“Comparing Apples to Apples” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Winnipeg, Canada
“Comparing Apples to Apples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband, 7 month old baby and I travelled with 4 other family members from March 1-8th, 2013. This is a second time in Mexico. I preferred the last resort we stayed at, my husband liked this resort better.

We arrived at the resort late Friday March 1st. Since there were no others checking in, our check in process with seamless. They asked to see all of our passports. Not sure why they do that, I would rather give my credit card number... We got a room at Jalisco 6139. It was on the first floor and the patio overlooked a good piece of jungle area. It was private and really nice. The first night a cockroach ran from underneath the bed (which scared the your know what out of me). The next morning a giant spider was in the room. It wasn't a huge deal because we are in the jungle and we know the first floor is more prone to little scary creatures getting into your room. My husband and I like to tip the cleaning staff well, because I like a nice clean room to have a good sleep in. I found the cleaning to be a bit below average. One day the cleaning lady took our beach towels, we found her a few doors down to get the back (just so there wasn't a dispute if we never got them back and then got charged $40). The floors didn't ever seem to be clean, and even though we requested the sheets to be changed, the duvet cover never was (they had multiple stains on them). Also, for those tall travellers out there (like my husband is) the shower was perfect. I prefer lots of little buildings (we stayed at Gran Bahia Coba last year). This resort was long buildings with lots of walking, which I didn't mind at all, but it does get loud with all the late nice party-goers in the early hours of the morning.

We found the food to be pretty good. We ate at the buffet dinner twice, breakfast at the buffet everyday, lunch at the buffet and the beach grill. There was lots of variety for every person's taste. We also ate at 4 of the al la cartes. We ate at Kyoto (Japenese restaurant) - The food was excellent and the show was impressive. Marenostrum (Seafood) - I didn't enjoy the food, the soup had way way overcooked seafood. Sante Fe (Steak house) - the food overall was good, but the rib eye (I ordered) was half fat. Mariachi's (Mexican) - also the beach grill during the day). It was my favourite of the 4. It was outdoor, the food and service were the best.

The grounds were well kept and clean. The pool was beautiful right by the beach and there were always enough beach chairs for us to use. Snorkelling off the beach was great - make sure to bring water shoes because it does get rocky.

The lobby bar was enclosed, which didn't make it feel like you were at a beach resort. I preferred the Tropical beach bar. The colonial was the most central to everything (shops). The Colonial was the most family friendly, with waterslides and activities for the kids. We did the mini golf which was a lot of fun and we were able to see a lot of wildlife. I also had to see the resort Dr for an ear infection (too much snorkelling!). He was professional spoke English very well and I felt since I had to pay out of pocket before submitting it that he was honest and didn't feel ripped off.

Overall It was a great trip and the resort was very nice. Would I stay her again, probably, but we also like to try different places and resorts wherever we go.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking a little further - request to stay in Jalisco, it's much more quie...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank markandfeffer
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 1, 2016
Dear markandfeffer:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.
We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards
jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Polish first
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Last year we went to Barcelo Palace it was amazing up there this year we went to Barcelo Colonial and we tried to upgrade for Palace again but it was booked . Then we upgrated for Premium club and it was amazing , we love it so much they gave us excellent deal , thank you Eduardo :) . We were there between Feb 26 - March 5 , first 2 days weather was pretty bad but finally third day was much better and rest of the week was beautiful . They are very hard working people and they deserve to be tipped . Thanks Barcelo for great vacation to bad it was to short only 1 week but next time will be 2 weeks :) . Food and service was very good , thanks again .

Room Tip: Premium club - amazing :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iveta k
Dear iveta k:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
West Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We've stayed at several 5 star AI resorts and although the Colonial is actually rated 4.5 not 5 that really is just a number! As far as over-all enjoyment is concerned we just love it. The service is excellent, the food is good, bar service and drinks are good, the rooms are fine, the atmosphere is relaxed and unpretentious, a family atmosphere for all ages to enjoy. The beach is spectacular. Walking the resort grounds is a pleasure. I'd recommend this place to anyone who enjoys the AI type holiday in the Mayan and for whom the beach is the main thing.
My only suggestions for improvement is 1)the WiFi service. In a resort of this caliber, it should be available to guests for free in the lobby at least! and 2) the bedding and the towels are getting old.
Used USA Transfers for private transportation to and fro once more ... great!
BTW we had perfect weather and the water temp was wonderful. That always makes a huge difference as even the best resort can't compensate for terrible weather.
People with young children will appreciate the calm, gradual and shallow beach with powdery sand and the amazing pools and playgrounds.
See posted pictures by others for what the facility offers.
People from all over the world were enjoying themselves and having a great time. You should too!

Room Tip: The Jalisco section is nice and quiet and a top floor may be a bit of an advantage. There is elevato...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JBLB
Dear JBLB:

Best Regards,
Mount Forest, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial from Feb 24 to Mar 3/13. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. It is huge. I am a runner, and there was lots of space for that. Another bonus was the lap pool, which I used everyday. The beach is beautiful. Unfortunately, when we were there, it was very windy some of the days, so we never did any snorkeling. We could see lots of fish just standing on the dock.
The staff are amazing, very accommodating, and work very hard.
We loved all the restaurants, particularly the Asian.
It would have been nice if there was some more affordable wine for purchase. We felt it was fairly expensive. We drank the house wine, and it was okay.
One tip we got from this site, which we found very helpful, was to take the mattress topper from between the mattress and box spring and put it on top of the mattress. I do not know why it wasn't there in the first place. What a difference that made!
We were on the first floor, and we did find our room to be somewhat musty. That is not anyone's fault, it is just the climate. Maybe a room on a higher floor might be better in that regard.
If you have kids, this is a perfect place for you. They seem to have lots of kid friendly areas, like a water park and even a kids' corner in the buffet.
All in all it was a wonderful week, and I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on an upper floor. We stayed in the 6000 block, and really like that loca...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Flora001
Dear Flora001:

On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

Additionally, we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

Lastly, we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I won't repeat what others have said before....except... superb grounds, above average buffets and some excellent specialty restaurants. Stayed at the Coloniale - Jalisco 3e floor.. Great! Quiet - Go to sleep hearing the crickets, and wake up to the birds chirping...sooo relaxing.. Balconies are also very private. The Beach - Yes!! No running to stake your claim on the few best chairs at 6 AM!! Many chaises longues on the beach ,which is filled with Palm trees. Shade!! when you need it ! (Cuba's beaches are beautiful...but NO shade - you burn to a crisp!) Also..no vendors pestering you. Just the sound of waves and wind.. Riviera Maya is windy at times but the plus side..No bugs.. Never used "OFF" once.. never bitten.. Great meal at the Brasserie (French) restaurant.. Kyoto is a Teppanyaki show... Kids will love it and be amazed. Mare Nostrum is also first class. Modern, exceptionally clean rooms.. Friendly, warm, accomadating staff.. What more could you ask for? Will definitely return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PadanMontreal
Dear PadanMontreal:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.
Wolseley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We attended a wedding at the Barcelo in Feb. 2013.Beautiful location and very fun wedding. I will try to answer a few questions that have been asked on the Unofficial Barcelo Website. Our son booked ala cartes for us before we arrived by using his coupons and then we just reciprocated. You can eat at the Palace if you pay $15.00 per person. We choose to eat on the terrace at the French restaurant and enjoyed the un rushed service. We brought gifts for staff and found that if you did not leave a note with your room # name and signature they could not take them. Take travelers cheques, american or Canadian cash and have it converted at the front desk. Using the ATM is very expensive. You can take a bus or cab ( about 15.00) to the grocery store if you want snacks or toiletries.We were there the first 2 weeks in Feb. the weather was hot and windy. Only saw the tricycles out one day. Take water shoes and your own snorkel. Try out the beach in front of the Caribe less rock and much calmer. The resort is very large and it takes a few days to get your bearings. I suggest you take the Barcelo bus or Trolley on a little tour around the resort to familiarize yourself. Very happy with the whole resort cleanliness, food, entertainment grounds and of course the service. Now understand why so many people are return guest and hope that we will fit that category.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jo-Ann C
Dear Jo-Ann C:

Best Regards.
Pincher Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our fourth time to the Barcelo Maya and our eighth time to the Riviera Maya. Our first stay at the Barcelo was in the Maya Beach side, twice in the Tropical and this time in the Colonial.
This time we booked through My Barcelo on the Barcelo website instead of booking through a travel agent. Got a better price as a result. We weren't sure what to expect since we've always booked through a travel agent before. Here's the scoop.
Arriving from the airport, we were greeted by the fellow at the entrance with a smile directing us to the front desk. The staff booking us in were very pleasant, booking in went quickly and the bell boy brought our luggage soon after we got to our room.
We knew from past experience to book our alacarts as soon as we could after arriving and we managed to get in to them all. The food in all the restaurants were good depending on your tastes. Our favorite is the Japanese, but make sure you ask for the show when reserving if you haven't seen it before. The Steak House and the Spanish are equal, both being very good. The Mexican was the most "fun" and the food was fine, Mexican food just isn't our favorite. The Seafood was good too and we had the lobster, again for some it would be the best, but we aren't seafood fans.

The room was kept immaculate by our maid, she changed the bedding when we asked, always kept everything washed down and fresh. She was even washing down door frames on the inside one morning. If something like a face cloth got missed, I just went and asked for one, not a problem.(This happened once last time)

The bed was very comfortable, but we like firm beds. If you find the bed too firm, ask for a mattress pad.

For those complaining about a "cockroach" in their room. Keep in perspective what part of the world you are in. Cockroaches especially like the tropical jungle and may get in to a room, if you only found one, not a problem, kill it. If there are lots in your room that is something else and a resort problem, call front desk. But our experience at this resort is the bugs in the room have not been a problem. Something that helps if bugs bother you is to ask for a second or third floor room, ground floor rooms are more likely to get a bug or two and keep your screen door closed while on the balcony as well as your room door after entering your room.

The resort grounds are kept immaculate, the staff work very hard at keeping things looking nice. When we took the time to acknowledge them, they were always friendly.
The beach is one of the best on the Riviera. Again the staff work very hard at keeping things clean. If you are an early riser you can go and watch them clean things after the night surf, you will have a greater appreciation for how hard they work for our pleasure.
There are always chairs to be found around the pool and at the beach. Unless you have a favorite spot you would like especially around the pool, take your towel down to save it.

One of the things we like the most at this resort, is the snorkelling by the palace side of the beach. You may get to see turtles, rays, barracuda just to name a few. If you don't snorkel, get some fish food from one of the gift shops(NOT BUNS from the buffet!) it will only cost 14 pesos and goes a long way. Go to the pyre and you can feed the fish or just stand in the water on the beach drop in a few pellets and the fish will swim around you.

We love this resort, it is a great place for all ages, the staff are always friendly when we are friendly to them.
Our only complaint are the tourists who throw cans, cigarette butts and garbage in the bushes, on the beach etc. expecting to be cleaned up after. Please use the garbage can, the walk will do you good and you are respecting those who are working so hard to make your holiday memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a second or third floor room. The balcony is more private and less likely to get bugs in you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank gbjan
Dear gbjan:

We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards

#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 stars 3,691 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental Grand Xcaret All Inclusive Resort
Occidental Grand Xcaret All Incl...
#66 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 10,637 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!