New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Victoria, Canada
“wonderful stay at this resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our one week stay(Nov 22-29, 2012) at this resort was our first experience at an "all inclusive" and in this region. The resort is situated away from all the hustle and bustle of big cities like Cancun and on 2 unbelievable crescent shaped beaches that have spectacular natural views, sand and warm calm protected waters. Life guards staff the beaches during the day which provides extra security to those who have children or are uncomfortable around the water. We especially enjoyed snorkeling the reefs right off the resort and walking along the clean well kept beaches. The vast tropical gardens / landscaping and gigantic swim pools are beautiful and well maintained. We had no safety concerns regarding walking around the resort during the day or in the evenings as all the walkways are well lit and the grounds secure; all the resorts along this region are "gated" and have 24 hr security . The resort has a very good buffet and additional restaurants to enjoy. No one we talked to had ever been" ill" from the resorts food and we were told that this resort has its own water purification system installed in all the food service areas. We, without exception, found all the resort staff, and there was many, to be most friendly, always pleasant and accommodating. The resort caters to all ages and most of the front line staff can speak English and French along with their regional language. We were surprised to learn that the resort also has a dedicated medical clinic with a doctor available 24hrs on site. This medical service proved to be a real asset for some of our business tour members health issues that surfaced during their stay. The swift medical attentional and care that they did receive was reported to have been "excellent". We found the location of this resort to be very central to accessing many of the regions "tourist" excursions and for catching the bargain "collectivo" van buses ($3.00 each way per person) that run almost continuously to and from the resorts into nearby towns for shopping etc. Our room on the 2nd floor was comfortable and clean and had large glass porch doors that we kept open whenever we were in the room and through the night to enjoy the fresh air and hear the tropical birds and crickets. Some of the nights were noisy especially when big groups arrived, stayed up clubbing at the disco or bar counters then paraded to their rooms; remember its "all inclusive' ..the free booze fuels it...earplugs would be helpful! Would we stay here again, of course..if you are looking for a beautiful holiday stay in the Mexican riviera you might like to consider this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank footfairy60
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 22, 2016
Dear footfairy60:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
We really appreciate your remarks at our staff, who make a great job trying to fulfill our guests expectations.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards
jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at this as part of a group promotional thank-you put together by our local newspaper for advertising with them.

The Colonial is one of the four 'sub' hotels that make up the larger resort of the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort. This resort is located about a twenty minute drive out of the tourist town of Playa del Carmen.

The Maya features a long stretch of beach that is mostly fine white sand and some rocky outcroppings. The water off the resort is a gorgeous aquamarine. If simply hanging out on the beach and working your tan is your thing, you'll do no better than the Barcelo.

(Note: If you are considering staying in this area, stay away from the resorts in town, if the beach is your thing. The beaches in town are very crowded and a funky, sewage smell hangs over everything.)

The overall Barcelo resort is huge and we never did fully explore much beyond our section of it. Our resort -- the Colonial -- was large, airy, clean and beautifully appointed. Large roomy lobbies, decorative pools and fountains throughout, big comfy lounge chairs and tables to relax and people watch or share a drink, well groomed lawns, grounds and gardens... Walking around outside you're apt to catch a glimpse of the local wildlife on the grounds such as the many iguanas.

The tile flooring used throughout the lobbies, corridors and the rooms is a double edged sword. It looks nice, makes for easy upkeep and cleaning by staff, but it is also an acoustic amplifier. A couple of nights we easily heard late night revelers stumbling back to their rooms in the early morning hours, but generally guests were respectful of signs asking them to stay quiet.

Staff were friendly and polite. There were no real language barriers. Most have a working knowledge of English and 'sign language' helped out in those situations where spoken language didn't. Sometimes restaurant staff seemed a little uncertain of their duties, but I think that many of them were new to their jobs and in training. However, they were always eager to accommodate us and we tipped them accordingly.

There's a wealth of activities to keep you busy even if you never venture beyond the resort. We jet-skied -- helluva lot of fun. We snorkeled -- hang out around the jetty and the rock outcropping just beyond it to see lots of colourful fish. We used the excellent fitness facility -- complete with wet and dry saunas -- several times during our stay. My wife also enjoyed the spa facilities (see below).

They have a theatre where they put on live nightly shows. Highly recommended is the circus show, a sort of mini-Cirque du Soleil. The Disney musical tribute and the Michael Jackson tribute were okay. My wife and I even participated on stage for the 'Battle of the Sexes' night and she won a free 30-minute massage at their spa! As a member of the losing team all I got was a ball cap... :(

The weak spot was the four à la carte restaurant packages that were part of our week long stay. We tried the seafood, the Italian, the steakhouse and the Mexican restaurants. Our roast beef at the Italian restaurant was more like a fatty, tough steak. At the steakhouse, my wife's salmon dish was raw and we had to send it back. (The head chef did come out to apologize to us personally). And although the food at the Mexican restaurant was good, it wasn't very spicy. I suspect they tone it down for American and Canadian palates. However, the hotel and its restaurants are always soliciting feedback so hopefully these incidents were just aberrations.

Other than the restaurants, the daily buffet featured a huge variety of food that catered to every palate.

I'd give this resort a full five stars, but for the minor quibbles I mentioned above. Otherwise, I would easily recommend this resort to anyone as a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mike_Laplante
Dear Mike_Laplante:

Best Regards
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I religiously use these reviews to assist in planning my trips so I thought it was about time I contribute!
I stayed at the Colonial with family from Nov.4-11.
We had a direct flight from Edmonton to Cancun, but once we got our luggage and took the looong bus ride to the hotel we were pretty exhausted. Check-in took longer than we would have liked, but it seemed like the staff were doing the best they could given the fact a bus load of people had just arrived.
Our rooms were fine, ours did face the theater and as other mentioned it is pretty loud at night, but that didn't bother us because we were at the theater every night enjoying the show. The shows were beyond expectations, with so many impressive dance routines and dozens of costume changes!
The buffet was like an other all inclusive, some good and some not so good. There is something to accommodate everyone's taste's though.
We had 4 a la cartes. We paid the extra $15 per person for the French as others had suggested and it was 100% worth it. The restaurant was absolutely stunning, the service amazing and food divine!
My second favorite was the steak house with seafood and Japanese tied for third. The service at them all is fantastic.
The pools were great (yes, a little chilly). We spent most of our time at the Tropical pool. This is where all of the music and activities happen. Even if you don't like to participate it is fun to watch while soaking up the sun.
The beach is incredible and there are plenty of loungers for everyone. Careful getting in the water, it is pretty rocky in some places.
We rented ATV's right from the resort. It was about $35 for the hour. This was a great little afternoon adventure and it was great having them right at the resort so there weren't any long bus rides involved.
We also spent one morning at Tulum. Very interesting to see and the beach there is a lot of fun. (They sell you bug spray on the bus making it seem like you can't live with out it...we bought...it was NOT necessary)
We also went on Catamaya for a day. This was great! Snorkeling, food, music and dancing! The staff go above and beyond to ensure everyone is having a great time. We also saw dolphins on our way back!
Overall this was a fantastic trip! I would definitely return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank MicheJD
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 27, 2016
Dear Michel:

I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.

Best Regards,
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have shared our wonderful experience with Barcelo with friends and they agree that this is the best vacation experience to be found. The food was excellent. the beach is beautiful, the service is always friendly and efficient. We have to thank David Nelson and Luis Garcia for their hospitality and kind attention. Of all of the Barcelo properties we have been to the Colonial at the Riviara Maya is far superior. The only problem we encountered is having to listen to CNN for the entire time, however newpapers were available for some connection to the world. FOX news was sorely missed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank bobpeg4671
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, July 13, 2016
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.
We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have stayed at this resort three times now and every time we were treated so well. The rooms are clean , staff friendly, property kept very well. Food was good .
The beaches are so nice. A place to snorkel and play in the beautiful Riviera. I really love this Resort..

Room Tip: Ask for Junior suite,, garden level ocean view ..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Judy0214
Dear Judy:

We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Instead of freaking out on the employees there I decided to voice my concerns by writing a non-exagerated list of reasons why I found the hotel less than up to par. Some of the reasons are not good enough for me too not want to return, and other factors made me want to leave had it not been for a wedding we were there for I would have checked out.
But first the good things I can say about the hotel:
1. bartenders can make half decent drinks :)
2. the wedding ceremony it self was flawless and beautiful, however our make up reservations were no where to be found the morning of the wedding, and the day of the wedding was our wedding planners day off....
3. the beach is moi bonita (very beautiful)

1. Room has stained white bed sheets & pillows. Stained blood on one of ours & a tare in another one.
2. The towel in the bathroom when we arrived had orange stains on it.
3. When the maid cleaned the room she left the bed sheets and the orange spotted towel as is.
4. The maid took the gross looking random 80’s pillow off the floor and put it back on my bed.
5. Washroom does not have a fan, or a drawer, and looks poorly made and dirty.
6. Balcony door doesn’t lock but the directory books insists we lock it before we leave the room.
7. All outlets in room are used by the appliances & the TV is hard to view from anywhere in the room.
8. Only 2 room keys can be issued max! However, occupancy goes to 4 persons per room.
9. It costs $5.00 to replace a room card but they don’t have an explanation as to why that is.
10. Website lied about a fold out couch which also does not come with bedding. ( no rooms have a fold out)
11 Found that it is NOT all inclusive.
12. No pen anywhere in the room & the complimentary envelopes are already sealed shut.
13. There is a random slipper under the bed with hair on it & I never received the complimentary slippers we were promised.
14. No shower caps available, but plenty of shoe polish.
15. Maids do not always re-stock the fridge, which means no bottled water.
16. Sun screen costs $30.00 at the resort so make sure to bring your own!!! LOTS of it.
17. Found a cock roach in our room under the A/C vent. Tons outside on the balcony even during the day!
18. You don’t control the balcony light, its on a timer. So it turns off and a hoard of cockroaches come out.
19. Concierge/ bell boy left ALL of the bride & groom’s luggage including her wedding dress at the front of the hotel for three hours. The grooms father is the one that noticed and mentioned it when he walked past the lobby on the way to dinner. So even if they insist, you may want to bring your own luggage to your room.
20. Food at night is rather gross & food during the day is rather mediocre.
21. Every concern brought up with the hotel was either dismissed, took days to fix, or they couldn’t help us.
22. Took 30 minutes to check in, over an hour to check out, and they tried to over charge us & claim we bought movies on the TV which we didn’t. After checking out with our party we found that many of us were overcharged for something.
23. Employees are un helpful, rude, often ignore you, and seem un happy.

Room Tip: Takes 10 minutes to walk from the lobby to any room. No elevators, and cobble stone walk ways everyw...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
11 Thank Jaclyn013
Dear Jaclyn013:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Best Regards.
Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
Dover, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Traveled there with my wife and two boys ages 9 & 12. We had a great time. This was our second year in a row to this resort. There is plenty to do on the resort and day trips to ruins are fun too. Book your restaurants as soon as you get there or you may be left out of one you wanted to try. Food was OK overall with plenty of variety.
Snorkeled everyday right off the beach....fantastic. Great trip. Would recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Pete B
Dear Pete:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.

#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 stars 3,687 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental Grand Xcaret All Inclusive Resort
Occidental Grand Xcaret All Incl...
#66 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 stars 10,632 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!