April 2013. We were ROBBED! Our second day at the hotel we were out at the beach for a couple hours and returned to our room to get money for our kids to paint some pottery on the beach. Our safe which had been working fine suddenly would not open with the code we had set up for it. My husband called the hotel staff who came and easily and quickly opened the safe on thier own. What we discovered inside was an empty wallet with over $650 USD stolen. The hotel said the maid filed a report saying the safe door and our sliding patio door was wide open when she entered the room so she closed it all up. Needless to say we know for a fact the safe and the door were not open when we left the room. Thankfully they did not take our passports and credit cards. We talked to other visitors throughout the week and one other visitor walked in thier room to find a startled maid and two security guards standing by their open safe who claimed that it was open when the maid came in so they were following a procedure to lock it up. None of them spoke english well so that is what the Americans gathered from the conversation. Luckily they got there just in time from the sounds of it. Needless to say in addition to not having cash to spend with the vendors that sell goods onsite or to tip bartenders, maids and waitstaff, we did not feel very safe or secure the remainder of the week. Our kids were a bit uneasy sleeping at night thinking the theif would come back even though we tried to convince them they just wanted our money and it was over. The hotel staff had us fill out a bunch of reports and tried to act concerned and treated us nicely but in the end said they could find no fault or responsibility on behalf of their staff or hotel. They insisted that it was procedure to do a thorough search of our room after any reported incident. They searched through every peice of luggage and all of our personal items which was very uncomfortable. I kept thinking what if this is like a movie and they plant drugs or something in the room and try to frame us for some crazy reason... Thankfully, that did not happen but it was such a disappointing, scary and time stealing experience.
On the bright side, the beach was beautiful and relaxing - a bit rocky with coral but not too bad - take wet shoes. There was decent snorkeling right on the sides of the beach in the rocky areas. The staff was very friendly and kind. The rooms were clean and roomy. The beach bars and waitstaff were great about mixing up tasty drinks. The entertainment staff had a couple of fun activities such as a pinatta and different daily games they played with the kids. Our kids loved the inflatable rock climbing wall and trampoline in the ocean. There was a giant chess game, beach volleyball, pool volleyball, table tennis, free mini catamaran rides, and a bungee trampoline as well. I have to admit most of the food was truly terrible but I never have high expectations at an all inclusive anyways.
We did two excursions. We went on a four hour deep sea fishing trip we signed up for at the marina and a swim with the dolphins excursion at the marina. Both were a lot of fun. We caught a sailfish and two baracudas and also stopped at a pretty reef to snorkel. The dolphin swim was very well executed and was a wonderful experience. My only complaint was the outrageous prices they charge to buy the photos they took with the dolphins (you are not allowed to take any if swimming with dolphins). It was a very fun experience.
We tried very hard to enjoy this beautiful place after the robbery but both my husband, myself and our kids mentioned that the experience was in the back of our minds the whole trip and made it a bit difficult to truly relax. We are normally so laid back, happy and easy to please. We did the best we could and did manage to have some fun and make some nice family memories together. It was a learning experience. I know this type of thing can happen anywhere but when it happens to you it is hard to feel positively about the place it happended at. Needless to say we will not be back to this resort. We are heading back to Jamaica next year which to date was the most amazing family vacation we have ever had!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa is a getaway with near infinite pleasures. Guests of all ages experience Unlimited-Luxury(R), remarkable amenities led by spacious rooms and suites with lovely views, gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits and 24-hour concierge service - all wristband-free. Guests are entertained by miniature golf, complimentary greens fees at a nearby golf course, a PADI certified diving center and Dolphin Dreams by Dolphin Discovery, one of the largest dolphinariums in the Riviera Maya resort region. To unwind, Dream Spa by Pevonia(R) offers a generous pampering menu. For couples, the resort presents wedding, honeymoon and anniversary packages, and for business, facilities begin with the 1,646 square foot Playa Ballroom. It's all of this and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Expedia, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Dreams Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Dreams Resort Puerto Aventuras
- Sunscape Puerto Aventuras Riviera
- Sunscape Puerto Adventuras
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico