New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
new jersey
“Wonderful family vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

I will begin this by saying that I am usually not an all inclusive person! However, we were traveling with my sister and her family so in total we were 10 people, 6 of those were boys ages 8-17! I was a little scared because when we booked this trip in the winter there were many negative reviews, however in the weeks before we left I noticed that there were more positive reviews. So here is mine!

Check in: As noted in other reviews, check in is slow. However, they met us with drinks so that made the wait much better. Of course, as noted in other reviews, our room request was not met. We requested out two rooms next to each other. They only could give us rooms across from each other and claimed they were an upgrade, Who knows? I can't fully blame on Dreams because this request went through Booking.com.

Rooms: Both of rooms were really nice. The bathrooms were nice and big and we especially liked the showers! The bath products were very generous. I especially liked the suntan lotion in the bathroom. The balconies were really nice and we used them primarily to dry our clothes! Another plus, was the stocked fridge of beers, waters and sodas which they replenished daily which my sons liked! We had to call the main desk for towels on multiple occasions because the 1 they left was not cutting it! My sister's room had towel decorations every night and chocolate which we did not. I would have to say that housekeeping is not consistent. There is WiFi which is free but it is slow. I would recommend that if you need to work from here you leave it at home!

Resort and activities: The resort is small. I liked it because it was very manageable and we let the kids wander around and were never worried. You don't need to save beach chairs because there are plenty. Plenty of towels which you do not need to sign out so you can have as many as you want! Boys kayaked and snorkeled every day! You can sign out snorkel equipment. Also, you can take a catamaran with a captain for a ride every day. None of this is extra money. There are activities at the pool and beach area all day. I took the morning yoga class under the gazebo with a guest instructor from the states who was awesome. My boys took part of the beach volleyball game everyday which was a great way to make new friends. There are constant waiters who will bring you your drinks right to your beach chair so you never have to move. All the public bathrooms were clean. We saw 2 shows, the circus and fire and ice shows which were very good.

Food: This was probably the best part of the resort. It was delicious! This is what I feared most about an all inclusive. Every meal we ate was really good. I would have to say that Oceana was probably our favorite. We ate there once without our kids and we brought them once on the nights when you can bring kids. Food is first rate and my sister said it was better then food back home. We ate at Portofino twice. Keep in mind that men must wear pants and that includes boys over 12 years old. My husband forgot his pants and the concierge loaned us some as well as some for our two teens because I did not think they needed long pants as well. We enjoyed both our meals here as well. We also ate at El Patio and the Oceanside grill as well and enjoyed the buffet for breakfast and some lunches. The coffee cafe was awesome as well and I think it rivals Starbucks quality. All free! I would have to say that the food here was probably some of the best food ever eaten. I hope this never changes at this resort!

There are no wrist bands needed here, no reservations at restaurants, no need to worry about towels or beach chairs and friendly staff at this resort. I have now been converted to all inclusive resorts and would love to stay at another property of this chain soon!

Room Tip: Elevators are slow. We used steps a lot which was ok since we were on the 3rd floor. I would facto...
      Cleanliness
4 Thank kristinedenise
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay at Dreams Puerto Aventuras with all the Tripadvisor community.

We're more than glad to know you had an excellent vacation with us and were able to enjoyed every service we have to offer. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future.

econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Pros:
The wonderful beach and swimming in the ocean
Service in restaurants and from employees walking around resort
Yummy drinks - especially the mojitos
Food at dinner time was awesome (in general)
Explorer's Club was very open and easy to access (and free!)
Views of the ocean from the 5th floor and up on the ocean side were beautiful!
Nightly entertainment was worth attending
Close and easy walk to see dolphins/manatees/town
Our 5 and 2 year olds loved the sleeping accommodations on the fold out couch/futon

Cons:
Pool closed for a few hours almost every day of our week long vacation (due to the "mad-pooper!") :( No announcement/warning made to families until the 4th time/day that this happened to encourage families to use swim diapers!!
Pool was very small in comparison to other resorts we've been too - and also too warm
Smelly bathroom & toilet/old tub (despite daily housekeeping service?) in our family sized room
Staff at pool bar and housekeeping was not particularly friendly or helpful
Resort is definitely on the smaller side...prefer a bit bigger after a few days of relaxing & being there
Over an hour drive from airport
Most of us did come down with or home with stomach issues - we all avoided the water even when tooth brushing - first time for most of us even though we travel to Mexico resorts bi-annually
Buffets - especially lunch & dinner was not great - better to go to one of the restaurants and order off the menu
Internet access was extremely slow - but this wasn't a huge issue for us as we didn't particularly need it
If on beach side - very noisy at night due to beach entertainment and music at pool woke us up every morning!...no way to avoid all of this constant noise and no peace and quiet unless you are awake at 2:00 a.m. after most rowdy groups have gone to bed.
They play the same music every single day at the pool - and it's not even the typical, fun, Mexican music that makes you feel like you are having a fun vacation!...some of it was rather annoying/depressing

• 3 of 5 bubbles
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time and share your recent experience with us. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

We truly apologize for the unforeseen incidents that occurred during a three day period throughout your visit. This was very upsetting for us as well, as our main concern is the health and safety of our guests. We rely on our guests to as well contribute in ensuring proper personal measure are taken in order to avoid for such happenings. Our executive team felt it necessary to address the issue directly at the pool at avoid other similar events.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to host you once again and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any information.

Best regards,

Maripaz Martínez
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Just got back from Dreams puerto Aventura all inclusive with my family. This is a fantastic place for families with kids of all ages. The entertainment crew was spectacular. Special shout out and thanks to Edgar, Javi and Gavo!!!!! We love them. The waiters at the pool were awesome. Super friendly and kept the drinks coming all day. The daily evening shows were exceptional. Probably the best I've seen in my travels. There is something for everyone to do at this hotel. I will warn, this is not the spot for young hip couples. Although they have an adults only side, don't be fooled. The adults only pool is beautiful however there is nothing else to do. The resort is full of families. The hotel is well kept, the food was great. A variety of restaurants to choose from. Japanese, Italian (which requires men wear long pants), Mexican, seafood, The grill and the buffet. There is around the clock room service which my kids happened to love and take advantage of daily. The resort is on the smaller side, not huge with annoying shuttles. It's cozy and you can get around easily. The beach is perfect. The hotel offers kayaking and snorkeling for free. There is a small gym for those that would like a quick work out. It does the job. too. Room Service came bright and early to clean and for turn down service. The rooms were kept impeccably. The fridge in the room was replenished daily. Only negative thing I have to say is the wifi sucked. It happened to be perfect for our family bcuz it kept us away from the gadgets and truly enjoying our time together. So if u need to be connected at all times, this resort may not be for u. It was perfect for us.

Room Tip: For kids poolside is great. For adults, adults only poolside.
      Rooms
3 Thank Erika D

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

This was the first time that we took our 3 young children to an all-inclusive resort, and this resort was awesome! It was small, which allowed us to always see where our kids were. The staff were great, and the kids club staff were so very nice to all the kids. They didn't force them to participate, but happily involved them if they chose. They always ensured that the parents knew when they were bringing the kids to the club. Every day had either a movie on the beach, a concert or show either on the beach or in their theatre (which were very entertaining). Meals were good for the most part, but the Italian restaurant Portofino was the best. Their filet mignon was always prepared perfectly. Being a smaller resort, you were never too far from anything and it didn't feel crowded.

Room Tip: Book the ocean view. It was great to wake up and have a coffee on the balcony just watching the wat...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
      Location
2 Thank Tony D

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

A very nice resort. It is smaller in size. The staff was awesome. The food is by far the best we have had at any resort. Jack Daniels baby back ribs, filet mignon, crusted salmon. It was nice having dolphin discovery right at the resort. Although we did not swim with them it was enjoyable watching them. It is also nice being able to walk off of the resort and stroll down to the marina. There are quite a few restaurants and shops there.

The only negative thing about the resort was there was no quiet area to hang out in the evening. We usually like to find a quiet area to hang out with the family in the evening and have a few drinks. There was no place to do that here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Kevin H

Amarillo, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

My family of 5 just returned from our vacation, and we all had a wonderful time!! The staff is amazing throughout the entire resort. We vacationed with my sister and her family. In total we had 5 kids and 4 adults.
My husband and I decided to spend the extra money and reserve a room on the 7th floor. We both agree it was money well spent, and my sister and her husband wish they had done the same. In our room we had double the closet space and a larger room overall. At no time during our 6 day stay did we feel cramped. It was also very nice to have the snacks and bar area at the end of the hallway. Every morning they had breakfast available and coffee!! It made it very nice for me who woke up earlier than the rest of my group to go down the hall and have coffee, instead of down the elevator.
All of our kids loved the pool area. Our group consisted of a 9, 8, 6, 5 and 2 year olds. All of the older kids were able to touch the bottom of the pool everywhere. There were several shallow areas that all the kids enjoyed with my 2 year old as well. The pool never felt over crowded, and with it being a family resort no one seemed to mind the kids! The beach was very nice, we spent a good portion of day 1 and early day 2 there. All of the older kids were able to take a hobicat ride with a parent. They also had a large trampoline, and an inflated water slide. The beach was a little small, but more than adequate for the size of the resort.
I cannot say enough about the Explorers Club!! The staff was excellent, and the activities changed daily. I was even able to arrange care for my 2 year old so we could have a few adult only dinners. The resort also had an entertainment team that organized activities for guests each day. Every night there was some sort of entertainment, fire baton twirling & water drums (similar to blue man), caribbean night with a street fair type atmosphere, circus night, movie on the beach…
We were also able to arrange a couples massage at the spa and I was very impressed with the facilities and the staff! Highly recommend this!!

This is a wonderful vacation for a family with active kids. My children were never board, and always engaged.

Room Tip: If you need a little extra room I highly recommend 730.
      Location
2 Thank Betsey T

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Great family resort. We have a 9 year old boy and a 6 year old girl and we were very comfortable with letting the kids walk around inside the resort. We found it extremely safe and small enough for them not to get lost. The service, cleanliness and choice of alcoholic drinks was amazing. Great wine selection. Food was incredible and kids did not get sick drinking the water. The only downside to this hotel is that the beach area is small and rocky but dont let this be a reason not to visit because the location, service and friendliness of all the locals is worth the trip. Highly recommended to all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,322 reviews

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!