“Great to be back in Mexico! Loved the Barcelo Maya Caribe!”

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed May 3, 2010

After having been away from Mexico vacations for over 2 years, I was so happy to be back! Most recent trips were 3 X to Cuba, which I love for the beaches and people, but being back in Mexico made me feel so good!
We had a long night flight from Montreal and arrived at the hotel at 330am. Room ready and upgraded with honeymoon bonus...I was very happy with the room, kingsize bed, flat screen tv, location etc. Fully stocked fridge, NICE...but never got really cold and a/c with fan, same thing, never got really cold....it was so HUMID all week, so being able to make room cooler would have been nice.
Food was awesome all week, chicken breasts, prime rib, roast beef (excellent quality) lots of fruit and veg...and after visiting Cuba, there is no comparison to food in Mexico, you will not find this quality of food and variety in Cuba.
Drinks were cold, although they frequently ran out of glasses at lobby bar and swim up bar, beer isnt the best in a paper cup...not sure what happened there. Hotel offers house red and white wine, of which I tried the white, no thanks...if you want a decent wine, you had to pay a premium for a whole bottle.....did not like that! If you are at a 4.5* or 5* in Mexico....I dont think you should have to pay for a whole bottle!
People were very nice, met lots of nice people from all over....ola fellow canadians! You're the best!
Overall, had a wonderful honeymoon, great food, great people and weather...wouldnt have changed a thing....(well, except for a good glass of vino!)

1  Thank OttawaLovethesun
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2016

Dear OttawaLovethesun,

Many thanks for your full review and your comments which are very important for us. We invite you to visit our website to know the new Barceló Maya Caribe.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Caribe

Reviewed May 1, 2010

My spouse & I arrived on April 25, 2010(2nd trip to Mayan riveria) - we had paid for a basic package - hotel room . We were offered the 37.00 nite upgrade to enjoy the buffett and a la cartes of the tropical. in hindsight we should have taken the package. Our room was spacious and very clean- comfy bed .We were on the corner so it was very quiet. There is 2 bldgs - Sayil and Labna. Each had there own concierge which was very efficent. Maid service was good (please leave a few dollars for these ladies every day as they work very hard) The only negative was the fridge was not cold but were told that the room fridges needed to be replaced. There was always water, soft drinks ,beer left . Ice machine just down the hall.

The buffetts were generally good to very good - we did not go hungry and always found what we liked. The last nite -Mexician Nite buffett was impressive. Capt Morgans we enjoyed the food also. The a la cartes we had no problem booking - book as soon as you check in but the Mexican a la carte dining room was very warm . Seafood(Capt morgans ) and steak (Beach Grill) was our favorte. It was very hot and humid and we would have paid the extra to eat in the air conditioning of the buffetts on the tropical & colonial.

Lobby bar was pleasant and we enjoyed our drinks . Bar staff very friendly and made it enjoyable. The swim up bars - the solo staff bar tender worked very hard but having 2 bar tenders on may have been a suggestion. Bring your travel mugs with you .

Tthe beach was great - did some snorkeling off the pier and we seemed to have the best beach , lots of chairs - good swimming. We spend most of our time there. The 5 star plus Palace which was 10 minutes up the beach had a rocky small beach.
Activities- there was always activities but we did not paticpate. Ceramics activity was expensive and therefore I did not do it.
But if we had brought teenagers they would have enjoyed the water sports etc. We did Xel ha- I loved it - felt ot was worth the money but if you dont like swimming and exploring in the lagoon-cenotes this is not for you. I did the Snuba - it was awesome - well worth the 45.00 extra dollars. Xcaret - we did the night show only - it was the highlight of our trip .
We took the collectivo (local bus) safe & cheap to Playa Del Carman - bought our souvenirs but took a cab back - about $20.00 . 5th avenue is fun and lots of neat stores. Hit the General store - good prices and no haggling which I hate.
We would go back to Barcelo Maya caribe but would pay the extra 250.00 to upgrade . for the unlimited a la cartes & air conditioned buffetts. The staff are very helpful- we had no complaints.
Loved our trip - wish we had 2 weeks .

3  Thank LisaAnn46

Dear LisaAnn46,

Reviewed April 26, 2010

This is my second stay at the Barcelo and i have to say it wasnt as impresive. The staff and service was much worse this time as far as communication. The front desk struggled with check in and directions to the room would have been difficult if we hadnt already stayed there. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfy! They had recently replaced the matteresses so they were extremley comfortable. The pools and beach were very very nice! I have been to other resorts and the beach is the best i have seen. Entertainment was good and much more interacting then last time. They have kereoke night, miss barcelo pagant, and a michael jackson show along with a decent circus. The shows are both interacting for kids and adults. i traveled with a large group and they did a good job putting most of the group in the same building to make it easier to meet up and such. for kids there are 2 water parks that are really cool and fun for kids. Both are located between the pools and beach which is a great location for parents. A few things to be aware of:
1) if you dont have a club premium package you can not eat at any other buffets other than the beach and caribe
2) if you are traveling with teenagers that are 17.. dont expect to get a 18 band.. they are very strict and will charge you $200 for a new band. (A nights stay)
3) make reservations for dinner the day you arrive so you get normal times instead of really early or late. i suggest to not eat at the sea food resturant. it wasnt the best
4) The alcohol isnt the best quality unless you have the club premium band which gets you better alcohol. There are no quality wines on the resort so dont expect to have the best wine.
Overall the trip went very well, but this time we just noticed some of the small things that we didnt notice before. In the end i would recommend this resort if your looking for a great beach, comfortable beds, and enjoying mexico.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank Ctegl3

Dear Ctegl3,

Reviewed April 25, 2010

Booked trip through apple vacations. Took a 6am charter flight from Boston and all went well. They only had about five stops total on the transfer bus and we were the third stop so we arrived at the hotel at 12:30. Check in went fine and our rooms were ready. we imediately made reservations at three a la cartes and had no problem, basically anytime and any night. We ate at the steakhouse, the fillet was great, the spanish was very good, and the mexican which sucked. the buffet was pretty typical and we always found something, I gained five pounds probably from breakfast and deserts, (and maybe a few drinks) The place was very clean and beautiful, the staff was very accommodating always making sure your needs were met. The beach was great, even has a little reef for snorkeling. Saw lots of fish, and a few rays. always was able to get a shaded lounge chair without reserving for the day. there was always plenty of empty ones. the only bad thing i have to say, as in previous reviews the house wine was really bad, i'm no connoisseur but this stuff was undrinkable.

1  Thank desjardi

Dear desjardi,

Reviewed April 22, 2010

I can't say enough about how great this resort was. We went for a friends wedding. They all stayed at the palace, and my husband and I stayed at the beach.
We were a little scared of getting hassled about the whole bracelet issue (at the beach you have a different colour than the tropical palace etc. and you are limited to where you can eat/drink)
We ignored it and went where ever we wanted. We ate and drank everywhere even at the palace with no problems.
All the pools were great. We did notice that the palace pools were always way more packed than the others.
The Beach was beautiful!!! We went snorkelling right out-front of the beach resort and saw several fish including large stingrays and barracudas!!
Tip: Bring some bread out to the water about waist high water and start throwing small pieces of bread. The fish are incredible.
I love Mexican food so I have to say the food was great. The a La Cartes were good also.
We only saw 1 show "The Circus" you have to see this!!! Crazy what they can do!
We took a white bus into Playa Del Carmen. Everything was totally safe!! Very Americanised though not much of the real Mexican culture there. Tons of shopping and great food!
TIP: Take the White Bus into Playa Del Carmen its like $3.00 US per person. To find it you have to walk out the front gates of Barcelo and stand at the side of the road. As they blink their lights wave and you got a ride. They drop you off right on 5th Ave where all the shopping is. The cabs will try and rip you off. This is a much better option. You can take it on the way back too you just have to find the street for pick up. Everyone was very helpful that we asked. Just show them your bracelet.

The resort was always super clean!! The rooms were well looked after and beds were very comfortable. Friendly and helpful staff.
For a drink try the Electric Lemonade!!!

Will def be going back. But next time would stay at the Tropical. No worries about bracelets/ air conditioned buffets best deal for $ a bit newer and nicer too.
Hope this helps

2  Thank SimplySarah

Dear Simplyarah,

Reviewed April 21, 2010

I had 2 problems--the first was making my reservation with Cheap Caribbean. They did a "bait and switch" on me--I paid for and thought I booked the Tropical /Colonial, and then when they sent the email confirmation, I was magically dowgraded to the Caribe--but when I checked their website within the next couple of days, a package to the Caribe would have cost me $1,000 LESS, so I know that I paid for the better hotel and got stuck with the lowest grade. This had a ripple effect, because my twin girls and I are basically VEGETARIANS, and I checked out all of the restaurants on the Barcelo Unofficial Blog and found that the best restaurants for us were in either the Tropical/ Colonial or the Palace. But if you stay at the Caribe, you don't get to go to those restaurants without poaying additional, and even then, they can never find room for a reservation you.(Once we did get in to the Mare Nostrum, and even though it was supposedly booked solid--half the tables were empty!!!)

I'm sort of getting ahead of myself. The Cheap Caribbean rep. promised to review the tape of my call, and I know what I had confirmed, because I wrote it down, but they called me when I told them I wasn't going to be there and just left a message on my machine saying that they were right and I was wrong. They claimed I booked the Caribe---but I know otherwise. So their message suggested that I ask for an upgrade when I got to the hotel.

Because I had no way to argue further with Cheap Caribbean that I know of, and I was leaving shortly with too much else on my plate to spend time arguing, I went down expecting that perhaps Barcelo would help.

This was the second part of the problem. Upon checking in, I got someone to listen to the story. She promised to check to see if she could upgrade me to the hotel I should have been in in the first place. After 30 minutes of checking on her computer and making numerous calls, she told us that we had been upgraded but that the room wasn't ready and to come back in an hour. We did so, and I confirmed again that the room that we were going to be brought to was the upgraded Junior Suite in either Tropical or Colonial. Well, we arrived at the room, and it was a plain old room at the Caribe. I immediately called the front desk and got a manager. He asked me who did this--and I said that I'd be happy to come down and point her out, but I didn't have her name. He then said never mind, told me no jr. suites were avilable, but I should check back every day. I did so, and after 3 days or so I got a call that I should call the front desk--because I was to be upgraded. I eagerly did so, only to find out that the big upgrade was to be moved 50 feet to the side of the same building to a room that faced the pool. That didn't get me the jr. suite I booked or was promised--it was in a category called Club Premium, which lists all sorts of amenities, including total access to all restaurants in all of the byuildings, but when I inquired if this new room came with all of the amenities, I was told NO. So what was the upgrade????--it was just a hassle to me to repack and move to get the same size room without Club Premium amenities, and offered me nothing along the lines of what I paid for

. Then there was the food. As a VEGETARIAN who occasionally eats fish, I would tell you to run for the hills before coming to this resort. Only one beach buffet ever had fish, and it was in a steam table soaking in water--and it was the same fish every day. The quality of the food was so low in the buffets in the places where we were allowed to eat that it made hospital or school lunchroom food look good by comparison!!!(we were not allowed into any other buffet except Caribe/Beach--and you can't even get a seltzer water with lime at a bar in a different hotel (e.g. Tropical/Colonial or Palace) if your band is not the right color. I felt totally as if I was a third class citizen at this place. In one restaurant (the Spanish--Don Quixote) all 3 of us ordered Red Snapper, and I couldn't even swallow one bite--it had a taste like it was injected with Draino or some other deadly chemicals. We returned our entrees in tact and although the waiter noticed, the Maitre D' never came over to ask if he could help or make something else for us--they just let us go without supper! Maid service was very spotty--some days non-existant. Bartenders were outright dismissive and rude to my daughters who felt equally discriminated against. They would wait 10-15 minutes at a bar trying to get someones attention, and then give up. Money--not a lot, but some, was taken from my room when we asked that the room finally be made up when we left for dinner. Maybe the maid thought that $20 was a tip for late maid service--I didn't mean it as such.

The only good points were the beach--snorkeling near the Palace was very good. The PADI dive school was excellent--not run by Barcelo. Weather was awful but not their fault--what was their fault was not mopping up the slick tiles often enough(my daughter fell and I almost fell a couple of times, and running an open tram in torrential rains, so everyone got soaked.

This was the VACATION FROM HELL--REMEMBER DON't USE CHEAP CARIBBEAN AND DON"T GO TO THE CARIBE OR BEACH AT THE BARCELO. Please read my other reviews--you'll see I'm not a comp[lainer--au contraire!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank reginalampert
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2016

Dear reginalampert,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations. We value your preference, and would like to address your concerns as quickly as posible and we look forward to receiving you again in the future. Regards,

Reviewed April 20, 2010

We were there from April 8-15. The resort is great. I have been down south 6 times and this is the best beach ever. No seeweed, no rocks, the sand in the ocean felt like walking on carpet. We would go far out in the ocean and the water was still up to our waiste, crazy!!

The room were very clean and actualy had the best pillow and mattress. The buffet were great, many choices. We went to 2 restaurant and there were fine but the buffet gave us more choices. You better book the restaurants early as finding spots was hard. The service was great but if you want someone to bring you your drinks on the beach, you better give them a tip because they don't go around asking for order.

If you have children, it has a great park and the hotel beside ours, Tropical, had a big water park. You can visit the 4 other hotels, but I think the Caribe had the best beach.

I highly recommend this hotel for everyone. I think we will go back next year.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!