“Barcelo Colonial Tropical Cancun Mexico”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have stayed at this resort three times now and every time we were treated so well. The rooms are clean , staff friendly, property kept very well. Food was good .
The beaches are so nice. A place to snorkel and play in the beautiful Riviera. I really love this Resort..

Room Tip: Ask for Junior suite,, garden level ocean view ..
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Judy0214
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2016

Dear Judy:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,360)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Instead of freaking out on the employees there I decided to voice my concerns by writing a non-exagerated list of reasons why I found the hotel less than up to par. Some of the reasons are not good enough for me too not want to return, and other factors made me want to leave had it not been for a wedding we were there for I would have checked out.
But first the good things I can say about the hotel:
1. bartenders can make half decent drinks :)
2. the wedding ceremony it self was flawless and beautiful, however our make up reservations were no where to be found the morning of the wedding, and the day of the wedding was our wedding planners day off....
3. the beach is moi bonita (very beautiful)

1. Room has stained white bed sheets & pillows. Stained blood on one of ours & a tare in another one.
2. The towel in the bathroom when we arrived had orange stains on it.
3. When the maid cleaned the room she left the bed sheets and the orange spotted towel as is.
4. The maid took the gross looking random 80’s pillow off the floor and put it back on my bed.
5. Washroom does not have a fan, or a drawer, and looks poorly made and dirty.
6. Balcony door doesn’t lock but the directory books insists we lock it before we leave the room.
7. All outlets in room are used by the appliances & the TV is hard to view from anywhere in the room.
8. Only 2 room keys can be issued max! However, occupancy goes to 4 persons per room.
9. It costs $5.00 to replace a room card but they don’t have an explanation as to why that is.
10. Website lied about a fold out couch which also does not come with bedding. ( no rooms have a fold out)
11 Found that it is NOT all inclusive.
12. No pen anywhere in the room & the complimentary envelopes are already sealed shut.
13. There is a random slipper under the bed with hair on it & I never received the complimentary slippers we were promised.
14. No shower caps available, but plenty of shoe polish.
15. Maids do not always re-stock the fridge, which means no bottled water.
16. Sun screen costs $30.00 at the resort so make sure to bring your own!!! LOTS of it.
17. Found a cock roach in our room under the A/C vent. Tons outside on the balcony even during the day!
18. You don’t control the balcony light, its on a timer. So it turns off and a hoard of cockroaches come out.
19. Concierge/ bell boy left ALL of the bride & groom’s luggage including her wedding dress at the front of the hotel for three hours. The grooms father is the one that noticed and mentioned it when he walked past the lobby on the way to dinner. So even if they insist, you may want to bring your own luggage to your room.
20. Food at night is rather gross & food during the day is rather mediocre.
21. Every concern brought up with the hotel was either dismissed, took days to fix, or they couldn’t help us.
22. Took 30 minutes to check in, over an hour to check out, and they tried to over charge us & claim we bought movies on the TV which we didn’t. After checking out with our party we found that many of us were overcharged for something.
23. Employees are un helpful, rude, often ignore you, and seem un happy.

Room Tip: Takes 10 minutes to walk from the lobby to any room. No elevators, and cobble stone walk ways everyw...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank Jaclyn013
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2016

Dear Jaclyn013:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Traveled there with my wife and two boys ages 9 & 12. We had a great time. This was our second year in a row to this resort. There is plenty to do on the resort and day trips to ruins are fun too. Book your restaurants as soon as you get there or you may be left out of one you wanted to try. Food was OK overall with plenty of variety.
Snorkeled everyday right off the beach....fantastic. Great trip. Would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Pete B

Dear Pete:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We traveled to the Barcelo Maya Colonial first week of May 2012 and had a great time. Family of 4, kids ages 6 and 9. Had a basic room, first floor near pool. Great location. Would prefer to upgrade next time to a separate bedroom for adults for more space.
KIDS: They absolutely loved the water park and beaches, snorkeling and we saw the turtles right in front of the hotel. Walked down to Barcelo Maya Palace to snorkel and see all the fish. There are fish off pier in front of Colonial but we liked shallow waters by the Palace. The kids club had great activities and was safe at the Colonial. The teachers were wonderful. Our 6 year old loved it and it was a nice break out of the sun in the afternoons. Lots of food for kids at poolside restaurants. Loved their ice cream stations too.
ADULTS: we loved all the a la carte dinners. As a family the Japanese restaurant was a hit! Kids loved it and so did we. Also liked the steak house. We only ate one time at the regular restaurant at night and did the a la cartes other nights. First week of May no problems with waiting at restaurants or problems getting reservations like I read in so many reviews. However, we were there during a non peak time which I would recommend if you can get away then.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Cindy O

Dear Cindy:

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Let me start this review off by saying that this is the 3rd time in 4 years we have stayed at The Barcelo Colonial. The first 2 years were great. This time not so much. We went with friends who had never been to Mexico before and I wanted them to experience something different then Cancun. There were 7 of us. 2 couples and 3 singles.

Cons:
1. We booked our trip last April. We all wanted king size beds. Not one of us recieved one. We know we are not garanteed a king size bed but booking last April. Really?
2. The electricity in our room was turned off 3 times while we were there for 5 days. We would leave our room in the morning and return late afternoon and the circut breaker would be flipped. The first time I called the front desk and someone came to fix it very fast. The next 2 days I would just flip the breaker on myself. (and before you say it, yes I was leaving tips in my room for housekeeping). None of the other people in our group had this problem.
3. Its time for new beds. The ones there are worn out.
4. All 3 times we stayed at the resort the drinks were just "ok". No bartender on the whole resort makes a drink the same.
5. The last night we were there, housekeeping didn't leave us any towels. Had to call to get some.

Pros:
1. Beautiful place. Very well maintained.
2. Awesome beach. The one reason why we have went there 3 times.
3. Great food. Always a great selection at the buffet and beachside grills.
4. Great shopping if you didnt want to leave the resort.

This is going to be my last time going to this resort. I know this sounds childish but paying $2400 for 5 nights and not getting to sleep next to my wife because we had double beds kind of upset me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank tspencer37

Dear tspencer37:

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband, myself and 13 friends and family spent a week at the Barcelo Colonial the first week of September. Cannot say enough about the resort. First off the grounds are gorgeous!! Constant primping by the grounds staff make this a beautiful resort. Rooms were very nice and staff were very accomidating and curtious. We had two small children along with us and the resort was excelllent for family of all ages as kids activities and pool area is within the adult areas but not so that the adults without children couldnt enjoy the pool would go back in a heart beat and would highly recommend

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank girlcanuk
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2016

Dear Guest:

We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was our first trip to the Barcelo family of resorts, and we traveled with a couple who go there regularly. Spent one week from Oct 13-Oct 17.

Booked into the Colonial, with Air Transat and got the Prestige Package. Check in went quickly and before we knew it we were off to explore the resort. It is very large as others mentioned, but we have no problem walking and it helped work off the food we ate all week.

We booked our a la carte restaturants with the concierge shortly after arriving. We booked the steak house, Italian and oriental with no problems. We got times and dates we asked for. We also paid $15/person to eat at the French restaurant in the Palace. It was well worth it, as the meal and service were tremendous. Of the 4, only the Italian was a bit of a disappointment. The others were great, and especially the Oriental were our cook Pedro put on a fine show for us while he prepared our food.

The buffets were good, but the food was a little repetitive. I am a beef eater, but I was looking for somethings else by the end of the week. Other resorts I have stayed at had turkeys, roast pork and roast beef to serve, but never saw anything like that here. I can't believe I'm saying I got tired of eating rib-eye steaks!! Breakfasts were also very good. If you are a bacon lover and don't see it out, just ask for it. They always have it, but sometimes it is under the counter as there is no spot for it amongst the hot trays on some days.

The pools were great, the pool bars were a bit of a disappointment as others have said. The drinks are watered down. There were a few good bartenders who would add more alcohol if you asked. One special guy was Conception. He served at the Captain Morgan beach bar the first morning it re-opened. He just poured the alcohol until you said "stop or enough".

The lobby bar's were excellent, both drinks and service. There were also lots of munchies available if you hadn't got enough food elsewhere.

The rooms were great and the balconies were a nice size if you wanted to sit out there. The only issue was with the shower heads. They are large and flat with many holes. Although you get good coverage, you sacrifice the water pressure. If you love standing under a blasting shower, these ones aren't for you.

The service was excellent everywhere accept the pool bars. We had no issues communicating with any of the staff.

This was the first time I had gone snorkeling in the ocean. It was an amazing experience. The coral was magnificent, the fish were plentiful, we saw several manta rays and many turtles.

There is an ATV tour inside the resort. For $35.00 you get an our on an ATV as well as a swim in a cenote, all without leaving the property. They even have a photographer that travels with the group, and you can buy your pictures later for an extra charge. You go through the jungle, ride on the beach, and even out on the resort's main road where you can open it up and get some speed.

This trip was just for two couple's, but I immediately noticed the 3 water park's for kids. I had visions of my grand-daughters frolicking in there. Maybe next trip.

This resort was well worth the money. This may now become our resort for future trips. Our other two favorite resorts just couldn't compare.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank DMandGM

Dear Guest:

I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#74 of 216 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!