“Nice resort, great service”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We have stayed at 3 dreams locations and one secrets location. This dreams location seemed to be a little bit older but still very nice. We were in the preferred club, 5th floor family room. We had a great view and our room was huge. There was a musty smell when we first arrived but I think it was due to the fact that it hadn't been used. It was better by the next day. The service here, and at all dreams locations we have been to, is outstanding. Everyone always has a smile. They are always going out of their way for you. The food was great as well. We are pretty picky eaters and have never had a bad meal here. We did have our favorite restaurants. I did read a review that some restaurants didn't have a kids menu. This is true but they were always willing to go out of their way to make something for our picky 7 year old OR we could order room service when we got back. I would say the only restaurant we really didn't like was the world cafe buffet. It was just okay. Out of all the dreams we have stayed at, this beach was the best. My kids swam in it the entire trip. It wasn't rocky. There was plenty of space for them to swim. They also liked the huge hot tub. You didn't feel crammed in with other people you didn't know. It almost looks like a pool it is so big. The entertainment staff was great. The shows were good and it was nice that we didn't have to leave the property at night. We were all pretty tired from swimming all day so we could stay and watch what we could and then go to our room. We went to the spa and it was very nice. I had a massage and a facial and my children both had massages. The service was excellent. We did swim with the dolphins and my children loved it. It was very professional and they let younger children do it as well. When we did this in the keys, my youngest child could not do it and was very disappointed. Here, he could and it made his vacation and it was a better show than in the keys, more involvement with the dolphins. Overall, we loved this resort. I will say the 2 disappointing things that we noticed at this resort were, first, the amount of drunk adults the entire trip. We have never encountered that at the other resorts. I am not sure if it was just timing or what but my children definitely have some stories to tell about what they witnessed while we were eating dinner. I am not sure why adults without kids would choose to go to a family hotel when you can go to an adults only hotel just a few miles away. The hotel can't really do anything about that. The 2nd thing that was disappointing was the amount of noise all night long. We were on the 5th floor and almost every night you could hear loud people throughout the night. It woke all of us up almost every night we were there. My husband is deaf in one ear and it woke him up several nights. Overall, we enjoyed this dreams resort. It is smaller than the others we have been to and older but still did not disappoint. The gated community of Puerto Aventuras was a nice plus as well. I felt very safe, unlike some of the other dreams locations.

Room Tip: I am not sure, maybe the adult pool side which wasn't beachfront but seemed quieter over there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tripp1113
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Dreams Puerto Aventuras for your recent family vacation and for your renewed preference of our hotel chain.

It is extremely pleasing to learn that you were able to experience the high levels of service and quality that we are known for. Our head chef will be glad to hear that you enjoyed the culinary options available within our restaurants. We are thrilled that your whole family were able to enjoy the beach as well as our newest addition, the dolphin dreams dolphinarium.

We apologize for any bad impressions caused by fellow guests during your time here with us. We truly hope that these incidents did not dampen your overall experience here with us.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back for a future family vacation.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Several people in my group have gotten very sick with diarrhea and throwing up, one being my husband.
Service is a bit slow, and food ranges from excellent in Portofino to terrible in the Seaside Grill.
Every day, we smell sewer from some unknown place.
Our room is very nice...the back of the toilet has a huge crack in it though and I worry it will flood our sixth floor room!
We hear jungle sounds from the birds outside our room which can be nice....what's not so nice are the attack birds! Not kidding! One woman in our group has been hit by birds' beaks at least twice and another saw another guest get attacked. One flew over me and skimmed my hair. Crazy!!
The beach shoreline is very rocky and not very long. We couldn't take long walks like we usually do.
No air except in our room and Portofino restaurant. Pools are nice. Dolphins are nice to watch. But We probably would never come back here
I got a massage on the beach and that was awesome. $139. Coupons given have restrictions so don't expect $100 off one service.
Also they let vendors on their property and they are a bit pushy at selling their wares.
There's a nice small hotel store for necessities or souvenirs..no others needed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wendy17331

Dear Guest,

We were extremely concerned to learn of the bad impressions you had regarding our resort after only a short time here with us. We can confirm that our chief concierge was in contact with you immediately, as well as the other members in your party, in order to remedy any inconveniences or discomforts that you were experiencing.

We are pleased to learn that the other members of your group enjoyed their stay here with us and we sincerely hope that we were able to change the poor perception that you seemed to have of us during the remainder of your stay.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was my first time to Mexico and this resort was amazing unlimited smoothies extremely kind employees a trip to always remeber also the schedule activities was a plus. The food was very good and also the live shows held here, an overall amazing stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank AustinS_3323

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us and that you were able to truly experience the Unlimited Luxury that we offer to our guests.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Me and my family were at Dreams from May 29th to June 5th, 2013. I would like to state that I am very easy to please and don't ruffle feathers as we are in Mexico, not at the Trump Tower. Here are the details:

Rooms: We were in 2 rooms, 740 and then 730, by choice. We were on the 7th floor, Preferred Club, and did get the room we paid for. Although if you have 4 people, a regular preferred suite will not do it. We paid for the upgrade to the family suite and it worked perfectly. Rooms were very clean, twice daily, and the air conditioner worked perfectly. The humidity is terrible and causes the a/c to work a lot, but it was nice and cool the entire time. No complaints on the rooms at all.

Preferred Club: Do not pay for this option. Although the view is exceptional, their is no add to your vacation, only a waste of money. There is a bar, concierge, and some foods up on the 7th floor that are supposed to be special for the 7th floor because of the additional cost. THIS IS A JOKE. There is no way to keep anyone else off the floor and we saw people daily from other floors using the service. DO NOT PAY FOR THIS, JUST USE IT IF YOU WANT, APPARENTLY. Waste of $300 for me and my family.

Food: Mediocre at best. We travel Mexico quite a bit and this food was not the greatest. First, it is advertised as a "Family Resort" and the first restaurant we went to, Sushi, had no kids menu. I had to go down to the buffet, get a plastic plate, plastic fork, and plastic knife and bring it back to the Sushi Restaurant. The lunch at the restaurant by the family pool has some nice options, but I only found 1-2 that I could eat. There are 5 restaurants on the property and the same 2 were closed 2 nights in a row. Messed up our plans of trying them all.

Foods in the restaurants are very average for an all inclusive. The wait staff always look confused and couldn't remember which table was at which stage of the meal. Also, the Preferred status is supposed to get you preferred seating at the restaurants and it does not. Meals would come out luke warm or cold and flavors were way off compared to what we are used to. The only "breakfast" was the World Café buffet and it gets old after a couple of days. Foods again are ok, but not any better than we cook at home.

Activities staff: Carlos, Isreal, Ivan, and Jesus are the best activities staff I have ever seen in Mexico. In my opinion, these 4 guys are the only asset that Dreams Puerto Aventuras has. Without them, the rating would have been 1.5 to 2. Very energetic, very good with kids, very active with everyone and always visible. We had 3 straight days of rain and these guys were all over it. I can't say anything more about them than Dreams is very lucky to have them and need to compensate them as such. Very large asset to you if you read this. Thanks guys.

The UGLY: I feel as the management of Dreams PA should be ashamed of themselves. We arrived on Wednesday to the "Family Resort". On Friday, we left the resort for my kids to swim with the dolphins and sea lions to return to 100+(it seemed, 50+ at least) 12 year old girls with maybe 7 adult females. FAMILY RESORT, I think not. The girls were dumping drinks in the pool, very rude to the existing guests, on the PREFERRED level, loud in the restaurants, broke glass in the main lobby, the theatre, etc. They would cut in the buffet lines, bump people, over take the pools from the young kids there on the "family" vacation, etc. I think you get the point. This didn't just overturn our vacation, but every family on the resort was unhappy. I hope they are proud of the money they made as the taste for this resort is felt in this review. Again, you should be ashamed of yourself. I made the complaint to the concierge and they said they would speak to the adults. A lot of good that did as more glass was broke, popcorn all over the hotel, and then they rushed the stage after the magician was done. I will tell you it took 3 large tour buses to get them all out of the hotel. Very poor management.

On top of this, I made a very bad review on my exit per their request, and returned to an email about 4 days later asking for another review. My response to them was to read the one I did at the actual hotel. Again, you should be ashamed. To sum it up:

Good: Carlos, Isreal, Ivan, Jesus, rooms
Bad: Food
Ugly: Management Staff

The only way I would return is if they paid for it to make it up. That isn't going to happen as they didn't even see my review when I left. I should have stayed with Karisma Hotels like I am used to. Next family vacation will be to the Azul Beach in the Karisma family.

Watch for the form letter response from the hotel. Please let me know if you have questions.

Room Tip: If you have a family of four, get the family suite, it will pay off. Also, don't pay for the pr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank TimandMarcia
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

We continuously strive to create the best possible experience for our guests so it was disappointing to learn that we let you down and we apologize that you're expectations were not fulfilled during the time you were here with us. We would like to point out that every single review we receive is shared with our entire team so that all the comments can be addressed and improved. We apologize if you were under the impression that each review was answered with a standard unpersonalized response.

We are sorry that you felt your vacation was ruined by fellow guests during your stay. Whilst your comments were noted here at the resort and the other guests were indeed spoken to, we do ask you to keep in mind that we pride ourselves on providing high levels of customer service for all our guests.

You may understand that when it comes to food, taste and perception are involved and it is always difficult to get a 100% of satisfaction, but this does not stop us from continuously looking for ways to improve. We can guarantee you that we will continue challenging ourselves so our guests enjoy our food and all of our guests' feedback is precious for this continuous process.

Once again we apologize for not having exceeded your expectations during your time here with us and we sincerely hope to one day have the chance to change the poor perception you seem to have of us.

Regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just back from a week. Our group included 3 families for a total of 12 people. The kids are all teens.

There was a tropical depression for the first 4 days. It poured rain! The staff did all they could to help us make the best of it. The weather was beautiful for the end of our stay.

One family was in a family room which they found cramped for four. They had to pay to move to the seventh floor due to noise at the disco. The other 2 families had four rooms in a row on the dolphin side. The floors in the room and balcony are very slick. There was condensation on the walls and floors the entire time. Probably due to the weather. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom needed some maintenance. The cleaning staff tended to gather just outside our room starting at 7 am. We get up early, so not a big issue for us.

The size of the hotel is great. Everything is close by. The beach is good. Our group played a lot of volleyball. There were red flags for the ocean. The dive shop would not allow snorkeling even in the shallow water in front of the hotel.

The liquor is not top shelf. I only saw a few brands that I recognized. They did have Negro Modelo on tap. Bar service is great. The quality of the blended drinks was poor - very sugary - no fruit in daiquiris. The Desires Bar was packed with kids every night. It seems they need an area for teens to hang out, play pool and snack.

The food was very good. We ate at all of the restaurants. The flavor and presentation was good. Our food arrived at room temperature at both Oceana and Portofino. We loved the sushi and mexican restaurants. Lunch was very good at the Seaside Grill. We only had the buffet at breakfast, but it was very good and fresh. They prepare the food in small batches.

The adults went to Telum Dreams for a sales presentation for something to do on a rain day. It's not a timeshare. They are selling a vacation club membership for $20K which gives you discounted hotel rates at their properties. There are also annual fees. Our group did not see the value. At least they were not jerks when we said "no."

We booked a trip to Xel-Ha on a non rain day with our Apple rep. The cost was $119 each including transportation. We found out the cost at Xel-Ha was $79pp. The cost to transport our group of 12 was $150 round trip. We paid $300 too much through Apple. The dive shop at the hotel was great. 8 of us did the resort dive training which included an ocean dive for $119 pp.

Swimming with dolphins is better and cheaper at the marina location which is a short walk from the hotel.

We did not use any of the hotel coupons. We didn't see the value.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your review will be shared with our entire operational team as we fully understand the importance of guest comments and your feedback helps us improve the quality and standards in our resort.

We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in all areas of our resort. Please rest assured that your feedback will be addressed and where necessary improved and we truly appreciate your suggestions such as a designated area just for teens.

We are genuinely pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay here with us and we hope to have the chance to host you all again in the future. We are confident that we will be able to exceed your expectations on any future stay.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I (early 30s) and my parents transferred to Dreams Puerto Aventuras due to the weather and closing of facilities at our originally booked resort. (We also stayed here in 2012 and loved the small size & great service at the resort.) Making the move truly saved our vacation! The service at Dreams is amazing! Shout out to: Roman at the Barracuda Bar, Gilberto & Jorge at El Patio, Aaron from the Bell Staff, Edgar at the Front Desk, Dino at Oceana & Juan from World Cafe. You are all outstanding! The resort is small but very adequate. We loved spending our afternoons by the natural pool - we were often in that area alone & the Barracuda Bar with the swings was like a private retreat in the late afternoon. The rooms are well laid out and very clean. The food is good and it's nice not to have to make reservations. Yes, the beach is small, but the snorkeling right off the beach is decent if the waves are calm - we saw hundreds of colorful fish & a barracuda. The natural pool is a great place for a first time snorkeler - we let my mom try (she's not a swimmer) and she loved it! It's also nice to be able to walk around the marina at Puerto Aventuras & feel safe. This is a great resort for a quick get a way since its small and easy to get familiarize yourself with. There are many families there with children, but that didn't bother us at all. It is about an hour from the airport, but not a big deal. We absolutely love this resort & will definitely return. This is now our "go to" spot in the Riviera Maya!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank jenn11978

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate you taking the time, once again, to share your feedback with us following your stay at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

The staff members that you took the time to mention will be delighted that they made such an impact on your stay and on behalf of our entire team we are extremely pleased that to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations once again.

We are thrilled that you are planning on returning and we look forward to being able to welcome you back on many future occasions.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in May. This was our 8th visit to Mexico but first to this hotel. We chose it because we wanted to stay in this area and Dreams along with Secrets have a good reputation. Our last three visits had been to adult only hotels and I was a bit dubious about DPA after reading some of the negative reviews about children running wild and thefts from safes. However we did not encounter any of this on our trip and to be honest the drunken adults at the pool bars made much more noise than any of the children! The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are spacious, kept spotlessly clean and the beds are divine. We had room 534 with ocean view and it was amazing. To be able to wake up to that view every morning was heaven. The staff here are incredible, so friendly and keen to please. I want to say a special thanks to Isrel in the Oceana restaurant who looked after us so well and makes the most delicious Mayan coffee you must try it! Other staff I would like to thank are Hostess Sylva and Marela who seem to work tirelessly at all the restaurants, Jorge the fab waiter in The Italian, Jimmy in the Mexican and Gabriel at breakfast in the World café. All the restaurants were fab except for the Seaside Grill. The service and quality of food we had on the 2 visits we made to this restaurant was terrible. On one visit our waiter was sent away to another restaurant and we sat for 30 minutes being ignored until we called over the head waiter to complain and to be quite hones he did not seem that bothered. The meat there was tough and grisly so we never went back again. We spent a lot of time at the adult only pool and bar because the dolphins were just behind and we could go watch people swimming with them and the free shows they put on every day. Cesar the barman there is fab and looks after everyone very well. The beach is quite small as it is in a small bay but very clean and lots of lovely fish. A bit further along the beach is a rocky area which is lovely with a nice cooling breeze. Here you will also find the Barracuda swing bar which is a lovely place for a drink right next to the ocean. That was my favourite spot ! Other good points about this hotel is no wrist bands, no reservations required for dinner, no towel cards and good quality towels. I would definitely recommend this hotel but probably not go back ourselves as we like to try other resorts. Thank you to all the staff who helped us have a memorable stay x x

Room Tip: If you want a good sea view ask for a room from floor 4 and above
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mags 216

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Dreams Puerto Aventuras for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.

We truly appreciate all the kind comments shared and for mentioning those members of staff that went over and above the call of duty to ensure that your holiday was enjoyable. We apologize for the any inconveniences or bad impressions caused during your dining experiences within our Seaside grill. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the restaurant manager as well as our Food & Beverage executive in order to be addressed. This is certainly not in keeping with how we treat our guests and we are grateful that you brought this to our attention.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we do hope that you will consider our resort for a future holiday in this area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!