“Our Wedding was Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Edmonton, Canada
“Our Wedding was Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I were married in May at the Barcelo Colonial. I had been to the Beach resort before, and so we decided to have the wedding somewhere that we knew was amazing. The landscaping, cleanliness, and food choice are immaculate, and one of the reasons that we chose to have the wedding there. We had 55 guests, and the hotel was very organized when we arrived. The price difference between the Beach and the Colonial definitely worth it. The lounge and buffet being air conditioned is just one of the many reasons we are glad we upgraded. Our guests were all blown away with the beauty of the resort, and the friendly staff. Our wedding coordinator, Lillian was beyond amazing. I had been emailing her for almost a year prior to our arrival, and she had already done so many things to make my day perfect. We only had to take a couple hours out of the entire vacation to meet with her and the photographer. She took care of EVERY detail. Nobody had to worry about a thing while we relaxed all the way up to the ceremony. We were supposed to have fans laid out on the chairs at the ceremony, but it rained a lot so without even asking me (worrying me) she kept them and placed them on the plates at the reception dinner instead. It was adorable, and a detail that I'm glad she didn't worry me over. She seemed to try really hard to make our day the best it could be. Our day turned out absolutely perfect. The photographer, Lucy (from smile market on the resort) was also tremendous. The photos turned out amazing. The dinner at the reception was delicious and the DJ had my entire party dancing the entire night when dinner was over!! The staff was so friendly and playful and we couldn't have asked for a better wedding week!!!! Thank you Barcelo!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank KiSha49
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 22, 2016
Dear Kisha49:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Every aspect of this hotel was bad. Food, service, drinks, etc I've never had such poor treatment. We did not feel welcome or for that matter safe. most of the staff had a poor time communicating in english. I would suggest you stay in a Hilton or Hyatt or another American hotel chain. In the past we stayed at both of these American hotel chains and were very happy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Dennis L
Dear Dennis:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.

Sherwood Park, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I recently got married at the Barcelo Maya Colonial resort (July 13-20). We had 28 people travelling with us and overall the trip was very good. If I were to do it all over again I would definietly not hesitate to come back here, however if I was going on a trip with just me and my wife I would choose another resort.

Pros

- The resort is huge, nice big pool, huge beach
- Jaguars (the night club) is phenomenal, great dj, great atmosphere and huge dancefloor. Major plus with a large group of people looking for a great time.
- Lobby bar is a great meeting place for a large group (or just a couple) to meet and hang out. Great service.
- Wedding was amazing, the wedding coordinator was considerate, accomodating and generally made sure everything was taken care of. She worked very hard to ensure we didnt have to. The day was a huge success and I give her a lot of credit. Food was great during the wedding, best I had of the week. Drinks were great. The DJ was incredible, it was an awesome party for us and very private. The ceremony was on the beach with the reception in a private lounge area.
-Food is generally ranges from good to very good. Restaurants are clean, staff is prettty attentive.
-Spa was excellent

Cons

- Check in/out service is very slow. Not many reception staff and even during the summer when the resort isnt full it was very slow to get anything done at reception. If there is a problem with your room (and there most likely will be) dont expect it to get fixed quickly.
- Service is generally average. Restaurant service is good, but responding to calls about room issues and/or laundry etc was quite slow.
- Almost every single room for our group (had one issue or another ranging from slightly annoying (key card doesnt work properly) to very problematic (safe doesnt work properly). The other problem is that staff response to these issues is slow. Dont expect a resolution quickly (took over 3 hours for the room with the safe issue) and if you need to change rooms expect to do it the next day and spend a couple hours dealing with it then.
- Resort is huge, expect to do lots (and I do mean lots) of walking around the resort getting to and from places.
- Reservations for restaurants was super annoying. They booked all our dinner reservations for us and changing them was quite a hassle or generally impossible. What makes this more infuriating is that you would go to a restaurant and the place would be empty. There was a few times the staff would help us an make an exception but generally the reservation system is a con.

Even
-Liqour has a wide variety. Some drinks are very good, some are pretty bad. You have to be very specific what brand of liquor youre looking for. If they use the cheap stuff, it can be pretty bad. Overall though I would say it's a wash.
- Cleanliniess was a draw as well. Generally everything was quite clean but we did find some sheets with stains on them and what not.

In conclusion, as I stated at the start, My pros far out weigh the cons as far as a large group is concerned. Everyone had an amazing week, the wedding was outstanding and if we had to plan another beach wedding we would go back in a hearbeat. But the various small issues do add up and would prevent me from ever coming back here on my own.

3 Thank Damian K
Dear Damian:

Shawnee Mission, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

First my room was not ready when I arrived. I was told the room was not ready due to the hotel being overbooked. The staff was not understanding and downright rude. What a way to start your vacation. They wanted a copy of my passport which I thought was odd (Identity Theft). The service was terrible. I was told that they do not staff for the additional guests. It was almost impposible to get a drink. They do not have waiters at the pool or beach. You had to wait in a line at the bar where one bartender was trying to keep up. This just led to him rushing your drink at it not tasting right. You have to make reservations at the a la carte restraunts or you have to eat at a terrible buffet. They ran out of towels at the pool area. The rooms do not have a good view. The staff was so unfriendly in the restraunts. Everything felt rushed.

I have stayed at other resorts in the area and this was just a plain miss. Too bad. Just stay away...

Room Tip: There is no good rooms other than the one Master suite in each building. And that does not have a c...
9 Thank CanadianZG
Dear Canadian:

Shawnee, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Travelers beware!!!
To start, I have seen reviews on tripadvisor of people that seemed as if the were being petty. Do not write this off as that. To start check in is at 1500. They did not have my room ready until 1730. When I got to my ocean view suite it was a room with a view of the pool and 2 double beds for my wife, daughter and I. I told the front desk this was not acceptable as i booked a king size bed that was in a seperate room from my daughter. They told me that they overbooked the hotel and i had to stay here for the night. Zulema at the front desk told me that I could leave if I did not like it. Mind you I paid an extra $500 for the suite that they said they would not refund for staying in the room. They said I could pay another upgrade fee to get the room I originally booked. The old bait and switch. So here I am in a foreign country with my wife, daughter and I with no recourse. The next day I went to the front desk to change rooms as they left me a message. When I got to the front desk, the room was not ready. I had to wait another hour and when i got to the new room it had no balcony and was an enclosed room. The window had a view of a backside of a building.

When I got to the beach every other couple I ran into that was Canadian or American had a problem with bed bugs or the wrong room. This was true in Caribe, Tropical or Colonial.

The service at the restraunts and the buffet were terrible. The bartenders would not wait on you at the beach.

When I got to the pool they towel guy said I needed a card. After much debate with someone that did not speak English that I never received a towel card, he noticed that I had a wrist band that meant I did not have to give a towel card.

Not very many people speak English here. They do not cater to Americans or Canadians here. Please beware. I have stayed at other resorts around Playa and the best so far was El Dorado Royale. This place felt like they were trying to get you in and get you out with no respect for you or your family.

I am currently trapped here still. The printer will not print my boarding passes. The lady here told me to go to the pool area and the printer may work there, possibly. This has been the worst vacation of my life. Don't write this off as some exception to the rule. Just keep looking. Riu Palace is nice. So is the Moon palace. Your family is worth too much to take a chance.

Travelers beware!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
15 Thank Christopher G
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, June 23, 2016
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Best Regards.
Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
DFW , TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

The Barcelo Colonial is amazing! It is the closest to the beach of all the Barcelo hotel resorts in the chain of hotels. There are plenty of things to do, even free little mini trips, we went kayaking in the ocean with the beech event coordinator and it was a blast. We went with another couple but this resort has plenty to do for kids as well! All the staff were wonderful and always extremely helpful and it was almost as if English was the 1st language at this resort.
The food was excellent, many sit down restaurants to choose from, but even the buffets were high quality and plentiful!! They had a juice bar where you could make your own smoothies which was awesome. They serve Corona on tap which is awesome but we found out after the trip why it was taking so long to catch a buzz off the beer we were told was because it was 3.2 beer, so I would stick with the mixed drinks if a quick buzz is an objective:-)
Our rooms were great, I wish I could have brought the beautiful shower home with me! When we got to the clean crisp room with icy cold a/c we had a fruit basket, champagne, and a fridge full of (non 3.2 canned) beer. We had a wonderful trip and hope to go back to the same hotel with the same couple sometime soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room if you like being close to nature, we had a walk out patio that felt lik...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MissElizabeth8-D

NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed in Barcelo Colonial in July 2012. The ride from the airport wasn’t too long – about an hour. The resort is beautiful. Grounds are very well kept and look amazing. Very nice and large pool. Although, if you want to sit on the lounge chairs in the pool area you have to get there early. Beach is amazing. White sand and turquoise water. A lot of rocks so water shoes are a must. We were able to find chairs on the beach at any time so it looks like the pool is the most popular.

Check in took a long time, even though there weren’t that many people so front desk is a bit slow.

The room was very spacious and clean. Our clothes smelled a bit misty but I wasn’t shocked since we were in a tropical place. Surprisingly not that many mosquitoes all around the resort. We read few reviews about theft at the hotel. They have complimentary safe in every room. We used that and did not have a problem.

The buffet food was great. They had a pretty good selection and could always find something to eat. The ice cream was delicious and worth the wait in line. We tried 2 restaurants – Japanese and American Steakhouse. We loved the hibachi at the Japanese restaurant. The American Steakhouse was ok.

Most of the staff was very friendly and helpful. If you want a decent drink a tip is a must. Otherwise you just getting a drop of alcohol. Bottled water is available at all the bars.

Overall this is a great resort. We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,931 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#67 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,396 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!