kids area. Definitely the best I have seen at any resort, I was considering hijacking a child from our group so I had an excuse to go and play myself! The kids "park" has numerous slides off of every side, a decent sized wading area beside, little waterfalls falling off all corners and sides, and every kid looked like he/she was having a blast.

As far as the food goes, it wasn't the worst...but definitely wasn't the best. What they did have was good, the buffet just really seemed to lack selection. There were more than a few mornings where they seemed to be out of one item or another. Many things that have become our standard when visiting all inclusive buffets for breakfast (this is the one meal where both of us like our "home" comfort food) where not available. 2 days they were out of pancakes (even on return visits part way through breakfast to see if it had been restocked), 4 days there was no bacon, 2 days they had no cut fruit aside from the finely diced stuff to put in yogurt, 2 days no brown toast...just little things we noticed but in reality, your breakfast isn't going to make or break your day in +35 weather lounging poolside! We did go to two a la carte dinners out of our four and had zero problems booking. Likely because the resort was so quiet, but either was it worked out well for us. Our first was the Italian which is typically my wife's favourite. Our server immediately came and directed us to the salad bar, even before offering us any water or drinks. We also noticed most others ordering appetizers off of the menu after we had grabbed our plates from the salad bar, even though we were not given that as an option. The appetizers were ok though, and we carried on having a few glasses of wine into our entrees. Terrible...unfortunately that's the only real description I can give. Neither one of us are food critics by any means, and there isn't much that either of us don't like, but we tried each others and neither of us had interest in eating much. We were a little disappointed, finished our wine, and skipped out on dessert...all in all not the greatest experience. The Japanese was our second, and we were seated at a show table. Japanese is always my favourite and this was our first time at a show table. I'll keep it short...hands down best a la carte that either of us have had anywhere. The only downside was they mixed up my wife's meat and she received shrimp instead of chicken. But both of us agreed, the best yet.

Now the only downfall to our trip, the service. I'll start with the good! The lobby bar staff was always very good and friendly and chatted your ear off while you were up ordering your drinks. This is the type of service we are used to at all inclusive resorts. You keep the tips coming and your bartenders laugh and joke and have fun, and basically keep you WANTING to come back not just for the drinks but for the entertainment. Also the Mariachi Grill behind the swim up bar had great staff for our daily poolside lunches. No problems getting a glass of water or a drink, plates cleared quickly, and never a rush to leave. The front desk staff was also very friendly and suprisingly carefree while remaining professional. This is where the good stops though. The poolside service was the WORST I have experienced anywhere. A good chunk of our group remained mostly together around the same pool and same bar all seven days. We even had the same 10 chairs blocked off every day. We typically had between 6 and 12 people in the pool throughout the day drinking away and having fun in the sun. There were times when it took easily 15 minutes to even get a bartender to look at you. Like others have mentioned, it was often faster to jump out of the water and walk up to the other side of the same bar (even though it was the same two or three bartenders running both sides). This poor service came as an even bigger shock to me because it wasn't for a lack of trying on our part. Every drink order (and there were lots of them) was accompanied by a $1-5 tip. I figured by day two or three for sure that we would have nearly there full attention, seeing as how there was only maybe 10 people total in the pool aside from our group. But the poor service continued throughout the duration. We did venture a few times all the way across to the second swim up bar which was far busier, and the service was a little better, but still not what you would expect. With this being the place that we spent most of our time, it definitely contributed the the 4 stars vs. 5.

All in all lovely resort, even better pool area, very clean, average food, beautiful weather, and so-so service.

I should note that the wedding location, and reception area where both awesome. Our dinner for the wedding was great, and this is the one time that we truly had AMAZING service. Our table of eight was made up of a lot of the wedding parties significant others, so we had our own little party in the back, and the waiters and bartenders kept us VERY well hydrated. There wasn't many times that we weren't being presented with trays of shots, and it almost seemed like every time we turned around to flag someone down for a new drink, they were standing right behind us with that new drink. Easily the best service I have recieved in Mexico (and we got married there ourselves last year). I like to tip because I like good service, and I had NO problem handing out the $60 in my pocket throughout the night, it was that good. Our two waiters in particular were Alberto Perez and "Mel Gibson" as he calls himself. I never did run into either of them again, but if you see them, you should be in for a treat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Daryl S
Dear Daryl :

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
Ohio
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Our vacation was supposed to be at the Oasis Tulum. But due to their overbooking problem, we eventually ended up at the Barceló for the rest of our vacation. Of course everyone takes the time to write a review when they've been wronged, but I don't think enough people write reviews when things go right. So I want to take the time to thank the Barceló for saving our vacation and taking a frustrating situation and turning it into the best vacation yet!

I will start with the staff. The staff was already aware of our problems with the Oasis so when we arrived everyone rushed to our vehicle to help with luggage. The women at the desk worked quickly to get us our rooms (7 people, 3 rooms). We were promptly escorted to our rooms by our apple rep and was pointed in the direction of the buffet. By this time we were starving. Our rooms were spacious and very clean. The back patio was nice. We quickly got settled and went to the buffet. We ate here most of the time because they had a great variety and the food was delicious. We ate at two of the a la carte restaurants, the seafood and the Japanese. Both were very good. The entertainment at night was good, especially the battle of the sexes game. Very entertaining. I would rate the alcohol here as really good. Especially if you tip the bartender. The mudslides are great! The beach and pool area is really nice. And since you're connected to 3 other resorts, the beach goes on for a really long stretch. Towards the north side of the beach there is some really great snorkeling spots! I swam with TWO sea turtles! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. As long as you don't freak out and try to touch them, they will let you swim along side them for as long as you like. Just be careful...I found myself a lot farther from shore than I would have liked to be because I was paying more attention to the turtles than where I was. The resort also has catamarans, kayaks, and water bikes, and plenty of them. We really didn't have to wait to long to get them and they're so much fun. My Mother-In-Law and I really enjoyed the shopping center. There are shops all throughout the resort and one large shopping center. Their prices weren't too much higher than the ones at Playa Del Carmen except you couldn't barter (which there are quite a few places you can't barter at in Playa Del Carmen much to my surprise). The only thing I didn't like was that you couldn't pay cash at these stores. You had to pay with card or have it charged to your room. So for people like me who don't like to carry your card on vacation, make sure you bring one for this purpose! There are plenty of things to do in the area. We went to the Tulum Ruins which was really cool and the guides were very knowledgeable on the history of the ruins. We also visited Xel-Ha. That had lots of different fish than what was at our resort and a little more colorful. It was ok but I probably wouldn't pay that much money to go there again. We also went to Playa Del Carmen. That was a lot of fun and I was able to purchase almost all the souvenirs that I wanted. However, when we go back someday I would rather take a bus on my own or rent a car that way I could spend the whole day there. We went on a tour booked through apple and we only had a few hours to walk around which wasn't really enough time for me. I also want a chance to eat at Senor Frogs!

Overall, this vacation turned into one that we will remember for a lifetime. Anyone booking this resort (or any of the connecting ones) is sure to have wonderful vacation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CrystalH560
Dear Crystal H:

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This all inclusive resort is beautiful, clean, and the perfect proximity to the beach. (A great beach for swimming I should add!) It is very large so your room will either be close to the pool and beach or close to the buffet, but I don't think many rooms would be close to both! The lobby bar is open 24 hours but food is sparse between the main buffet hours and at night. The staff is friendly and helpful but not what I expected in terms of service.

The servers at the buffet are extremely hard working! Many of them literally run throughout the meal time and they are still very friendly and helpful, I was quite impressed with them! The service in the Lobby Bar was also quite good, but the swim up bar was very poor service. Our group was sure to tip often and generously yet one bartender would avoid eye contact and they all seemed to busy themselves stocking things or cleaning and would not be available to take an order. I should add we were a polite group of families and professionals and this was certainly not a busy time, with usually only a couple people seated at the bar. It was almost quicker to pop into the poolside buffet for a drink - which happened to be great service and a good selection of food!

We were advised by past guests that housekeeping appreciates small gifts in addition to tips as tips are shared so we purchased some items before we left ($5-15 each) that we left each morning along with a tip. I'm not sure either were fully appreciated as one day we received a mint on each pillow and another day we received one mint in the center of the bed but other than that there was no indication of receipt of items (other resorts will leave towel arrangements, fresh flowers, etc - we did not even get our bubble bath restocked!) We also did not get our snacks/beverages restocked 3 days out of 7 but luckily we had brought some snacks of our own.

We only booked one restaurant meal at the resort and it was at the Japanese place which was AMAZING! We were at a show table and the chef was fantastic and the food was easily the best meal we ate in Mexico!

While I was disappointed with some areas of service (we spent most of our time in the pool so it was very noticeable...) overall our experience at this resort was wonderful. The pool is huge and clean and has a great view of the beach, the rooms are comfortable and spacious with a balcony, the people are friendly and the drinks are delicious!

One last thing worth noting is there is no free Wifi at this resort, and it is a bit expensive to get access. They do have computers at various places around the resort where you can get 15 minutes online for $3USD. It is a bit inconvenient but if you know before you go you can leave your devices at home and truly have a vacation!

Room Tip: If you are going as a couple request a King room, it is too hot to share a double bed!! Also, in-ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Barcelo Maya Caribe
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!