“Great Spring Break Vacation!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Wisconsin
“Great Spring Break Vacation!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

We just returned from a week at Dreams PA and had a great vacation. This resort was recommended by our travel agent for its size. My husband couldn't travel with us so I wanted a smaller resort so I didn't spend my whole trip looking for my boys at a mega resort. Dreams PA was perfect for this. If I forgot something in my room, it took just a few minutes and I was back relaxing on my beach chair.
The staff at the resort was the best I've ever encountered. Everyone greeted you with a smile and many remembered your name. The pool/beach service was the best. The servers remembered your drink favorites and bent over backwards for you. The same applied to the food servers. Any request was answered promptly. We loved the fact that no reservations were required at the restaurants. Some nights we ate early, others late. We also thought the 24/7 room service was outstanding. My boys loved the chicken fingers and wings. We never waited more than 20 minutes for room service and always tipped everyone as they work so hard to make you happy.
The room we had was spacious and clean. We overlooked the marina side which was very quiet at night. We had one issue with the room but maintenance showed up promptly and resolved it.
We were pretty wiped out from the sun most nights but did manage to make it to a few shows. They were great especially the Fire and Water beach show. There were not a lot of activities for teens at night. My oldest was old enough to hang out in the sports bar but we were usually asleep by 11 each night.
The beach was small but I liked the fact that the resort was set in a cove which was protected by a reef. Two of our days at the resort had unusually high waves and rip currents. We were still able to swim and the lifeguards did a great job keeping everyone in the safe areas. The water trampoline and iceburg slide got lots of use by children & adults!! The snorkeling in the cove was great. We saw lots of fish and people feed them bread so you have lots of opportunities to see them.
We LOVED the little town Puerto Aventuras which was a short walk from the resort. We felt so safe in this town since it is a gated community with guards at the entrance. There is a dolphin/manatee habitat there and you can pay to swim with the dolphins. There are a lot of little shops and restaurants. There was even a skatepark near the entrance which my youngest took advantage of since he brought his longboard along for the trip.
We took one outside trip to the Tulum ruins and Xel-Ha waterpark. We booked through AmStar in the resort lobby and it was the boys favorite part of the trip. We had a great tour guide and a nice coach bus. The snorkeling at Xel-Ha was amazing. Older kids would love this park.
I wish I would've brought my boys here when they were younger. I saw such a great kids club run at this resort. The staff always had activities for the younger kids. I saw several kids who had made friends by the end of their trip. I've already recommended this resort to my sisters who have younger kids due to the great kids club I saw.
Overall I thought this was a great resort due to its size and amazing staff. I would even consider visiting again with girlfriends since I didn't get to use the spa. It would be a fun place to spend a long weekend getting pampered! We met so many nice guests and it felt so family like. Can't wait to visit again.

6 Thank anne045

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

Great trip!!! Staff was friendly, especially Juan, who makes a wicked Flaming coffee. The resort was very clean. It was loud at times, but marble does echo. :). Room service was slow. The burgers at seaside grill and barefoot grill were seriously the best I've ever had. We had 3 kids. The explorers
Club was really for 9 and under. Overall a very relaxing and beautiful trip!!!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank SnazzyPeg
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

Pros
- very good staff at the explorers club with terrific activities.
- private beach also good for younger children.
- easy to get into restaurants. No reservations required.

Cons
- long drive from airport.
- food ok, nothing special.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

My husband and I visited Dreams Puerto Aventuras March 25 through April 1, 2011 with 3 kids ages 11, 8, and 7. This is our 3rd all inclusive family vacation and we really enjoyed the smaller size of the resort, the cleanliness of the hotel, the staff (especially the entertainment team), and the food. It is a real plus to be able to go to dinner when you want without having to make advance reservations and we thought the food was better than the all inclusive food we've experienced at other larger resorts. My daughter celebrated her birthday the week we were there and everyone at the resort went out of their way to make sure she had a great birthday. There were activities for the kids every day without having to check them in the kids club. Rafael, Alfredo, and Sylvia on the entertainment team worked so hard every day to ensure parents and kids had a great time. Lastly, because of the smaller size of the resort we were able to give our kids more freedom to come and go on their own. You can sit on the beach and see the entire resort. There is an adults only side of the resort which is nice if you want to have a day or a nice adult only dinner while the kids are at the Kids Club. The beach is small and protected so it's very safe for little ones. We actually walked down the beach across a few other properties to get to a lagoon with lots of fish for snorkeling and to jump and play in the ocean. I would recommend this resort to families with children under the age of 12 as there is no teen club.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a suite. Well worth it!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank KMG1015
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

This was my first trip to Cancun and my parents fourth, they said this was the worst hotel as far as cleanliness and rooms they had seen. The entire hotel needs to be redone. Both pools are very dirty and slimy, to the point I would not use them. Upon check in we were put in a room with one king size bed for a family of four. The front staff was not only rude they said there was nothing they could do. There were two other parties checking in having the same issue, the next day we spoke to another guest who was also having the same trouble. The next day they did move us to a room with two beds. The entire time there the front staff was the worst of any hotel I have ever stayed at. My father is in a wheelchair and we requested an accessible room the second room had a tub you had to step in to plus both showers leaked all over the bathroom floor and it was very slippery and messy. The rest of the staff was wonderful, very attentive Delores on the beach went above and beyond to take care of us. The food was ok, Portofino's food was very good. The beach is nice but small, there is decent snorkling right in the bay which is nice. The gated community is nice, there was no crime there and it is a kid friendly place but for a Dreams resort I was very dissapointed as far as the hotel, rooms and pool go.

Room Tip: Rooms and hotel grounds are a nightmare
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nel2025
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

this was our second time going to Dreams. the resort is great for families who dont want the huge mega resorts. it is small with great service, clean beaches, and a very nice pool(a little small but nice). the service is very friendly( a big hello to Juan at the world cafe!) and is very good with the kids. there is always something going on at the pool for everybody and the beach is very clean, a little small but very nice.
rooms are nice, they dont stock the fridge as much as they should but if you call down to the front desk they take care of it right away.
they have a lot of entertainment at night good for both adults and kids. cant wait to go back in the future.

2 Thank RYAN273
LaPorte, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

If you are not traveling with children, keep looking!!! There are kids everywhere!! We have traveled many places in the Caribbean and this was our 2nd trip to Rivera Maya, and never incountered so many children in such a small resort. We booked through Apple, and we don't know why this resort is rated a 6 golden apple. It should be rated a 4.

The Good: Service was very good
Food & drinks were good. The Italian restaurant was our favorite.
unlimited fresh towel service
A la carte restaurants (no vouchers or wristband required)

The Bad: Pools are EXTREMELY SMALL so they are overcrowded and loud. It is like being at a small waterpark pool that is overcrowded.
Not enough pool chairs because the pool areas are too small, they have nowhere to put them.
Hot tub on beach side is like a big bath for kids to play in
Hot tub on adult side is very small & needs to be refinished. The rough cement will snag your swimsuit.
To escape all the kids & screaming, you have to go down the beach where its gravel on top of cement, not sand. They need to hall in some real sand!
Kids are allowed to run free, including in the halls of the resort. The noise in the hall seems to amplify and echo. Very loud!
Beach, with real sand, is very small.
Free catamaran ride is fun, but you have to be in line by 7:45 a.m. to sign up. The slots are filled by 8:00 and they will not let you sign up the day before. You should not have to set an alarm on vacation to sign up for an excursion.

This resort is small and land-locked. It felt like things were too cramped and compact, which adds to the sense of it being overcrowed and loud. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the fourth floor or higher.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#93 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,900 reviews

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!