“"Rubber Ducks" second showing”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Group of 20 friends and some family from February 9th thru 16th, 2013. The resort was awesome. Everyone in the group had a fantastic time.
It is a very large complex but didn't overwhelm the senses. The grounds are very well kept and clean. The several pools had plenty of room for everybody with water polo games and a volley ball court in one of them.

The rooms were nice with a stocked fridge of beer, soda, juice and water which was replenished everyday. Other reviewers say the beds are firm which is confirmed to be true. I didn't mind the beds but whatever sheets they use sure did make me sweat. Maybe it was due to the many drinks throughout the day. Our television didn't work well and was missing the remote control but it didn't matter to us because we didn't go on vacation to watch television. Nobody else had issues with the t.v.

The buffets were better than average at the resorts we have been to. Nothing that will knock your socks off but you are sure to fill up on items you find pleasing to the palate. Service at the restaurants and buffets were great. The staff at the resort worked hard to make your stay enjoyable.

The drinks flowed freely and were made how you wanted them. Try vodka and Fanta together on the rocks or blended......you'll love it. I tried to drink them out of Fanta but they kept giving me more. The nightly shows were very good at the theater. A good spot to get warmed up before heading to the disco. For the lucky folks who were at the disco during our stay, well I hope you enjoyed the show and our company during the week. Perhaps a few new disco moves were observed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2016

Dear RubberDuckyWisconsin:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Colonial

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our first impression of the hotel was great until we got to the reception desk. I had been working with the resort since April 2012 coordinating a friend's wedding. We had made our reservations in April but when we tried to check in the front desk staff told us that our reservation had been cancelled and there were booked solid and could only offer us a room at the Palace at an additional charge of $1,200 (we had already paid $1,700 for our stay at the Colonial). I insisted that I didn't cancel my reservation and I couldn't afford the additional charge and after 2 hours of going back and forth with I don't know how many front desk staff they finally gave us a room at the Colonial. Their call center had made a mistake and cancelled my reservation instead of someone else's reservation but they would not admit to their error. If this would have happened in the states, I would have gotten the room at the Palace at the same rate as the Colonial.

The hotel is beautiful but I'm not a fan of all-inclusives because first of all my husband and I don't drink and I am vegan, so I am very limited on what I can eat. But we stayed here because we were attending a wedding.

The wedding planner, Jacqueline was excellent. The wedding was perfect! All of the wedding party and guests were extremely happy.

The staff at the buffet restaurants were great! Thanks to Aurelio, the Buffet Manager for always treating us like royalty and to the many staff that went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. These people work so hard, sometimes 10 - 12 hours per day. Please make sure you tip them well and treat them with respect. They deserve it.

The pool areas are always kept clean as well as the beaches. But be aware that the beaches have many rocks. My husband lost one of his toe nails while bathing at the beach. This of course ruined the rest of our vacation, as he couldn't get in the water. There are no signs to warn you of the rocks, so use water shoes. We saw many people hurt because of this.

The buffet food was okay, although after a few days it is the same. Drinks were absolutely too sweet for my taste. I drank water most of the time.

We ate at Spanish and Mexican restaurants. The best meal I had was the Mexican restaurant (Agave)! Great guacamole and salsa. The best vegetarian fajitas. My husband had the Mexico Lindo meal and he said it was fantastic.

The beds are hard but this seems to be the norm in Mexico. The room was clean. We stayed at the Jalisco building which is very quiet. The only problem with the room was that the water in the tub would not go down fast enough. We had maintenance try to fix it twice to no avail therefore we just showered like that.

Overall, our stay was satisfactory although like I said there are better places in the Riviera Maya but if you like all-inclusive resorts I guess you will be fine here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrincesaLinda

Dear PrincesaLinda:

Firstly, we want to thank you for staying at Barceló Maya Colonial. Secondly, we also want to thank you for your significant comment which is very important for us to improve our amenities.

Thirdly, we also want to apologize for any inconvenience that you have had during your stay with us. Our hotel is working hard and putting its best effort to improve the services and products to accomplish customer’s satisfaction.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo Colonial from 02/17-02/24.
Room: 1622 Bottom level, a little musty but nothing we couldn't handle. We had a very quiet room. Any room in the Jalisco Building is going to be quiet (it's one building away from the disco which isn't even that noisy.) I never made it to the 2nd or 3rd floor room so I'm not sure what they're like. I read in previous reviews that the mattress pad is under the mattress - and low and behold it was there! Beds were better than other all inclusive resorts that I've stayed at. Our air conditioner worked really well. (Pointer - pull out the entire plug in the shower - the whole thing comes out - I think the other people's reviews said their shower clogged really bad - but you need to pull out the plug people! Our's clogged at first where the water was only trickling down the sewer, but we pulled out the plug and voila!) The only issue we had with our room was that our safe's battery was dying, so we went to the front desk and they replaced it within the hour! Great service.

Pool Area: The pool bartenders need to be more attentive to people - I got ignored even after I tipped (really well). Drinks tasted great when I did get a drink. I brought my own cup and that worked out better than their cheap little plastic cups. I really wish the hotel would hire some waiters/waitresses to serve the people out on the beach or under the cabanas. It was a lot of work to get a drink on my own every hour, wait for the pool bartenders to notice me, wait for my drink and get back to my seat. Too much waiting around - not enough enjoyment and relaxation (for the price I paid). Barcelo Maya, there's your suggestion.

Beach: Beach was great! Sand was like powder - no glass. I felt very safe walking around barefoot. Although it's another story for the water. Bring your water shoes! I read this in the previous reviews and ignored this...I wore my fins into the water every single time, it's not worth slicing your foot open! I repeat, wear your fins, flippers or water shoes into the water - there are rocks everywhere!

Food: Food was great. There's something there for everyone! No complaints. The desserts look like they could be in magazines, but tasted otherwise. But I always found something I liked.
We ate at the Seafood restaurant, Steakhouse and both had the BEST customer service, but the food was mediocre - it was still yummy though.

Overall we had a wonderful time and we would definitely return! This place was beautiful!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank MinneGrl
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2016

Dear MinneGrl:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.
We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The resort was really nice but out of a party of four, 2 came home sick and 1 is still sick. Not worth it for a 2 week vacation to come home sick. I don't care what the resort is like, if the food is not good and safe to eat

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cowgirlKamloops_Bc

Dear cowgirlKamloops_Bc:

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to this hotel on December 8 for 7-nights to attend a wedding at the hotel. Everything was perfect for the wedding and it was absolutely beautiful. There were 57 of us attending and every single person loved the hotel, the food and the staff at the hotel. The only complaints were because Apple Vacations forgot to include some of the people for transfers and even for rooms. The hotel staff handled this very quickly and professionally. The property was just beautiful! The buffett was so good we didn't even want to eat in the restaurants but when we did, the food was excellent there as well. We have already booked another group to go back there this coming December. I just can't say good enough things about this hotel. For those who cannot walk long distances, there is a lot of walking. It is spread out over a large area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach otherwise it is a long walk.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dlomme

Dear dlomme:

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions about Barcelo Maya Colonial, we are glad we have accomplished your expectations and enjoyed your vacation with us.
We really appreciate your remarks at our staff, who make a great job trying to fulfill our guests expectations, as our main goal is create unforgettable experiences, we will be happy to reach them your good comments above mentioned.

We hope to have the opportunity to receive you once again, it will be our pleasure to serve you.

Best Regards

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We've been to Cancun several times, and this was our first time in this area, near Playa del Carmen. The price here (with flight and all-inclusive from Ottawa) during the peak season was about $1600 per person, which is $600 more p.p. than what we normally pay for Cancun during the shoulder seasons. We didn't like the long drive from the airport, nor the long check-in wait, which really means that fully 2 days of a 7 day vacation are spent travelling. The 1st room we were given, neaest to the main building, smelled so strongly of toxic mould that we insisted on seeing another, then 3 more, until we were given one in Jalisco which smelled much less than the others (room 6220, on the 2nd floor). Many of our friends said that by the end of the week, even their unworn clothes smelled stongly of mould. I understand that this is a tropical area, but some proper ventilation (heck, just a fan in the bathroom!) would go a long way. As many others have said, the noise from the room above us was tremendous, and even with earplugs, we were awakened several times by moving furniture. Demand a 3rd (top) floor unit if possible. Also, our shower's water pressure was non-existant - literally, the water only fell vertically like a light rain. Nobody else had this problem, so check your shower as soon as you can. We made great use of the advice from previous reviews about using the mattress pad hidden uner the mattress. What was good? The grounds are absolutely stunning, with beautifully manicured plants throughout, beautiful wild animals roaming freely for us to enjoy. The pools are also stunning, with extensive games and structures aimed at entertaining kids for days. The buffet's food was entirely decent and comparable to what we've seen at other all-inclusive resorts in Cancun, though more expensive. Due to the higher cost, we expected the sit-down restaurants to be impressive, but were left quite disappointed. The meat and fish is almost always overcooked, and the large rooms are noisy and much less intimate than what we expected. This being said, service was impeccable at every step. For our tastes, this place was a bit too big and impersonal. Chances of being served twice by the same person over a week are very small, which is something we like about smaller hotels. This being peak season, it was annoying to have to search through hundreds of "reserved" beach chairs to find one. We eventually managed, but I really wouldn't feel any guilt over taking a chair that's reserved with only a beach towel that's identical to everyone else's. The beach is nice but the water hides many weeds and rocks. If you dive into the schools of lovely fish at the dock, beware of the backward-slanting ladder that can make getting out of the water quite dangerous, judging fro the several people I saw get hurt. If you don't have strong arms, stay out. We were here for a wedding, which was lovely, but the wedding planner is quite obviously jaded and bored by her job. She was difficult to get a hold of, and not the best communicator. She had a knack for disappearing just as we needed her. This resort - and all those in this area - is very isolated, which gives them the freedom to monopolize the market on any essential products you might need to buy. Sunscreen will cost you from $40 to $50 per bottle here!!!!!! The cash machine only allows you to take out $100 per transaction, at a cost of $10 per transaction. Whereas other resorts pay serving personnel to take orders from guests throughout the beach and pool areas, here, you must go to the bery busy bar yourself, and fight through the crowd for a very watered-down and chemical tasting drink. Forget about having a pina colada made out of real coconut or a mango smoothie made of real mango. It all comes out of a pre made chemical mix. This was also our first time seeing so many people bring and use huge thermos type mugs at the bars in order to load up on booze. Oh, and for beer lovers, they don't serve the light Corona many love, but rather a darker variety that nobody I spoke with appreciated. To sum it up, we enjoyed ourselves fairly, but will not return to this resort. We prefer Cancun's proximity to services, as well as the more cosy feel of a smaller resort.

Room Tip: Jalisco building, in a room facing away from the theatre, on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank travellingMich
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2016

Dear travellingMich:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I travelled Jan 27-Feb 3, 2013 with a large group for a friends wedding. We had private transportation from the airport through the wedding package which made for a nice drive (about an hour).

At checkin, they provided us with a collection of different resort coupons for things like room upgrades, massages, private beach dinner, etc. When we arrived, our room was two double beds as my fiancee had originally booked to go alone and then I booked later. The beds and pillows were really hard which made for a pretty uncomfortable night's sleep. We requested to be moved to a room with a king size bed which they were able to move us to on the third day. The bed was more comfortable and we requested different pillows which were much better. The new room wasn't smoking and didn't have an ashtray outside on the patio. After calling and asking for two more days for an ashtray because we felt bad throwing our cigarette butts on the nicely manicured ground, I was told because it was a non-smoking room, it was against policy to deliver an ashtray, even for outside so to just use cups because the cleaning staff had to replace them everyday anyway. The bathrooms are nice, large tubs, good water pressure. Couldn't use the hair dryer though, it would blow the breaker after only two or three minutes of use. We found out later that the rooms are supposed to come with red beach towels which neither of ours had, so when we went to the beach the first time, there was a bit of a run-around with staff getting a towel card. Other people in our group didn't have slippers or house coats in their rooms. The mini bar was stocked well with pop, juice, and bottled water. It only has canned Corona for alcohol though so if you prefer something else for your alcholic drinks and don't want to keep walking to the 24 hour bar all the time, I suggest just buying your own bottle from the store inside the hotel to keep in your room. At one point, we had a cockroach on our balcony in the first room but no bugs inside the room at all. Someone else from our group said they had one right outside their door in the hallway as well but again, I didn't hear anything about creepy crawlies in anyone's rooms.

The hotel itself is very nice - marble floors everywhere, covered walkways between all the buildings. Beach is beautiful and kept very clean. 24 hour bar is great for the night owls! The buffet restaurant had decent food and the staff were always very friendly and accomodating. We booked at three a la carte restaurants for dinner - the steak house, the italian and the mexican by the beach. All had amazing food and again great service. They have a small but well-equipped gym onsite which my fiancee used a couple of times in the early morning, very convenient. There is also a nightclub on the property which we checked out a couple of nights, it was a good time. There is a shopping market located on site as well with a few actual stores and then outdoor vendors that sell everything tourist-y you can think of and more. The whole place is actually a combination of 5 different Barcelo resorts all on one property so the grounds are huge - we definitely got lots of walking done. Staying at the Colonial with our regular bracelet, we were able to eat and drink at the bars and resturants on all the other resorts except the Palace. However, if you're picky about your alcohol, there are quite a few drinks that are considered "premium" and weren't included - they were an extra couple bucks that got charged to your room. Not a big deal for me but my fiancee and most of the other men with our group are rye drinkers and that was not something on the regular menu believe or not.

At the same time that we booked our a la carte restaurants, we booked a private dinner on the beach for our last night of the trip. For $290, you get a four course dinner for two right by the water with a private waiter as well as a dedicated coordinator, music playing, the works! It was very romantic. They also had the closest a la carte restraurant closed down during the time it was booked just in case it rained which it unfortunately did half way through, so they quickly moved everything inside and we had the whole restaurant to ourselves for the rest of the duration.

All in all, us along with everyone we were with had a really great time and had pretty great service until checkout day. At checkout, we had two $50 coupons in hand to put towards the private beach dinner we had the night before from the coupons they give you when you first checkin. Only at this point did they tell us we were supposed to give the coupons to the guest service agent at the time of booking the dinner. We found it unfair that this stipulation wasn't communicated to us either at checkin when we received the coupons or by the guest service rep when making the dinner reservation. We argued with the front desk rep about it for close to 10 minutes until she went to get a manager. After arguing with the manager for another 10 minutes about it, they still didn't budge or admit they had somewhat mislead us. So we begrudgingly paid the entire balance but it left a pretty bad taste in our mouths after having such a great time.

I would still reccomend this resort anybody but just make sure you know exactly what's needed from you when doing anything that's going to cost you extra money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank meesha780
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2016

Dear Michelle:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!