“Perfect for a vacationing family”

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Just back from 1 week at this great hotel. The weather was an amazing 84 degrees with sun every single day. Nights had a nice humid breeze. It was not too cold to eat outside every night without jackets....just amazing weather.
Size- We chose this all inclusive for its size. If you prefer a large all inclusive with lots of places for respite and/or romantic hide aways, this is not the place for you. If you want quiet and few kids around....this is not the place for you either! If you are looking for a safe place where your children can swim in a sheltered cove (with a water trampoline, rock climbing wall, and great snorkeling right off the beach) and lots of energetic daily activities.....this is the perfect place for you. Don't get me wrong, you can walk and get away a little bit from the crowds but this place does not have a long walking beach and private sunning areas. There are plenty of shaded chairs but you have to get up early to get them. We did notice that they brought in stacks of new chairs during the week and securing a chair in the sun was never a problem. The shaded areas were high real estate! We brought our snorkel stuff and were glad we did. We saw lots of different fish. We took a roll from breakfast every meal to lure them over. Pools- very, very busy....full of kids and the entertainment staff clowning around. We felt very secure with our son (9 years old) being able to go get a smoothie, swim, play volleyball,etc. without our watchful eyes constantly on him. It is a wonderful place for families. I can't stress that part enough.
Kids club - our son is 9 and he went for a couple hours and was the oldest one there. He didn't want to go back. It was more geared that week for the 3-8 year old crowd. Parents with kids in that age range were raving about it.
Rooms - we were on the ocean side, 5th floor. If they assign you the second floor and you paid for ocean view, tell them right away that you want to move up. You can not see the ocean because of the palm trees. Anyone on the ocean side will experience the music and pool noise until at least 8:00. It is very loud. The view was worth the trade off to us. It was beautiful to watch the sunrise every morning and the people watching was fun, too! You should request the marina side if you have early to bed or napping children. The marina side also gets the late afternoon sun and faces the adults only side of the hotel. The hallways are marble and every flip-flop "click" seemed to echo. The rooms are marble floors, too. The upside to this is the lack of the famous moldy Cancun odor from the humidity. No smells. Each room has insense if you would like to burn it. Rooms had hair dryers, irons/boards, scale, and umbrella. The hotel was decorated in a trendy Mexican motif. If you are looking for traditional, old world, grand style Mexico decor, you will not like it. We liked the boutique hotel style.
Food- excellent. Every meal was good. We did not have a bad one. The variety was impressive. Breakfast was especially good. Outside is a crepe station. Inside you had all kids of choices from omelettes and bacon to many Mexican varieties of food. Fish tacos and skirt steak were very good at the other restaurants. Paella cooked poolside around 1:00- yummy. Room service is 24 hours and surprisingly great! One of the reasons we chose this hotel was due to no reservations and no rules about which restaurants you can go to and limited visits. Here, it's any restaurant, any time. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes at any restaurant and the hotel was booked solid last week.
Service- over the top. The staff bends over backward to accomodate you and remembers your preferences. I think they are told they will be fired if they do not say "hola" every time a guest walks by! Rooms cleaned well and turndown service at night. Cleaning staff around the hotel (pool, windows, bathrooms, halls) always cleaning, cleaning, cleaning!
Tipping - We brought pesos but everyone else had dollars. Everywhere we went, prices were marked in dollars and we had to inquire about pesos. We tipped a lot because we appreciated the service, it really was remarkable.
Location- This was about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the airport. We booked Cancun Valet (online) so we did not have to stop at other hotels and they were on time each way. We chose this resort so we could walk off property if we wanted to do so. There is a marina with shops and restaurants near by. You can also watch people swim with the dolphins right there at the marina. You can also see the manatees just by walking around on the docks. There are plenty of fishing boats and other yachts, a fresh food market, etc. All very safe and everyone friendly.
Excursions - We swam with the dolphins at Dolphinarus (at Excaret) due to the natural environment, the small ratio of people to dolphin (we had 3:1) and the length of the experience (50 plus minutes). It was worth every penny. They kill you on the picture and video prices. We did the Tulum Extreme excusion with Aventuras Mayas- ziplines, rapelling, small cenote swim, lunch, and guided tour of Tulum. I made those reservations on line and it was an amazing day. Highly recommend it even if you are afraid of hieights like me. I made myself do it and I am so glad I did. The guides were safety concious and fun to spend the day with....again, worth every single penny.
Entertainment - We didn't participate much with the nightly stuff so I can't comment on that. They had a circus show my husband and son attended and they really liked it. I heard from someone else that the Elvis show was good. We watched the movie on the beach each night and loved the choices (Night at the Museum, Toy Story 3, etc.). The beach side Fire and Ice show was captivating for the kids. We heard from some other guests that the disco, karoake, etc. was pretty dead at night. The day time volleyball, pool games, dancing lessons, etc. seemed well attended and everyone was laughing and smiling - not sure if it was the fun or the margaritas....

8  Thank traveler1ct42
Write a ReviewReviews (4,939)

Reviewed February 26, 2011

My wife and I spent our 30th anniversary at Dreams Puerto Aventuras with her cousin and his wife. The only negative is the long drive from the airport. Once you arrive at this beautiful hotel, you even forget that.
Our room was Ocean View in the Preferred Club. Our thanks to the hotel for the upgrade. We had a great view of the beach and Cozumel in the distance. The room was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable.
We ate at every restaurant during our stay. There was plenty to choose from at the World Cafe for breakfast, including omlettes and eggs to order. Our favorite for lunch was the Seaside. Try the fish tacos and the shrimp cocktail. We also enjoyed the Mexican and Italian restaurants. We recommend the filet mignon at the Italian and the Grouper at the Mexican restaurant.
This was our third stay at a Dreams resort. We all agreed that the most remarkable aspect of a stay at Dreams is the service. All the employees are very friendly and they cannot do enough for you. Our special thanks to Lindsay Sherman (E Concierge), Arely Vidaly (Restaurant Hostess), Manuel (World Cafe), Noe (Seaside) and Johan (Entertainment).
Take a walk to the Marina to see the dolphins, sting rays, etc.
As others have said, there were a lot of families with children at the hotel. However, if you wanted to get away from the young ones, it was easy to find a fairly secluded spot on the beach or find your way over to the adult pool on the marina side of the hotel.
I must admit that, as with most hotels, you need to get to the beach/pool early to reserve chairs to get your favorite spot. They fill up early.
We're already thinking about going to Dreams Riviera Cancun next year.
Visit Dreams Puerto Aventuras....you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank CapeCodWashAshore
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This hotel was beautiful. I was very impressed with the cleanliness- even though it is right on the beach and we were dragging in sand every day our room and the public areas were never sandy or wet. The service was also excellent at the bars and restaurants. I though the size of the room was above average with nice furnishings and great sheets and a truly comfortable bed. We had reserved the least expensive ground floor room and upon arrival were upgraded to a "marina view" on the second floor. I have to say, if I had paid extra for a marina view I would have been very disappointed. From the second floor the only view is the adult pool and bar area.
I found the food to be surprisingly good for an all inclusive. My favorites were the mahi mahi and strawberry desert at Oceana, the fish tacos for lunch at Seaside Grill, and the sweet corn tamale appetizer at El Patio. Dishes that I would avoid are the roast beef sandwich from Seaside, the minestrone soup from Porofino, and the sushi at the sushi bar (tons of cream cheese on many of the rolls that was really not pleasing).
On to the negative aspects of this resort. While I would recommend this resort to a family with young children, anyone else would be better to travel elsewhere. My boyfriend and I like our occasional drink but did not want spring break atmosphere for our vacation. We are usually not bothered by children and are laid back and fairly easy to please. I booked this resort knowing it was a family resort but I did not expect it to be only for families with screaming children everywhere (except the small adult only side). All the activities were geared to children and the large hot tub on the beach side of the resort was taken over by small children who used it as a swimming pool (and occasionally a toilet). The doors to the rooms must have been very thin because starting around 6:30 every morning the sound of children screaming and running through the halls woke us up.
Additionally, the issue of reserving beach chairs with towels was completely out of hand. We refused to be part of the problem and leave towels on chairs that we were not using so we were left unable to find beach chairs most days. The hotel really needs to enforce it's no reserving beach chairs policy. On the one day we managed to get two chairs, we watched people leave towels and sunscreen on the five chairs in front of us and did not return for at least four hours (we left before they returned).
While we had a wonderful time on our vacation, I would not return to this resort or recommend it to friends as there are better options for people traveling without children.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NutMeg17
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Dreams Puerto Aventuras

Our extended family (Husband & Wife, sons 8, 6 and grandparents) just returned from Dreams Resort in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. We are from suburban NY and both professionals. Overall this was a great resort all-inclusive hotel to travel to with kids, good value, and would rate 3 ½ or 4 star hotel based on the facilities. The service was outstanding. I wanted to pass on the information we learned to Tripadviser readers because we used this site almost exclusively in choosing our resort.

Booking/Transportation

We booked through cheapcarribean.com. We purchased air, resort and private ground transport to the resort which is 1 hour and 20 minutes from the Cancun Airport. Jet Blue flights were on time and terrific. There were two slowdown checkpoints on the way from the hotel where men with AK 47s looked slowly at the cars as we drove by. No problems checking into the hotel, they upgraded us and gave us $200 in “coupons” to use in the hotel. We did have a problem with ground transport, the reservation was not given to the ground crew (Olympus travel) so we had to wait 45 minutes for our ride to the hotel. As a result, I cannot recommend using cheapcarribean.com as they were not able to follow through on one of three tasks that we paid for (we paid 200 for a private transfer b/c we didn’t want to wait around after a long flight). I would recommend that you go through an actual travel agent like my parents – they got a better deal than we did and didn’t pay for their transport. Also, don’t go for the tour at Dreams Tulum – this is a timeshare pitch. We didn’t go, but we knew others who did.

Resort Grounds

There is a gated entrance where ids are checked. The entire perimeter is fenced and seems very safe. The resort is located in the port town of Peurto Aventuras, a planned community of condos, villas and hotels around a Marina lined with restaurants, souvenir shops, real estate offices, tour guide outfits and a wonderful Dolphin Center where you can swim with the dolphins or just watch others interact with them – it was truly wonderful and enjoyed by the whole family. This is a small resort and good to go to if you have kids who you don’t want to relegate to the kids club, but also want to keep an eye on them while allowing them some independence. The kids club was a real disappointment, but more about that later.

The hotel is a renovated older hotel. The lobby is marble, open-air as are the hallways through the hotel. It is not super luxurious, but nice enough and very family oriented. We were there over winter-break and 90% of the people were there with their families. There were kids everywhere and something to keep in mind; if you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, this probably not the place for you.
The beach side is where all the activities take place.
Here is a typical Schedule:
9am, Yoga,
10 am Walking to the Dolphinarium or Dive lessons,
11am Snorkel Tour, Bungee Jumping or Beach Volleyball,
12 pm Water Aerobics,
2pm Ping Pong Tournament,
3pm Zumba or Salsa lessons,
4 Beach Volley Ball or Crazy game by the pool.
6:30 Video Games in the lobby,
8:00 Rock band in the lobby,
10:30 DJ Party in the Disco.

The staff is fun, energetic and does a nice job of getting people to participate. I took some exercise classes and they were fun.
The grounds of the Hotel are not large; I would estimate just a few acres. One side of the Hotel abuts the Marina, the other the beach. There is a large pool on each side. The adult side (no kids permitted) faces the Marina and is very tranquil. There is a full size pool (my parents did laps every morning), hot tub, swim up bar and the Oceana restaurant. On the otherside of the hotel, the Beach Side, there is a sheltered beach that is surroned by a coral reef which makes it very safe for kids to swim. In the protected beach area, there is a large water trampoline, inflatable climbing triangle thing, as well as kayaks and catamaran sailboats to take out. You need to book these by 8:30am when the hotel is full or you will not be able to take them out. There are also snorkels and fins you can use, gratis. FYI: You can’t take the sailboat out yourself, but must go out with a staff member (my father was especially bummed, as he is a good sailor). The hotel created a lovely lagoon, It is a nice quiet place to read a book on the beach with very few kids. The lagoon is around the side of the hotel and is a great and safe place to snorkel. We brought bread and attracted tons of fish for our kids to see. The bar next to the lagoon has swings and a great view of the ocean. The area between the lagoon and beach appears to be a man made beach Sand was extended to the other side of the hotel (from the beach to the lagoon) and the surface under the sand is hard and not a good place to play volley ball (everyone in my family got a small injury in this part of the hotel beach) although this is where they do play this and beach soccer.

Guest make up and Entertainment

We were there over winter break, so there were families with children from all over the USA and Canada. There were also some English people. Not a lot of tattooed folks or people who hung out at the buffet all day. This is not the place to go for action at night, the disco is deserted and most people turn in early (myself included). I only saw two shows as my kids go to bed early. The shows I saw were painfully boring, but that is not why we choose this resort and was not a deal breaker. My parents saw the Elvis and Michel Jackson shows and said they were fun.

Room

We had room 555 facing the Marina, it was a quiet room as it faced the adult side and my kids could take a nap in the day. We had a great view and saw some great sunsets. We were also away from the main hallway, so we had very little noise from the hallways that others have complained about. The room had two double beds (a bit tiny for us, but fine). The pillows were horrible, but we exchanged them for feather pillows. We left the maid a few bucks every day and our room was nicely cleaned. My only complaints about the room are (1) No Dresser for clothes (2) there was not enough privacy in the toilet area (glass door that closed) and (3) not enough light for reading. The ceilings were vaulted, and gave the space an airy feel. We had a balcony with chairs and a table for drinks and this was nice. The floors were tiled throughout. We had a little problem getting our keys to work the first day, but it was resolved. If I were to do it again, I would probably get a room off the pool on the first floor, loud but very convenient for during the day. We thought the Hotel was super safe and every time we lost something, it turned up at lost and found.

The food was good considering this was an all-inclusive. My kids loved the world café and we ate there every day for breakfast and sometimes for lunch. There was always something for my picky kids. My husband and I enjoyed Portofino (the Italian place) the best. The Mexican place was ok; I enjoyed it more than my husband. The sushi place was ok (but cannot compare to places in large metropolitan areas). Oceana, the adult only place was fine, but not as good as Portofino. The Seaside grill was terrific and we ate here a lot for lunch (try the fish ceviche). Overall, the service was excellent and the food was fresh. The staff was professional and they tried very hard to please you-- they take their job in the hospitality industry seriously and they go the extra mile to please. At the end of the day it is the staff that makes this resort a great place.

Kids Club

I read all the glowing reviews about the kids club and that is the primary reason we choose this hotel. My children go to camp in the summer and have been to other kids clubs, but they would not return to this club for a second visit after our 1st day. This made our stay a little less enjoyable (not because we don’t love our kids and don’t want to spend time with them, but we wanted some alone grown up time as well). In part this has to do with facilities of the kids club (I took a tour) and because the activities are geared toward the girls and younger kids (but they don’t take kids in diapers). The actual kid’s facility is at the end of the hotel and L shaped. The outdoor space is between the hotel building and painted concrete wall (about 15-20 feet wide and 80-100 feet long) . The 12 foot wall is painted with kids themes but the space is still dark and a little depressing. The inside rooms are composed of an inside space with a foose ball table and a game room with two computers, one Nintendo and very few games. There is a small kitchen and a bathroom. My boys are a little shy and hated it. I thought that the activities were geared to the younger set and also toward girls, as they made up the bulk of the club. They did not break down the kids according to age or gender and the result is that they catered to the younger ones. Here is a schedule for a day:
10 am Origami
11 am Collecting Seashells
12 pm Pool games (in the wading pool only)
1pm Lunch
2 Make key chains
3 Water polo (in the wading pool)
4 Rock Climbing (never saw were this took place)
6 PJ party or spa night
7 Dinner in PJs
8 Movie
10 pm check out
The club gives you a beeper and theoretically, the kids can tell them when they want to go. Our beeper did not work, and our kids got VERY upset that they were stuck there. I observed the kids club over the next few days and noticed that is was about 75% girls and 25% boys. My boys ended up playing on the large chess set most of the time, playing ping pong, playing at the beach or in the large hot tub (the pool was very cold). What they were missing here is either a sport court or a young person dedicated to the more active play of the boys. The kids club was the most disappointing part of this vacation. The ladies who worked there were lovely, patient and appeared to work really hard in pleasing the kids. However, I will note that my sons were not the only boys who refused to go into the club; most of the boys we ran into tried the club and didn’t want to go back. I would say this club is good for girls, ages 3-7.

Day Trips

We went to Tulum, don’t miss it. We took a cab to the site (27 each way) paid for a guide (20) at the site and had a great day. Save your money and go yourself, you can come and go as you please and don’t have to wait for the bus back. We wanted to go to Explore, but ran out of time. Coba is 1 ½ hours from here and another place I would have visited if my kids were a little older.

Preferred Club
We ran into a couple who had paid for this and complained bitterly about everything. I will spare you their complaints but I will tell you that paying for perferred at this resort was not worth the cost.

In short, we enjoyed our vacation and would go to another Dreams resort again. Mexico is beautiful and we were glad to have visited at this resort. The service was outstanding, the hotel clean and nice, but not luxurious. We all had a wonderful time, including my parents. As an aside, we all felt very safe in Mexico -- it hard to believe the country is going through such difficult times.

7  Thank mommy2cuties
Reviewed February 24, 2011

My Husband and I just returned from this Dream's. My first comment is that every staff person that we talked with, met in the hallway, anyone that we had contact with, all were very professional and wanted to make sure our visit was enjoyable. Our room was very well kept every day, refrige restocked, view from our balcony was great, food excellent. The place is very well maintained. We appreciated that no reservations needed to be made in advance for the restaurants, no need to wear wristbands, you could get Corona Light, or Bud Light in a can, name brand liquor. We were surprised that the entertainment was so good. We would not hesitate to return here or to any other Dream's property.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ltell
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Just returned from 5 days at Dreams. The service was exceptional. The rooms were slightly nicer than average, but small (even though we'd been upgraded to the "premier floor". Food was pretty good, but we're not picky. A lot of the kids seemed to love the kids club, but it's definitely geared toward young kids (3-10). The entertainment staff were great, very busy and fun without being pushy. I do agree w/ an earlier review that they must get more beach and pool chairs. Having to "save" chairs at 7:30 am is really a hassle. Overall, I would highly recommend it for families w/ small kids who might enjoy the kids' club. However, for couples, find an 'adults only' resort. This one was definitely full of kids and very little nightlife. The place seemed to be dead by about 9:30 pm.

2  Thank bkat05
Reviewed February 22, 2011

We stayed at this resort for one week with a group of 5 other couples. The only dissappointment occurred at check in. I had made several requests during the booking process and also followed up with a phone call to the Concierge asking that our group be roomed as close together as possible. Once we all received our keys, there was not one couple even remotely close to another. Although this was easily worked around and did not affect our vacation in any way, it did leave us feeling disappointed that they had not made an effort. Once we were all settled, I made a trip to the front desk to ask if they had recieved our requests and to see if they might be able to put forth some effort to achieve this. As a hotel Front Desk Manager, I appealed to them as a colleague. No luck. The only answer i got was that they were sold out. I know for certain that sold out, does not mean that a request cannot be met if it is addressed early enough. But, I digress. It was worth no more of my time and as I said, was not a factor in our enjoyment.
On to the good stuff. The service was exceptional. Not once did our thank you's go without the response of "it's a pleasure" and the ratio of guests to service staff was at a level that never left us looking around for assistance when we needed it.
The Food was nice overall. We were able to dine in all the restaurants with the exception of the Mexican one (can't remember the name right now). The sushi bar was really cool although we ordered specific items and were brought out some very different and random things. We enjoyed them none the less. The Oceana restaurant was fantastic on our first visit but slightly less enjoyable on the second. I ordered the same meal both times, but I think on the second go, we had a salt happy chef. Again, no biggie, I'm on holidays. My husband particularly enjoyed a room service hamburger almost every night and we pre ordered some room service breakfast on a couple of occassions when we knew we would be out early. Very nice food and prompt timing.
Our group spent a good deal of time at the adult pool and off on excursions. We did spend a bit of time around the beach although it was a bit windy. The men enjoyed the bull riding competition one day and they did quite a bit of snorkeling on another. (looking for a lost camera).
Overall, a nice resort if not a little subdued for our group. Great rooms, great service, good food and an ok beach. That's my take.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!