“Relaxing vacation”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
new york
“Relaxing vacation”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here last sept. my husband, 2 yr old at the time and I, for 6 days and it was great time. We felt like we had the hotel all to our selves the first few days, service was great people are willing to serve you hand and foot. A tip goes a long way and honestly they deserve it. They had a kids club my daughter was still young so we couldn't send her but this year she would be able to go its from 3 to 12 I believe. Cons .... The time share thing they have which they will assure you that it's not but it is. It's a waste if your day they promise you lunch and breakfast but your stuck there till they get you to buy it you don't feel like you have a way out. The catch I'd they tell take at least two credit card cause there is raffle but in reality they just want to make sure you take a method of Payment so you can't say you don't have money to put down.
Anyway the beach is nice the reastaurant are very nice except for the Japanese not worth it at all Mexican and Italian are very nice couldn't go to the sea food cause its on the adults only side and we had no where to leave our baby otherwise it would've been nice to check it out. They had movies on the beach every night. Live band on weekends pool aerobic in the morning. It's everything a vacation should be.

• Stayed September 2013
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Hajar12,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your family vacation with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

Please rest assured that all of your comments and suggestions have been shared with our team in order to be addressed and improved.

We would love the chance to welcome you back again soon to you are able to experience the changes that have been made since your last visit, such as family nights in the adults only restaurant and a completely upgraded sushi menu in our Gohan bar!

E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were here at the resort in February 2012 and I still miss it. We got to the resort after one week touring Mexico, and stayed here for 6 nights. When we got there, we were quickly checked in, and then got a short but informative tour of the resort. At check in we got our room upgraded without even requesting it, since we were on our honeymoon and we got a honeymoon suite complete with a jacuzzi on the terrace, and a bottle of champagne. The resort was wonderful with various restaurants to choose from and you can practically eat any time of the day ... all being all-inclusive. The pool bar is equipped with all types of drinks. The activity team prepares different activities for the guests to enjoy. The spa where we had a couple's massage was also lovely. I remember one night when there were the Oscars, an Oscars night was prepared and we saw it on big screen, complete with buffet and the whole place looked like you were in Hollywood. Everything was just perfect and I would it change anything about it ... well maybe I would have stayed a couple of days more :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We are honored you decided to celebrate such an important occasion at our resort. We are extremely pleased to hear that your stay was exceptional and that you had a chance to experience our awesome Oscars Party.

We hope you will think of our resort the next time you are planning a visit to this part of Mexico. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I would like to start off by listing the experiences we did enjoy staying at Dreams Puerto Aventuras: the beach was clean and we really enjoyed the schools of fishes that would encircle you once enticed with small pieces of bread. We enjoyed them so much that we ended up purchasing snorkelling gear at their gift shop-my son woke up every morning excited to see them again; we also enjoyed the free wi-fi available everywhere - even on the beach; room service was fairly prompt, fresh and warm - not the most delicious, but it got the job done; the Seaside Grill had great fish
tacos and the staff were friendly.

Okay, here the the reasons why we would not stay there in the future and recommend others to find a different all-inclusive resort: my husband became very ill after the fourth day with severe food poisoning that lasted a week after we came home; a friend who travelled with us received bed bug bites on her arm during her stay; the hotel did hot water maintenance during the day and did not consider completing this task in the middle of the night when patrons would not need hot water; the hotel constantly required drywall repairs because of flooding and a leaky roof - this would explain the mildew scent other postings were complaining about.

The resort is small with an even smaller pool so crowding amongst these popular areas can be an inconvenience. Once in the resort you are pretty much stuck in the compound, having to take a taxi just to get out to the nearest shops which is playa del carmen (so you might as well stay there).

Again, there were pros and cons with the hotel but the fact that I wouldn't recommend this resort pretty much sums up the fact that the experience was more negative.

• Stayed August 2013
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Skylark108,

First and foremost we appreciate you taking the time to share you feedback with us following your recent stay with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We are pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy snorkeling here at the resort as well as the complimentary WiFi.

We are extremely concerned to read the allegations made regarding your husband's illness as well as the discomforts of your friend. We would truly appreciate the chance to discuss these claims with you further as we have no record of any reports being made regarding bed bugs and we pride ourselves on the health and safety measures we carry out regarding the handling and preparation of our food. We here at Dreams ensure The CRISTAL Food Safety System which assists hotels in producing safe and hygienic food for consumption by guests. Today this process is recommended by the World Health Organization and Governments worldwide to ensure safe food hygiene. It operates by identifying each operational stage in the food process that needs to be monitored and controlled, in order to reduce the risk of food contamination which could result in eventual food poisoning. The system makes certain that all possible care has been taken to ensure that the food served in hotel restaurants is of the highest quality as regards food hygiene.

It is unfortunate that you felt the marina and shopping area in which we are located was inadequate as our location is something many guests comment positively about however we do understand that this is down to each person's personal preference.

Once again, we apologize for not having exceeded your expectations during your stay here with us and we hope that you will choose to return here with us one day so we are able to demonstrate the high levels of service and quality that we are known for.

E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
econcierge,drepa@dreamsresorts.com
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first "all-inclusive" package purchase and because of the HORRENDOUS experience at this hotel, it will be our LAST all-inclusive. We requested a king bed when we booked our room and when we checked in, they gave us a double bed room, right next to the elevators and the room smelled like mildew masked with bleach or ammonia. We complained and ended up paying extra $$$ per night for the "Premium Package" on the 7th floor hoping to get a better experience for our 7 day stay...

Right after check-in, we were immediately coerced by the "VIP Services" to endure a 40-minute presentation about their voucher package and pressured into getting bussed to their sister resort for a timeshare presentation and tour packages. We respectfully declined...but continued to get harassed by staff throughout our stay. The constant upselling from the hotel staff and affiliated tour companies would not stop!

Overall, the food was DISGUSTING - everything tasted like it was soaked and cooked in luke warm oil. The proclaimed sushi restaurant Gohan doesn't even serve sushi!! They had only a few rolls and that was it! The only decent dining experience we had was at Oceana seafood restaurant one night and one night at El Patio Mexican restaurant. Other than that, we ended up ordering room service our entire stay...and even that was subpar.

Lastly, the insulation in the room was so bad (despite being in the Penthouse floor) - we heard loud entertainment in the pool area & courtyard all night, employees working, cleaning, vacuuming in the early morning hours that kept us up all night. The air conditioner thermostat was broken and your only option was to turn it off or full blast A/C that was freezing!!!

The resort was set up like a compound, so you would have to pay for either a tour or expensive taxi fare to get out of the hotel. There was no way of getting around it...either you're stuck at the resort or you have to pay a lot of money to venture out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tropicalbrasil
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear hajar12,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your family vacation here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. All of our guests comments are very important to us as they show us the areas where we may need to improve. You will be pleased to know that we have made some significant changes since your stay here with us, such as family nights in our seafood restaurant, which we are confident will ensure that on any future visit we will exceed your expectations in every aspect.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon!

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were so unhappy with our experience at this hotel, we requested to be moved after 48 hours. Upon arrival, there was only 1 front desk person to check in vans full of arriving guests. Most of us had been traveling all day, only to wait in line in a less than impressive, un air conditioned, humid lobby and wait 20 mins to be even acknowledged. Service was sub-par.

Hotel overall was out dated and in need of repairs and had a low-budget appearance to it. Our room was garden level by main pool, which seemed like an over crowded, community YMCA pool--noise level was incredibly loud from kids running down hallways at 7am to main pool noise which went on into the night. We paid over $200 more to be "upgraded" to a smaller room on the 4th floor. I understand its Mexico, and its muggy and insanely humid--but crawling into bed at night into a damp bed at night and putting on clothes that felt cold and damp from all the moisture in the room was just gross. AC never seemed to work well. In addition, rooms felt like a standard hotel room to me--and not the cleanest--Requested and extra pillow one night--was told they were out of pillows and we could put on name on a wait list. Nice! Elevators were soo slow and always a line to get on them...Entertainment was poor--they just put no effort into it it seemed.

Beach area was a the smallest Ive ever seen. What little beach was there was mobbed with families and kids. Took Kayaks out, all the life vests were so badly dry rotted, torn and shredded there is no way they should have been letting guest wear them. We had to WAIT for towels every single day--never enough of them...same with buffet--breakfast was cleaned out by 9:30am. Its like they never had enough of ANYTHING.

Bartenders were cool and friendly- but most of them usually are...two unique things Dreams did have that were worth pointing out were the swing bar located by the salt water pool and the abundance of fish that swam around your feet when you went into the sea--pretty cool.

We moved to a sister resort--NOW Jade and LOVED it!! Maybe we just had a series of unfortunate circumstances that lead to our dissatisfaction with Dreams---while I may try another Dreams one day ( since we are fans of Seacrets and NOW) it will not be this hotel--or I mean, resort.

Room Tip: 4th floor & up if you plan on sleeping at all on your vaca
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmandaPaige
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear AmandaPaige,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us here on Tripadvisor. We are sorry to hear that our facilities did not meet with your full approval.

We apologize that you're expectations were not fulfilled during the short time you were here with us. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest´s experiences play a key role in this continuous process. Your observations have been addressed to the involved departments in order to improve our service in all possible ways.

We regret that you chose to cut short your time here with us without giving us the chance to demonstrate the high levels of service and quality that we are known for. We are confident that if you had chosen to remain with us longer you would have been able to experience every aspect of the Unlimited Luxury we have to offer.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and change the poor perception you seem to have of us.

Ithaca NY
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was the worst hotel experience have had ever. It is beautiful and people are nice but extremely dishonest. This place is anything but all-inclusive I walked away having lost an exorbitant amount of money I could never have expected.

TV was broken for 6 days and each day I asked and each day I was told by someone that it would be fixed that day or the next and it was not fixed until the last day.

Water problems everywhere, leaks and mildew.

No soundproofing and it was loud ALL night and morning.

My cell phone charger was stolen from my room and not only would they not replace it they told me the closest place I could go to get another was to drive into Playa Del Carmen and that they might not have the charger for an android phone there either. Eventually someone loaned me a broken USB cable.

I tried to help a girl who was sick, vomiting and passing out, and was told by the concierge that the doctor bill would be $125. I agreed to pay this because the girl had no money to cover the bill. I was handed a bill for $405!!! The hotel refused to do anything to help because they insisted that it had NOTHING to do with them even though they were the ones who gave me the inaccurate information. I spent the next 5 days trying to work this out. I was told by some of the concierge staff that they were going to take care of it but eventually the manager said they would not be able to do anything about it.

A VERY small bag of laundry cost $75!!!!!! I have never in my life paid that kind of money to wash my clothes! No dry cleaning or ironing just washing! They said that it was listed on the sheet you fill out for the laundry but what they did not mention was that this laundry sheet happens to be the only thing in the hotel practically that is not listed in price as pesos so it says on the sheet in very small letters USD.

I spent the majority of the end of my trip sitting and waiting to talk to the concierge and whatever time I spent on the beach was spent worrying about how much money I was losing beyond what I had planned for. So incredibly disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TaraShantiKane
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear TaraShantiKane,

On behalf of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort Management and Staff we want to thank you for taking the time to share your overview on your stay with us as well as the email you sent during your stay. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

We are sorry that we were not able to locate your misplaced phone charger during your stay. Unfortunately we do not stock chargers for all phone types here at the resort, however we do have on record that our chief concierge lent you his personal charger for the remainder of your stay as you informed us that you were unable to visit the places recommended in order to purchase an additional charger.

Whilst we understand that you offered to foot the medical bill for the other member within your group as a good will measure we do have to contend your allegation that our staff lied to you regarding the cost. You were quoted the cost for the doctor's appointment which was accurate, however the guest in question did require further treatment and medication that did incur additional unforeseen charges. As the medical services are provided by an external supplier we are not in control of the costs involved, however when your discomforts regarding the total charge were brought to our attention we did our best to resolve the matter for you which included a partial refund as well as compensation which was turned down by yourself.

We apologize for any confusion regarding the laundry price list, it is clearly indicated at the top of the price list that the prices are listed in US Dollars, nevertheless please rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the pertinent department in order to be addressed and avoid any future confusions and inconveniences of this kind. All additional services offered are detailed in US Dollars as well as pesos however once again, we are sorry if this was not indicated clearly to you.

Once again we apologize that your expectations were not fulfilled during your stay here with us. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest´s experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

Montreal
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at this resort from august 9th until august 23rd. It’s a really nice hotel for families. We are a family of 5, our kids are 13, 10 and 7. They really enjoyed DPA a lot.

The rooms:
We had 2 rooms on the 6th floor (marina side). The view was really nice, and we could see the dolphins sleeping or jumping from there. The room service was really good. Miguel did a really nice job. Every day we could find towel art on the bed. He came twice every day and sometimes they came to change the towels around 7h00pm.

The beach:
small, not for taking walks, but perfect for snorkling of for the kids to play in. They all really enjoyed the climbing igloo.

The pool:
not the best pool I’ve seen in a resort, but the kids were always playing in it. What’s great with this, is that we (parents) can be on the beach and the kids (when they are old enough) can be in the pool by themselves, since the pool is so close to the beach. They played the crazy games organized by the entertainment team (Jesus, Ivan, Mitsy and Laurianne (Lao)).

The buffet:
good, but not exceptionnal. We did not like the mexican buffet. My kids are really picky eaters and they could not find anything they liked. They did not have quesadillas or enchiladas and other stuff that kids usually like.
We would have liked the pasta station to always be there. Always a good option when they’re nothing else that you like.

The Restaurants:
They were good, but the only down point is that they don’t have kids menu. Again my kids are really not the kind to eat a filet mignon so the seaside grill (at night was not an option).
We loved the Portofino, we went 4 times and it was great. Don’t forget the pants and collar shirt for mens and older kids (boys) because they really enforce the dress code.

The mexican restaurant was ok, but not great. The kids can order quesadillas, pasta or even chicken nuggets if they can’t find anything else they like on the menu.

The sushi (Gordan): was excellent, but you have to like sushi.

The oceana: good. Once a week you have a night where children are welcome.

The dolphins:
We had the adventure swim with the dolphins at the hotel. We were suppose to be there for 60 minutes, but we had 1h30 instead.
We could touch them really often which is really different from the first time I went (in Xel -ha) where we could not touch them (almost). The pictures are really expensive (they started at 325$ for the package). We did not pay that amount, but it was still really expensive and they would not budge.

We had a wonderful time and I would recommend families with children 13 and under to go without any hesitation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mjo72
Dear mjo72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. It was certainly our pleasure to have had you as our guests. It is always pleasing to know when our guests have enjoyed their time here with us. All of the comments are shared with the staff and supervisors, Miguel will be particularly pleased to know that his service was recognized. As professionals in the service industry we understand that guest feedback helps us improve the quality and standards in our resort.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to write your review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!