“We keep returning...”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Westborough, Massachusetts
“We keep returning...”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We honeymooned at Dreams Puerto Aventuras in 2010 and have been returning each year since. The accommodations are very nice, the staff is so friendly and helpful, and the food is good. We love the addition of the dolphin and manatee pools on the marina side, where we always request our room as it's quiet and the sunsets are delightful. For us, the biggest plus for this resort is the little town within walking distance. We enjoy the waterfront, the marina, the little shops and restaurants. And access to so many great local attractions is easy - Xplore, Xel-Ha, Tulum, Coba, etc.Kudos to Marlena at the registration desk and Eduardo at VIP services for taking such good care of us on our trip this month.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JennyT1231
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you choose to return here with us year after year and thank you for sharing your experience. We highly value your loyalty as a returning guest and it’s always nice to know we have met your expectations with our outstanding service and that you were able to experience and enjoy so many of the different facilities and amenities we offer as part of our Unlimited Luxury.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back on many future occasions and we will be happy to make every stay just as special for you.

Kindest Regards,

econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was hesitant to write this review, but felt compelled by my experience on March break with the family.
When we checked in, our requested adjoined rooms were unavailable but we were given an upgrade. Unfortunately one room had a bad water leak that left the room smelling very musty (drywall was black on one side as it was removed in the ceiling). Being allergic to mold and with the water coming in to the room through the ac vent (my one son almost wiped out), I requested a change. I was told “it would be taken care of” but despite efforts, any fix attempts were unsuccessful and it leaked for days.
The second day there we were given a day-long hard sell with one concierge hitting us up 5 times to go to a presentation at Dreams Tulum. This was really too aggressive and impeded our ability to relax. Against our better judgement, we eventually agreed just to stop the hard sell on the understanding it would only take 90mins of our time. It was over 3 hours, wasting the next half day.
Finally on day 3 we tried the concierge for help with the room (Sudafed was tiding over my mold allergies). Four hours later they called to say no rooms were available. Interestingly enough, I had managed to get one myself with the front desk’s help (thanks Marlene) after waiting to hear back from the concierge after 2 hours.
The day of the move, despite the new room being checked out of, housekeeping wouldn’t let us in for 4 hours so we again had to wait on the site and lose a day for possible excursions.
Then just when we were finally able to relax, my son and my wife contracted strep throat on the resort (we didn’t eat or drink a thing off it and were careful with hand sanitizers our day at Tulum). Three of us then got Montezumas revenge, again caught on the resort. This took care of the last 3 days
I can’t say the trip was terrible. If everything goes right, this resort would be recommended. The food is very good for a resort, there are many kind and hard-working staff, the entertainment was great fun, my daughter raved about the explorers club, the dolphins are a great touch for the kids and the beach staff was great as were many of the food service staff. I’ll take home some nice memories of some of the staff I met there.
But I can’t say this was average either. Given the hard sell by the concierge staff and the poor handling of the issues we were presented with by the resort, I regretted staying here and it was not relaxing. It seems disorganized when something is not exactly to script. The issues from the hotel ensured that we never got to really explore Mexican excursions, the reason we visited. Over all I was very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time taken to share your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations during your time here with us and for any inconveniences and bad impressions that may have resulted from your time here with us.

Regarding your comments about contracting strep throat and stomach problems during your time here with us, we would like to confirm that we have no record of any other guests reporting any such medical issues during the dates that you were here with us. As you may appreciate strep throat is a highly contagious infection so we are concerned that you are under the impression that it was contracted during your stay.

We would like to clarify that our VIP service staff, and not our guest service team, do offer a membership program on behalf of our VIP services department, to all of our guests, which entails inviting them to our show room located in our Dreams Tulum property, located 25mins south of our location. This is standard practice, however should guests not be interested in the invitation nor purchases of any packages no further pressure is allowed to be applied. We truly apologize if this was not the case.

Once again, we are truly sorry for not having exceeded your expectations and we would appreciate the chance to discuss youe experience with your further.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the future to demonstrate the high levels of quality and service that we are known for.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was our second stay at dreams Puerto Aventuras having stayed here in 2011. Nothing changed much at this resort, still wonderful.

CHECK IN - You receive drinks, towels, smiles and speedy service. I wish i could remember the name of the gentleman that did our check in because he was the best out of all the front staff for the whole week. Always friendly and very helpful.

ROOMS - We had reserved deluxe ocean view and got what we wanted. Large, spacious...the beds are amazing and comfortable. We had one huge bed and my son and niece slept on the pull out sofa which my son says is more comfortable than his bed at home.

MAID/MINI BAR - This is the area where I found the hotel lacking this time around. The first half of our stay the maid didnt do a very good job. One time she ended up stuffing my sons favourite sleeping toy under the mattress. A second time my nieces 'blankie' was stuck behind an orange sitting cushion which means she didnt even move it to sweep or wash the floor. there were times where even the table wasnt wiped. Half way through our stay the service improved dramatically.

The mini bar was awful. One day they didnt even bother to show up and we had no fresh water. Another day no coronas. I called to have them brought over (no one showed up after waiting for an hour and we just went to sleep) and the next day and all the remaining days of our stay we always only got 2 beers where it should be 4.

FOOD - Also not too impressed this time around. Not too much choice but I never went hungry. The explorer club buffet for the kids was not very good. Usually only 3 dishes to chose from and some of them werent very appealing to kids. This area was MUCH better 2 years ago.

POOL /BEACH- This was absolutley amazing this year. The pool was slightly warmed up and was always the perfect temperature. Eventhough I hate doing this, this year i got up early and reserved loungers by the pool. (Typically by 7:30 am all the best ones were taken) the only reason I did this this year was because so many people were doing this and it was next to impossible to find a lounger by 11am. the beach was clean, there were ALWAYS loungers available.

BAR/DRINKS - Drinks and service was excellent. Aldalberto, Migel, Damian and Cesar are amazing at their jobs. They are good at what they do and you will never go thirsty with them around.

EXPLORERS CLUB - These girls work so hard and are absolutley amazing with children. My children always insisted on going to dinner with them and sometimes went to the show as well. they always ensured that they ate at dinner. They had lots of varied activities and sometimes go the extra mile as they did for my son during a certain situation and I appreciate their proffesionalism.

Overall I will go back to this resort but maybe in a few years as our children are getting too big for such small resorts. If you have small children this resort is perfect because everything is so close together.

1 Thank Dori2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Dreams Puerto Aventuras for another family vacation and for once again taking the time to share your feedback with the Tripadvisor community.

We truly apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in all aspects of your stay this time. Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with all the departments involved in order to be addressed and improved. Your comments are extremely objective and can definately be concentrated on such as the variety of food for children in the buffet.

The ladies at our Explorer's Club will be delighted to read your wonderful comments regarding their service and that your children enjoyed the time they spent in the club.

We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back on a future occasion.

Kind Regards,

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We are currently still on our vacation with 2 days left to go. Upon check in we were given a room on the 3rd floor , DELUXE ocean view . Not sure what the deluxe was referring to as we simply had 2 double beds and a toilet that constantly clogged. The ocean view is merely the kids pool with 4 straw huts from the Japanese restaurant in front of us. If you stand on the ledge of our balcony you can catch a glimpse of the ocean. After reading many reviews we did as suggested on check in and requested a room higher up to have a better view and less lobby noise, but low and behold they want to make you pay for what you have already paid for! Why should we have to pay for what our travel agent already booked us for?
Up until today we have been satisfied with our trip and will go into more detail later on. However upon sending my 11 year old daughters into the VERY crowded and cluttered resort store to pick out souvenirs and postcards my one daughter picked up something she wanted and another item fell and broke. She was immediately told she would have to pay for it! Had she been horsing around I would have no problem accepting full responsibility for this but that was not the case! In the end a man came down after being summoned by the cashier to inform us that we had to pay for it! This is merely a fact of principle! I can honestly say I think we are of the very few travelers here that are walking around with money tipping everyone that serves us! Well that has now come to an abrupt end! My review of this resort was to be great however the price gauging for things on the resort would be a downfall.
Prior to booking our stay we emailed the resort with some questions about the Dolphin Swim for my daughters, as there was a promotion happening until the end of March. Since we adults did not wish to do the swim we were told that the kids could pay the $99.00 swim experience price but receive the Royal Swim experience. Thank god I kept my email and had this in writing as trying to book this we were informed NO ! This saved us $120 US so I guess the $5.00 fee for the overpriced broken trinket is a drop in the hat,
Meals have been fair so far, same food at the buffet most days. We did try the Japanese restaurant one evening and it was good - if you are a true sushi lover just remember you are in Mexico - expect it to be different. Service here was good, but I was quite shocked that with roughly only 12 items on the menu - our waiter could not explain what items were.
We tried the Mexican restaurant one evening with the kids - the best part of this dinner was the photos we took with the sombrero's. service was not good at all in this restaurant and not sure if this was due to the fact that there was a wedding party eating on the beach and they pulled servers from this restaurant to service the wedding. We ended up getting up 1/2 way through our meal.
Room service is good as well the Seaside Grill (we ate at this restaurant for lunch)
The entertainment team works their butts off! The resort is lucky to have them.
Shows in the evening were good, but could be earlier as kids tended to all asleep due to exhaustion from full days of sun and activities. Harim and Jesus were great!
The bar that we frequented the most was the swim up bar - Ceasar was our favorite, always remembered our drinks and never expected money for his service and cheerfulness. However he was recognized monetarily each and everyday by us.
Noe who is a bartender at the swing bar was wonderful and always smiling.
Upon checking into the hotel one of my first comments to my family was "If we are 100% satisfied am going to have a custom made piano cover with the hotel logo embroidered on it and send it to them as a gift" (this being the business I am in it would be a small show of appreciation to cover their ivory Young Chang piano. However my $300.00 gift to them went right out the window with the measly $5.00 accident that my daughter had. Making her feel terrible and making her cry may have been the highlight of the cashiers day , but not so much mine.
I picked this resort after doing weeks of research as we didn't want a compound type resort that required shuttles to get from one end to the other. We liked that from anywhere on the beach or poolside the kids were within eye shot. We felt very safe here allowing the kids to wander around and explore.
All in all we like this resort, but there is something to be said for a resort store ( that charges $25.00 for sunscreen) making us pay for a .25 cent trinket that they charge $5.00 us for was disgusting.

6 Thank Kemery6
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking time out of your vacation to share your feedback with us. We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations so far. We do have a team of guest service staff available 24 hours a day exclusively for our staff and had we been made aware of your discomfort prior this review we would have been glad to assist you in any way possible.

We truly appreciate the kind comments made within your review about our entertainment staff and your suggestion regarding the earlier starting time of the shows will definately be shared with our entertainment director.

Your feedback both positive and negative regarding your dining experiences has been passed on to our food & beverage director in order to be addressed and where necessary improved. The staff members you took the time to mention will be particularly pleased that they have been able to assist you so far.

We would like to respond to a few points made within your review. The Deluxe Ocean View room received is indeed the category you had reserved, and was assigned to you in order to comply with the requests for double beds that you had placed prior to your arrival. When your displeasure with the room was brought to our attention, you were offered a room change at no additional cost in order to rectify the situation however this gesture on our behalf was declined.

We truly apologize for the situation involving your daughter and the broken figurine within our gift shop. We would like to point out that it is the store's policy to charge any customers for items mistreated or broken within the store and there are several signs stating this policy throughout the store. By no means was it our intention to make your daughter feel uncomfortable, this is definately not in keeping with how we treat our guests. When the situation was brought to our attention, you were offered a refund of the $5usd paid or the figurine to your daughter in order change the bad impression this situation had caused however this option was also declined.

We do appreciate the offer of the piano that you mentioned upon your arrival however we would like to advise that we pride ourselves on providing high levels of customer service and satisfaction to all guests without receiving anything in return.

Once again, we truly apologize for any bad impressions caused and we sincerely hope that during the last few days of your vacation here with us we are able to change the poor perspective you seem to have of us.

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We returned to Dreams Puerto Adventuras in 2012 although when we were there in 2005 it was Sunscape. It really has not changed much. The food was not as good as it was in '05. I was sad that it was not as nice as I remembered it, but still had a good time and we love the Marina being in walking distance. The have a nice outside bar right on the ocean with swings facing the ocean we spent a whole day there enjoying fellow travelers conversations and drinks it was great.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TripMePlease
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor regarding your vacation last year at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We are extremely sorry to hear that you did not experience the same level of satisfaction experienced during your first visit to this property.

Thank you for adding positive comments about our ocean front Barracuda bar. Please rest assured that your comments regarding the food have been shared with our head chef in order to be addressed and improved. Whilst we recognize that personal taste is involved when it comes to food this does not stop us from constantly striving to achieve ultimate guest satisfaction and all guest feedback, both positive and negative, allows us the opportunity to improve our services.

We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back once again in the future.

Wisconsin
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We live Dreams a puerto Aventuras it is small clean and quiet. We like the fact it is in a gated community and can walk to town every night. They have every amenity available and a great entertainment staff. Food excellent service excellent and a place we will continue to return too. We come here once ahead and the resort staff remember us time and time again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristinep88
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your preference and loyalty as a repeat guest and the time taken to share your feedback with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your return visit here with us and once again were able to experience and enjoy so many different aspects of the Unlimited Luxury we have to offer.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on many future occasions and we will be happy to make every stay special for you.

Kind Regards,

Midwest
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Strengths: friendliness of staff, activity coordinators, evening dinners, room service, check-in process, comfortable beds and service of bartenders.

Needs Improvement: cleanliness of rooms, quietness after 11:00 p.m., evening entertainment (except piano player and duet singers), facility upkeep, grounds, plumbing, add string lining to keep birds from outdoor eating tables, cleaning of beach lounge chairs and maintenance of bicycles.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the third floor near the front entrance.